But what do you do when your dog doesn’t like to take a bath? Or, what happens if your furry friend is always getting dirty, but you don’t want to wash him too much for fear that you’ll dry out his skin and coat? Using a dry shampoo is the perfect solution!
What is dry shampoo for dogs? Basically, it’s just like dry shampoo for humans, but it’s specially formulated to meet the needs of a dog.
Interested in learning more about a dry dog shampoo? Wondering what the benefits are and what options are available? In this review, we’ll take a look at waterless pet shampoo, but first, we share our top five picks for the best dry shampoo for dogs.
Best Dry Dog Shampoos
|Image||Dry Shampoo for Dogs||Rating|
|1. Paw Choice Dry Dog Shampoo||99%|
|2. Wahl Natural Pet No-Rinse Waterless Shampoo||96%|
|3. Miracle Coat Dog Shampoo||93%|
|4. Pawstruck Shampoo for Dogs||89%|
|5. Bodhi Dog All Natural Dry Shampoo for Dogs||85%|
Our first pick for the best dry dog shampoo is Paw Choice Naturals Foaming Mousse Waterless Dog Shampoo. This waterless dog shampoo is made of natural coconut and contains no harsh chemicals, like sodium laureth sulfate, alcohol, parabens, or sulfates, so it’s safe for your pup’s sensitive skin. You also don’t have to worry about it washing off any topical flea treatment for dogs.
Paw Choice Naturals Foaming Mousse Waterless Dog Shampoo will refresh and deodorize your dog’s coat, leaving behind a delightful mango and pomegranate scent. This dry dog shampoo will also condition your pet’s skin and coat. Using this product is so simple: Just pump the foam onto your hands or directly onto your dog, gently work it into his coat, and allow it dry. This dry dog shampoo is perfect for touch-ups between full baths. It can be used on dogs of all ages, sizes, and with all different types of coats. So, whether you have a long-haired Cocker Spaniel or Shih Tzu or a short-haired Great Dane or Put – or any other breed – this dry shampoo for dogs will keep your furry friend refreshed and smelling great!
Why you should buy
Paw Choice Naturals Foaming Waterless Dog Shampoo is cruelty-free, is made in the USA and adheres to the strict regulations of the EPA. It’s also backed by a satisfaction guaranteed; if for any reason, you are not satisfied with this product within 30 days of purchasing, you’ll receive a full refund.
Users say they like this product because it refreshes their dogs’ coats with a pleasant, non-overpowering smell, and because it’s so easy to use.
If your Golden Retriever, Maltese, Miniature American Shepherd, or any other breed that you may have needs some freshening up in between baths, than you’re going to love Wahl Natural Pet No-Rinse Waterless Shampoo. This dry dog shampoo is comprised of natural plant based botanicals that offer powerful cleansing properties. It’s also free of harsh chemicals, such as PEG-80, parabens and alcohol, so it won’t irritate your dog’s sensitive skin. This waterless pet shampoo also contains oatmeal extract, which helps to sooth dry and itchy skin. It also offers conditioning properties that will moisturize your pup’s coat and actually penetrating and locking in the natural proteins and sugars that it contains. The lavender chamomile fragrance will eliminate all types of odors, leaving behind a refreshing scent that isn’t overpowering.
Using Wahl Natural Pet No-Rinse Waterless Shampoo is so easy! Simply pump some of the foam onto your hands or apply it directly onto your dog, work it into his coat, and towel dry or air dry. That’s it! Your pup will look and smell like he just stepped out of the bath or came back from the groomer; and the best part is that you won’t have to deal with the struggle of giving him a full bath or spend a ton of money on professional grooming!
Why you should buy
Users give this waterless shampoo for dogs two thumbs up! They say that it’s easy to use, has a lovely scent, and that it’s the perfect solution for pets that don’t like taking baths or who just need a touch-up between a full bath.Check Price on Amazon
Next up on our list of the top dry shampoos for dogs is Miracle Coat Dog Shampoo. Though this waterless dog shampoo is a bit pricier than other options, it’s definitely worth the investment. It’s made of natural, pharmaceutical grade ingredients that have been proven to be safe and effective for use on all dogs and all skin types. Not only will it remove built up residue, but it will also freshen and moisturize your dog’s coat and skin. This dry dog shampoo offers conditioning qualities that will leave your furry friend’s coat looking great and easy to manage.
