Which are actually effective?
You have to determine what sort of correction methods you are comfortable with, what type of silencer you want to use and what range you need.
You also want to determine what sort of features you want with your device, like a remote control, and then evaluate the results based upon brand name, price and dozens of other factors.
My guide will help you find the best dog silencer for your needs.
These are the top five dog silencers currently on the market:
Best Dog Silencers
1. Doggie Don’t THE DEVICE- Handheld Bark Deterrent and Training Aid
The handheld bark deterrent from Doggie Don’t is the best dog silencer. Handheld bark deterrents are extremely useful, easy to use, and as effective as any other behavior modification tool.
The Doggie Don’t produces a very loud sound both you and your dog will be able to hear and it gets your dog’s attention immediately. This device is very humane and does not spray or shock your dog to correct their behavior.
It has an easy to use button for training, ergonomic design, included batteries, and a wrist strap for you to carry the device.
Why you should buy
The Doggie Don’t works. It’s easy to use, works with all breeds, and is very affordable. Getting this is a no-brainer.View on Amazon
2. Dog Dazer II Ultrasonic Dog Deterrent
The Dog Dazer II is an ultrasonic dog deterrent that you hold in your hand and use it with the press of a button.
To be honest, this is not that impressive of an anti-bark device when it comes to features.
However, this is probably the best budget option that you have ever come across. The price is so low that you will be pretty amazed.
Plus, it actually works. It is extremely effective at getting your dog to stop barking.
All you have to do is go outside when your dog is barking and press the button in your dog will stop.
When you press the button on this device, it admits an ultrasonic sound that only your dog can hear. It will stop any dog in its tracks, prevent them from barking, and even preventing stray dogs and cats from approaching you.
Unfortunately, there is no automatic feature where you can set it up somewhere and have it go off automatically when your dog barks, but for the price what you get is actually pretty amazing.
It comes with a low battery indicator and a belt clip so that you can carry with you at all times
Why you should buy
This is a really simple device that works up to 20 feet away, as long as you have line of sight with your target, and it is perfectly harmless to both pets and humans.
When it comes to budget anti-bark devices, this one leads the list and is able to compete even with the ones that have more comprehensive features.
3. First Alert Bark Genie Handheld Bark Control Device
The First Alert Bark Genie is extremely in inexpensive It is so cheap that you will be able to purchase multiple units for everyone in the house to carry with them.
But just like the Dog Dazer, this is intended for anyone who wants to communicate loudly and forcefully with dogs. This bark deterrent will work to keep your dog from barking. All you have to do is press the button and your dog will immediately stop.
However, this does have a slight limitation in comparison with the Dazer – it only works up to 15 feet with the same line of sight restriction that the other bark deterrent works on.
You have to use this with four AAA batteries, and it still uses the perfectly safe and humane ultrasonic sound waves that the others listed here use.
It is very effective, but you have to actually go out in the yard and approach your dog in order to use it. The range limitation is a big issue here, but the price is absolutely incredible.
Why you should buy
For about the same amount that you would spend on your lunch, you can get this bark deterrent to keep your dog from barking in the yard, or to protect yourself against dogs when you’re out walking around the neighborhood.View on Amazon
4. Zelers New Model Outdoor Anti Barking Device
The way that this particular device works is that you install it outside and it admits an ultrasonic sound to silent your dog.
It is based on the latest ultrasonic technology.
In addition, this device is completely waterproof so you can attach it to a fence post, the outside of your home or anywhere else you like and it will be perfectly fine whenever your dog barks, even after it rains.
This is a 100 percent safe and effective barking deterrent tool recommended and trusted by dog trainers and veterinarians around the world.
When your dog barks, this tool emits an ultrasonic wave that let your dog know to stop barking. It has extended range, so it not only works for your own dog, but it may even work for the neighbor’s dog.
Why you should buy
Because this high-frequency sound device works so well, it is appropriate for dogs of any size or breed. There are two LED status indicators for the battery and for different ultrasonic volume levels.
This is an easy to use anti-bark tool that you will love.View on Amazon
5. ShamBo Anti Barking Device
Like the other mentioned models, the ShamBo uses ultrasonic sound to silence your dog.
This is a totally waterproof and improved deterrent that you install outdoors to prevent your dog from barking.
How this anti-barking device works is with a very sensitive microphone that picks up dog barking from up to 50 feet away. When it detects barking, it admits a signal that makes your dog want to stop.
You can use the first level for indoors, and then raise up the levels for outdoors if you need to.
