Commonly known as Sheltie, the Shetland Sheepdog is a small-sized herding breed. These intelligent and cordial species are often referred to as ‘shadows’ due to their loyalty and willingness to please their family. They are excellent working dogs but also an efficient farm dog and an amiable family companion. They are not tolerant of being alone for long hours.
In such a situation, a dog toy comes to the rescue to please them while alone to keep them from destructive behavior and provide them with required mental stimulation. The following reviews about the best dog toys for Shetland Sheepdogs will help you to find the same.
Best Dog Toys for Shetland Sheepdogs
Here are our dog toys for Shetland Sheepdogs reviews.
1. KONG Cozie Marvin the Moose Plush Dog Toy
Available in 10 plushy characters, the KONG Cozie Marvin the Moose Plush Dog Toy is a soft and secure option for your Shetland sheepdog. It also ensures the durability required for your herding breed with an additional layer of material. It prevents your house from getting a mess with minimal stuffing.
- It also squeaks to tempt your pet towards it.
- Secure as well as durable choice
- Available in two size options to suit your Shetland Sheepdog at all ages.
2. Nylabone DuraChew Dental Chew Chicken Flavored Dinosaur Dog Chew Toy
Provide your Shetland Sheepdog with an enticing and durable dog toy with Nylabone DuraChew Dental Chew Chicken Flavored Dinosaur Dog Chew Toy. It efficiently satisfies your Shetland Sheepdog’s chewing instincts and is durable enough to survive this highly endured species. While the unique texture of this toy stimulates their gums, the chicken flavor entices them towards itself.
- This non-edible dog toy discourages excessive chewing.
- The exclusive design reduces tartar and cleans their gums.
- Recommended by veterinarians.
3. Trixie Activity Flip Board Activity Strategy Game Dog Toy
Enhance your Sheltie’s cognitive development with Trixie Activity Flip Board Activity Strategy Game Dog Toy. This puzzle-based game is an ideal option for your intelligent Shetland Sheepdog, which provides them with mental stimulation. The hidden compartments of this interactive toy challenge your Shetland Sheepdog to use their brain and later reward them with treats.
- You can customize the difficulty level by increasing the number of compartments.
- The non-slip design keeps the toy stable.
- Easy to clean through the dishwasher.
4. Petstages Dogwood Tough Dog Chew Toy
Satisfy the chewing urges of your Shetland Sheepdog with Petstages Dogwood Tough Dog Chew Toy. It keeps them from destructive behavior, reduces their stress, and takes care of their gum health. The combination of real wood and synthetic components makes it durable enough and prevents any side effects.
- Floats over water.
- Natural wood smell entices your Shetland Sheepdog
- Safer than real wooden sticks.
5. USA Bones & Chews Cotton Rope with Hooves Dog Toy
With cotton blend rope and fragranced hooves, the USA Bones & Chews Cotton Rope with Hooves Dog Toy not only maintains the healthy gums and teeth of your Shetland Sheepdog but also entices them to play with this rope toy. The hooves that may seem smelly to you attract your Shetland Sheepdog towards itself. It also ensures their safety by omitting sharp edges.
- Provides two in one benefits with a chew toy cum tug toy
- Does not contain fillers or artificial colors or preservatives.
- No side effects as it is never treated with bleach or formaldehyde.
Dog Toys For Shetland Sheepdogs Buyer’s Guide
Ranked 6th among the 138 breeds, Shelties are asserted as one of the brightest dog breeds. An appropriate dog toy provides them with mental stimulation, and hence, interactive toys are one of the best options for their cognitive development. As they barely develop aggressive traits, double-layered plush toys can also go well with them, which are not as durable as the other types. Uncertain about a suitable dog toy for your Sheltie? Considering your doubts, we have listed some of the most critical factors that must be kept in mind while buying a dog toy for your Shetland Sheepdog.
Some dog toys with extra features may get a little expensive, but your priority should be the quality of the product rather than the cost. A cost-effective dog toy is not as challenging to find. You can further avail of the discounts while checking out for additional benefits and making it budget-friendly.
Although Shetland Sheepdog is not an aggressive breed, they have an instinct to herd, and hence, they are endured enough. They may destroy a toy if they want. Therefore, you must ensure that your toy is durable enough to survive through their chewing urge. A plush toy with a double layer may get well with this less aggressive breed. While chew toys are perfect in terms of durability, a rope toy and an interactive toy may require adequate supervision.
Plush toys: A plush toy may prove to be a fragile and less durable option, but they are the safest ones for your Sheltie. Therefore, we suggest you go for a double-layered, durable plush toy while opting for this toy type.
Chew toy: This type of toy not only keeps your pet from boredom but also satisfies their urge to chew and stimulate their gums and tooth. It is appropriate for both the puppies and adult dogs. Most chew toys come with additional flavors, which make your pet crave for it. Others come with added compartments to reward your pup with treats.
Rope toys: This type of toy helps in the healthy growth of teeth and stimulates their gums. Most of the rope toys have attached chew toys, which also satisfy their urge to chew. Rope toys require a supervisor in order to make sure that it doesn’t get swallowed by your Sheltie as it may choke them.
Interactive toys: This type of toy provides your Sheltie with mental stimulation and enhances their intelligence. It is a puzzle-based toy which prompts your Shetland Sheepdog to use their brain to find their rewards. This toy also requires a supervisor as it can trigger destructive behavior among your Shetland Sheepdog if they are unable to find the treat.
One of the primary factors that should affect your purchase is whether it ensures your Shetland Sheepdog’s safety or not. The opted dog toy must be well-finished with softened edges. The interactive toys and rope toys require a supervisor in order to ensure your Shetland Sheepdog’s safety. While a rope toy can get stuck in their throat if swallowed, an interactive toy may trigger destructive behavior among them if they are unable to solve the puzzle.
Many dog toys come with additional features to enhance your Shetland Sheepdog’s experience. While double-layered plush toys provide extra durability, the chew toys with additional flavors and treat compartments satisfy their taste buds.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Automatic Dog Feeder
- Best Interactive Dog Toys
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog House
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Dog Treat
- Best Automatic Fetch Machine
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Food Container
- Best Electronic Dog Door
- Best Dog Ramp
- Best Dog Cooling Vest
- Best GPS Tracker for Dogs
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Dog Cooling Pad
- Best Indestructible Dog Bed
- Best Indestructible Dog Balls
- Best Dog Food for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Puppy Food for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Crate for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Bed for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Brush for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Collar for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Harness for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Muzzle for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Shampoo for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Training Book for Shetland Sheepdogs