One of the tools that you have at your disposal when it comes to dog training is the large array of best dog training books that are currently on the market.
Some of these books have been around for a while and others are brand-new and incorporate some of the latest techniques and research on dog training.
This buying guide will show you exactly what to look for when you shop for a dog training book.
Let’s look at the top five dog training books that are currently on the market.
Best Dog Training Books
This is one of the best dog training books and puppy training books on the market because it was written by a real expert in the field that everyone recognizes – Cesar Millan, host of the television show the Dog Whisperer and founder of the Dog Psychology Center in Los Angeles.
This book takes the same techniques and advice that make Cesar Millan one of the most sought after dog experts on the planet and shows you how you can use them for your very own pup.
This book was written to cover all kinds of dog training problems, from the very basic beginner training to serious behavior problems that must be corrected immediately.
It covers a huge variety of breeds, uses established science as the basis for the training techniques and incorporates all of the experience that Cesar Millan has had with training, rehabilitating and advocating for dogs.
There is a lot of information to parse when you’re looking through this book, and you may not be able to take everything in on a first read, but there is no doubt that your training will take a sharp turn towards effectively when you start using the techniques that are laid out in this book.
For example, Millan covers things like the communication style between you and your pet, how to deal with dogs that exhibit bad behavior and the psychological reasons why they exhibit that behavior along with specific training techniques that will actually work the very first time the you try them.
Why you should buy
Hundreds of thousands of people have used these techniques to start training their dogs, and many of them were surprised at how quickly they work. Some of them had been training – or attempting to train – their dog for months with no success at all of a sudden a single technique from this book changed the way they train forever.Check Price on Amazon
If you have a puppy, then this is definitely the book for you. This book focuses on specifically raising a puppy from the very beginning and having good training techniques that will ensure that your dog gets trained the right way from puppyhood and continues learning the right way to do things throughout his adult life as well.
The authors of this book may not seem like the typical dog training experts, but for decades, the Monks of New Skete have been regarded by dog researchers and training experts all over the world as some of the top authorities when it comes to training dogs – puppies and adult dogs.
This book is specifically intended for raising a puppy, but their previous book was a bestseller that still flies off the shelves today even after almost 20 years since it was first published.
If you want to get both books, the previous is called How to be Your Dog’s Best Friend but The Art of Raising A Puppy is definitely the definitive text on training a dog from a very early age.
These monks have been breeders of dogs for decades and understand exactly what it takes to train just about every breed out there.
This particular book is a new addition that has plenty of pictures all the way through to demonstrate the training techniques that are described.
Why you should buy
This book has a lot of information on different aspects of dog training and how to build a strong relationship between dog owners and their puppies.Check Price on Amazon
This is one of the top dog training books out there and is extremely comprehensive in the subject matters that it covers.
There is a great deal of information contained within this book that will teach you different training techniques for different stages of life.
As you may have noticed, one of the reasons why this is one of the best books for dog training is that it was written by Cesar Millan.
This book is truly a unique book, intended for the people that bring puppies into their lives, whether they buy them or rescue them, as well as those who are just thinking about getting a puppy.
This is from one of the most well-known and well-respected dog training experts currently out there and the techniques are based upon his training foundation.
Why you should buy
Some of the best information in this book include things like knowing what to expect from each stage of puppy development, a guide to housebreaking, the importance of vaccinations, making your dog obey you from the very first training session, avoiding the most common mistakes that new trainers and owners make, correcting issues before they become problematic, how to give your dog the right nutrition, unique exercises and tips on play to make your dog happy.Check Price on Amazon
If you need some fast training, then you may want to consider this book from celebrity dog trainer and star of the CBS show ‘Lucky Dog’ Brandon McMillan. ‘Lucky Dog’ is a show that has McMillan rescuing an untrained – sometimes called unadoptable – dog and getting them to a state where they can actually be adopted.
He put them through a specific program where they learn to obey his seven most important commands, learn to trust him and learn to respond as a trained and friendly dog.
If your dog has behavior problems, then this is definitely the book for you.