Unlike the previous dry dog shampoos on this list, which were foams, Miracle Coat Dog Shampoo is a spray. That means that you can apply it to your pup without having to make physical contact with his skin or coat; however, once you apply it, massaging it in is recommended to achieve optimal results. Worried that your pet will be spooked by the sound of the spray? The makers of this waterless pet shampoo thought about that and made the sprayer noisless. Your pooch won’t even know you’re applying it!
Miracle Coat is a highly regarded manufacturer of rinseless dog cleansers. This shampoo is made of the highest quality ingredients and is safe to use on dogs of all sizes and breeds. In fact, if your furry friend has dry skin, this product will actually provide fast relief!
Why you should buy
Users have said that Miracle Coat Dog Shampoo is easy to use and that it offers outstanding results. It not only cleanses the coat and skin, but it actually effectively relieves dry, irritated skin.Check Price on Amazon
Pawstruck Natural No-Rinse Pet Shampoo is another great choice for freshening up your dog between baths or trips to the groomer. It’s safe for use with all types of coats and skin. It’s pH balanced for a dog’s sensitive skin and effectively soothes itchy and inflamed skin. If your pup is suffering from allergies, dermatitis, or any other irritation, than this no rinse dog shampoo is an excellent option to consider using. Not only will it offer him fast relief, but it will also leave him smelling great and leave his coat easier to manage.
Pawstruck Natural No-Rinse Pet Shampoo is made in the USA and adheres to the strict regulations that are set forth by the EPA. It’s a cruelty-free waterless shampoo and it’s completely free of harsh chemicals, such as phosphates, DEA, MEA, sulfates, parabens, and artificial dyes. This dry shampoo for dogs is also non-GMO, vegetarian, and vegan, and it completely biodegradable. Even the packaging that it comes in can be recycled! This formula is non-toxic, so you’ll have peace of mind knowing that your pet will never be in harm’s way, and it’s also safe to use with flea and tick treatments.
Using this waterless shampoo for dogs is so easy! Just spray it onto your pup’s skin, work it in, and allow it to dry. Your pet will be instantly refreshed and smell great, too! This product is also backed by a satisfaction guarantee; if you’re not happy for any reason within 30 days of purchasing, you’ll receive a full refund.
Why you should buy
Pawstruck waterless dog shampoo is vet and groomer recommended. Users say that this product offers outstanding results and is easy to use on all breeds, including adult Golden Retrievers and even puppy Greyhounds!Check Price on Amazon
Last, but certainly not least, on our list of the best dry shampoo for dogs, is Bodhi Dog All Natural Dry Shampoo for Dogs. This waterless dog shampoo is 100 percent non-toxic and hypoallergenic, making it safe for use with all dogs, including those who are prone to sensitive skin, like German Shepherds and Labrador Retrievers.
This gentle formula is made of all natural ingredients and is completely free of harsh chemicals, such as alcohol, parabens, sulfates, and detergents. It also offers a fresh lavender scent, which users say is quite pleasing and not at all overpowering. In addition to removing buildup dirt and debris and deodorizing your dog, this dry dog shampoo will also condition his coat. Users say that running a dog brush through their pet’s coat after using this product is a breeze!
Why you should buy
Bodhi Dog Natural Waterless Dog Shampoo is easy to apply: just spray it right onto your pup’s coat, work it in, and allow it to dry. That’s it! This product is made in the USA and adheres to the strict regulations of the EPA. All ingredients used are locally sourced and sustainable. You’ll also like that it’s cruelty free and that it’s eco-friendly, too! And it’s also backed by a money back guarantee. If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with this product, you will receive a full refund.
Buyer’s Guide to the Best Dry Dog Shampoo for Dogs
If you’ve never used a dry dog shampoo before, you’ve probably got some questions. For example, what exactly is a waterless dog shampoo? Why would you want to use one? And what types of benefits does it offer?
As a pet owner, you want to ensure that you are providing your dog with the very best of care. You go to such great lengths to provide him with the very best, like a comfortable dog house, a supportive dog bed, a spacious outdoor dog kennel, a high-quality dog crate, and even a dog playpen so that he can enjoy playing outside when he’s not wearing his dog harness or dog collar. You even go the extra mile to ensure that you are feeding him the very best dog food out of the very best dog bowl.
Yes, it’s safe to say that you want the best for your four-legged family member. So, if you’ve never used dry dog shampoo before, it stands to reason that you are going to want to know as much as you can about this product before you start using it on your furry friend.
To answer your questions and give you more insight into waterless dog shampoo, we’ve created a detailed buyer’s guide. Below, you’ll find the answers to your questions and learn more about this handy grooming product.
