Alert, active, and affectionate are some words that aptly describe Shetland Sheepdogs. These cute little pooches originated as herding dogs in the Shetland Islands in Scotland. Shetland Sheepdogs are known for their characteristic stunning coat that needs a fair bit of grooming to ensure that they look dapper every day.
As a new parent to a Shetland Sheepdog, one of the first items you will need to invest in is a good quality shampoo. We are happy to share the details of our best dog shampoo for Shetland Sheepdogs.
Best Dog Shampoos for Shetland Sheepdogs
Here are our dog shampoos for Shetland Sheepdogs reviews.
Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Fragrance Free Dog & Cat Shampoo, 16-oz bottle is an excellent shampoo for Shetland Sheepdogs, especially if they are suffering from dry and itchy skin. This shampoo leaves your Shetland Sheepdog fresh and cuddly to the next few days. The natural ingredients in this shampoo focus on nourishing and deodorizing that will promote healthy and luscious hair all year round and even reduces shedding.
- 100% chemical-free and biodegradable.
- Best for pets with skin sensitivities.
- Smells of vanilla and almond extracts.
John Paul Pet Sensitive Skin Formula Oatmeal Dog & Cat Shampoo is an ideal choice of Shetland Sheepdogs with skin irritations. The shampoo gently soothes and moisturizes your Shetland sheepdog’s dry, flaky skin with a specially formulated blend of natural ingredients like aloe, oatmeal, chamomile, etc. This is undoubtedly a salon-quality shampoo!
- Keeps coat clean and hydrated.
- Almond extract gives a long-lasting fragrance.
- 100% cruelty proof
Hartz Groomer’s Best 3-in-1 Conditioning Dog Shampoo, 18-oz bottle will take care of all your grooming needs for Shetland Sheepdog in a single go. This shampoo first cleans your Shetland Sheepdog of dirt and grime from the tightest spots leaving the coat and skin silky and moisture. Not to mention the tropical smell that will last for a few days.
- Gentle for a young Shetland Sheepdog.
- Ideal for easy grooming.
- Contains vitamin b5
Groom your Shetland Sheepdog with some of the gentlest ingredients in the world that will soothe the itchy skin and leave it perfectly nourished to help Shetland Sheepdog stay fresh. Burt’s Bees Itch Soothing Shampoo with Honeysuckle for Dogs is a beautiful choice indeed! This fantastic shampoo promotes healthy growth and a shiny coat.
- Has a PH balance formula.
- 97% natural and cruelty-free.
- Contains no sulfates at all.
TropiClean Deep Cleaning Berry & Coconut Dog & Cat Shampoo is gentle but thoroughly cleanses and moisturizes the fur and skin in Shetland Sheepdogs, leaving his coat soft and clean with a healthy glow. They are made from natural ingredients and free from parabens or dyes. An excellent choice for the style-conscious pets!
- Retains the skin’s essential oils and keeps skin moisturized.
- Smells like berries.
- Healthy for the coat and skin.
Dog Shampoos For Shetland Sheepdogs Buyer’s Guide
Your beloved Shetland Sheepdogs have a beautiful and long coat of fur that is straight and harsh with a dense undercoat that is prone to shedding. It requires quite a bit of grooming and a reasonable amount of effort to maintain the coat. A good quality dog shampoo is a must-buy for any new doggie parent, even more so if it is a Shetland Sheepdog. Buying the right dog shampoo would also need a bit of care and a lot of research.
Let us discuss what factors need to be considered before buying a dog shampoo for Shetland Sheepdogs:
While buying a dog shampoo for your Shetland Sheepdogs, you need to determine the type of skin as the right type of shampoo will nourish their skin and coat rather than cause irritations.
If your dog experiences dry, flaky, or itchy skin, then a soft and gentle moisturizing shampoo will be the best option. If your Shetland Sheepdog is allergic to anything or has a skin disease, then you need to opt for vet recommended medication shampoos.
The age of the Shetland Sheepdogs also matters while planning to buy a shampoo for them as pups and adults have different needs. Moreover, a pup needs a lot of milder and tear-free shampoo as compared to an adult dog.
If your dog is particularly opposed to the idea of water, there are waterless shampoos or shampoo wipes for grooming purposes. Keep in mind what you want to achieve by bathing your Shetland Sheepdogs in the shampoo before buying the product.
Consider buying a shampoo with harsh chemicals that could negatively impact your Shetland sheepdog’s skin and coat. Read the labels carefully to check for harmful ingredients and other things that may not suit your Shetland sheepdog’s skin. Always buy a shampoo with natural ingredients and free from parabens, sulfates, or other harmful chemicals.
Types of shampoos
Shampoos for Shetland Sheepdogs come in many varieties; what you need to do as a dog parent is to select the best out of the lot. You can choose from a range of shampoo types to ensure your Shetland Sheepdogs have the best coats possible.
- Deodorizing Shampoo: Smell your Shetland Sheepdog from miles away with these fragrant and fresh shampoos. It will surely get rid of the odor problem in most dogs.
- Herbal protein shampoo: Made of natural, plant-based materials that conditions and cleans the coat nicely.
- Flea and Tick Shampoo: These shampoos keep fleas and ticks away from your Shetland Sheepdog.
- Deep cleansing shampoo: Best for those dogs whose skin has become dry after excessive use of branded and natural families.
- Nourishing shampoos: These shampoos are packed with other vitamins and minerals that will promote a luscious and glowing coat and skin.
- Itching shampoos: This shampoo deals with your Shetland sheepdog’s itching and scratching issue, common in dogs with skin disease and irritations.
- Puppy shampoo: These shampoos are tear-free and chemical-free, mild on young Shetland Sheepdog, and promote well-nourished and moisturized skins.
- Best Dog Shampoos
- Best Puppy Shampoos
- Best Medicated Dog Shampoos
- Best Dry Dog Shampoos
- Best Dog Conditioners
- Best Hairless Dog Shampoos
- Best Antibacterial and Anti-Fungal Dog Shampoos
- Best Dog Food for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Puppy Food for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Crate for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Bed for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Brush for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Toys for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Collar for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Harness for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Muzzle for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Training Book for Shetland Sheepdogs