Brandon McMillan specializes in behavior problems, and often the dogs that he brings on his show exhibit some of the most severe problems out there.
What this means is that he has the knowledge and experience that will teach you exactly how to overcome the same problems in the exact same way that he did, which make a difference with even the worst behaving dog.
These are all lessons that were learned from his television show, and if you are a fan of the show and have seen his techniques, you will agree that this book is going to be an invaluable training tool for overcoming major behavior issues.
One of the most unique things about this book is that it purports to train your dog in seven days, which is probably a reference to the amount of time that he has to train dogs for the television show.
These shows are aired weekly, so there is not very much time to train an individual dog and get them to follow commands or overcome their behavior problems before the episode has to be aired.
This does not necessarily mean that you should only spend seven days training your dog, but only that you can get extremely fast results if you use these techniques.
Why you should buy
This book begins with the basics including building trust, teaching commands like sit, stay, down, come, heel and no and then getting into more advanced behavior problems like chewing, barking, running to the door and many more.Check Price on Amazon
This is a very comprehensive bestseller by Kyra Sundance that teaches you dozens of different ways that you can interact with your dog, engage them, challenge them intellectually and physically and bond with them.
Although this may not seem like it directly relates to training, the truth is that all of these things are necessary before you can do any training whatsoever.
This is the foundation that good training is built upon. If you can get your dog to trust you, then you are able to train them properly. If your dog does not trust you, then you are going to have no success with training them whatsoever.
This is a terrific primer on dog psychology and every dog owner should read it whether they are planning on training their dog or not.
This book will teach you exactly what goes on in your dog’s mind, how the dog brain works and how you can respond to situations in ways that will build a positive bond with your dog while still teaching them that their behavior is wrong.
Many dog owners who have no experience with training or understanding their dog will do the wrong things and destroy the trust between them and their pet before they ever begin.
For example, coming home and finding that your dog destroyed your favorite pair of shoes might cause you to yell at them and have a major negative reaction.
But this dog book will teach you how to respond better in situations like that.
Why you should buy
Your dog’s behavior is not an accident. Dogs are not people, their brains do not work like people’s brains do and you have to understand them before you can get them to stop doing behaviors that you don’t like.
Every dog can be taught to obey and follow commands. Every dog can be taught how to stop doing behaviors that the owner does not like.
Your dog wants to please you, and this book teaches you exactly how you can establish trust, create a bond and make sure that your dog knows what you want.Check Price on Amazon
Focusing on the difference in language between primates and canines, The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs looks at how human behavior affects dog behavior. Revolutionary techniques teach against using dominance and rough play. It examines what truly drives dog behavior and obedience.
- Written by a renowned applied animal behaviorist and dog trainer.
- Highlights the importance of vocal tone in gaining trust and obedience.
- Combines accessible scientific perspective with troubleshooting common problems.
From Animal Planet personality Zak George, Zak George’s Dog Training Revolution: The Complete Guide to Raising the Perfect Pet with Love covers nearly every aspect of dog ownership and training. It also gives information on picking a puppy. Bonus information on handling behavioral problems and improving communication with your dog.
- Covers basic training and housebreaking.
- Offers healthcare advice, like finding the right food and vet.
- Includes travel tips and cool tricks to teach your dog.
For more than 25 years, How to Be Your Dog’s Best Friend: The Classic Training Manual for Dog Owners has been an indispensable reference. It is considered the standard by which other training books and methods are measured. Information presented guides the dog owner from dog breed and gender selection, through training and care for every stage of the dog’s life.
- Includes information on how to read a pedigree, proper praise and discipline, and where to get, and where not to get, a dog.
- Covers unique challenges of raising a dog in the country, city, or suburb.
- Highlights fitting a dog to your lifestyle, and ensuring it’s physical fitness.
Whether dealing with a puppy or adult, Good Owners, Great Dogs is a guide to immediate results. It shows how to correct all commonly encountered behavioral issues. It also includes methods for housebreaking young and old, and fixing previously learned bad habits.
