To help you narrow down the options, we’ve read through countless dog toothpaste reviews and judged them based on several criteria, such as quality, ingredients, brand, cost, and ratings. Our research has lead us to select what we consider to be the best toothpaste for dogs currently on the market.
Best Dog Toothpastes
|Toothpaste for Dogs
|1. Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste
|2. Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Toothpaste
|3. Ortz Dog Toothpaste and Toothbrush Set
|4. Enzadent Pet Toothpaste
|5. Arm & Hammer Dog Dental Care Toothpaste
Our first pick for the best dog toothpaste is Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste. When it comes to enzymatic toothpastes for canines, Petrodex is one of the most highly regarded brands. Formulated specifically for pets, this toothpaste is a blend of all natural ingredients that contain enzymes, incuding Aspergiullus niger, and other patented enzymes that, such as alpha-galactosidase and glucose oxidase.
This formula effectively removes tartar and plaque buildup and freshens the breath. According to users, Petrodex Ensymatic Toothpaste effectively whitens the teeth, too. In fact, many people reported that this toothpaste made their dogs’ teeth noticeable whiter.
The poultry flavor of this toothpaste will make it very appealing to your dog, so your four-legged friend will actually look forward to brushing. And since it’s a non-foaming formula, no rinsing is required, so cleaning your pup’s teeth with this toothpaste only requires one step.
What We Like About It
- The formula contains natural ingredients and patented enzymatic properties that are proven to remove plaque and tartar buildup
- It’s a non-rinse formula, so brushing can be done with just one step
- It effectively whitens the teeth
- The poultry flavor is highly appealing to dogs
- It effectively freshens even the foulest dog breath
Reasons to Complain
- Some users have said that they didn’t notice any difference in their dogs’ oral health
- Some people have stated that their pups’ didn’t like the flavor
Final Verdict: Overall, we think that Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste is a great choice. It is highly effective for combating bad breath, removing plaque and tartar, and whitens the teeth, too.
Next up on our list of the best toothpaste for dogs is Virbac CET Enzymatic Toothpaste. It’s specially formulated for dogs, so you can rest assured that it is safe for your furry best friend. This toothpaste also contains natural ingredients that offer antibacterial action. These ingredients not only help to remove plaque and tartar buildup, but they also prevent the re-growth of these agents that can cause serious harm to your dog’s teeth and gums.
In addition to the being able to remove control plaque and tartar buildup, CET toothpaste also effectively reduces bad breath. Users have said that they noticed a marked improvement in their dogs’ breath after using this toothpaste. And, since it’s a non-foaming formula, brushing your canine companion’s teeth only requires one step. Lastly, this toothpaste is available in several different flavors, including beef, malt, poultry, seafood, and vanilla-mint, so you’ll definitely be able to find an option that will appeal to your pooch.
What We Like About It
- The natural ingredients offer highly effective antibacterial action
- It’s proven to be safe for pets
- This toothpaste removes plaque and tartar buildup, and helps to prevent reformation
- It comes in a variety of flavor options
- The no-foam formula requires just one step for brushing
- Users say that they noticed a marked difference in their dogs’ breath
Reasons to Complain
- Some users said that their pups’ weren’t pleased with the flavor
- There were some complaints about the smell of the toothpaste
Final Verdict: While there were some complaints about the flavors and smell, we think that’s because everyone (dogs and humans) have different senses of taste and smell. With that said, this toothpaste provides highly effective results and is easy to use, as noted by the numerous positive reviews that users have posted.
When you purchase the Ortz Toothpaste and Toothbrush Set, you’ll have everything you need to ensure that your dog’s oral health is in tip-top shape. As you would expect, the toothpaste is formulated specifically for dogs. It targets the most common canine oral health problems, including plaque buildup and bad breath. It also provides effective tartar control, both eliminating this dangerous substance and preventing it from developing. The toothpaste is made of non-toxic ingredients, which means that it’s not only safe for your pup, but it’s safe for the environment, too.
Of course, when it comes to taking care of your pup’s teeth, you’re going to need to use the right toothbrush. While there are a lot of excellent toothbrushes for dogs, what’s great about this option from Ortz is that it comes with a high-quality toothpaste AND three different types of toothbrushes: a long-handled brush and 2 silicon toothbrushes (one for large teeth and one for small teeth). The toothbrushes are expertly designed to reach all of those hard-to-reach surfaces in your dog’s mouth, so you can rest assured that his teeth will be in great shape.
