Bloodhounds are exuberant dogs, full of energy and zest! They love to jump, fetch, play and track! If you have a Bloodhound, you know how important it is to keep your Bloodhound engaged. Not only is engagement essential for their brain development, it also prevents Bloodhounds from destructive behaviors. If a Bloodhound grows bored or anxious, they are known to chew, bray or howl and potentially even get stubborn or aggressive.
Bloodhounds also have an extremely keen sense of smell, so the ideal toy will support their olfactory talents. Wondering what the perfect toy is for your Bloodhound? We have you covered. These are our five favorite toys for Bloodhounds.
Best Dog Toys for Bloodhounds
Here are our Bloodhound dog toy reviews.
The KONG is a classic toy, one of the most highly rated on the market-and for good reason. The KONG provides interactive opportunities, as well as opportunities to bond with your Bloodhound in a game of fetch! Even better for Bloodhounds, add a treat into the middle of the Kong to keep your Bloodhound’s sense of smell and reward sharp.
- The KONG unpredictable bounce makes for unpredictable games of retrieval and excitement for your Bloodhound.
- The KONG helps solve chewing, separation anxiety, teething, boredom, weight management, crate training, digging and barking–especially nice for a growing Bloodhound puppy.
- The KONG is dishwasher safe for extra cleanup.
Bloodhounds require mental stimulation and opportunities to hone their smelling skills, whether as puppies or adults. The Outward Hound provides hours of stimulation to ward off negative behaviors. And, your Bloodhound will even receive a treat reward upon solving the puzzle.
- This level 2 puzzle allows Bloodhounds to compete for treats in three different puzzles.
- The Outward Hound comes with separate, removable bone puzzle pieces.
- Completely washable for proper hygiene.
Bloodhounds can be aggressive chewers, especially if they are bored, and require a toy that can stand up to their powerful jaws. This dog rope toy is extremely durable and can provide independent play and an excellent bonding tool for your and your pet. This dog rope toy is also highly reviewed by owners of large dogs, suggesting quality that you can trust.
- This tug toy is made of 100% natural cotton so it is safe for your Bloodhound.
- This rope is machine washable and can be air dried.
- The rope toy also comes with a bonus ebook from Suricata toys on different ways to play.
The Barkbone stick is designed to give your Frenchie the chewing experience he craves, with the shape of a stick. This long-lasting stick can withstand even the most aggressive chewers. This stick keeps your dog entertained for hours but can also be used as a toss and retrieval toy.
- This stick is flavored with dog favorite peanut butter.
- These non-edible bones massages their gums and provides scraping action on their teeth.
- BarkBone keeps your dog Busy and discourages destructive behavior.
EETOYS developed a “Smooth Scrape Technology” process to make the polymer material extra firm and resist splintering on this dog toy. EETOYS Chews come in different flavors to suit your Bloodhound’s tastes and entice their sense of smell. And, the toy also has grooves on the bone where you can apply peanut butter or gravy to entice chewing.
- This dog bone is non-toxic and safe and supports overall dental health.
- These toys for aggressive chewers come in different sizes and flavors such as bacon, lemon and beef available for various breeds.
- The chew toy helps clean teeth and control plaque.
Bloodhound Dog Toy Buying Guide
The Bloodhound loves to play! In fact, the Bloodhound requires much play in order to keep happy and healthy. He loves the outdoors and can be excellent at fetch and retrieve, (unless a scent gets in the way!) Play promotes a Bloodhound’s healthy development, and also prevents the Bloodhound from engaging in the destructive behaviors that they are prone to develop, like chewing, jumping, howling or even acting aggressively. Of course, keeping entertained and engaged is important for any breed of dog, but it is absolutely essential for the Bloodhounds socialization and development. When you are considered what is the best toy or toys to purchase for your Bloodhound, we recommend you consider the following factors:
Supports their sense of smell
Bloodhounds have a keen sense of smell, which is why they are excellent tracking dogs. Toys that are scented or provide you the opportunity to add a scent will only support that developing trait. We love toys that allow you the opportunity to add food, like the Kong or the interactive puzzle, which will keep them engaged. But, it doesn’t just have to be food. Toys that offer the opportunity to add any smell in order to familiarize your Bloodhound will engage their mind and provide an excellent training opportunity.
Bloodhounds need quite constant engagement. A toy that combines their sense of smell and offers a reward for completion will not only make your Bloodhound happy, it also supports their mental development. Mentioned above, the KONG and the Ottosoman have your dog solve puzzles to reach their reward. The KONG can be tossed and bounces in a wild manner; when he reaches the KONG, your Bloodhound can be rewarded with trying to reach the delicious treat inside.
Stands up to aggressive chewing or play, all natural
Bloodhounds do not go easy on their toys, and we know that Bloodhounds will eat just about anything they can swallow. This is why it is imperative that the toys that you give your Bloodhound are not only durable, but are made from non-toxic material. The Dog Rope toy, mentioned above, is made to stand up to aggressive chewers and is also constructed of natural cotton. EETOYS uses a patented firm rubber that makes their toy less vulnerable to splintering.
Promotes dental health
Why not buy a toy that does double duty. Your Bloodhound will love a toy that attracts their sense of smell, keeps them engaged and also contributes to their overall dental health. We love the PetQwerks Bark Bone that has a smell that Bloodhounds love, but also works to gently lift the plaque off your Bloodhounds’ teeth to support overall dental health.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Automatic Dog Feeder
- Best Interactive Dog Toys
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog House
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Dog Treat
- Best Automatic Fetch Machine
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Food Container
- Best Electronic Dog Door
- Best Dog Ramp
- Best Dog Cooling Vest
- Best GPS Tracker for Dogs
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Dog Cooling Pad
- Best Indestructible Dog Bed
- Best Indestructible Dog Balls
- Best Dog Food for Bloodhounds
- Best Puppy Food for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Crate for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Bed for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Brush for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Collar for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Harness for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Muzzle for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Shampoo for Bloodhounds