A lot of pet owners may scoff at the idea of purchasing dog steps and stairs, but these tools really are practical for many canines. They are an excellent way to assist senior dogs and smaller breeds – like Chihuahuas, Yorkshire Terriers, and Pugs, reach higher points. They can also help prevent early onset of conditions like arthritis and hip and elbow dysplasia in breeds that are prone to these joint issues, like French Bulldogs, Basset Hounds – and even larger breeds – such as German Shepherds, Labrador retrievers, Rottweiler, and Chesapeake Bay Retrievers.
If you’re looking for a set of pet steps, there’s no doubt that you want to ensure you are choosing the sturdiest, most reliable, and easiest to use option. But with the surge in popularity of these helpful tools, there’s an endless supply of options to choose from, which can make it hard to narrow down the options.
To help you on your quest for finding the best doggie steps, we’ve compiled a list of the top 5 stairs for dogs:
Dog Steps and Stairs Review Center 2019
|Image||Dog Steps and Stairs||Rating|
|#1 - Mr. Herzher's Warm Cherry Decorative Pet Steps||99%|
|#2 - Solvit PupSTEP + Plus Pet Stairs||96%|
|#3 - Pet Gear Easy Step II Pet Stair||92%|
|#4 - Best Pet Supplies Foam Pet Stairs||88%|
|#5 - Armarkat Pet Steps||84%|
Which one should you choose? Read through the in-depth reviews below to find out more about each option so that you can make the best choice for your beloved four-legged friend. Once you are ready to make a purchase, click on the yellow link to find the best prices currently available on Chewy.com.
#1 – Mr Herzher’s Warm Cherry Decorative Pet Steps
The first option on our list of the best steps for dogs Mr Herzher’s Warm Cherry Decorative Pet Steps. The elegant design and the warm cherry finish of these steps blends in perfectly with any home décor; but these steps are more than just attractive – they are extremely functional.
These steps are perfectly designed to help your pooch reach higher destinations, such as his favorite chair, couch, or bed. You can choose from either a 2 or a 3 step design, and with both options, the steps are covered with dense carpeting in a neutral whitish-beige color, which helps to provide traction control and shock absorbency, and also reduces noise; you can easily use a carpet cleaner to keep them looking fresh, too. The lightweight design makes them easy to transport; you can place them near the sofa during the day and put them by your bed at night with no struggle. These steps are the perfect solution for aging pups that are having trouble jumping. If your pet is prone to hip dysplasia or arthritis, you can use these in combination with a dog joint supplement to prolong or completely prevent the development of these conditions. Based on the reviews we read, customers are very happy with these pet steps; they say that they do exactly what they are supposed to and that they love the design.
What We Like About It
- Sturdy wood construction
- Features a warm cherry finish
- Available in a 2 or 3 step design
- The steps are covered with soft carpeting, which adds padding for increased comfort and noise reduction
- Easy to use
Reasons to Complain
- Some customers said that the quality of wood wasn’t what they were expecting
Final Verdict: For a durable, attractive set of pet steps, Mr Herzher’s Warm Cherry Decorative Pet Steps will do the trick. They feature a lovely design that will work with most interior designs, and they are lightweight, easy to use, and comfortable on your pet’s feet and joints.Chewy
#2 – Solvit PupSTEP + Plus Pet Stairs
Next up is a collection of pet steps and stairs from Solvit PupStep. This manufacturer is highly reputable and offers three different steps and stairs for human’s best friend: The Solvit PupStep Plus Dog and Cat Stairs and the Solvit PupSTEP Wood Pet Stairs, and the Solvit PupSTEP Car Hitch Pet Step.
The two options mentioned first feature a total of four steps. The Plus Dog and Cat Stairs features a modern design that would work well with most home designs. The rail sides and non-skid feet offer stability, and the feature non-skid mats on the risers, so your pet can use them with confidence. The plastic-like construction makes them lightweight and easy to transport, and the price is extremely affordable. They are also available in a size large and X-large. The second option is constructed of sturdy wood with a walnut finish, so they will enhance the look of your home. Side rails and non-skid mats on the risers offer stability and comfort. They are available in size large and X-large, and they fold flat for easy storage. The last option, the Car Hitch Pet Step, is the perfect option to help your pooch access your vehicle. It attaches directly to the hitch of your car, and can be adjusted to fit your specific vehicle. They swivel up for easy storage when they aren’t in use. The two step design features a high-traction surface that offers more security, and the steel construction is sturdy and can support up to 200 pounds.
