Preventing tartar buildup is the most important thing when it comes to caring for your dog’s teeth. Developing and sticking to a regular brushing routine with your pet is the best way to do this and prevent dental disease. In this guide, we provide the 20 best dog toothbrush and toothpaste that can help to freshen bad breath, clean teeth, and keep your dog’s mouth healthy.
Why Do I Need to Buy the Best Dog Toothpaste?
Some pet owners may think that using human toothpaste for their dog can help them get healthy gums and teeth but the best thing to use is a quality dog toothpaste. However, not all pet toothpaste is made equal — some will contain ingredients that can do more harm than good, so it’s important to choose the right toothpaste. According to experts, periodontal disease is the most common health problem diagnosed in dogs, so it’s essential to choose a toothpaste that will fight against plaque buildup.
Benefits of Finding the Right Dog Toothpaste
There are plenty of benefits to using the right dog toothbrush and toothpaste. Here are just some of the positive results that can come from regular use of these products.
Prevents Bad Breath
If there are times when you’ve noticed your dog’s breath isn’t as fresh as you would like, then using toothpaste may greatly benefit you. While humans typically brush their teeth twice a day, we usually neglect our dogs’ dental health, and as a result, bacteria and germs can accumulate. Brushing your dog’s teeth every day can help to freshen their breath, along with many other benefits.
Supports Stronger Teeth
Regularly brushing your dog’s teeth can help to fight against tooth loss and serious infections. Unfortunately, once dogs lose their teeth, they will have to grow old without them, so be sure to give your pet’s teeth a good brush to keep them in good health.
Keeping Gums Healthy
Foul breath in puppies is caused by bacterial growth, which can also lead to swollen gums. This can also result in the accumulation of plaque and tartar build-up. Using the best dog toothbrush, along with a dog-safe toothpaste will help to deal with these issues.
Avoiding Teeth Pain
Dogs are the masters of hiding their discomfort and this can work against their pet parents. Because we don’t know when they’re feeling pain, gum disease such as gingivitis can cause your pup a lot of agony without you knowing it. Brushing your pet’s teeth at least once every day can help to keep optimal teeth and gum health.
20 Best Dog Toothbrush and Toothpaste
Now that you know why you need to keep your dog’s teeth in top shape, here are 20 of the best dog toothbrushes and toothpaste available in the market.
1. Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste for Dogs
- Non-foaming, patented formula that doesn’t require rinsing
- Enzymatic toothpaste for reducing tartar and plaque formation
- Helps to fight bad breath
- Comes in a delectable poultry flavor
Petrodex is a respected and well-known brand of dog’s toothpaste, which uses an enzymatic formula that helps to reduce tartar and plaque. This toothpaste is proudly made in the United States and is safe to use on dogs more than six weeks old. Petrodex’s Enzymatic Toothpaste also comes in a great flavor, so even picky dogs will love it!
2. Petsmile Professional Pet Toothpaste
- Comes in three different flavors: Say Cheese, London Broil, and Rotisserie Chicken
- Made with Calprox, a proprietary combination of select minerals
- Effective at freshening dog’s breath
- Contains no animal proteins and is free of parabens, sulfites, BPA, gluten, and silica
Made from ingredients commonly found in human toothpaste, Petsmile Professional Pet Toothpaste is odorless and has been designed to prevent plaque. It’s also the only toothpaste accepted by the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC) and contains the VOHC seal. Upon application, this formula dissolves and clears out bacteria and plaque, which can linger between your pup’s teeth.
3. Paws & Pals Dog Toothbrush and Toothpaste Brushing Kit
- Comes with two tubes of toothpaste and three different toothbrushes
- Neutralizes bad breath
- Made with soft bristles and are gentle on the gums
- Its beef flavor will be appreciated by dogs
This brushing kit comes with beef-flavored toothpaste that’s a treat for dogs while the different brush styles this kit provides will help you stick to a tooth brushing routine. Finger brushes are a reliable way to get the toothpaste into your dog’s mouth while the toothbrush helps to prevent bacterial growth. While this toothpaste is safe for dogs, it’s best to brush their teeth with small amounts.
4. Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Toothpaste
- Comes in five flavors: Malt, Poultry, Beef, Vanilla Mint, and Seafood
- No fluorides are present, which makes it safe for your dog
- Won’t leave a stain on fur or surfaces
- Uses a dual-enzyme combination
The Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Toothpaste produces a tan-colored paste that has no detectable scent. Their formula uses a dual enzyme approach that targets both bacteria and tartar buildup found in dogs’ teeth. For the best results, be sure to use direct application through a finger brush or a toothbrush which can help to stimulate the enzymatic effects.
5. Arm & Hammer Dental Fresh Breath Enzymatic Dog Toothpaste
- Available in many flavors, including vanilla-ginger and chicken
- Contains powerful enzymes that help to prevent tartar
- Helps to freshen the dog’s breath
- Actively works to whiten dog teeth
This Fresh Breath Enzymatic Dog Toothpaste by Arm & Hammer offers strong enzymes along with baking soda that helps to break down tartar formation to deodorize and whiten teeth. Its formula uses sorbitol as its first ingredient, an artificial sweetener that’s safe for dogs’ consumption. Using a finger brush or toothbrush as the application method to activate the ingredients, this toothpaste can effectively kill bacteria.
6. Nutri-Vet Enzymatic Toothpaste for Dogs
- Comes in a delicious chicken flavor
- Uses a non-foaming formula
- Proudly made in the USA
- Created using quality ingredients
Nutri-Vet’s Enzymatic Toothpaste for Dogs is an effective dog toothpaste that delivers noticeable results in dental issues such as bad breath and tartar buildup. It comes with a thick paste formula containing enzymes that quickly get to work and is also gentle enough to use for daily brushing. However, it only comes in a chicken flavor, so it’s not the best choice for dogs that have an allergy when it comes to poultry.
7. Oxyfresh Dental Gel Premium Dog Toothpaste
- Made in the USA
- Versatile toothpaste that can be applied in different ways
- Free of any artificial flavors making it a good option for picky pets
- Contains an advanced tartar removal formula
This effective, flavorless toothpaste from Oxyfresh has delivered noticeable improvements in many pups. Because it doesn’t come with flavor additives, it doesn’t have an aroma that most people wouldn’t find very pleasant. Just a drop of gel is enough to provide exceptional tartar and plaque control while providing fresh breath for your canine companion.
8. Vet’s Best Enzymatic Dog Toothpaste
- Packaged inside an easy-to-use tube
- Veterinarian-formulated using natural ingredients
- Promotes healthy gums and fights plaque
- Designed to support the overall health of your dog’s mouth
Vet’s Best Dental Gel Toothpaste contains an effective mix of aloe, grapefruit seed extract, sodium bicarbonate, neem oil, and enzymes. It has antifungal and antibacterial properties which whiten and brighten teeth, fight tooth decay, and freshen the breath. While this toothpaste is suitable for pets with sensitive stomachs, it’s best to consult your veterinarian if this concerns you.
9. Nylabone Advanced Oral Care Dog Toothpaste
- Made in the USA
- Contains Dental-C which is known to reduce plaque
- Freshens the breath and cleans teeth
- Minimizes mess through a no-rinse formula
Since 1955, Nylabone has developed safe and healthy dental chews. Recently, they added the new Advanced Oral Care line to their already impressive scientifically-formulated dental care products. Fortunately, the original flavor for this toothpaste doesn’t come with a strong scent, but it also comes in a peanut butter flavor.
10. Ark Naturals Breath-Less Brushless Toothpaste
- Comes with a chewy center that helps to polish teeth
- Contains aromatic spices that help to freshen the breath
- Carefully made in the USA
- Can be used on dogs twice a day
The Ark Naturals Breath-Less Brushless Toothpaste offers a 4-in-1 dental care solution that comes with a unique texture. Formulated using real ingredients, this toothpaste delivers results that you can smell and see — this brushless toothpaste will do all the work for you. These dental treats also come with a chewy center that helps to promote healthy teeth in dogs.