What is Dry Shampoo for Dogs?
When it comes to caring for your dog, grooming is one of the most important things that you can do. Using nail clippers for dogs to make sure that his nails are just the right length, brushing him out with a quality dog brush to remove mats, dead hair, and keep his hair looking neat, and bathing are all a part of responsible pet ownership. Not only does grooming ensure your pet looks (and smells) his absolute best, but it also keeps him healthy and happy!
When it comes to bathing, there are several products available, including standard dog shampoo, medicated shampoo for dogs, and even puppy shampoo. There’s dry shampoo, too! Unlike other types of dog shampoos, dry shampoo for dogs is exactly what it sounds like: it’s a grooming product that’s designed to cleanse your dog, freshen his coat, and deodorize him, all without having to give him a formal bath! Waterless shampoo for dogs is very much like dry shampoo for humans. You apply it to your dog’s coat and work it in for instant freshness! No water needed!
How do these products work? They contain ingredients that absorb oil, which allows them to remove the buildup of oil that accumulates on your dog’s skin and coat. Additionally, many dry dog shampoos also contain other ingredients that are intended to balance the pH level of your dog’s skin, which actually helps to encourage healthy bacteria and combat those unhealthy, and often smelly ones.
Why Use a Dry Shampoo for Dogs?
A waterless shampoo for dogs should not replace traditional baths or trips to the groomer. These products are not designed to remove as much dirt, oil, and odor as traditional soap will; but, they can be an effective way to keep your dog clean in between baths.
So, why should you use a waterless shampoo for dogs? Here’s a look at why might want to consider adding this product to your arsenal of pet grooming supplies:
- It’s ideal for dogs that don’t like taking baths. While it’s true that dry dog shampoo should not replace giving your pup a traditional bath, this grooming supply is a great option for pups who don’t like taking baths. While you will still need to give your furry friend the occasional bath (using a dog treat and keeping him occupied with interactive dog toys can help to make the process easier), a dry shampoo can help to reduce the amount of baths that you give him and keep him smelling fresh and clean.
- It’s great for dogs that are often dirty and/or smelly. Some dogs are smelly by nature, like Yorkshire Terriers, Beagles, and English Pull Dogs. And other dogs simply enjoy rolling around in dirt, garbage, and other not so pleasant things. While giving your pooch a traditional bath is the best way to get him clean and remove those foul odors, giving him a bath too frequently isn’t recommended. Dog’s have sensitive skin and frequent baths can wash away their natural oils that are meant to protect their skin and coat. Using a dry shampoo is a great way to keep your pup who is constantly dirty or who is regularly smelly clean and fresh without damaging his skin or coat.
- It makes cleaning large dogs easier and safer. Some dog breeds, like Neapolitan Mastiffs, Irish Greyhounds, Irish Wolfhounds, and Saint Bernards, are excessively large and heavy. If you own a large breed dog, bathing him can be a real challenge. It can be hard to find the space that you need to bathe him in, and getting him into and out of a bath tub can be dangerous for both you and him. If your pup doesn’t like the water, bathing him can be even more difficult. Wrestling with a Great Dane that weight more than 200 pounds, is soaking wet, and covered in soap suds can be end up being completely disastrous. It’s probably in your best interest to have your gentle giant bathed by a professional; but, in between trips to the groomer, the best dry dog shampoo can keep him fresh and clean.
These are just some of the reasons why using a waterless shampoo for dogs can be beneficial; both for you and for your dog! You’ll save yourself from major messes, crying, carrying on, and even accidents and mishaps, which means that you and your pup will be a lot happier.
Things to Consider with the Best Waterless Dog Shampoo
Purchasing a dry dog shampoo can be a bit daunting, especially if you have never used one before. There are quite a few options on the market, so you want to make sure that you choose the best product that will meet your dog’s needs. Here’s a look at a few factors that you should take into consideration before selecting a dog dry shampoo:
- The application. There are two main types of dry dog shampoos: foam and spray. With a foam formula, you pump the shampoo out of a bottle, either onto your hands or directly onto your dog, and work it into your pup’s coat and skin. You might prefer this option if your dog moves around a lot or if your pup is a bit skittish, as having to physically rub the product in will ensure that your pet is well covered, and he won’t be scared by a stream of spray coming at him. A spray dry dog shampoo might be a better choice for you if you don’t want to make direct contact with your pet; for example, if he is super dirty or smelly, or if he’s suffering from a skin condition.