- Teaches recognition of canine body language.
- Uses a “fun, fair, and firm” methodology.
- Includes information on correcting aggression even after it’s become an issue.
Drawing from fifteen years of experience, Team Dog: How to Train Your Dog–the Navy SEAL Way shows all dog owners how to have the unbreakable bond of a combat dog. It showcases training that gains the dog’s trust and achieves obedience. It uses tips from the SEAL guidebook and from the author’s own experience on the battlefield.
- Uses the dominance method to establish the owner as “team leader”.
- Once the perfect dog is chosen, the training will guide you on making it the family’s best friend.
- Invaluable steps by step instructions written in direct and accessible language.
When Pigs Fly!: Training Success with Impossible Dogs focuses on terrier breeds. It addresses unique challenges presented by one of the most strong-willed types of dogs. It is geared toward seasoned trainers, but it also contains some valuable information for the beginner.
- Written with experienced trainers in mind.
- Written by a successful bull terrier agility trainer.
- Well organized with many exercises.
Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog is a well organized bible of canine communication. It helps dog owners understand their dog’s feelings and overall emotional state. It’s an invaluable tool for both beginner level and professional level dog owners and trainers.
- Highly visual, with lots of pictures to illustrate various communications.
- Recommended by trainers and rehabilitative behaviorists.
- Prime reference for all levels of dog owners.
How To Raise A Puppy You Can Live With offers helpful information and current methodology for training puppies. Covers planning, breeder selection, training, and socialization. Highlights the developmental stages of puppies and what to expect with each.
- Includes sections on discipline, socialization, leash training, and simple commands.
- Up-to-date information draws from more than a decade of behavior observation.
- Recommended for breeders to provide to buyers as an introductory volume on puppy ownership.
How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves is written by one of the top animal behaviorists in the country. It provides a straightforward breakdown of the science behind dog behavior. These concepts are then laid out in a way that makes utilizing them for training quick and easy.
- Revised and updated with the most recent science.
- Key concepts are explained in clear, concise language.
- Approach is science based, but practical and easy to understand.
Offering step by step methods, Water Dog: Revolutionary Rapid Training Method provides guidance from puppy to adult. It contains proven science regarding the proper mental development of your water dog, with none of the fluff. It also examines canine behavior as a result of human behavior.
- Step by step picture instruction.
- Makes training fast and fun, for both dog and owner.
- Includes information on training with the Dummy-Launcher.
16. The Puppy Primer
Owing to a humorous approach, The Puppy Primer is a favorite of trainers everywhere. It is written in an engaging and upbeat tone, and features useful information on every page. It covers all aspects of puppy training in a user-friendly way.
- Includes information on the unique emotional needs of puppies.
- Covers several exercises and training routines.
- Positive reinforcement model covers how to properly train, play, and socialize.
Through a Dog’s Eyes: Understanding Our Dogs by Understanding How They See the World is seen as a transformative volume on canine communication. It highlights dogs’ intelligence, skills, and sensitivity. It helps owners to recognize that dogs have been bred to be attuned to their owners needs and desire their praise.
- Anecdotes from the author’s life and experience punctuate the lessons.
- Uses positive, encouraging methods, rather than submission and fear-based correction.
- Written by an experienced trainer of service dogs for disabled and special needs owners.
The Beginner’s Guide to Dog Agility focuses on building a bond between dog and human. It features techniques for in-depth, correction-free clicker training. It reinforces the synergy between active dogs and good behavior.
- Teaches correction-free methods.
- Shows how to build your own agility obstacles, and enter official agility events.
- Emphasizes building a strong, long lasting bond between dog and owner.
Addressing common frustrations with humor, Don’t Dump the Dog: Outrageous Stories and Simple Solutions to Your Worst Dog Behavior Problems is perfect for the dog owner who feels they might be at the end of their leash with behavior problems. The author uses real life examples from dog parents to illustrate how to correct common issues. It maintains an end goal of creating more “forever homes” and less relinquished pets.