This bark controller is extremely small and can be mounted anywhere in your yard with predrilled holes in the back that make it easy to hang it on a fence post, a tree trunk or on the side of your house.
It is 100 percent safe and humane for dogs and humans, causing no injury to your dog’s ears or any pain.
Why you should buy
The Shambo comes with a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee lifetime warranty. This is a small, attractive anti-bark tool that has several advanced features, such as customization options that allow you to set the levels.View on Amazon
6. Good Life, Inc Bark Control Pro
- Automatically detects barking up to 50 feet away.
- Use of the remote control up to 150 feet away.
- Adjustable bark sensor allows you to raise or lower the sensitivity of the device
Backed by over ten years of success, Good Life’s Bark Control Pro helps control your dog’s bark, you neighbor’s dog’s bark and even multiple dogs. This device is safe and humane and is trusted by veterinarians, trainers and law enforcement. The Good Life Bark Control can be used both indoors and outdoors.
7. Best Sell1 Antibarking House-Shaped Device Small and Portable ultrasonic Dog Silencer
The Best Sell1 anti-barking device is a portable, ultrasound device that stops barking by releasing an ultrasonic signal to stop a dog barking. Waterproof and sensitive up to 50 feet, the Best Sell1 anti-barking device has three unique settings. It is safe and harmless for dogs of any size, as well as other animals or plants.
- Sturdy outdoor use, designed to resist the outdoor elements.
- Offers three levels of sensitivity up to 50 feet.
- Works with a 9V battery so it does not need to be plugged into an outlet.
8. Modus Anti Barking Device
Modus anti-barking device controls barking and supports dog training. A simple push of a button emits a safe and harmless signal only audible to the dog. A green LED light on the hand held device shows the user that it is working.
- Modus ultrasonic bark control emits ultrasonic sound at 25KHZ, so the sound doesn’t affect anyone as humans hear in the 20HKZ range.
- The Modus device comes with an adjustable anti-static wrist strap.
- The control range of Modus anti bark device is 16 feet.
9. Marialove Bark Control Device
MariaLove anti-barking device is an element-proof anti-bark system that can be hung outside anywhere, including dog houses, fences and trees. This device uses a 9V battery and works to stop excessive barking within the device range. Recently upgraded, the device is safe for dogs of any size.
- Uses high frequency sound to reduce barking.
- Waterproof and small in size, so can be hung in any outdoor location.
- Includes an ultrasonic bark controller that uses a 9V battery.
10. PetUlove Ultrasonic Dog Anti Barking Device
Effective for any size dog, the PetULove ultrasonic anti-barking device works to stop excessive barking and aid in dog training. The small, easy to install device works up to 50 feet. The device is equipped with three range levels of sensitivity.
- 100% safe and humane; trusted technology by veterinarians and dog trainers.
- Does not require a collar; sensitive for up to 50 feet.
- PetULove offers a 90 day refund and lifetime-warranty.
11. DogRook Dog Bark Collar
The seven safe sound and vibration levels deter a dog from excessive barking. This waterproof collar is effective for dogs ranging from 10 to 110 pounds. The vibration levels are adjustable for the dog’s size.
- High-quality material adjustable strap for dogs with necks ranging from 9 inches to 22 inches.
- 100% water resistant.
- Seven unique sound and vibration settings offer customization.
12. BossBee Ultrasonic barking control
This ultrasonic device can be used as a training device beyond barking, including excess jumping or any behavior you wish to deter. Small and lightweight, it can fit in a pocket. It emits a 25 HZ frequency inaudible for humans and can be heard up to 16 feet.
- LED light indicator shows green if the device is working and red when the battery is low.
- Made with high performance ABS material, the device waterproof.
- Operates with 4 AAA batteries, so it is portable.
13. Clever sprouts Anti Barking Device
The Clever Spouts anti-barking device stops excessive barking and also deters unwanted behavior, such as digging or chewing. The bird house design, in combination with it’s waterproof ABC plastic design, makes it a decorative element to any outdoor scene. The Clever Sprouts device is effective within 50 feet.
- Shatter resistant, attractive bird house design made of ABC plastic to combat the elements.
- Effective for up to 50 feet.
- Ultrasonic frequency is not harmful to pets and is inaudible to humans.
14. Zomma Bark Control Device
With upgraded technology, the 2019 Zomma bark control device is effective for dogs over six months of age and up to 25 feet away. Designed for easy hanging, it can be mounted to the side of a house, tree or fence. Uses a 9V battery with an estimated six month battery life.
