Frequent baths are essential for a Shih Tzu, so it’s important to find the right shampoo for your pet. A Shih Tzu should be bathed at least once every three weeks and more if they Shi Tzu is in a position where they are sweating more or getting dirty. Baths help distribute oil and the right shampoo will support keeping the skin properly moisturized to prevent dry skin or a brittle coat.
The best shampoo for your Shih Tzu will gently remove oils while not striping the coat. It must be free of harsh chemicals, as Shih Tzus are prone to allergic reactions. And, the owner of a Shih Tzu should also consider a shampoo that is conditioning, or adding an additional conditioner to the bathing process.
Best Dog Shampoos for Shih Tzus
Here are our Shih Tzu dog shampoo reviews.
Drama Queen Shampoo is made specifically for Shih Tzus! This shampoo cleans and clarifies and also has luxurious argan and jojoba oil to hydrate and soothe your dog’s coat. This shampoo also contains the subtle fragrance of vanilla and jasmine.
- This natural shampoo moisturizes as it cleanses the coat of residue.
- Moisturizing ingredients like argan oil, jojoba oil and keratin soothe even the most sensitive coats.
- This shampoo is paraben free and hypoallergenic.
Espree’s Silky Show shampoo is formulated with natural sill and safflower oil to clean and moisturize. This formula will help improve texture and shine, especially on long coats of the Shih Tzu. Espree also adds to additional shine and manageability.
- Specially formulated for Shih Tzus, this formula improves texture and shine.
- Espree is made with 100% organically grown aloe vera.
- This formula conditions damaged goods.
Healthy Breeds is the ultimate in natural shampoos and conditions for your Shih Tzu. This formula conditions the coat and re-moisturizes the coat. And, free from chemicals, this formula is excellent for the sensitive skin of the Shih Tzu.
- Healthy Breeds features the natural ingredients of chamomile, cactus, calendula and fir needle oil.
- The luxurious shampoo gentle conditions the coat while moisturizing the skin.
- This coat is formulated for Shih Tzus who have skin allergies.
The bright white formula is gentle and pH balanced for your sensitive Shih Tzu’s skin. This formula uses natural fruit extracts and plant extracts to cleanse and condition the skin. This formula is created specifically for dogs with dandruff, hot spots, rashes and itching.
- This formula is tear free with a long lasting fragrance.
- All natural includes real aloe vera.
- This formula contains no harmful bleaching or whitening agents.
The colloidal oatmeal shampoo helps soothe and nourish your Shih Tzu’s skin. The cleansing formula is mild and gentle on your Shih Tzu’s skin. The formula is further enhanced with lavender to soothe and calm.
- This formula is hypoallergenic and extremely soothing for your dog’s flaky dry skin.
- The lavender from the essential oils have a comforting effect on your pet.
- Honeydew is manufactured in a state-of-the-art facility in the USA which exceeds standards.
Shih Tzu Dog Shampoo Buyer’s Guide
Shih Tzus have extremely sensitive skin, so it’s critical you choose a shampoo that will not cause irritations. And, because Shih Tzus require more grooming than most dogs, it is important that the shampoo that you are using is supplementing that grooming. Are you wondering what elements make a shampoo worthy of your Shih Tzu? Read what we consider crucial factors to consider in your Shih Tzu shampoo purchase process.
Free from chemicals
Shih Tzus tend to react more intensely to chemicals in their food and in their shampoo. Look for forumas that are free from sulfates, parabens, bleach and unnatural fragrance. Shampoos with these ingredients may not only irritate your Shih Tzu’s skin during the bath but can remain on the skin causing rashes and flaking skin.
All natural ingredients
Look for formulas that are made from mostly all natural ingredients, including: aloe vera, calendula, chamomile, coconut oil, jojoba oil and oatmeal. And look also for all natural fragrances in the form of essential oil over anything that is listed simply as “fragrance.”
Hypoallergenic and pH balanced
Ensure that the formula that you purchase for your Shih Tzu is listed as hypoallergenic and pH balanced. Just as eliminating the chemicals, pH balanced formulas will prevent creating rashes, dry, flaky skin and irritation.
Because Shih Tzus require more bathing and have sensitive fur around their eyes, look for natural formulas that are also tear free. It’s important not to risk infecting your Shih Tzu’s eyes or causing other injuries.
Formulas produced in safe manufacturing facilities
While knowing what ingredients are in the formula, it’s also important to know where they are coming from. This is why it’s important to look for shampoos that are made from quality sourced ingredients. Look for shampoos that are created in facilities that meet regulations.
- Best Dog Shampoos
- Best Puppy Shampoos
- Best Medicated Dog Shampoos
- Best Dry Dog Shampoos
- Best Dog Conditioners
- Best Hairless Dog Shampoos
- Best Antibacterial and Anti-Fungal Dog Shampoos
- Best Dog Food for Shih Tzus
- Best Puppy Food for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Crate for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Bed for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Brush for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Toys for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Collar for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Harness for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Muzzle for Shih Tzus