Best Dog Shampoos For Akitas
Here are five of the best dog shampoos for Akitas that are popular today.
A very high-quality specialized formula for Akitas, the Healthy Breeds brand is hypoallergenic, strong against grease, and smells great. Customers love the scents of aloe, oatmeal, and piña colada. The strong lather provides a thorough clean and gets high marks across the board.
- Non-irritating, hypoallergenic formula is perfect for Akitas
- Strong lather easily carries away excess fur and dirt
- Dogs and owners love the light, natural, fruity scent
This shampoo is well-known among Akita owners as an industry-leader for softening and moisturizing the fur. Nature’s Specialties brand shampoo is top-shelf stuff, having been used on Animal Planet’s reality show “Groomer Has It,” as well as CBS’s “Great American Dog.” The natural-based plum fragrance of this shampoo is famous as well.
- Contains silk proteins which add softness and strength
- Gentle, pH-balanced, and safe enough for use on puppies and kittens
- High in Vitamin A, D, and E as well as other key minerals and essential oils
This paraben and cruelty-free dog shampoo is perfect for the Akitas’ complex coat. Providing a strong lather and cleaning power, Pro Pet Works is one of the best choices out there for your dollar. Recommended often by vets, this brand is perfect for dogs with sensitive skin or dandruff issues. Free of soaps, sulfates, and detergents that can dry out your dog’s coat, Pro Pet Works is gently moisturizing and will suit Akitas perfectly.
- Fights itching and dry skin
- The mild floral scent is pleasant but not overpowering
- Contains almond oil and other vitamins for a lasting fur softness
Another excellent value in dog shampoo is the 4Legger brand, well-known for being an effective hypoallergenic option. A top choice for holistic groomers, the 4Legger is all-natural, biodegradable, and is even up to USDA food standards for your pet, meaning it is as safe as they come. Scented with lemongrass, this product comes with a satisfaction guarantee from the manufacturer.
- No artificial or synthetic chemicals or toxins that damage your dog’s health
- Highly rated, holistic, and all-natural
- Strong lather, effective at removing dirt
This gentle formula is based on oatmeal and honey sage. With natural ingredients, this soap-free conditioning shampoo for dogs is designed to eliminate strong canine odors, and deodorize fur long-term. Some breeds of dogs carry more of a stench than their owners would prefer- if this is you, Nature’s Miracle shampoo may be just what you needed.
- Enzymatic formula gently deodorizes weeks after washing
- Strong enough for big, active breeds like the Akita
- Fresh honey sage scent is well-loved by customers
Akita Dog Shampoo Buying Guide
Akitas were bred for their athleticism, size, and ability to withstand the cold. To keep them warm, Akitas have a thicker undercoat that keeps them dry and insulated. They also have a more wiry overcoat that protects against the elements. This means that Akitas need a soft enough shampoo to not damage their downy undercoat, but they also need something strong enough to cleanse out dirt that may be stuck or matted in their outer coat.
The first thing to inspect on your dog shampoo is the ingredient list. Since you’re considering putting this all over your pet dog, it’s important to make sure that all the ingredients are safe and natural, non-toxic, that kind of thing. It’s easy for a dog to be overwhelmed by a chemical during bathtime, as Akitas are more sensitive than humans to a lot of the harmful stuff out there.
When it comes to ingredients in your dog shampoo, a good rule of thumb is that you want everything to be edible. Not that you are going to directly feed this to your Akita, but rest assured that your dog will self-groom after washing. This means they will inevitably be licking up and absorbing trace elements of the shampoo you select, so it’s super-important to choose one that is fine to ingest.
Some dog shampoos also come with conditioners mixed in, meaning you are expected to leave the product in your dog’s fur for a time, allowing it to soften and add shine before rinsing it out. Not all dog shampoos claim to also be a conditioner, so if it’s important to you that your dog’s fur is conditioned, then keep it in mind as you shop for your Akita’s shampoo.
Shedding and Coat-Blowing
If you’ve owned your Akita for long enough, you know they can be ferocious shedders. Since they have a double-coat adapted for the cold. Twice a year, the Akita will “blow its coat,” and lose an immense amount of fur in a short time. This is always a key time to wash your Akitas fur to carry away excess fur and dander. You may be surprised just how much fur comes off your Akita in this period of time, but this is why it’s vital to give your pet an extra shampoo since it adds to your pet’s comfort and health.
Overall, Akitas are one of the best, smartest, and most loyal breeds of dog on the planet. If you’re lucky enough to own one, the right shampoo is important to find for your furry friend.
- Best Dog Shampoos
- Best Puppy Shampoos
- Best Medicated Dog Shampoos
- Best Dry Dog Shampoos
- Best Dog Conditioners
- Best Hairless Dog Shampoos
- Best Antibacterial and Anti-Fungal Dog Shampoos
- Best Dog Food for Akitas
- Best Puppy Food for Akitas
- Best Dog Crate for Akitas
- Best Dog Bed for Akitas
- Best Dog Brush for Akitas
- Best Dog Toys for Akitas
- Best Dog Collar for Akitas
- Best Dog Harness for Akitas
- Best Dog Muzzle for Akitas
- Best Training Book for Akitas