- Waterproof, easy to hang outside.
- Effective for up to 25 feet.
- 100% safe for dogs, pets, plants and humans.
- Effective for up to 50 feet.
- Operates on a 9V battery with low battery indicator.
- Call, chat or email with our expert PetSafe US-based customer care specialists six days a week;
16. Frienda LED Ultrasonic Dog Repeller and Trainer Device
This easy to operate, hand held device is extremely portable to carry around while training, jogging and training. The multi-function is expert training tool can also prevent dog attacks and provides security. The device also operates as a flashlight.
- Size of the device is approx. 12.5 x 4.5 x 2.6 cm (LWH), making it portable and handheld
- Not just a training tool, it also can prevent you from dog attacks.
- Audible only to dogs, harmless and can be used as a flashlight.
17. Tenlso Anti Barking Device
The Tenslo Anti-Barking device has four range sensitivity settings, including test mode, low mode, middle mode and high mode. Made of waterproof ABS material, this device is operational within 50 feet. The microphone picks up the barking and activates a safe, high pitch ultrasonic sound.
- Powered by 9V battery, there are four sensitivity settings.
- Effective for dogs over 6 months of age, the device works up to 50 feet away.
- Ultrasonic frequency is not harmful to pets and is inaudible to humans.
18. TAKUSKY Ultrasonic Dog Bark Deterrent
Built for indoor and outdoor use, the deterrent has two different settings: USB for indoor and a battery slot for outdoor use. A humane way to train your dog, this device also prevents unwanted behavior, like digging, chewing and jumping on furniture. This device is handheld, and its attractive design fits on a counter, couch or end table.
- Great for training multiple breeds of dogs, big or small.
- Available to train a multitude of dogs, from a maltese to a German Shepard.
- Two ports for charging, with a USB for indoor use and a battery for external use.
19. Petsonik Ultrasonic Dog Barking Control Devices
Waterproof with a range of up to 50 feet, the Petsonik Ultrasonic controls excessive barking of your dog or dog’s nearby. With three modes of sensitivity, the device emits harmless ultrasonic sounds to deter barking. This Petsonik device also comes with a free e-book with tips for training.
- Lightweight and waterproof, able to withstand the outdoor elements.
- Attractive birdhouse can be mounted outside in a tree or on a fence.
- Offers three modes of sensitivity that can be customized to your preferred distance.
20. OnGuard: 3-in-1 Handheld Ultrasonic Dog Training Device
The OnGuard, 3-in-1 handheld device does tripe duty: it emits ultrasonic sound to correct bad behaviors, has a flashlight, and also has a loud, pulsating safety alarm. The device illuminates in the dark, providing navigation during an evening walk. And it’s ergonomic design is modeled to fit comfortably in the palm for easy use.
- Simple user system; with one push of a button, the device emits a high frequency ultrasound to eliminate excess barking or deter bad behavior.
- Loud, pulsating safety alarm signals distress and warns predators, human or non-human
- LED flashlight with optional strobe setting.
21. SparklyPets Humane Dog Bark Collar
Technologically improved in 2019, the Sparklypets Humane Dog Bark Collar has an advanced sensitivity chip with seven levels to customize to any dog breed or size. The sensitivity chip monitors the dog’s vocal chords, and sends pulsating vibrations as a warning. The dog notices these vibrations and associates it with barking sounds to safely correct the behavior.
- No shock dog collar, this device uses a sensitivity chip to monitor the dog’s vocal cords to send out pulsating vibrations.
- Durable, high quality nylon material that is easily adjustable.
- Series of warnings, from pulsating vibration to a warning tone until dog stops barking.
22. FIG TRADERS Dog BARK Collar
The Fig Traders Dog Bark Collar is an innovative dog bark collar with three adjustable training settings. The Fig Traders device uses a stair-step training method that safely progresses through each alarm. The indoor our outdoor design is weatherproof and made of durable materials.
- Three adjustable training modes that produce soft beeps in a star step training process to redirect behavior.
- Long-lasting rechargeable battery life
- Adjustable and durable design with high quality nylon material made to withstand the elements.
23. Yuanaki Anti Bark Dog Collar
With customized training methods, from beep to humane shock, the Yuanaki anti-bark collar is lightweight and designed to fit many breeds and sizes of dog. The Yuanaki design boasts no false triggers, as it is only triggered by the dog’s vocal cords. Constructed of weatherproof material, this is suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
- Yuanaki is sensitive to the dog’s own vocal cords, so the dog will not be shocked by a surrounding device or experience a false trigger.