What We Like About It
- It’s an all-in-one dog oral hygiene kit, featuring a high-quality toothpaste and three toothbrushes
- The toothpaste effectively removes plaque and tartar buildup
- The toothbrushes are designed specifically for a dog’s mouth
- Dogs love the flavor of the toothpaste
- For all that this product comes with, this kit is very affordable
Reasons to Complain
- Some users said that the bristles on the toothbrushes were too course
- All of the products are made in China
Final Verdict: Overall, the majority of people who have used this dog toothpaste and toothbrush kit from Ortz say that they are very pleased. The toothpaste does exactly what it’s supposed to do, and the toothbrushes make it a complete package for canine oral health care.View on Amazon
This pet toothpaste from Enzadent is specially formulated to combat the oral health issues that dogs are particularly prone to, such as bad breath and plaque buildup. The Triple Enzyme System of this toothpaste makes it highly effective for combating plaque and tartar buildup; it also prevents these dangerous substances from building up on your pet’s teeth, so it truly protects his teeth and gums. Since this toothpaste doesn’t foam, you don’t have to rinse your pup’s mouth out after using it, which makes those brushing sessions a lot easier. It’s also safe to swallow, so there’s no need to worry about your furry friend being harmed.
Users say that the poultry flavor of Enzadent Pet Toothpaste is highly palatable. They actually said that their dogs’ enjoy having their teeth brushed, which is a major plus if your dog gives you a hard time when you’re brushing his teeth. The majority of the reviews on Amazon state that this toothpaste is very easy to use and that it offers great results.
What We Like About It
- This toothpaste features a Triple Enzyme System formula that effectively combats plaque and tartar buildup. It also prevents the buildup of these substances in the future, with regular use.
- Dogs find the poultry flavor very enjoyable, which makes tooth brushing a lot less of a hassle.
- The no-foam formula is safe to swallow and makes this toothpaste very easy to use.
- The price tag is very affordable for such a high-quality product.
Reasons to Complain
- Some users have said that they didn’t notice a significant difference in tartar and plaque
- The flavor may not be appealing to all dogs
Final Verdict: Given the several 5-star reviews on Amazon, we think that it’s a great option for keeping your dog’s mouth clean and healthy. We like that it’s easy to use, and most dogs do seem to enjoy the flavor; however, if your pup is finicky, it may not appeal to him.
Last, but certainly not least, on our list of the best toothpaste for dogs is Arm and Hammer Dog Dental Care Toothpaste. Arm and Hammer is a trusted manufacturer of countless hygiene products for humans, so you can be sure that they offer great quality products for canines, too. Of course, this toothpaste is specially formulated for dogs. It contains all natural ingredients that are safe for your dog and that have been proven to provide breath freshening qualities. Special herbs offer soothing qualities, so if your furry friend has sensitive gums or if they have been damaged by tartar or plague, than this toothpaste will offer relief.
Like most Arm and Hammer products, this dog toothpaste contains baking soda, which has natural enzymatic properties. It’s safe for use with dogs of all sizes, including small breeds, like Yorkshire Terriers and Pekingese, medium breeds, like West Highland White Terriers and Cocker Spaniels, and large breed dogs, such as Irish Wolfhounds and St Bernards.
What We Like About It
- This toothpaste is made by a very well-known and reputable manufacturer
- It is designed to meet the unique oral health needs of dogs
- It combats plaque and tartar buildup, as well as bad breath
- It has a pleasant smell
- It’s easy to use
Reasons to Complain
- Some users have said that their flavor wasn’t appealing to their dogs
- Other people have stated that this toothpaste doesn’t combat bad breath
Final Verdict: If you’re looking for toothpaste for your dog that is made by a well-known company that you can trust, than this product from Arm and Hammer is sure to please. It’s specially formulated for canines, is easy to use, and it effectively removes plaque and tartar buildup
Pet Republique Dog Toothpaste Kit is an all in one solution for canine oral health. The enzymatic toothpaste is a no rinse formulation, that gently removes plaque and tartar. It has a great roasted beef flavor that attracts your dog and keeps them interested in brushing time.
- Promotes healthy teeth and gums, which can prevent kidney, liver, and heart issues as well.
- Includes mini toothbrushes and a finger toothbrush for easy application.
- Gentle on sensitive gum areas.
Vet’s Best Enzymatic Dog Toothpaste is vet-formulated and perfect to clean your dog’s teeth between annual dental treatments. It gently breaks up and removes tartar and plaque build up. It contains a soothing mixture of aloe, neem, and grapefruit seed extract.
- Addition of enzymatic cleaner and baking soda helps clean and whiten teeth.
- Includes a triple-headed toothbrush that brushes several angles at once.
