Despite being a small toy breed, Shih Tzus have quite a bit of energy! These dogs need plenty of activity, especially puppies and hyper adults, and should be given plenty of opportunities to release that energy through walks and play. In fact, Shih Tzus that do not have the time and space to play with toys or exercise may get frustrated and exhibit poor behavior, such as excessive barking or chewing. These dogs may even enjoy playing a round of fetch, so it’s important to select toys that encourage Shih Tzus to exercise as well as interact with their owners!
Best Dog Toys for Shih Tzus
Here are our Shih Tzu dog toy reviews.
The Hide a Squirrel toy is perfect for your Shih Tzu as it encourages interactivity and keeps your dog engaged, especially when you are away! This soft plush toy is gentle on your Shih Tzu’s gums, but with multiple different plushes, will keep them occupied for hours. This toy is often rated top for all dog breeds, but it is especially excellent for the Shih Tzu’s inquisitive nature.
- This puzzle toy challenges your Shih Tzu’s problem-solving skills.
- Fun squeak noise keeps your Shih Tzu entertained.
- Focuses excess energy on something positive and playful.
Lambchop has been loved by millions of kids and adults alike, and now your Shih Tzu can love Lambchop, too! The soft toy is perfect for your Shih Tzu to snuggle up with at night or during naps. The squeaker brings engagement.
- The extreme softness of this plush makes a great snuggle toy or pillow.
- The stitching is durable and holds a squeaker inside.
- A loop at the top makes it easy to play fetch and retrieve.
The KONG is one of the most popular dog toys fro all breeds and with good reason. This KONG toy is made specifically for small and toy breeds and serves your Shih Tzu’s instinctual needs. It will help provide mental stimulation for your pup.
- KONG encourages healthy play and helps curb chewing and separation anxiety.
- Great for stuffing; fill the center of the KONG for hours of engagement.
- Veterinarian and trainer recommended.
The Ueetek is a pack of five fun soft plush toys for your Shih Tzu. This set comes with fun foods, like a carrot, banana, strawberry, eggplant and mushroom. The bright colors are also extremely attractive!
- Helps satisfy your Shih Tzu’s natural urge to chew.
- Also helps Shih Tzu’s release anxiety.
- Made of a soft material perfect for fetch!
Despite being small dogs, Shih Tzus have a lot of energy and love to play! This natural puppy rope encourages healthy play and chewing and is perfect for fetch and tug o’ war. With Puppy Rope, you can refocus your puppy or adult Shih Tzus destructive behaviors.
- Vibrant colors with a design meant to strengthen your dog’s gums and teeths.
- 100% washable with natural cotton fibers.
- This rope promotes healthy exercise and is built even for aggressive Shih Tzu chewers.
Shih Tzu Toy Buying Guide
Shih Tzus are bright, loyal and energetic dogs; a ball of activity in a little package! While puppies and adult Shih Tzus may have different needs, their need for engagement is essential at every stage. In fact, if Shih Tzus don’t get enough interaction in the form of play, they can exhibit negative behavior in destructive ways, or even in hyperactivity. If you are looking to find the perfect toy for your Shih Tzu, consider if the toy meets the following elements.
Interactive and engaging
Shih Tzus are very bright animals; they require engagement from their toys. Toys that offer multiple interactive aspects are excellent. This means toys should serve a double purpose: fetch and chewing, squeaks and comfort, etc. Look for toys that your Shih Tzu can enjoy while they are on their own, as well as toys that they can enjoy playing with you.
Promotes dental health
From puppy to senior, look for toys that promote dental health. These toys, like a rope, help eliminate plaque on teeth. Small dogs like Shih Tzus may be more prone to losing their teeth, so toys that delay this process are ideal.
Also, toys that promote dental health will also help to redirect aggressive chewers and get out excess energy. This is especially important for Shih Tzu puppies or any Shih Tzus that may have traumatic experiences and suffer from anxiety.
Look for toys that are made of durable materials and stitching. Shih Tzus can have sharp teeth and can make mince of a toy that isn’t properly sewed together. This could then be dangerous for your pup, as it could ingest the stuffing or choke on the materials. Look for toys that aren’t going to break off in huge chunks to eliminate the potential for injury.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Automatic Dog Feeder
- Best Interactive Dog Toys
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog House
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Dog Treat
- Best Automatic Fetch Machine
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Food Container
- Best Electronic Dog Door
- Best Dog Ramp
- Best Dog Cooling Vest
- Best GPS Tracker for Dogs
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Dog Cooling Pad
- Best Indestructible Dog Bed
- Best Indestructible Dog Balls
- Best Dog Food for Shih Tzus
- Best Puppy Food for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Crate for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Bed for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Brush for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Collar for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Harness for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Muzzle for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Shampoo for Shih Tzus