- Easily adopted techniques introduced with humor.
- Draws from the author’s extensive experiences with abandoned dogs.
- Gives solutions to every bad behavior problem.
Game Dog: The Hunter’s Retriever for Upland Birds and Waterfowl boasts completing the initial training regimen by the time your dog is one year old. It highlights the crucial stages of mental development. It also teaches not only hunting, but tracking and retrieving as well.
- Details what to look for in a puppy.
- Allows anyone to train their own game dog and save money.
- Bonus training on running two dogs at once.
With a strong emphasis on building a bond with adopted dogs, Love Has No Age Limit-Welcoming an Adopted Dog into Your Home focuses mainly on adult dogs. Addresses issues that may have been present for years before the dog is adopted. It provides methods to ensure the transition from shelter to “forever home” is as smooth as possible.
- Provides practical advice on avoiding common mistakes with older dogs.
- Specifically written for people adopting adult dogs that have pre-existing issues.
- Main focus is building a bond of trust and good behavior with abandoned dogs.
From a leading trainer, Tom Dokken’s Retriever Training: The Complete Guide to Developing Your Hunting Dog makes field tested methods available to the owner-trainer. This book will detail how to train a retriever to be reliable both on and off leash. Includes information on training silent hand signals.
- Author has more than 30 years of experience with successful field trial competitors.
- Helps train dogs to be steady when guns are fired.
- Information includes hunting techniques and silent communication.
Beyond The Back Yard: Train Your Dog to Listen Anytime, Anywhere! helps train your dog to obey your commands, even when surrounded by distractions. It is split into three distinct sections teaching theory, practice, and troubleshooting. Included are bonus resources to enjoy post-training.
- Teaches training success in less than perfect conditions.
- Helps groom a well-behaved and reliable companion animal.
- Made for dog owners who have a pre-existing understanding of reward-based training methods.
Training with several objectives in mind, The Puppy Training Handbook: How To Raise The Dog Of Your Dreams is written by a trainer used by celebrities, moguls, and families alike. This book covers basic obedience training, housebreaking, and even crate training. It also targets 20 hard-to-correct behavioral issues.
- Includes the 5 golden rules of training.
- Features bonus information on canine health care.
- Proven, positive reinforcement techniques to maintain long-term results.
The Maran Illustrated Dog Training book is a straightforward training resource. It avoids going into theory or multiple methods, and simply shows the method that works. This permanent resource costs far less than a single private training lesson. Packed from front to back with practical, useful information and simple training routines.
- Includes tips to improve your dog’s training experience.
- Step by step full color photos walk you through each task.
- Skill level ranges from simple commands to impressive, complex tricks.
Family Friendly Dog Training: A Six Week Program for You and Your Dog brings reliable techniques to the beginner. It covers basic training methodology and several initial commands. It also offers tips for troubleshooting basic behavior and training problems.
- Written for the beginner, and covers many basic training commands.
- Science-based six week training program.
- Written by a certified applied animal behaviorist.
27. Sporting Dog and Retriever Training: The Wildrose Way: Raising a Gentleman’s Gundog for Home and Field
Sporting Dog and Retriever Training: The Wildrose Way: Raising a Gentleman’s Gundog for Home and Field is a comprehensive guide to training a well-performing shooting companion. It covers all aspects of gundog ownership, from selection though training. It highlights essential information like core behaviors, skills, and finishing.
- Illustrated with diagrams and photos.
- Trains for versatility around game, terrain, and so on.
- Includes bonus information on effective canine leadership.
Written by a preeminent professional handler, The Winning Edge: Show Ring Secrets details winning methods of competitive training. It presents a unique approach to dog showing by applying sports psychology. Enables amateurs to effectively compete against veteran professionals.
- Covers every aspect of competition, from necessary mental preparation to focus in the ring at show time.
- Includes chapters on psycho-cybernetics, what makes a perfect handler, and learning from other competitors.
- An essential addition to every exhibitor’s collection.
