You’re painting with a broad brush if you are trying to find the best leash for dogs that pull. That’s because there’s no one-size that fits all.
Small dogs can be like livewires when they are outside and their delicate canine bodies need leashes that offer some amount of support, while trying to control the pulling.
Large dogs are a different ball game altogether. It can feel like you are trying to control the freight train. In extreme cases, it can even cause serious injuries to you if the dog is big enough.
That’s why, it is important to consider a few key variables before you narrow down on the best leash for dog that pulls.
Here’s a little help.
Leashes for Dogs that Pull Review Center 2019
|Image||Leash for Dogs that Pull||Rating|
|#1 - ThunderLeash No Pull Solution Dog Leash||99%|
|#2 - Harness Lead Escape Resistant||96%|
|#3 - PetSafe Gentle Leader Head Collar||93%|
|#4 - RABBITGOO No Pull Dog Harness||89%|
|#5 - PetLove Soft Leash Padded No Pull Dog Harness||85%|
Like most pet parents, if you walk your dog on a regular basis, it is important that you either learn why your dog pulls and how to control it (speak to the dog trainer), or, you arm yourself with the best no-pull dog leash.
We will give you our two cents on the dog pulling behavior, which might be different from what you have heard so far.
How we selected the best leash for dog pulling:
Despite all the stories that you might have heard about dogs managing to slip out of no pull harnesses and leashes not being effective enough, your shopping decision still boils down to a few key variables.
This is where most pet parents get it wrong. Buy a no pull leash that’s one size too big and it won’t be snug enough to provide the much needed feedback that deters the pet from pulling. So, it is crucial that you get the sizing right. Measure the girth of the dog’s torso around the chest and select the size accordingly. If you are still unsure, speak to the manufacturer about the right size for your pet.
There are normal no pull dog leashes and ones that have a harness/vest integrated into it. Both work equally well. If you already have a dog vest, then you might want to buy a leash that is compatible with it. The advantage of choosing one with a vest is that it will help distribute the pressure evenly as compared to leashes that tend to impart excessive pressure at one single point.
Look for straps, vests and harnesses that are thickly padded, even if this translates into a little extra bulk. It’s way better than selecting a flimsy strap that can bite into the skin and cause chaffing.
Last but not the least, read reviews to know about the quality. A no-pull dog leash will be used multiple times every day. You need something that can withstand the wear and tear easily.
Here are our reviews of some of the most popular leashes for dogs that pull. When ready, click the button to check the price on both Chewy and Amazon.
ThunderLeash is one of the oldest and most popular leashes for dogs that pull. It uses a very gentle pressure on the torso that deters the dog from pulling. And it is so easy to use that you can put it on and get going in minutes.
No messy straps and pads to deal with.
Heavy-duty nylon construction
ThunderLeash is made of heavy duty nylon. It is waterproof and can easily withstand the pull from even the heaviest of dogs. Just ensure that you buy the right size for your pet.
It is available in three sizes, small, medium and large. The large one is for dog breeds above 25 lbs.
The hardware (buckles) are rust-proof stainless steel and remain impervious to everyday wear and tear.
The best part is that it can be used as a regular leash if need be. So, when your dog isn’t distracted by a chipmunk or overwhelmed by the surroundings, you can switch modes into the regular leash.
The ThunderLeash Buckle
ThunderLeash easily attaches to the D-Ring in any standard dog collar. Just wrap it around the torso of the dog and connect it to the ThunderLeash Collar and you are all set to experience pull-free walking.
If you still experience slight pulls from your dog, just adjust the safety buckle until its snug (not tight) and recheck.
ThunderLeash applies gentle feedback on the dog’s torso which is gentler than what a typical choke collar does. There is minimal pressure on the trachea and so far, it has worked for over 80% of the dogs that use it.
In case you are not satisfied, or if your dog manages to still yank you away to where they want, you can return the ThunderLeash for a refund. It comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
P.S. The manufacturer also offers a doggie vest called ThunderShirt that absorbs the feedback provided by the ThunderLeash and evenly distributes it across the dog’s torso. If the ThunderLeash doesn’t work for you as a standalone no-pull solution, you’d want to check this out.
Why we like this
- Proven performance
- Thousands of positive customer reviews
- Heavy duty nylon construction
- 3 sizes
- Easy to use
- Gentle feedback on the dog’s chest prevents pulling
- Can be used as a regular leash when needed
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
Things to watch out for
- Despite the design, ThunderLeash might apply some amount of pressure on the dog’s trachea. It won’t choke the dog. But if you have an old dog that finds it difficult to breathe (but still pulls), you’d want to speak to the manufacturer before you use this.