- Adjustable strap made to fit dogs from 11 to 110 pounds.
- Customized training methods that allow user to set at beep, vibrate or humane shock.
24. SPORUS Dog Bark Collar
With five adjustable settings, the SPORUS dog collar allows the user to adjust depending on the dog size and environment. Using a stair step training process, the device first signals a warning, and will only activate selected user setting after 30 seconds of continuous barking. For the dog’s safety, it does deactivate if activated 7 times within one minute.
- The SPORUS collar features five adjustable settings.
- Rechargable, waterproof and can be used in rainy weather with no adverse reaction.
- The collar has two training modes: beep and vibrate; and beep, vibrate and humane shock.
25. Q7 Pro – Professional Bark Collar
With technology updates, the Q7 pro has an upgraded sensitivity chip that senses five times faster than previous models. The collar has two multi-training levels. The collar also contains a unique database with artificial intelligence that has recorded over 5,000 dog barks, so it is able to respond to your dog’s unique bark.
- Collar contains an artificial intelligence base, consisting of more than 5,000 various dogs voices, to filter out and react to your dog’s voice exclusively.
- The collar boasts a modern design with clear digital display.
- This collar was professionally developed in the United States with K9 experts.
26. TBI Pro Professional K9 Dog Shock Training Collar
The TBI Pro Dog Bark collar features an anti-injury chip that prevents misoperation and false triggers. With adjustable training modes for dogs from 15-120 pounds, this collar is lightweight and waterproof. The collar is humane and will deactivate itself after seven activations in one minute.
- High-quality design and material made of IPX7 waterproof material.
- This collar was developed in the United States by and with K9 experts.
- Contains a powerful battery that lasts up to fourteen days on a single charge.
27. SportDOG NoBark 8 Standard Anti-Bark Dog Collar
With 8 levels of control, the SportDog works to control excessive barking. The collar is waterproof and submersible for up to 25 feet. This collar is idea for dog’s over 8 pounds.
- DryTek technology collar is waterproof and continues working up to 25 feet in water.
- Operates with 8 levels of correction.
- Created with a built-in safety feature that shuts off if dog barks more than 15 times in 80 seconds.
28. PetSafe Water Resistant Rechargeable Spray Anti-Bark Dog Collar
This dog collar uses citronella spray to eliminate excess barking. The collar is water resistant and adjusts to dog necks up to 27 inches. The PetSafe collar is rechargeable and uses no batteries to operate.
- The collar uses an unscented citronella spray to correct behavior.
- Advanced technology recharges the collar with a USB, so no batteries are required.
- Highly adjustable, this collar will fit dogs starting at 8 pounds.
29. Petrainer 998DRB Remote Dog Training Collar
The Petrainer 998DRB remote collar is a highly advanced dog training collar with over 100 levels of intensity and a 900 foot range. This device addresses excess barking, as well as unwanted behavior like chewing and digging. The collar is easy to customize with a bright LED screen and push button technology.
- Long range of 90 feet with over 100 levels of intensity.
- Rechargeable collar with memory and auto-protect functions.
- Ease of use for backyard of park training, this collar works up to 330 yards for training sessions.
30. PetSafe Ultrasonic Indoor Bark Control
No need for collars, the Petsafe Ultrasonic Indoor Bark Control emits a high frequency sound that is safe for humans and harmless to dogs or other pets. This device uses a 9V battery and is either hand held or can sit on a table. This works on all dogs, except deaf dogs, within a 25 foot range.
- Ultrasonic technology eliminates the use of collars.
- Uses a 9V battery, so no outlet is needed; place it anywhere.
- Operates in a range of 25 feet, for indoor use only.
31. Hot Spot Pets Wireless Rechargeable Dog Training Collar
The Hot Spots collar uses a voice activated, programmable LCD remote to speak to the collar. User can determine level of vibration or shock. This collar features 100 levels of vibration or shock to rid dog of excessive or disruptive barking.
- Adjustable and waterproof collars works on dogs of all sizes.
- Voice activated LCD remote allows user to determine level of vibration or shock.
- The Hot Spots collar is rechargeable and comes with a charging cord.
32. PetSafe Elite Little Dog Bark Control Dog Collar
This anti-bark collar is especially designed for smaller dogs. With ten levels of static controls, the user can program their desired level. This durable, water-resistant collar deactivates after 80 seconds.