The Canine Good Citizen: Every Dog Can Be One sets aside breed-specific methods and focuses on making any dog CGC-ready. It features techniques for beginners as well as experienced trainers. It features techniques that allow owners to tailor the training to their dog’s personality.
- Recommended by several AKC officials.
- Contains everything a dog owner needs in order to pass Canine Good Citizen testing.
- Encourages the average owner to become better for them and their dog.
The Happy Puppy Handbook: Your Definitive Guide to Puppy Care and Early Training will prepare your entire household for your new puppy. The book covers everything needed for preparing your house, garden, and family. It also contains information on combating common unwanted puppy behavior.
- Includes solutions for biting, chewing, upset stomach, crying, and others.
- Written by a zoologist and dog training specialist.
- Comprehensive guide for first time puppy owners.
Written for those with disabilities, Service Dog: Training Your Own Service Dog: Step By Step Guide To An Obedient Service Dog will give step by step instructions on how to train your own service dog and avoid the expense of having one trained. With the goal of independence, this book will help create an unbreakable bond between you and your dog. It covers everything from choosing your dog, through all facets of training.
- Includes information on service dog laws.
- Covers teaching tasks that enable independence, regardless of disability.
- Written from the perspective of a service dog user, who trains his own dogs.
From a writer recognized as a top authority on aggression correction, Aggression in Dogs: Practical Management, Prevention & Behaviour Modification breaks aggression down into different situations. Included are specific protocols for management and correction. This book is vital for owners of dogs who have demonstrated aggression.
- Focuses on understanding and resolving aggression issues.
- Teaches how to use clicker training to remediate aggression without force.
- Leaves dominance theory behind in favor of more constructive techniques.
33. Puppy Training: A Step By Step Guide to Positive Puppy Training That Leads to Raising the Perfect, Happy Dog, Without Any of the Harmful Training Methods!
Covering all aspects of getting a new puppy, Puppy Training: A Step By Step Guide to Positive Puppy Training That Leads to Raising the Perfect, Happy Dog, Without Any of the Harmful Training Methods! is a great book for first time puppy parents. It provides information on preparations to make beforehand, basic training, and puppy’s first commands. It also includes guidance on troubleshooting common problems.
- Information on the important first few days of adjustment.
- Covers crate training and housebreaking methods.
- Gives the basic framework for teaching the puppy any number of commands and behaviors.
With a focus on a parenting relationship with your dog, Puppy Start Right: Foundation Training for the Companion Dog gives step by step guidance on building a strong familial bond. It has extensive information on socialization, training, and problem-solving, without using force. Also included are sections on canine communication, dog development and life stages, behavior problems, and more.
- Reduces house training to 5 easy steps.
- Written by a veterinarian and behavior specialist.
- Positive training methods for behavior problems and corrections.
E-collars can be used as an alternative to traditional training, and The Happy Puppy Handbook: Your Definitive Guide to Puppy Care and Early Training will show you how. It details training methods that will endure even when the collar is removed. Included are methods to correct unwanted behaviors, and reinforce good behaviors using the e-collar and additional methods.
- Outlines proper fitting and use of the collar.
- Provides different methods of correcting unwanted behavior.
- Includes training for off-leash, perimeter training, distractions, and others.
36. Dog Training Guide: A Positive And Easy Training Guide For Beginners. Correct Your Dog’s Behavior Through The Use Of Basic Tricks!
Geared toward those who are bringing an adult dog into the home, Dog Training Guide: A Positive And Easy Training Guide For Beginners. Correct Your Dog’s Behavior Through The Use Of Basic Tricks! will take some of the nervousness out of the process. It covers some of the myths and misconceptions around adult and senior dogs. It provides solid information on identifying and correcting common issues with adult dogs.
- Techniques for beginners through advanced level training.
- Additional health and care information about senior dogs.
- Helps identify training types based on the owner’s needs.
Structure in Action: The Makings of a Durable Dog is written for owners of working and performance dogs. It has extensive information on features of a structurally sound dog. It also covers information for breeders to consider when striving for strength in their breeding programs.