- Can be applied to the tongue, or to the teeth with a finger or a toothbrush.
The Paws & Pals Dog Toothbrush and Toothpaste is everything you need to keep your dog’s teeth and gums healthy in between annual cleanings. It fights tooth decay, tartar and plaque, gum disease, and even bad breath. This vet-approved toothpaste has a great beef flavor so your dog will look forward to their brushings.
- Great beef flavor keeps dogs enthusiastic about daily brushing.
- Easy to use with included toothbrushes.
- Organic enzymatic toothpaste will whiten and strengthen teeth.
Ark Naturals Brushless Toothpaste dental chews are an easy way to promote oral health without physically brushing your dog’s teeth. The chews are designed to be a substitute for traditional brushes, and help fight plaque, tartar, and bad breath causing bacteria. Ideal for dogs between 8 and 20 pounds.
- Formulated with natural ingredients including clove, vanilla, chlorophyll, and cinnamon.
- Designed to be used twice a day for optimal results.
- Delicious alternative to using traditional toothbrush and toothpaste.
PoshWag Calorie Booster Dog Toothpaste is a great option for providing home dental care for your dog. The enzymatic action fights bacterial and plaque build up. It is made with all natural and non-toxic ingredients to keep your dog safe. Vet-grade toothpaste works with any type of dog toothbrush, to help clean and whiten your dog’s teeth.
- Rigorously tested to ensure high quality and safety.
- Use with either your finger or a toothbrush to promote oral health.
- Fights bad breath, tooth decay, and bacterial build up.
Oxyfresh Pet Toothpaste For Dogs needs no brushing to be effective, simply apply to teeth or gum line with finger or toothbrush. With no flavor additives, it is ideal for picky dogs. The professional strength formulation contains 100% pet-safe and non-toxic ingredients.
- Cleans teeth and gums for better overall oral hygiene.
- Deodorizes and helps eliminate bad breath.
- Soothes irritated gums and mouth tissues by hydrating and killing bacteria.
Vetoquinol Vet Solutions Enzadent Enzymatic Poultry-Flavored Toothpaste for Dogs is a premium option for keeping your dog’s mouth healthy. The triple enzyme formula does not foam, so it does not need to be rinsed, and can be safely swallowed. It can treat below the gumline to help with issues that may not be visible.
- Dogs love the poultry taste.
- Non-foaming formula can be swallowed.
- Regular usage helps to combat decay, both seen and unseen.
Petsmile Professional Dog Toothpaste is perfect for cleaning your dog’s teeth 2-3 times a week. Endorsed by the Veterinary Oral Health Council, and includes only safe, food-grade ingredients. Protects against plaque and bacteria build up, and decreases bad breath.
- Active ingredient Calprox is proven to prevent plaque, kill bacteria, whiten teeth, and help with bad breath.
- Contains no fluoride, parabens, silica, dyes, or sulfates.
- Needs no toothbrush, simply apply great london broil flavor with your finger.
PetzLife Peppermint Oral Care Gel provides an all natural and powerful oral hygiene gel. It is formulated to dissolve tartar and plaque, and works below the gumline. Natural ingredients like peppermint oil and grapefruit seed extract help kill bacteria and fight bad breath.
- Does not require brushing to see results, great for dogs that are toothbrushing challenges.
- Helps reduce tartar and plaque build up, and relieve inflamed gums.
- Peppermint, neem, and thyme oils provide powerful antiseptic action.
Dog Toothpaste from bluestem is a scientifically formulated toothpaste for dogs, It contains proprietary coactiv+ technology and is effective against the bacteria found most often on dog teeth. It is made with food-grade ingredients, and is completely safe for your pet.
- Fights plaque and reduces tartar, which freshens breath and generally improves oral hygiene.
- Toothpaste passes the rigorous Canadian Veterinary Health Products program.
- Completely free of alcohol, xylitol, chlorhexidine, and sugar, to ensure the safety and health of your dog.
Kissable All-Natural Toothpaste for Dogs is formulated with natural, pet-safe ingredients. The no rinse formula is sweetened with Stevia and vanilla. It keeps your dog’s teeth, gums, clean and healthy.
- Reduces bad breath and bacterial gum disease.
- Flavored with vanilla and sweetened with pet-safe Stevia.
- Contains tea tree oil to encourage healthy gums.
Zymox Oratene Brushless Enzymatic Oral Care is a great option for dogs and cats that may not drink much water. It protects your dog’s mouth against dryness, while soothing and protecting. The clear gel formulation removed plaque, and inhibits bacteria that cause bad breath.
- Helps to restore the natural protection of saliva.