- Make sure you look at the ingredients on the dry pet shampoo. Many products are comprised of harsh chemicals, like alcohol, parabens, sulfates, and phosphates, which can be harmful to your pet’s skin and coat. The best waterless dog shampoos are made of natural, premium-quality ingredients and are free of harsh chemicals.
- Odor Reduction. One of the main reasons people use dry dog shampoos is to eliminate the foul odors without having to give their pup’s a full bath. While most dry shampoos for dogs are scented, make sure that you are mindful of the scent. Some products are just too overpowering, which is not only unpleasant for you, but more importantly, it can be very upsetting for your dog. Remember, canines have a powerful sense of smell, so strong odors can be very displeasing. The best waterless dog shampoos are lightly scented and will make your dog smell pleasant, but not overbearingly so.
Other waterless dog shampoos we reviewed:
Here are the other 20 waterless dog shampoos we considered.
Arm & Hammer Dry Shampoo for Dogs is perfect for the busy pet owner. Made from the highest quality ingredients, it eliminates odors between baths.
- Time saving dry shampoo, easy for on the go baths
- Only all natural ingredients used
- Comes in a 5 oz bottle with the unique scent of blood orange
Vet Recommended Waterless Dog Shampoo is a detergent and alcohol free cleaning spray that leaves your dog smelling fresh. It is made with no harmful chemicals that strip the dogs coat and is usable with flea treatments.
- Quick and easy, spray and wipe spot clean for patches of fur.
- Smell like apple extract, while not being overpowering
- Made from recycled material and the brand does not test on animals
Lillian Ruff Waterless Dog Shampoo is lightly scented and tear free for your pup. The spray deodorizes pet odor and freshens coat. The product comes in a variety of scents and sizes for your convenience.
- No need to wipe off of fur, comb it in with hands or brush
- Safe for both cats and dogs
- Made from lavender and coconut oils, shown to repel ticks and fleas
Vet’s Best Waterless Dog Bath is made from an all natural formula that refreshes coat while blocking off odors. Coming in a light and easy to travel bottle, it is perfect for on the go cleaning. The dry spray allows you to bath your dog even during winter, without making them cold.
- 5 oz bottle is easy to carry with you in your purse or pocket.
- Ingredients such as Aloe Vera soothe dry skin without harsh chemicals
- Only use on dogs 12 weeks or older
The TropiClean Waterless Shampoo for Pets comes in many variations for your pet needs. The light coconut scent holds no traces of heavy chemical when used on your pooch and does not require being wiped off.
- Dander reducing, hypoallergenic, and deep cleansing are all buying options
- Natural ingredients make it safe for routine bathing
- Soothes dry or cracked skin
Pet Head Dry Clean Spray Shampoo is uniquely scented and is designed for frequent use on your pup. The formula is safe if dog licks or swallows it and works well on any dog breed.
- Blueberry scented without being overwhelming
- Natural ingredients that are safe by human and dog standards
- Doesn’t need to be rinsed off, simply massage into fur.
Warren London Dry and Waterless Deep Cleaning Shampoo is lightly scented and deep cleaning. It contains no detergents or other harmful chemicals and it works on all coat types.
- Refreshing green apple scent
- Deodorizing qualities are long lasting
- Quick and easy to use on the go.
Vet Recommended Puppy Shampoo is easy to use and convenient to carry. The foaming solution works on dirt, urine or feces leaving no pet odor. It uses only natural ingredients, no harsh chemicals to damage dog’s skin
- It’s simple, spray the foam and massage it in. No rinse needed
- Won’t discolor coat and is hypoallergenic.
- Eco-friendly with little environmental impact.
Bio-Groom Waterless Cats and Dog Bath Shampoo is a gentle cleaning spray that bolsters coat. The tear free recipe and all natural ingredients ensure no damage to your pup’s skin. Comes in an easy travel size for your convenience.
- No alcohol or chemicals in formula
- Gently cleans stains and clumps.
- Also works on cats with no rinsing.
PUPMATE Paw Cleaner, No-Rinse Waterless Shampoo is a pet friendly formula, all ingredients are natural and gentle. It comes with a special brush to scrub your pup’s pads with. There is no rinse required, making it great for either cat or dog paws.
- Formula kills bacteria and viruses
- Bonus brush is silicone and detachable for easy cleaning.
- Comes in a 6.8 oz bottle and is easy to travel with.
Kote-Glo Waterless Dog Shampoo eliminates odors and dries quickly. No rinsing is needed, simply massage into your pet’s coat and let dry. Containing conditioners, it leaves your dog’s skin and fur smooth and healthy.