- Over 400 visuals for owners and breeders.
- Covers potential issues to address before bringing a dog into a highly active life.
- Overall aim of having a dog live a long, healthy, and happy life.
38. Puppy Training Basics: Tips And Tricks To Train Your Puppy Using The Power Of Positive Reinforcement
Puppy Training Basics: Tips And Tricks To Train Your Puppy Using The Power Of Positive Reinforcement focuses heavily on training during the earliest stages of puppy development. It details the main pillars of positive training, and why they should be reinforced as early as possible. It goes past theory and uses a detailed plan and specific exercises for fast results.
- Illustrates how puppies learn and how to incorporate that into your plan.
- Fast program meant to be completed while still in the impressionable puppy stage.
- Helps avoid potential major behavior issues that could stretch into adulthood.
Stop My Dog’s Pulling: Confidently Walk Your Dog Anywhere gives step by step techniques for eliminating pulling, lunging, and barking while on-leash. It will help to build the confidence of the dog walker by helping train the dog to be obedient around distractions. This book is aimed at the beginner-level dog trainer.
- Provides training gear recommendations.
- Details how to create a full dog training program without the need for a professional trainer.
- Gives solutions to unwanted walking behavior like barking, chasing, and lunging.
40. How to Train your Dog in 7 Days: A Step-by-Step Guide To Teach your Dog to: Behave, Listen, Understand, Interact and Have the Dog you Always Wanted to Have
How to Train your Dog in 7 Days highlights training methods that work quickly, with no wasted time. It covers the basics of canine body language, as well as words and signs. Also included are techniques for coaching different behavior at home and in public.
- Creates links between human and canine language, so commands are always understood.
- Sets a clear 7 day training program, so there is no time wasted.
- Detailed instructions on training to interact with other dogs.
The first book covering breeding and training of your hunting dog, Breeding & Training Versatile Hunting Dogs will help you coach an extremely versatile hunting companion. It is written by a highly successful NAVHDA trainer. Contains excellent advice on genetic diversity, hunting, tracking, retrieving, and testing.
- Information on blood tracking, upland hunting, waterfowling, and off season hunting.
- Designed to help produce a high scoring versatile hunting dog.
- The author has had a 90% success rate passing the NAVHDA tests.
Social, Civil, and Savvy: Training & Socializing Puppies to Become the Best Possible Dogs wastes no time in teaching you how to help your puppy to become confident and happy. It presents a practical approach to socializing your puppy. It also highlights how to improve learning ability and retention over time.
- Helps coach dogs to be upbeat and happy, even in stressful situations.
- Promotes reducing unwanted reactivity and excitability.
- End goal of making your dog better-mannered and more reliable overall.
43. The Big Book of Tricks for the Best Dog Ever: A Step-by-Step Guide to 118 Amazing Tricks and Stunts
From beginner to pro, The Big Book of Tricks for the Best Dog Ever: A Step-by-Step Guide to 118 Amazing Tricks and Stunts will show how to unlock your dog’s hidden talents. Along with tricks and stunts, it will help teach confidence that reaches all aspects of the dog’s life. It will help reinforce socialization, good behavior, and prevent problems associated with boredom.
- Allows the reader to start with simple obedience tricks.
- Includes much more complex tricks and stunts, like those used in film-making.
- Helps dog owners learn more about their dogs and what drives them to succeed.
For those who are nervous about being the best puppy parent they can be, Dog Teaching: Surviving a Puppy Without Losing Your Mind will certainly help. It provides easy to follow steps to teach your puppy how to be a well-behaved member of the household. It clearly explains the science behind canine behavior and learning.
- Uses positive training and avoid force or fear based techniques.
- Complete go-to manual for all puppy owners.
- Author shares common mistakes for the betterment of all owners and trainers.
Dog Training Book Buying Guide
When you are choosing a dog training book, there are plenty of things to keep in mind. We will be looking at many of those things below. In order to find the right dog training book, you have to look at various factors. Many of these factors have been detailed below. The purpose of this buying guide is to not only show you some quick books on training like the ones above, but also to give you a guide to buying your own dog training books if you have a specific problem that you need to solve or the books that are listed above do not meet your needs as a training manual.