- Free from alcohol, xylitol, chlorhexidine, and chlorine.
- Helps combat bad breath, plaque build up, and periodontal disease.
Nylabone Advanced Oral Care Peanut Flavored Natural Dog Toothpaste is perfect for providing easy home oral care for your dog. It helps reduce tartar and plaque, and encourages healthy teeth and gums. Peanut flavor encourages your dog to look forward to brushing time.
- cleans teeth and gums for better overall oral hygiene.
- Makes oral care easy, and leaves only fresh breath and healthy teeth behind.
- Peanut butter taste keeps dogs interested and builds acceptance of brushing routines.
Pura Naturals Pet – Organic Canine Dental Gel is an ideal adult dog toothpaste for those who want an organic option. It can remove tartar and combat plaque without the use of artificial or chemical additives. It is formulated with food grade ingredients, and is cruelty free and is safe for dogs to ingest.
- Powerful and effective, a pea-sized amount is suitable for most dogs.
- Organic and eco-friendly, containing no xylitol, chemicals, preservatives, GMOs, pesticides, or artificial sweeteners or flavors.
- Made in the USA at facilities that adhere to environmentally friendly practices.
HDP EZ Toothpaste for Dogs is an easy and effective way to keep your dog’s teeth and gums healthy. It helps fight the buildup of plaque and tartar, and freshens breath. The all-natural formulation is sugar free, sweetened with Stevia, and has natural vanilla flavoring.
- Ingredients include tea tree oil for healthy gums.
- Manufactured in the USA from quality ingredients.
- Non-foaming formulation needs no rinse.
Triple Pet EZ Vanilla Mint Dog Toothpaste helps keep your dog’s teeth in great shape by reducing plaque and tartar. The all natural ingredients combat bad breath and mouth infections. The non-foaming formulation helps fight gum disease and is sugar free.
- Sugar free formula is sweetened with Stevia.
- Designed to remove plaque and freshen breath.
- Dogs love the vanilla mint flavor.
TropiClean Fresh Breath Clean Teeth Oral Care Dog Brushing Gel helps combat tartar and plaque beyond brushing by clinging to teeth. It is formulated with natural ingredients including spearmint and purified water. It can show dramatic results in just 30 days of use.
- Natural ingredients like spearmint work toward fresh breath.
- Combats periodontal disease and promotes good oral hygiene.
- Clings to teeth, breaking down tartar and plaque over time.
Dr. Mercola Dental Gel with Herbal Extracts is formulated with all natural and plant based ingredients and extracts. It cleans teeth, prevents bad breath, and reduces tartar and plaque with gentle extracts like peppermint, neem, and tulsi. It activates when combined with your dog’s saliva, and coats the teeth and gums, so brushing is not always needed.
- Formula is made with 100% herbal extracts.
- Keeps gums healthy, and fights periodontal disease.
- Works even without brushing action.
bioline 2 Pack of Beef/Orange Flavor Toothpaste for Dogs provides a gentle cleaning option for dogs that may have sensitive stomachs. Completely edible formulation is made with natural ingredients and is safe for all dogs and puppies. Effectively treats bad breath, and reduces tartar.
- Provides whitening and brightening of your dog’s teeth.
- Includes finger toothbrushes and regular toothbrush to help reach molars.
- Promotes increased blood flow to the gums to prevent gum line recession.
Dog Toothpaste Buyer’s Guide
As a pet parent, ensuring your furry family member receives the very best care is a top priority. To that end, if you’re like most pet owners, you’ve probably done extensive research about all the different dog products that are on the market so that you can choose the best of the best. For example, you’ve carefully selected the best dog crate, a supportive and comfortable dog bed, a safe and spacious dog playpen, a dog house that offers all the bells and whistles, and a spacious outdoor dog kennel. And of course, you have also made sure that your pup is fitted with the best dog collar or dog harness, and you’ve even chosen the best dog food and dog bowl.
When it comes to dog care, proper grooming is essential. Many pet parents realize the importance of brushing their pups with the right dog brush, washing their pups with a specially formulated dog shampoo, and giving their furry friends manicures with the best nail clippers for dogs; but, there’s another part of grooming that a lot of dog owners forget about: oral hygiene.
Since making sure that your pooch receives the very best of care is so important to you, there’s one thing that you don’t want to forget: ensuring that his teeth are well taken care of. Unfortunately, a lot of dog parents overlook the importance of canine oral hygiene. But it’s something that really needs to be addressed. If you want your pup’s teeth to be as healthy as possible and you want to combat his bad breath (let’s be honest: a lot of dogs’ have really foul breath!), then you’re going to want to choose the best toothpaste for dogs.
