A muzzle is an accessory that many dog owners hope they would never need. However, there are some circumstances where it is in the best interest of the dog and the owner to have our furry friends wear one. There may be public breed restrictions, or your German Shepherd may just be overprotective of you, so bringing them to the vet or the groomer may present an issue. You may also need to muzzle your GSD to train them against barking or scavenging behavior while out and about.
In our guide, we’ll take a look at the most popular muzzles for German Shepherd Dogs, and what special features they have. In the end, our buyer’s guide will help simplify muzzle selection and take some of the stress out of choosing one.
Best Muzzles for German Shepherds
Here are our German Shepherd muzzle reviews.
The Baskerville Ultra Muzzle from The Company of Animals is a highly effective basket style muzzle. There is plenty of room in the basket to allow for drinking, receiving treats, and panting. It has a bottom loop under the chin for attaching to your dog’s existing collar.
- Can be heat shaped to specifically fit your dog’s snout
- Optional overhead strap for additional security
- Available in six sizes and two colors
The Barkless Dog Muzzle is a basket style muzzle. It is constructed from soft yet durable silicone rubber. The secure design includes a bottom loop to connect to your existing collar and an overhead strap for added security. It is designed to not interfere with drinking, receiving treats, or panting.
- Open basket design allows unhindered ventilation
- The non-toxic silicone material is comfortable and flexible
- Available in six sizes measured by snout
The GoodBoy Gentle Muzzle Guard for Dogs is a great way to reduce your GSD’s ability to bite and chew, while still permitting drinking, receiving treats, and panting. It is designed to be worn comfortably with a padded snout sheath. The soft design and open front eliminate common chafing areas and hotspots that often develop with other styles.
- Stay-Fit connection easily keeps the muzzle in place
- Utilizes high-quality buckles that keep their position over time
- Available in four sizes
The Lepark Nylon Dog Muzzle is a strap or sheath style muzzle. The durable nylon construction ensures long-lasting performance. It is designed with an adjustable neck strap for an easy fit, and a quick-release buckle for no-hassle muzzling and unmuzzling.
- Chin ring allows leashing for no-pull walks
- Prevents chafing and irritation with a padded nose guard
- Available in six sizes and several colors
The Weebo Pets Breathable Nylon Cloth Safety Muzzle is a sheath style muzzle for average snouted dogs. It is designed to stop biting, nipping, and barking. The durable yet breathable nylon fabric is washable.
- Soft padded piping protects your dog’s nose from chafing
- Available in four sizes for all life stages
- Adjustable neck strap and quick-release buckle ensure a positive fit
The CollarDirect Adjustable Dog Muzzle is a two-pack of sheath style muzzles. Constructed from soft and breathable nylon. It is designed for dogs with average length snouts.
- Allows receiving treats, and drinking, but discourages barking
- Adjustable strap for optimal fit
- Available in three sizes
The Heele Dog Muzzle is a breathable nylon sheath style muzzle. It is constructed from durable nylon and a breathable mesh for a lightweight design. Created in a way that still allows natural breathing, drinking, and panting.
- Designed for dogs with average length snouts
- Adjustable neck strap and quick-release buckle for quick and easy fit
- Available in four sizes
The Barkless Leather Dog Muzzle is a fully adjustable soft leather sheath style muzzle. It is constructed from lightweight, soft, and durable leather, with adjustable straps to ensure an effective and comfortable fit. The straps are riveted to the muzzle for optimal strength.
- Designed to allow normal breathing, drinking, and even eating, while preventing biting and barking
- Attaches to any existing collar for added security
- Available in five sizes
The Mayerzon Dog Muzzle is a soft padded strap style muzzle. It is constructed from soft nylon with extra soft padding. The loops are designed to prevent biting and provide more control over the head by the owner.
- Fully adjustable neck strap allows for a functional and comfortable fit
- Chin ring for additional control while walking
- Available in four sizes
The Four Flags Quick Muzzle is a soft sheath style muzzle. It is designed for larger dogs with average length snouts. It is constructed from durable water and dirt resistant nylon cloth.
- Adjustable straps and quick-release buckle for optimal fit and ease of use
- Reinforced with webbing for extra durability
- Available in ten sizes for the best fit, based on snout circumference
German Shepherd Muzzle Buyer’s Guide
When choosing a muzzle for your German Shepherd, there are a few things to consider. You should make sure that you are choosing a muzzle that will fit your needs, whether you need to break your pup of barking, prevent a biting incident, or stop your curious GSD from scavenging and eating undesirable items.
If you are trying to stop your Shepherd from biting, nearly any of the muzzles we’ve highlighted will work wonderfully. If you are trying to discourage barking, you will likely want to go with a tighter sheath or strap style muzzle, as they will keep the jaws closer to fully closed and will not allow enough room to open and fully bark. For discouraging against foraging and scavenging, the sheath or strap style will also be a better choice. The basket styles allow more jaw movement, and they can be pressed against the ground and your German Shepherd may still be able to eat things they find. With the sheath style, the dog can still push their face into the ground to try to eat things, but the jaw movement restriction will generally not allow them to actually pick up or eat anything.
Dog Muzzle for German Shepherd Review Conclusion
We hope that our guide has helped you to decide which muzzle is right for you and your GSD. As long as you take into account the reason that you want to muzzle train your dog, you should be well equipped to make the right decision and choose an effective muzzle.
- Best Leash for Dogs that Pull
- Best Dog Harness
- Best Dog Muzzle
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Bike Trailer
- Best Dog Stroller
- Best Dog Training Collar
- Best Dog Leash for Running
- Best Dog Food for German Shepherds
- Best Dog Crate for German Shepherds
- Best Dog Bed for German Shepherds
- Best Dog Brush for German Shepherds
- Best Dog Toys for German Shepherds
- Best Dog Collar for German Shepherds
- Best Dog Harness for German Shepherds
- Best Dog Shampoo for German Shepherds