Great Danes are the largest dogs in the world, and well-loved for their loyalty, playfulness, and large size. Some grow to around 3’ tall and almost 200lbs! While a lot of fun, a dog this size–especially when young–can be a challenge to handle due to their rambunctious nature. Whether for training or everyday walking, it’s important to have the right collar for this special dog.
Best Great Dane Dog Collars
Here are our Great Dane dog collar reviews.
The Pet Artist dog collar with handle is made of soft touching genuine leather which is comfortable for a Great Dane’s neck and the owner’s hand. The handle on the collar is specially designed for confident and quick control during dog walking and training. And, the quality craftsmanship is made in the USA.
- The zinc alloy buckle on the collar is anti-rust and durable for daily use.
- Each side of the handle with 2 rivets trimmed with thick waxed thread to ensure it’s durable enough for heavy duty use.
- Two different neck sizes available for a custom fit.
Soft touch luxury collars are made to last. Every collar is handmade and hand-stitched with precise attention to every detail. And, the hide is naturally tanned up to 40 days using ingredients derived from raw materials from nature which gives the leather a warm natural brown color.
- The D-ring is located on top of the collar for an easy leash attachment.
- Solid durable brass hardware that is lacquered and will not rust.
- The soft sheepskin leather padding is smooth to the touch to prevent the fur from catching.
Blueberry collars have undergone more than 600 laboratory tests for effectiveness. The collars come in many different colors and sizes and can be engraved for a custom look. Blueberry also makes a matching leash!
- The material is nylon fabric with high density webbing to add durability.
- The buckles are made from eco friendly plastic.
- With over 30 different colors and multiple sizes, there’s a collar to fit your dog–even a growing pup!
Diezal pet products are built to last your dog’s entire life. The rugged and heavy duty nylon is strong enough to control your Great Dane on a walk. And the extra material leaves room for more patches.
- Diezel collars contains a strong steel load tactile buckle.
- This collar has a quick, two release buckle.
- Built especially for larger dogs, including dogs that work as therapy dogs or military or police dogs.
County Brook collars are made with durable double stitching. Strong grade nylon webbing won’t fray or break easily. The Aluminum and stainless steel buckle ensures a strong lock.
- County Brook is built in the U.S.A. with aluminum and stainless steel hardware for superior strength.
- Colorfast dye means this collar won’t fade or run when wet.
- Country Brook collars can be personalized in twenty five different colors.
Great Dane Collar Buying Guide
As Great Danes are both large and strong, it is essential that the collar you choose be strong enough to restrain the dog if it pulls against it, and have a wide enough band to avoid injury. Also, because the weakest part of a collar is the buckle, you should make sure the buckle won’t unlatch if the Great Dane lunges against it. You should also consider whether whether the dog will regularly swim in salt water, as metal buckles and leash rings will rust and fail quickly when exposed to salt water. If you will be training or handling a young Great Dane, you may want a handle on the collar for more positive control. And don’t forget that you may want to personalize your dog’s collar!
Look for a strong collar
Great Danes are large and powerful. A strong collar is essential for restraining a Great Dane’s impetuous lunge on the leash or tied up outside. Nylon, a common material for collars, is extremely strong–it sometimes exceeds the material strength of a chain! Leather is another typically strong material, but only if the collar is wide enough. Narrow leather belt-style collars and narrow nylon collars may snap unexpectedly after enough strain from a large dog. Look for a collar at least 1.5in or 3cm wide. An added benefit is that a wider collar is more comfortable and safe for your dog–narrower collars may injure or strangle your dog.
Also, look for a strong buckle
Many collars come with plastic locking tabs, which have the benefit of not jingling and being easy to snap on and off. Unfortunately, in the case of large dogs like a Great Dane, these buckles may unsnap suddenly when the dog lunges forcefully, or the lunge may actually break the tabs. For a Great Dane, a plastic buckle should be rated to at least 300lbs. Metal, belt-style buckles are a safer bet in the absence of a load rating, but a powerful dog may bend or break a single tang–look for a double tang for added security.
Choose the right collar, buckle, and ring for your environment
Great Danes are often outdoorsy dogs, and sometimes enjoy swimming. If your dog swims often, or even occasionally swims in the ocean, avoid metal buckles. Most steel will rust quickly when exposed to salt water, and even if it is anti-rust constant wettings may cause corrosion. A heavy-duty plastic buckle is a better bet for these activities. Some metals, like brass, do not rust easily and can also be used. Leather, too, will degrade quickly when repeatedly soaked and dried, so if your dog likes the water then a nylon collar is your best bet.
Owning a Great Dane is a source of pride, and being able to display your dog’s name is a definite bonus. Many collars offer personalization options where the name of the dog is stitched on to the collar itself. Others will allow you to etch a name and address or phone number on the buckle. These are handy options because the kind of tags that attach to large collar can make a lot of jingle noise! Some collars are wide enough to allow you to sew patches on–a great way to remember your adventures with your Great Dane!
- Best Leash for Dogs that Pull
- Best Dog Harness
- Best Dog Muzzle
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Bike Trailer
- Best Dog Stroller
- Best Dog Training Collar
- Best Dog Bark Collar
- Best Dog Leash for Running
- Best Dog Collar
- Best Dog Food for Great Dane Puppies
- Best Great Dane Dog Crates
- Best Dog Food for Great Danes
- Best Dog Bed for Great Danes
- Best Dog Brush for Great Danes
- Best Dog Toys for Great Danes
- Best Dog Harness for Great Danes
- Best Dog Muzzle for Great Danes
- Best Dog Shampoo for Great Danes