11. Pet Republique Dual-Head Toothbrush
- Comes with an angled handle that allows you to clean hard-to-reach places
- Built with a small and large brush head
- Medium textured bristles remove plaque without hurting sensitive gums
- Comes in two colors for households with multiple pets
Suitable for both cats and dogs, Pet Republique’s Dual-Head Toothbrush is a must-have tool for your pet’s oral hygiene. Made using high-quality materials, it’s a flexible toothbrush that effectively and safely scrubs away grime and tartar from your pooch’s teeth and gums. Its long handle and wide brush head allows you to use it on both medium and large-sized dogs, adding to its value.
12. Vetoquinol Enzadent Dual-Ended Toothbrush
- A dual-ended toothbrush that’s suitable for both cats and dogs
- Developed with ergonomic angles that make it easier to brush their teeth
- Comes with soft bristles for sensitive gums
- Features both a small and large head for pets of all sizes
The Vetoquinol Enzadent Dual-Ended Toothbrush is a great choice for a small dog or a big dog; its two head sizes are great for pets of any size. It has been designed to remove food and plaque from their teeth easily, thanks to its ergonomic design. Equipped with soft bristles, this toothbrush promotes a comfortable brushing experience for your pup, making brushing easy to incorporate into their daily routine.
13. Virbac C.E.T. Pet Toothbrush
- Comes with a reverse angle and a small head that best fits small dogs
- Their soft bristles ensure your pet’s comfort
- This brand is the #1 most recommended dental brand by veterinarians
- Easy application and maintenance
With 25 years of experience in veterinary dental care, C.E.T. produces some of the most trusted products in the market today. These individually packaged brushes have been specifically designed with your dog or cat in mind, and their small head allows for easy application inside smaller mouths. Perfect for both small dog breeds as well as cats, Virbac is a great option to use for first-time brushers.
14. Nylabone Advanced Oral Care Dog Finger Brush
- Reduces chances of gum disease, gingivitis, and bad breath
- Designed to clean hard-to-reach places
- Made with extra soft rubber bristles
- Helps to remove tartar and plaque
Most adult dogs aren’t particularly fond of brushing their teeth, but thanks to the Nylabone Advanced Oral Care Dog Finger Brush, you won’t have to struggle as much. Studded with many rubber bristles, this finger brush will help you develop a regular oral care schedule with your pup through gentle teeth scrubbing. It’s also been designed to remove tartar and plaque buildup even in places that are hard to reach while preventing gum disease and bad breath.
15. Burt’s Bees for Dogs Fresh Breath Toothpaste
- Made in the USA
- Contains peppermint for minty-fresh breath
- Can be used every day
- A natural toothpaste that’s free of additives and is cruelty-free
Burt’s Bees for Dogs Fresh Breath Toothpaste comes with peppermint oil to provide your furbaby with the dental care it deserves. This helps to freshen bad breath, remove plaque, and keep your dog’s pearly whites shining. It’s also made with natural ingredients and is free from all kinds of bad ingredients such as sulfates, colorants, and fragrances.
16. Every Day Naturals NoBrush Toothpaste
- 4-in-1 dental chews with a toothpaste center
- Made with natural ingredients
- Made in USA
- Free from preservatives and artificial colors
The Every Day Naturals NoBrush Toothpaste contains natural breath fresheners like vanilla, chlorophyll, clove, and cinnamon to keep your pup’s kisses sweet. This fast-acting chewable can quickly make teeth cleaner and whiter when used twice a day. It’s also made with natural ingredients and is free from soy, wheat, corn, preservatives, and artificial colors.
