While cats don’t like the great outdoors as much as dogs do, you’ll be surprised by how many active cats will enjoy going for a walk around the block. If you happen to own one of these, the most important thing to remember is to keep this safe from the potential dangers of being outside. In this guide, we share the best harnesses for cats while discussing the different kinds available for you to choose from.
What are Cat Harnesses?
Because your cat’s body was designed to be flexible to allow for the smooth movement of its bones, cat collars aren’t a great option for cats that want to explore outside. A good alternative is a harness, which allows the cat’s neck to move freely while providing you control and protection for your cat. Depending on the type of harness, they will usually be made from a flexible yet sturdy fabric that has been woven together.
Harnesses are also a lot more secure compared to a cat’s collar because they don’t just go around a cat’s head but will also extend down to the chest. This helps to secure the neck and the torso and also runs behind their front legs. They also provide a snug fit and will often be suitable for small dogs too, but the list below focuses on options that are made specifically for cats.
The Best Harnesses for Cats
With the right harness, you’ll be able to let your cat roam around safely and without any worries. Here are just a few of the best cat harnesses in the market for you to choose from.
- An award-winning vest that’s hard for escape artists to get out of
- Made from 100% cotton that’s soft and breathable
- Comes with two fastener closures to secure every adventure cat
- Machine washable harness that’s easy to clean whenever needed
Cats that usually hate other harnesses will love this option from Kitty Holster, an award-winning walking vest for cats that’s easy to wear but hard for cats to get out of. Because it’s made from 100% breathable cotton, it’s a great choice for cats that suffer from allergies. Because it comes in different sizes from small cats to extra large cats, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your favorite kitty.
- With a fully adjustable waist and neck to keep your cat secure
- Comes in many different colors and is both durable and machine washable
- Made with breathable air mesh material for comfort
- Suitable for all life stages and comes with a matching leash
When your cat loves going on great outdoor adventures, the RC Pets Adventure Kitty Harness will keep it safe and comfortable as you walk and hike. No matter your cat’s size, you’ll find that this is a good option because it comes in various sizes — you won’t have to use small dog harnesses anymore! It also comes with a reflective signature label so your cat will be visible to others even at night.
- With a bungee leash design that allows them to explore further without tugging
- Has two adjustment points to provide a safe and snug fit
- Designed to apply pressure to the shoulders rather than the throat
- Made using ⅜” wide nylon along with secure and comfy straps
When you want to share an enjoyable walk or want to exercise with your fur baby, the Come With Me Kitty Harness & Bungee Leash is the perfect fit for you. Its patented design allows it to tighten gently around the shoulders, and won’t put any pressure on the throat area while going under their belly. With two quick-release buckles, you’ll have full control over your kitten or cat while it easily comes on and off.
- Made with abrasion-resistant ribbon and nylon webbing for comfort
- With fish clips that keep the harness secure and safe
- This style of harness comes with a soft-padded handle for owners
- Has adjustable straps that allow for the best fit
With the Red Dingo Classic Nylon Cat Harness & Leash cat owners can take their kitty outside with complete confidence. Made using quality materials, this durable harness is both strong and secure while still being a stylish addition to your cat’s accessories. Its simple design allows you to quickly get your cat out of the door and ready to roam around even in warm weather.
- Comes in bright colors that fit your cat’s personality
- Made from black nickel and high-grade nylon for durability
- Available in various sizes to fit the majority of cats
- This adjustable cat harness helps to give you a custom fit
Just snap on this Pawtitas Solid Dog & Cat Harness and you’ll be able to walk with your cat anywhere in style! Made with rip-stop nylon to withstand anything that comes your way, it also has adjustable straps that provide your cat with the perfect fit. Built for comfort, this harness comes with an adjustable neck buckle to evenly distribute the pressure around the body to prevent choking and comfort even if your cat pulls.
- Offers a secure fit using the snap-lock buckle
- This escape-proof harness cat harness prevents cats from making an exit
- With a smart O-ring that prevents the leash from tangling
- The size can be adjusted to sit at the back of your cat
Experience a stress-free walk without any fuss with the Size Right Snag-Proof Adjustable Cat Harness. This escape-proof nylon harness can stop your kitty from backing out from this accessory — with a swivel O-ring, it won’t get tangled with your cat, even if it gets super excited to walk about. It also comes with a snap-lock buckle that fits right under your cat’s belly and its strong nylon construction will keep it looking great for your next adventures.
- Can be adjusted completely for a comfortable and secure fit
- This one-size-fits-all solution is great for any breed of cat
- Features a gorgeous goldfish charm and bow design
- Available in three colors and a beautiful Kimono print
Made from a combination of polyester, PVC, and cotton, Necoichi’s ZEN Fish Charm Cat Harness & Leash Set is sure to set your cat apart from the rest of the crowd. It’s both durable and soft and is a sure fit for any kind of cat thanks to its adjustable design. This is a good choice for cat owners who want their furry friend to have a unique accessory piece for their daily walks or any kind of special occasion.
- Made from a blend of cotton and polyester, it’s a better option during cold weather
- With a metal D-ring located at the back where you can attach a cat leash
- Available in small and medium sizes for cats that want to explore
- This option is easy to clean — just hand wash and dry for more adventures
If you’re looking for wrap-style harnesses, this is the right cat harness for you to help you go out with your feline friend safely and comfortably. Its design ensures that your cat will find it difficult to escape when it wants to wander off but will still help them get the exercise they need. Its sizes will also help throughout your cat’s journey, from the moment they start exploring as kittens until they grow up to be full adults.
Types of Different Harnesses for Cats
Here, we discuss the main types of cat harnesses that you’ll usually find in stores or online.
These are no-bulk and lightweight cat harnesses that consist of thin pieces that run around the cat’s body and around the cat’s neck. They are then connected using a piece that runs over the back of the cat and under the cat’s chest, which can be adjusted or a more custom fit. Because they provide security, they are popular and are also considered to be the best harness.
H-style harnesses consist of a few pieces that form an H that can be attached to a leash, it has been designed to clip around their neck or slipped over your cat’s head. Made to be flexible and light, H harnesses don’t cover your cat’s shoulder blades and are used to give your cat full use of its legs, joints, and muscles. But if it doesn’t come with a chest piece, all the pressure will go to your cat’s throat instead of traveling across its chest if they pull too hard.
Vest harnesses are an excellent choice for cats with extra energy since they can evenly distribute the pressure and pulling weight across their chest. You can slip it over your cat’s head and attach a leash at the back of the harness, making it a great option that’s available in the market today. Vest-style harnesses can be made using breathable polyester mesh for comfort and are also available in different styles.
Made using strong velcro, these look like chunkier versions of the H-harness that wrap around your cat’s neck and abdomen. These can also be made from breathable mesh materials and is among the most adjustable kinds of harnesses. Because they can be easily customized with patches, embroidery, and pins, they can be used in many different ways.
Now that you know about the options available, it’s a great idea to get one as soon as possible to help your cat have fun walks around the block. It’s also a good idea to look into other options such as a jacket-style harness or a full harness that will save you from a whole lot of pain. With the right harness and a few ID tags, you may just reap great success in pushing your indoor cat to take its first steps outside your home.