- Ideal for smaller dogs up to 55 pounds.
- Automatic shut off after 80 seconds.
- Collar offers 10 levels of static stimulation
Dog Silencers Buying Guide
There are a lot of different factors to weigh when it comes to choosing the right dog silencer.
The purpose of this buying guide is to give you all the information that you need in order to make an informed decision about which dog silencer to choose.
How to Choose
So, how do you choose a dog silencer? The first thing you want to do is determine where your need comes from. You may be a dog owner who is annoyed by your dog’s incessant barking, as well as being annoyed by your neighbor’s constants requests for your dog to be disciplined, or you may simply be the neighbor in question, where the dog in question barks all night long without stopping.
There are five different types of silencers.
Ultrasonic – Ultrasonic silencers are recommended by both dog experts and veterinarians.You have probably heard of dog whistles that only dogs can hear, and the ultrasonic device works in very much the same way.
Handheld – Handheld devices have you press a button and point them at your target before they can be used. They also often have limited range. The benefit of these types of devices is that they are portable and very inexpensive.
Dog Collar – These types of dog collars may use ultrasonic devices, shock devices or some other method in order to deliver a warning to your dog to stop their current behavior. The type of warning that the deliver will depend upon the particular device.
Citronella – Citronella devices were a common alternative to dog shock collars on the market a few years ago, but they have also been pretty much eliminated due to the ultrasonic technology that is currently available. However, there are many owners that still believe in the power of the citronella device. They work by spraying citronella when the dog barks and are often attached to a dog collar.
Shock Devices – Commonly referred to as shock collars, these deliver an electrical charge to your dog whenever they bark. They are particularly effective, because they are attached to the collar in which the dog wears. However, many health experts do not feel as if this is the most humane way to correct your dog’s behavior.
One of the first things that you will notice is that dog silencer devices have a certain range. Regardless of what type you use, the range is still going to be somewhat limited.
Even the low-end models that cost the least are going to have a least a 15 foot range, while the higher-end models that have a lot of features and customization are going to extend to 50, 60 or even 70 feet from the central location.
Some models have an indicator that tell you when the battery is low. This helps you always ensure that your training tool is always at the ready.
The Dog Silencer Max Review
The Dog Silencer Max has been one of the best dog silencers on the market. However, over the course of the last few years, they have removed their listing from Amazon.com. This product is a great alternative to the above options. However, it costs substantially more. The Dog Silencer Max performs great, but its price tag means it didn’t make our list.
The remote control is an additional accessory that some systems come with that allows you to activate the silencer remotely.
In the case of handheld silencers, the remote control is actually the device itself.
In other cases, the remote control is separate with the actual sound or correction method coming from the dog’s collar or the mounted device.
There are a number of advantages to having a remote control. You are able to turn off the device from going off automatically whenever your dog barks and use the correction more sparingly which can make it much more effective.
If your dog gets used to the correction, then it is going to be ineffective because he or she will just shrug it off. But if you use a remote when you are home, then you can use it when the barking actually becomes a problem.
First of all, you may be under the impression that if your dog is deaf an audible silencer will not work. That is not necessarily true. Some dogs that are deaf are still able to make use of these types of silencers.
However, you should also be aware that audible silencers may not work on very young dogs or very old dogs either. In fact, with very young dogs, you want to avoid using silencers because there hearing is still developing you can damage it.
Another thing you want to be aware of is that this isn’t going to solve the problem of your dog barking. It may offer some relief and get him to cut down on the barking, but your dog is barking for a reason and you have to address the underlying concern before you can solve the problem completely.
Something else to be aware of is that most silencers are line of sight devices. If you put your silencer on the side of your house and your dog is around the corner, then the silencer is not going to work. Of course, if you have a dog collar silencer or a different type, then this isn’t a huge concern.
The amount that you should spend it is dependent upon what kind of features you want. For a fully featured dog silencer that uses ultrasonic waves and has an extremely long range, you might expect to spend a couple hundred dollars on a good one. Whereas a cheap handheld one will cost you as much as a lunchtime trip to the deli.
The Bottom Line
We recommend going with our top choice.
- Best Dog House
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Dog Seat Belt
- Best Dog Car Seat Cover
- Best Dog Bike Trailer
- Best Dog Cooling Pad
- Best Dog Cooling Vest
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Puzzle Toys for Dogs
- Best Automatic Fetch Machines
- Best Dog Activity Monitors
- Best GPS Tracker for Dogs
- Best Electronic Dog Fence
- Best Dog Collar