What We Like About It
- Offers three different pet step options
- All options are easy to use
- Made of sturdy, durable materials
- The risers on all steps are covered with non-skid material
- Little to no assembly required
Reasons to Complain
- Some customers said that they had issues with the sizing
Final Verdict: Overall, we were very impressed with the Solvit PupStep + Plus Pet Stairs. They offer three different options, including two for the home and one for the car, so your pet can access his favorite spots with ease.Amazon
#3 – Pet Gear Easy Step II Pet Stair
The Pet Gear Easy Step II Pet Stair is an excellent solution for dogs that need a little boost to reach couches, chairs, beds, or cars. It features two wide and deep steps, which make it an ideal option for smaller dogs, as the design gives small statures the opportunity to position their whole body onto both platforms. It also works well for larger dogs, as they will be able to move up each step with ease.
These steps are uniquely designed with an incline, which means that fewer steps are needed, thereby the stress on your pooch’s joints will be reduced. Each of the rises are covered with a carpet tread for added comfort and stability. As an added bonus, the carpeted treads can be removed and are machine washable! The step up is easy, too! Just snap the steps together; absolutely no tools are needed. If your pet is suffering from joint pain, using these steps and offering him CBD oil for dogs will certainly help to relieve his discomfort. These steps are available in three color choices – chocolate, tan, and sage – so you can choose an option that will work best for your home décor.
What We Like About It
- Elevated design for easier use
- Snaps together for easy assembly
- Carpeted risers add comfort and stability
- Three color options
- Lightweight design
- Affordable price
Reasons to Complain
- Some users said that they weren’t as sturdy as they thought they would be
Final Verdict: The Pet Gear Easy Step II Pet Stair is an affordable, easy to use dog step that will make it easier for your furry friend to reach his favorite spots.Amazon
#4 – Best Pet Supplies Foam Pet Stairs
For the ultimate in comfort, Best Pet Supplies Foam Pet Stairs is the perfect option. Constructed of durable foam, these steps will not only make it easier for dogs who are suffering with joint issues or who have shorter legs – like Dachshunds, Beagles, and Miniature Schnauzers – reach their favorite higher locations, but they will also help to minimize pain. The foam provides excellent shock absorption and offers great cushioning; plus, they make virtually no noise.
These stairs come in three different size options: a 13 inch tall 3 step model; a 19 inch tall four step model, and a 23 inch tall five step model. All models are extremely lightweight, so you can easily move them to wherever they are need. They are also sturdy, so they can withstand the weight of your furry friend and the wear and tear of his nails (always remember to use a high quality pair of nail clippers for dogs to give your pup regular pedicures). Non-slip material placed on the underside of the steps help to prevent them from sliding. All models of these steps are covered with a durable and soft faux lamb’s wool, which is removable and can be machine washed for easy care. Most of the customers who have used these stairs say that they are very happy with them.
What We Like About Them
- Constructed of durable foam
- Soft under foot and provides great shock and sound absorbency
- Available in three sizes
- The faux lamb’s wool cover is removable and washable
- Lightweight for easy mobility
Reasons to Complain
- One customer said that they were not symmetrical and that he had issues with sizing
Final Verdict: Overall, we were very impressed with the Best Pet Supplies Foam Pet Stairs. Available in three different sizes, made of soft, durable foam, and lightweight, these dog steps will surely make it easier for your pet to reach his favorite places.Amazon
#5 – Armarkat Pet Steps
The last option on our list of the best doggie stairs is the Armarkat Pet Steps. These steps offer the most unique design of all the options on our list, as they back of each riser is open in the back. The design not only allows your pet easy access to those hard-to-reach locations, but it also provides him with a place to explore and play; he’ll love hiding out and playing with his puzzle toys for dogs and his interactive dog toys underneath these steps. They can also be used as a fun tool for exercise or training; place a dog treat at the top or bottom of the steps to encourage interactive fun and teach your pet commands. Combined with a diet of high quality dog food for weight loss and daily walks on a dog harness, regular use of these steps are a great way to help your pooch maintain a healthy weight.
