Cat fleas can be annoying at best but when they’re left to thrive, they can give your feline friend much discomfort and can even escalate to flea allergy dermatitis. This is why you should immediately seek the best cat flea treatment if you suspect that your kitty is dealing with these tiny pests. The most important thing to do is to stop the flea life cycle to ensure that your cat is free from all traces of them.
But with so many great options available, it can be hard to decide which will work the best for you and your cat. Here, we discuss the 5 best flea sprays for cats, while sharing what to look for in these products.
The 5 Best Flea Sprays for Cats
While some sprays can be used on your cat and various surfaces in your home, others should only be applied on cats. Below are some of the best choices if you want to give your cat a topical treatment without the hassles that come with flea collars or don’t want to spend time using a flea comb.
- Free from harsh chemicals while effectively killing fleas and ticks of all stages
- Can be used on active infestations or routine prevention
- Uses certified natural essential oils with effective properties against pests
- Easily applied to cat furniture, blankets, outdoor surfaces, pillows, and more
When you want effective flea treatment, you can count on Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Home Spray for Cats which has been formulated using a unique blend of certified natural oils which include eugenol and peppermint oil from clove plants. It comes in two different sizes according to your needs — it’s gentle enough to be used around the whole family and is safe for application on cats that are 12 weeks and older. This product is proudly made in the USA using domestically and internationally sourced ingredients, which guarantees quality results.
- This easy-to-use topical flea treatment kills upon contact and helps prevent bites
- Safe to use on your clothes, floors, furniture, and gear
- Provides a non-oily, quick-drying formula that can be easily absorbed into your cat’s coat
- Made in the USA using natural cedar without the use of harmful chemicals
With the Cedarcide Original Biting Insect Dog & Cat Spray, you can protect your furry friend from chemicals, bites, and bugs. Its DEET-free, non-toxic, and non-staining formula can be used to spray cat’s entire coat to protect it from ticks, fleas, ants, mosquitoes, and mites. This fine mist is formulated with natural ingredients that aren’t oily and won’t stain your clothes, pet bedding, upholstery, or fabrics, helping to protect you and your pets.
- Uses an effective combination of active and inert ingredients to provide quick relief
- Can also be used on mosquitoes and deer ticks
- With a dual-action formula that prevents the development of fleas and kills adults
- Suitable for use on dogs over 10 weeks and cats over 12 weeks old
Adams Topical Flea & Tick Spray for Dogs & Cats effectively uses the power of Etofenprox and the long-lasting effects of the insect growth regulator, S-Methoprene to give fast relief from bites while continuously killing off adult fleas and flea eggs from your pet. This is a good option when you want to rid your whole home of fleas, and can help take away skin irritation from your cat — simply massage it into the back of your cat! It can also be used in conjunction with other Adams products, all of which are designed to prevent the spread of pests in your pets and home.
- Uses active ingredients such as permethrin, pyrethrins, and pyriproxyfen to rapidly kill fleas and ticks
- Stops the development of fleas by preventing immature fleas from growing into adults for up to 7 months
- This unscented flea and tick spray can cover up to 2,100 sq. ft. without staining any of your furniture
- Reaches into your rugs, carpets, drapes, pet furniture, upholstery, and other surfaces with better effectivity
The Virbac Knockout E.S. Area Treatment Spray is a flea and tick gentle-mist spray that uses effective ingredients to help you deal with pest infestations coming from your kitty. Pet owners can be sure that it has the highest levels of natural adulticides allowed for an aerosol to help them manage a flea infestation. As a result, it can breathe new life into your living room, providing a full treatment of your home and pets while eliminating possible health issues.
- Uses plant-based ingredients like lemongrass and cedarwood that battles fleas around your home
- Kills live fleas, eggs, and flea larvae along with ticks while repelling mosquitoes, keeping your house free from pests
- No dyes, harsh chemicals, or parabens, making it the best option for homes with other pets and kids
- A light mist that works on various surfaces around your home, making it more effective than oral medications
Get started with flea elimination today using Nature’s Shield Natural Flea & Tick Home Spray, which has an added fragrance that leaves a pleasant smell all around your home. Apart from killing fleas and ticks, it also repels mosquitoes, making it a good choice if you have multiple invaders in your house. Since this natural product is free from all kinds of harmful chemicals, it’s safe to use around your pets and kids, and continuous use can help you prevent future infestations.
Flea Spray FAQs
If this is your first time looking for the best flea treatments for your cat, you probably have a few questions. Here are the answers to a few of them.
Can Flea Spray be Applied on Surfaces Around the House?
If your cat needs flea and tick treatment, there’s a good chance that it has spread the pests around their items and various areas of your home. So when you treat your outdoor cat you will also need to treat the places they’ve been to, but be sure to try a small amount in an inconspicuous area first. Using a test spot will save your fine furniture from lasting stains or you can always refer to the label instructions on the best way to use it.
Is it Safe to Use Other Flea Treatments Along with the Flea Spray?
If you’re for ways to quickly eradicate your flea infestation, you might think about using other options along with your flea spray. While this is possible with a few products, such as the Seresto Flea Collar which offers ease of use, this will depend on your personal preferences and whether your cat gets an allergic reaction to different products. Natural sprays are usually a safe option but it’s always best to consult your vet before applying multiple flea treatments on your pet.
How to Apply Flea Spray on My Cat?
Always refer to the product label and use it in the mist setting when possible and use sprays within a well-ventilated area to ensure your cat has enough breathing space after spraying it. Place your cat on a table and spray it against your cat’s coat and massage the solution into their coat to ensure that it reaches their roots and skin, ensuring that their whole coat becomes damp. Be sure to look for signs of sensitivity to make sure that your cat has no negative reactions to the treatment.
As much as we try to keep our indoor cats away from the outside world, there will be times when they play host to a family of fleas. One giveaway that your cat is infested is through the flea dirt that you may spot around its skin and fur. When this happens, you can count on the options above to help you control the situation — just be sure to read the entire label for safe usage and consult your vet for the best treatment options.