Originating from a cross of other shepherd dogs and Australian Dingoes, the Australian Cattle Dog does not have the long hair seen in many working dogs. They have white fur when they are born, but red or gray-blue fur grows through the white undercoat as they grow and gives them their distinctive blue or red fur as adult dogs.
Known as “wash and wear” dogs due to the ease of taking care of their coats, it is nevertheless important to get the “wash” part right with the correct dog shampoo. A good shampoo for these dogs is essential to making the natural colors of the coat shine and get the mud off from outdoor play!
Best Dog Shampoos for Australian Shepherds
Here are our Australian Shepherd dog shampoo reviews.
Burt’s Bees products are known for their rigorous attention to quality. This natural shampoo is free from chemicals and made specifically for puppies. This chemical formula is designed to soothe and soften your puppy’s skin and coat and the fresh scent will leave your puppy smelling sweet!
- Veterinarian recommended formula, free of fragrances, sulfates, colorants, and harsh chemicals.
- All-natural ingredients include buttermilk, which soothes skin and softens hair and linseed oil, which deeply conditions your puppy’s coat.
- This mild shampoo and conditioner is pH balanced especially for all dogs and puppies.
FURminatordeShedding shampoo is ideal for German Shepherds and helps remove excess hair. Unlike brushing and combing, deShedding is done to remove the loose dead undercoat from the pet without cutting or damaging the topcoat. FURminator also helps to soothe dry skin.
- Enriched with Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids, Calendula extract and Papaya Leaf Extract.
- FURminator promotes a healthy skin and coat.
- This formula helps keep the coat free of debris.
Our lavender chamomile pet shampoo is pH balanced for a sensitive and full body clean. This coat conditioning offers coat conditioning, detangling and skin moisturizing. Wahl has been serving groomers for over fifty years.
- Wahl is pH balanced, alcohol free, paraben free and PEG-80 free.
- Wahl has a higher concentration of coconut derived agent which means it doesn’t require as much shampoo as others.
- The calming pet shampoo is sensitive enough for even the most severe allergies.
Hertz Best Shampoo is specifically designed to bring out the brightness and luster of your pet’s fur while not bleaching or irritating the skin. Hertz detangles your pet’s fur and prevents future tangles. And, this 2018 Women’s Choice Award recipient is made of pet safe ingredients.
- Soothing cherry blossom scent.
- The sudsy solution is formulated for sensitive skin.
- Brings out the natural brilliance of the coat.
Australian Shepherd Dog Shampoo Buyer’s Guide
Australian Shepherds, with their beautiful long fur, may require baths more frequently than their short-haired kin. To ensure that bath time is as pain-free as possible for both the dog and its owner, look for the following features in a shampoo for your Australian Shepherd:
Many shampoos are made from chemical detergents, which can cause dryness in a dog’s skin and fur, which may in turn become coarse and weak and may shed more easily. Avoid this by looking for the many dog shampoos that are either soapless or made tear-free with natural soaps.
Free of parabens and sulfates
Australian Shepherds can have sensitive skin, and may react to harsh chemicals present in many shampoos. These chemicals sometimes enhance the sudsiness of the shampoo, and other times are put there as part of achieving a particular scent. Nevertheless, avoid these ingredients by looking for products that state they are free from parabens and sulfates.
Suitable for light fur coats
There is a lot of white fur on Australian Shepherds, and the distinct tri-color appearance of their overall coat is a hallmark of the breed. A good shampoo for these dogs will cause the lighter fur to look very bright, making both you and your dog proud to show as a member of this loveable breed!
As high-energy dogs, bath time can be a mess for Australian Shepherds. Many shampoos have a calming scent that may make the bath more comfortable for the dog and help prevent re-dirtying the coat immediately after the bath. There’s nothing worse than a clean wet dog becoming a dirty wet dog!
- Best Dog Shampoos
- Best Puppy Shampoos
- Best Medicated Dog Shampoos
- Best Dry Dog Shampoos
- Best Dog Conditioners
- Best Hairless Dog Shampoos
- Best Antibacterial and Anti-Fungal Dog Shampoos
- Best Australian Shepherd Essentials, Accessories, and Toys
- Best Dog Food for Australian Shepherds
- Best Dog Crate for Australian Shepherds
- Best Dog Bed for Australian Shepherds
- Best Dog Brush for Australian Shepherds
- Best Dog Toys for Australian Shepherds
- Best Dog Collar for Australian Shepherds
- Best Dog Harness for Australian Shepherds
- Best Dog Muzzle for Australian Shepherds