But, if you’ve never purchased toothpaste for a dog, you probably have a lot of questions. In this section of our review, we will answer questions that a lot of pet owners have about dog toothpaste. We cover why it’s important to brush your dog’s teeth, things to consider when choosing toothpaste for your dog, and several other important things related to dog toothpaste. With the information presented in this portion of your review, you’ll be well-informed so that you can choose the very best product for your pup.
Why It’s Brushing Your Dog’s Teeth is Important
Just like it is for humans, oral health is important for canines; especially domesticated dogs. Dogs in the wild hunt and forage for their food, and the acts that are involved allow them to naturally remove plaque and tartar buildup. However, since domesticated dogs don’t hunt and forage, tartar and plaque buildup can become a serious problem. While there are several interactive dog toys that can help to control the buildup of these harmful substance, and you can offer a dog treat that’s designed to eliminate plaque and tartar, there’s only so much that these products can do. That’s why it’s important to take the time to actually brush your furry friend’s teeth.
With regular brushing, you will be able to:
- Remove plaque and tartar buildup. These substances can wreck havoc on your dog’s mouth. They can cause bad breath, erode the gums, and lead to tooth loss. By brushing your pup’s teeth with high-quality toothpaste, you can help to prevent these problems.
- Remove food debris. Like humans, dogs get food stuck between their teeth. When food collects, bacteria grows, and bacteria growth can cause serious issues. Brushing regularly with the best toothpaste for dogs will help to get rid of that food debris.
- Fight bad breath. If your dog is prone to bad breath, brushing his teeth, especially with a toothpaste that is designed to combat bad breath, can help to eliminate the problem. You’ll enjoy getting those puppy licks a whole lot more!
- Strengthens the teeth. When tartar and plaque are controlled, and food debris is eliminated, the chances of gum disease and tooth loss are far less. Your dog will have stronger teeth, which means that eating and playing will be a lot easier.
Given all of these benefits, it’s important to get in the habit of brushing your canine companion’s teeth on a regular basis.
Things to Look for When Purchasing Toothpaste for Dogs
If your dog’s teeth and gums to be as healthy as possible, you want to make sure that you are using the best dog toothpaste possible. There are a number of products on the market, but unfortunately, not all of them are created equal. How can you tell which options are the best? Here’s a look at some of the things that you should be looking for when you choose toothpaste for your furry friend:
- Pet-friendly. Of course, the first thing you should look for is a product that is made specifically for dogs. You should never, under any circumstances, use human toothpaste. It might contain chemicals that might be safe for you to use, but aren’t safe for dogs. You don’t swallow when you brush your teeth; you spit the toothpaste out. But your dog does swallow toothpaste, and those chemicals can cause serious problems; they can damage the lining of his stomach or cause gastrointestinal problems, for example. So, always make sure that the toothpaste you choose is formulated for pets.
- High-quality ingredients. In addition to containing ingredients that are safe for dogs, you should also look for a product that is free of artificial sweeteners or flavorings, as well as alcohol. A lot of the toothpastes for dogs that are on the market do contain these ingredients, and they can actually damage his teeth and gums instead of strengthen them.
- Easy to use. The best toothpaste for dogs will be easy to use. No-foam formulas that don’t require rinsing and can safely be swallowed are the ideal choice. They are easy to use because they don’t require the extra step of rinsing.
- Palatable flavor. A lot of dogs don’t like having their teeth brushed. By selecting a toothpaste that features a pleasing flavor, such as poultry, beef, or fish, your dog will actually look forward to brushing instead of running away.
Dog Toothpaste Review Conclusion
Oral health is as important for your canine companion as it is for you! It helps to combat plaque and tartar buildup, prevents gum disease, removes food debris, and, of course, it freshens your pooch’s breath. In order to ensure that your dog’s teeth are being cleaned as effectively as possible, it’s important that you select the best toothpaste possible.
There are a lot of options to choose from, but, as mentioned, not all dog toothpastes are made the same. Unfortunately, many contain harmful chemicals that can actually worsen the health of your dog’s mouth, and can cause a number of other problems, too! If you want to ensure that your dog’s oral health is its absolute best, use a high-quality toothpaste, like one of the five options we’ve listed in this review. If you do opt to use a different toothpaste, make sure that you choose a product that is made specifically for dogs and offers the features that we mentioned above.
By brushing your dog’s teeth on a regular basis with the best toothpaste for dogs, you can ensure your pooch will have healthy teeth and fresh breath – which will make both of you happy!