17. Petosan Chicken Flavor Dog & Cat Toothpaste
- This poultry-flavored toothpaste
- Helps to control tartar through pyrophosphates
- Formulate to be used daily
- With hydrated silica for shiny teeth
With Petosan Anti-Tartar Poultry Flavor Dog & Cat Toothpaste, you can make brushing a more pleasant experience for your puppy. Containing pyrophosphates to help with tartar control and hydrated silica to promote polished-looking teeth, this toothpaste is a great addition to your dog’s healthcare routine. Its tasty formula has also been developed for everyday use, so you can be sure that your dog’s oral health will be in top shape.
18. Nylabone Advanced Oral Care Original Flavor Dog Dental Kit
- Helps to promote healthy teeth and gums
- Made in the USA
- Freshens the breath and cleans teeth
- Contains Denta-C to reduce plaque
This Advanced Oral Care Dental Kit by Nylabone features a toothbrush with nylon bristles and an angled neck that allows for better reach and cleaning in between teeth. The kit itself consists of a finger brush, toothbrush, and a tube of toothpaste that’s made with Denta-C, which helps to fight against plaque. It’s also been made specifically for adult dogs — the larger brush is able to gently massage the teeth and gums.
19. Vetoquinol Enzadent Enzymatic Poultry Flavor Toothpaste
- Features a delicious poultry flavor
- Specifically formulated to be swallowed by pets
- Easy to use without any rinsing needed
- Suitable for both cats and dogs to use
The Vetoquinol Enzadent Enzymatic Poultry Flavor Toothpaste is a pet-friendly and handy toothpaste that comes in an exciting poultry flavor. It features safe ingredients such as purified water, poultry extract, zinc gluconate, potassium thiocyanate, calcium lactate, and vitamin E. Because this easy-to-use toothpaste can be swallowed by cats and dogs, there’s no cleaning involved!
20. RADIUS USDA Organic Dog Toothpaste
- Contains coconut oil to whiten teeth
- Safe for dogs of all ages
- Free of any harmful substances
- Cinnamon works to protect teeth against tooth decay
Formulated with a unique blend of sweet potato, cinnamon, and coconut oil, RADIUS USDA Organic Dog Toothpaste is most certainly a healthy and natural option. As such, it doesn’t contain any chemicals, pesticides, detergents, xylitol, GMOs, glutens, parabens, synthetics, or fluorides of any kind. Finally, its cool mint flavor helps to keep your puppy’s breath fresh the whole day.
What You Should Look for in Dog Toothbrush and Toothpaste
There are a few things you will need to look for before choosing the right dog toothpaste for your furry friend. Unfortunately, human toothpaste are actually harmful to canines, which is why it’s essential to look for a product that will be safe for them. It’s also important to look for an enzymatic toothpaste, which helps to break down tartar and plaque; something that’s hard to do through brushing alone.
Below are a few features that you may want to consider when looking for the best toothbrushes and toothpaste for your loving and adorable puppy.
Be sure to look for natural ingredients that will benefit your dogs’ oral health to keep their teeth and gums at their best. Avoid all kinds of additives, synthetic ingredients, preservatives, and other harmful ingredients.
When choosing the right toothbrush for your dog, be sure to consider the size of the head, to ensure that it will fit your dog’s mouth. Brushes come in different shapes and sizes, so be sure to check how they can help to make the experience more comfortable for your pup.
Toothpaste and toothbrushes will also have many different price tags depending on the brand, ingredients, and size of the toothpaste. In general, you will want to spend around $7 to $25 on a high-quality toothbrush and toothpaste.
When looking for the right dog toothpaste for your pup, make sure that you first read reviews from pet parents who have been in the same shoes as you. Doing this will allow you to get an idea of the right toothpaste and toothbrushes for your pup.
Finding the best dog toothbrushes and toothpaste for your puppy isn’t exactly the easiest thing to do but once you have an idea of what you’re looking for, the search becomes much easier. In the guide above, we hope that you were able to see a few options that will work for your pup and help them get a positive experience from their brushing. Establishing a dental care routine is the best thing you can do to ensure that your puppy stays healthy for the years to come.