These steps are available in a 3 and 4 step design, and both options feature a frame that is made out of pressed wood, which is covered with soft, shock, and sound absorbent faux fleece. The fleece also provides great traction control so your pet will have more stability while he’s walking up and down them. Based on the reviews that we read, most of the customers who have used these steps are very impressed with them. Users love the design and durability; they also say that they are attractive and that their pets love using them.
What We Like About It
- Available in a 3 and 4 step design
- The frame is constructed of durable pressed wood
- Features a faux fleece cover, which encompasses the entire frame
- Multi-functional; can be used to access hard-to-reach areas, as well as for play and exercise.
Reasons to Complain
- Some users reported that they had difficulty assembling them
Final Verdict: If you’re looking for a versatile, functional, and attractive set of stairs for your pet, we recommend the Armarkat Pet Steps. They feature a unique design, they’re durable, and they come in two different sizes.Amazon
The Best Dog Steps: A Buyer’s Guide
As a pet parent, your top priority is providing your four-legged family member with the very best of care so that he can live a long, happy, and healthy life. That’s why you go out of your way to make sure that you are offering your pooch the highest quality products; you fill his dog bowl with the most delicious and nutritious dog food from the most reputable dog food brands; he sleeps in the most comfortable and supportive dog bed; he has the most secure dog crate to ensure that he is well protected; he has a toy box full of every type of play thing imaginable, including plush dog toys, rope and tug toys, chew toys for dogs, and if he’s really high energy, toys for hyper dogs.
Yes, it’s safe to say that you want to make sure your furry friend is well-cared for. If you’re the type of pet parent that allows your dog to cuddly up on the coach or sleep under your covers, or if you take your pooch on frequent car trips, you might want to consider investing in a pair of pet steps. Why? And what factors should you consider when selecting a stairs for dogs? Below, you’ll find the answers to these questions so you can make the best decision for the furriest member of your family.
The Benefits of Doggie Steps
Think that steps for pets aren’t really useful? Think again! There are a number of benefits that stairs for dogs offer, including:
- If your pup has a difficult time reaching elevated spots, like a couch, a chair, or a bed, doggie stairs will make it a lot easier for him to access his favorite spots. Plus, dog stairs are convenient for you, too, because you won’t have to struggle with lifting your pet all the time.
- Reduced pain. Steps for dogs will help to ease the pain that dogs that are suffering from arthritis and hip and/or elbow dysplasia experience. They reduced strain on their joints significantly pain, thereby improving your furry friend’s overall quality of life.
- Prevents joint issues. Stairs for dogs can also help to prevent the onset of joint problems. If you have a breed that is genetically predisposed to arthritis or hip dysplasia, dog stairs can actually help to reduce the chances that he will develop these conditions.
- Improved quality of life. Canines like to feel like they are useful, but if your dog is having trouble getting up and down from his favorite high spots, he might feel like he’s become a burden. With doggie steps, he’ll be able to access his favorite spots on his own without your support, which can make him feel more confident and improve his overall quality of life.
Factors to Consider
In order to ensure that you are selecting the best pet stairs for your pooch, there are a number of factors that you should take into consideration before you commit:
- Make sure that the stairs are properly sized for your pup to reach the intended areas that he’s having trouble accessing. Obviously, they won’t do much good if they’re too short; however, being too tall is just as inconvenient.
- The best stairs for dogs will grip to the floor so they won’t slide about as your pup uses them, which will reduce the chances of injuries.
- Pet steps can be constructed of various types of materials; wood, plastic, and foam, for example. Choose a material that will work best for your needs.
- While the aesthetics of the steps won’t necessarily enhance their function, it’s important to consider if you don’t want them to stick out like a sore thumb.
Summing It Up
If your furry family member is having a hard time reaching higher elevations, investing in a set of pet steps is definitely worth considering. We offer a collection of high quality steps in various designs in this review; however, if you do decide to go with a different option, make sure that you take into consideration the above-mentioned factors to ensure that you are selecting the best set of doggie steps for your canine companion.