- The formula is hypoallergenic and alcohol free.
- No wet dog smell, has a light mulberry scent but not overpowering.
- Great for post surgery dogs unable to take baths
Natural Chemistry Waterless Bath Shampoo’s formula easily removes odors, excess oils, and stains from fur. The spray is clean scented and made from all natural ingredients. The formula revitalizes skin and soothes dried out cracks.
- Contains aloe for both scent and healing purposes
- Great for spot cleaning on the go.
- No rinse required, brush into coat and let dry.
Bissell No-Rinse Dog Shampoo for BARKBATH has various scents and uses, depending on your needs. The pH is balanced and contains no harmful chemicals or alcohol. The light scent is pleasant while not being too much for your dog’s nose.
- Clean and Fresh, Free and Clear, Honey Blossom, Oatmeal, Odor and Skunk, Vitamin E, and Aloe Vera are all available varients
- Leaves dog’s coat feeling smooth and shiny
- Great for dogs and puppies
SHENMATE No-Rinse Waterless Shampoo is made for either cats or dogs and caters to all sizes. The formula deodorizes and deep cleans with its foam and is easily wiped off afterward. All natural ingredients are used, ensuring your dog’s skin care
- Comes with specialized silicone brush
- Takes seconds to clean paws
- Made for frequent use with no negative side affects.
Isle of Dogs Refreshing Waterless Shampoo is ideal for any breed to clean and buff coats. Works great for in-between baths and removing grass stains from white coats and is made with no alcohol or abrasive chemicals.
- No stress bathing. Spray, rub and go
- pH levels are balanced for pup’s with delicate skin
- Comes in a sugarcane and grapefruit scent.
Furminator My Furst Waterless Shampoo has both kitten and puppy variations of dry shampoo. Made for frequent use without damage to skin and has no harsh chemical ingredients.
- Has Aloe Vera and Kava Extract for soothing skin
- Reduces odors between baths
- Don’t use on puppies younger than 6 weeks
Espana Silk ESP0200DC Specially Formulated Silk Protein Waterless Shampoo comes in a variety of sizes for your convenience. The formula is all natural and self rinsing, easy to use on the go.
- No harmful chemicals or alcohol
- Can be used for either cats or dogs
- Contains Aloe Vera, extra Silk Proteins, Coconut Surfactant and conditioners to soothe dry skin.
Breezytail Waterless Soothing Wash is designed to work on either cats or dogs. The formula is veterinarian approved for both skin and fur revitalization. The deep moisturizing soothes dry or irritated skin and protects it.
- All natural ingredients with no hidden chemicals
- Bath time is quick and easy with no rinse needed. Brush it into fur and go.
- Using eight herbs, this formula is designed to heal irritated skin and keep it healthy.
Kibble Pet Salon Quality Brush-in Shine Waterless Dog Shampoo is hypoallergenic and made with only natural ingredients. The Aloe Vera in the formula soothes dry and irritated skin while controlling odor between baths.
- Easy use. Spray down, rub in, brush out.
- Uses a combo of Aloe Vera, organic jojoba seed oil, red raspberry seed oil, argan oil and niaouli oil to protect and heal skin.
- Comes in two scents, Vanilla and Amber or Aloe Vera and Honey
QuikClean Waterless Shampoo is good for either dogs or cats of any breed. No wash or rinse necessary, just spray and go. Formula is lanolin enriched, soothing skin and brightening fur.
- Made for frequent use and doesn’t irritate skin
- Contains no chemicals or irritants.
- Quick and easy application for all your traveling needs.
Particular Paws Dry Shampoo absorbs all excess oils and odors from fur and skin, locking away scent between baths. Lightly scented and comes in an easy to travel with bottle. The formula is safe for all dogs, no matter how sensitive the skin.
- Mango and Pomegranate scent
- Doesn’t cause problems with other flea or tick treatments.
- All natural ingredients used, no harmful chemicals.
Dry Dog Shampoo Review Conclusion
While the best dry dog shampoo should not replace washing your furry friend with traditional soap and water, it can be an excellent product for keeping him neat, clean, and smelling fresh in between baths. A high-quality product can also condition your dog’s skin and coat, and can even sooth skin irritations, such as dry, itchy, and flaky skin. This buying guide has been developed to offer recommendations for some of the best dry dog shampoos on the market, and to provide you with valuable information about using waterless shampoos for dogs so that you can choose the best dry dog shampoo that will meet your needs, and the needs of your canine companion.