Today, more and more pet owners are electing to use harnesses rather than collars on their large dogs. Harnesses tend to redistribute the control and result in less pulling and choking of the large dog. Some harnesses are created for working dogs and to carry materials, others announce aspects of the dog, such as their service, and others elect large harnesses for the control and safety the provide.
There are a number of factors that go into selecting the ideal large dog harness, and when selecting a harness for a large dog, these factors are essential. This includes the security, adjustability and durability of the harness.
Best Harnesses for Large Dogs
Here are our large dog harness reviews.
The Voyager step-in allows your to get out and go with quick and easy removal. The Voyager is intended to suit every owner or pet’s personality with multiple colors and sizes to choose. SImply select your style, step in, click and go!
- Two reflective bands on the sides of this harness enhance visibility.
- Available in sixteen colors and six sizes.
- Constructed of soft, breathable air mesh.
The Mighty Paw was created to offer the absolute perfect fit. And, Might Paw was also constructed with your pet’s safety in mind, especially with the no pull and reflective striping. Comfortable padding on the dog’s neck and chest keep your pet happy.
- Adjustable straps at the neck and chest allow for a perfect fit no matter what size or shape of the dog.
- Quick release buckles make for easy removal or wear.
- The durable fabric is wear resistant.
The Babyltrl is highly rated and designed for large dogs. This harness is no pull and choke free. And, it’s adjustable fit ensures a secure and comfortable fit.
- The pulling pressure is evenly distributed to the body to prevent choking.
- The harness comes with a D-ring leash attachment point to help you to control your dog.
- The reflective strip keeps you and your pet visible in low light.
The Expawlorer dog vest is designed to offer comfortable control of larger dogs. The quick buckle helps adjust the dog vest. And the nylon harness is thick, breathable, and comfortable.
- The dog harness is designed with a quick buckle for easy wear.
- Equipped with nighttime reflective tape for visibility.
- A strong rubber ring on the top of the harness allows for direct and effective control.
Ruffwear makes products for dogs and their humans that love adventure. Ruffwear is durable and this harness is designed for the large pet and owner on the go. With a customizable fit and comfort, there’s a Ruffwear out for you.
- Five convenient points of adjustment offer full range of motion.
- The foam-padded straps provide lasting comfort without hindering movement.
- The RUFFWEAR offers two sturdy leash ring connectors.
The Embark Adventure harness provides ease of wear; adjust once and you’re ready to go. The soft padded harness offers comfort while also not pulling or choking the animal. Designed for adventure, the Emback features 250 times the pulling strength of a traditional harness.
- Two points of adjustment required only once, on the neck and chest.
- The no pull dog harness for large dogs surpasses national pulling strength guidelines by over 100 pounds.
- Embark harnesses feature a no pull front leading leash attachment which has been tripled in strength since the first model.
The Paw Five is designed with the large, active dog in mind. The ergonomic design is comfortable and adjustable. And, the bright colors maximize visibility for safety.
- The waterproof outer-shell also features authentic safety belts.
- Adjustable waist and chest straps ensure the perfect fit.
- Interchangeable side patches allows for personalization.
PHOPOET is constantly working to improve all their products with upgrades, and the no pull dog harness is one of their improved products! Two sturdy metal hooks offer to locations for leash attachment. And the three snap buckles eliminate the need to place this over the dog’s head.
- Available in five attractive colors and sizes.
- The PHOPET features high-quality 3M reflective material.
- Soft and useful handles help control the dog.
The TIANYAO dog harness is designed specifically for large breed dogs. The unique triangular design distributes the weight to prevent pulling or choking. Two leash attachments allow for a front attachment for guiding or a back attachment for gentle walking.
- The triangular connected straps design is more tear resistant and durable.
- This pet harness comes with two sturdy metal D-ring on front and back range to attach the leash lead.
- Reflective straps maintain high visibility.
The Rabbitgoo harness is designed to help you control your pet while keeping your pet comfortable. Available in a variety of colors, the Rabbitgoo features two metal leash rings for safer walks. Fast release buckles help make the harness easy to put on or pull off.
- This adjustable harness features four easy adjusting straps.
- Made of durable nylon oxford and padded with a soft cushion.
- Bright reflective strips ensure safety in low visibility.
The Barkbay harness is designed specifically for large dogs. This harness comes in a variety of colors and features quick release buckles for easy wear and removal. And the anti-chafe material ensures your pet’s comfort.
- ID tag pocket ensures your pet can be easily identified.
- Ultra reflective strips offer visibility in low lights.
- The harness features two D-ring leash attachments at the front and the back of the dog.
Large Dog Harness Buying Guide
No harness is created exactly alike; brands are constantly improving on harness features, from more secure D-rings to added reflective striping. There are a variety of factors to consider when selecting the ideal harness for your large dog. First, understand your dog’s temperament. Some dogs will not tolerate slipping on a harness over their head and thus putting on the harness becomes a frustrating chore. Other dogs will be more comfortable with specific materials. Read on to see what factors we believe are essential to consider when selecting a harness.
It is important to determine the type of harness your large dog will be comfortable putting on and removing. There are two main types of harnesses:
Body Mesh/Step In: The mesh or step in harnesses typically tends to cover more of the body of your dog. Here, the dog steps into the harness and it is then adjusted into it. These harnesses tend to be a little looser; these are ideal for very calm dogs, older dogs or dogs that might require it for medical reasons.
Reinforced Strap: These dog harnesses are usually placed on and adjusted with two or three strap buckles. These types of harnesses usually offer the highest security and long lasting durability.
Finding a hardness with multiple levels of adjustment ensures the most secure fit and also the most comfortable. When a harness fully fits the dog, it will redistribute the weight and prevent pulling or choking on the dog. Also, harnesses that offer more reinforced adjustments provide more control over the pet.
There are many materials used in harnesses, from breathable mesh to reinforced nylon. It is important to determine the level of control that is required for your pet. Other factors to consider:
Waterproof material: Harnesses that offer waterproof materials will be more durable than harnesses that soak in water. These harnesses will also keep your pet more comfortable and prevent inurt.
Reflective striping: Many harnesses offer reflective striping. This safety feature allows cars and other people to see you and your pet even in very low light. Reflective striping is essential for those who walk late at night with their pet, or who may let their pet out at night.