Kindle, Hardcover or Paperback?
The first question that you might want to answer for yourself is whether you want to go with the Kindle book, a hardcover book or paperback. There is very little difference between a hardcover and paperback book as far as viability as a training manual. In either case, you have a physical book that you can mark, fold-down pages of an basically use whenever you take your dog to the park or train with him or her. However, Kindle books also offer many of these advantages, and they are often less expensive than a physical book; and there is a larger selection of Kindle books because they are cheaper to publish.
The Publication Date of the Book
You definitely want to pay attention to the publication date of the book. The publication date of the book can either work for you or against you. Some books that were published years ago are still bestsellers today because the training materials that they provide are so universal and tested through time that they will work for dogs even decades after the book is published. However, newer books may have an advantage as well. Books that were published within the last couple years may have the advantage of the latest research on dog psychology and new training techniques that were not yet thought of when the older books were published. You will have to decide for yourself which you want to go with.
The Expertise of the Author
The next task is to determine whether the author has enough expertise for you to trust him or her with your dog’s training. In the books that we listed in the review section, many of the authors were world-renowned experts in dog training, often having their own national television shows or entire organizations dedicated to their training techniques. That is not going to be the case with every dog training author out there. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that you should dismiss an author simply because he does not have his own television show. You should look at each individual author and determine whether they have the expertise and the knowledge to write a book on training that will be effective.
The Basis of Training Techniques
You also want to find out where these training techniques come from. If the author of the book that you are looking at is basing its information on training techniques that were developed by another expert that has a book, then you probably want to go to the original source. Just make sure that you know where the author is getting the training techniques that they are using in the book that they have written. This is important because there are a lot of books out there, and they cannot all be right.
Is the Book Appropriate For Your Dog
You also want to look at whether or not the book is appropriate for your dog. For example, a book on standard dog training may not be appropriate for a puppy. You want to go with something that actually has expertise and training a puppy if that is the type of dog that you have. In addition, not all training techniques are going to work with all dog breeds or dog ages. Make sure that you know exactly what you’re getting by doing your research carefully and finding out if the book has been written for your particular dog. If the author clearly does not know about your breed of dog or doesn’t seem to have much experience with puppies, then you may want to go with a different book.
Endorsements from Respected Organizations
Finally, check to see if the book has endorsements from respected organizations within the dog training industry. The American Kennel Club is probably the most well-known organization that endorses training techniques, books and various other properties within the dog training industry. The American Kennel Club is been around for more than a century, and you can count on them to only endorse the best. However, there are other organizations and other experts in the field, and their recommendation may mean just as much as an endorsement from the AKC.
The Bottom Line
The bottom line is that there are plenty of things to consider when it comes to buying the right dog training book. You have to make sure that you are getting the right book for your dog. That is the most important thing of all. Your dog is not a prefabricated factory toy – he or she is an animal with his own brain and personality. The training that you do has to be uniquely suited to your dog or else it is not going to work. Dog training is not one-size-fits-all.
That being said, there are some tried-and-true training techniques that work better than anything else out there. When you are reviewing books to help you train your dog, keep this in mind and definitely check out the top five books that we have chosen in the review section at the beginning of this article because they are some of the best training books out there and will take you a great deal of the way towards getting your dog to do what you want and ensuring that destructive behaviors cease. You may not be able to train your dog to be a superstar circus performer, but if you use those books you should be able to get them to follow basic commands and stop destructive behaviors.
- Best Dog House
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Vacuum for Dog Hair
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Automatic Dog Feeder
- Best Dog Seat Belt
- Best Dog Car Seat Cover
- Best Dog Crate Mat
- Best Dog Collar
- Best Dog Harness
- Best GPS Tracker for Dogs
- Best Interactive Dog Toys
- Best Dog Puzzle Toys
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Dog Food Container
- Best Dog Gate
- Best Dog Crate