Lucky for you and your pup, your Cairn Terrier does not need be bathed very often. As with other pups with rough, wiry coats, it’s actually important not to give your pup regular baths as they are prone to dry skin. When it’s time, however, it’s a good idea to use a shampoo that is specifically designed for Cairns and other dogs with crisp and wiry coats. If you trim any mats and brush your pup’s hair at least once a week, a monthly bath should suffice to maintain the health of your Cairn Terrier’s unique double coat.
Best Dog Shampoo for Cairn Terriers
Here are our dog shampoo for Cairn Terriers reviews.
This Cairn Terrier Coat Care Grooming Kit by Kelco gives you everything you need to groom your pup. The concentrated formulas are designed for the rough texture of your Cairn’s outer coat.
- All-natural ingredients
- Hand-picked by certified master groomer
- Includes shampoo, de-mat spray and conditioner
Moosh Natural Dog Shampoo is a premium shampoo designed for pups like Cairn Terriers with sensitive skin. This all-natural blend contains shea butter, argan oil, aloe vera and bentonite clay.
- Enriched with essential oils for a great smell
- Bentonite clay for natural healing abilities
- No sulfates, preservatives or chemicals
Isle of Dogs Coature No. 33 is a coarse coat dog shampoo contains seaweed extract, which is known for being a non-oily hydrating ingredient.The primrose vanilla scent will leave your Cairn smelling great.
- Conditioning and hydrating
- Great for terriers and dogs with wire or crisp coats
- Ultra-rich formula to retain texture
Chris Christensen Spectrum One Shampoo is specially formulated for dogs with coarse and rough-coated breeds. It is designed to restore the unique texture of your Cairn’s coat.
- Will not dry the skin or coat
- Pleasant, neutral scent
- Restores spring to your dog’s crisp coat
Bio-Groom Wiry Coat Shampoo is a specialty shampoo, designed to maintain the texture of your Cairn’s wiry coat.This unique formula contains cleansers derived from corn, coconut and palm kernel oils.
- Adds coarseness to your Cairn’s outer coat
- Cruelty and soap free
- Free of parabens and artificial thickeners
Cairn Terrier Dog Shampoo Buyer’s Guide
Cairn Terriers are adorably shaggy with coarse, wiry outer coats and dense, but soft, undercoats. These coats need special attention in grooming and cleansing. Cairns need a shampoo formula that will not irritate their sensitive skinand should be free of any known irritants. It’s also important to choose a blend specially formulated for breeds with wiry coats, to maintain the coarse texture without weighing it down. Specialty shampoos are sometimes more expensive, but are often concentrated, so only a small amount is needed once a month for proper care.
Our buying guide reviews the best dog shampoo for Cairn Terriers on the market so you can choose the right one for your dog. The benefits of using the correct shampoo for your Cairn Terrier are included below and will help you to choose the right shampoo for your dog.
Healthy Skin and Coat
The best ingredients for your Cairn’s sensitive skin are those that deliver proper moisture without weighing down his outer coat. Choose ingredients that do not leave residue or soften the coat, such as coconut oil, seaweed or oatmeal. Ideally, your Cairn’s shampoo will contain no soap, as this can dry the skin. Make sure you rinse very well to remove any shampoo from the dense undercoat.
Coat Texture and Appearance
Using a regular dog shampoo on your Cairn will strip the hard, outer coat of its natural oils, which are important for protecting his sensitive skin from the outer elements. Shampoos designed to soften or moisturize coats will only flatten your Cairn’s coat, leaving it oily and heavy. Shampoos for Cairns are designed to “spring” the wiry topcoat back up and cleanse the inner coat too. A good brush at least once a week will keep the coat from looking dull and reduce the need for bathing as well.
- Best Dog Shampoos
- Best Puppy Shampoos
- Best Medicated Dog Shampoos
- Best Dry Dog Shampoos
- Best Dog Conditioners
- Best Hairless Dog Shampoos
- Best Antibacterial and Anti-Fungal Dog Shampoos
- Best Dog Food for Cairn Terriers
- Best Puppy Food for Cairn Terriers
- Best Dog Crate for Cairn Terriers
- Best Dog Bed for Cairn Terriers
- Best Dog Brush for Cairn Terriers
- Best Dog Toys for Cairn Terriers
- Best Dog Collar for Cairn Terriers
- Best Dog Harness for Cairn Terriers
- Best Dog Muzzle for Cairn Terriers