We first saw the Escape Resistant leash for dog that pulls in action a couple of years ago at a dog show in Ohio. It was around a 50 lb. terrier and she was trying every trick up her sleeve to get out of it. She tried backing out, squeezing her way through it, trying to chew it and even a few mid-air doggie somersaults that only dogs can do.
The leash just stayed put until she gave up, gently got up and behaved as calm as a toddler in her stroller.
We were quite pleasantly surprised by the design. Apart from the fact that it completely stopped pulling, we also liked that it uses a rounded strap as opposed to a flat one and this greatly reduces chaffing, for both dogs and owners.
Can stop a boat?
That’s what Harness Lead claims. We spoke to customers who have used this for their 130 lbs. dogs and they have had only good things to say about it. So we are believers.
The strap is hand spliced in the US.
It has a slightly cumbersome design, especially when you compare it with ThunderLeash. But once you wear it around your pet for a couple of times, you should get a hang of things. So, we wouldn’t call that a deal breaker.
On a positive note, there are no buckles and metal hardware that can potentially hurt your pet.
Two sizes, multiple colors
If you are finicky about color-matching everything canine, then you’ll be pleased to know that the Harness Lead Escape Resistant is available in two sizes and seven colors.
Excellent quality, USA made leash for dogs that pull.
Why we like this
- Rounded straps in place of flat one
- No chaffing
- Great customer reviews
- No metal hardware
- Does not choke the pet
- Easy to adjust
- Hand spliced in the USA
- Excellent tensile strength
Things to watch out for
- Is not chew proof. Hence, never use this to tie the dog around home. He will be back on the couch before you know.
The Gentle Leader Head Collar is a slightly different type of leash for dog that pulls. Instead of a conventional no-pull leash that applies gentle pressure on the dog’s torso, this one goes around the head of the dog in a loop.
Apart from discouraging pulling, it also stops a lot of other annoying doggie behaviors, like barking at passersby and lunging.
Completely safe no-pull solution
A lot of pet parents are skeptical about using a head collar because they fear that it might choke their pets. That’s far from it.
The PetSafe Gentle Leader Head Collar is completely safe. It does not choke your pet and the neoprene loop that goes around their head is heavily padded. There will be no skin-burns or chaffing.
Also, the pressure/feedback that it applies on the dog is very gentle.
Perfect for training dogs to heel
This head collar was originally designed to facilitate obedience training in pets. But it was so effective in helping control leash pulling, that many veterinarians started to recommend this as the best leash for dogs that pull.
If your dog has not undergone obedience training, then use the DVD included in the pack. It might take a couple of sessions for them to get used to the new leash.
The PetSafe dog leash for pullers is available in five sizes for dog breeds ranging from 5 lbs. to 130 lbs.
Why we like this
- Unconventional but very effective design
- Gentle feedback that deters pulling, barking and lunging
- Padded neoprene head loop that prevents chaffing
- Does not choke your pet
- DVD included for dogs that are transitioning from conventional leashes
- Great reviews
- Veterinarian recommended solution for obedience training
Things to watch out for
- Does not work for brachycephalic (short-nosed) breeds.
Remember us mentioning the ThunderShirt, an additional accessory available for purchase with the ThunderLeash? The Rabbitgoo no pull dog harness is a combination of the two.
It is a no pull leash and a no pull vest combined into one. That’s what makes it so effective.
Any pressure that the dog exerts is completely absorbed and evenly distributed on to the torso, thereby eliminating any chances of unwanted pressure on the spine or the trachea.
Dual Metal Leash Attachment points
The Rabbitgoo no pull dog harness features dual metal leash attachment points. There’s one on the back of the vest and one on the chest allowing you to choose the one that works best for your pet.
The vest and the strap itself are thick and provide ample padding to prefer soreness or chaffing.
When not on use as a dog leash for pulling, you can just leave the vest on. It is a breathable material that’s not the least bit uncomfortable for your dog.
This also allows you to quickly attach the leash for an impromptu walk down the neighborhood or an unplanned visit to the vet.
Reflective Straps for those late evening walks
RabbitGoo dog leash for pulling features reflective straps that keep you covered for those late evening walks.
It is available in seven sizes and five colors, including a black one with LED strips on it.
A well rounded package at a shoestring price tag.
Why we like this
- Vest and harness integrated into one
- Dual metal attachment points (One on back and one on the chest)
- Size adjustable
- Prevents choking and evenly distributes the pressure
- Reflective straps
- Easy to wear and remove
- Seven sizes, five colors including one with an LED
- Heavy, breathable material
Things to watch out for
- The leash is not the heaviest grade nylon that we have seen. It still is durable mind you. Just that we’ve seen heavier grade nylon and if you use this frequently for large dogs, you might notice some amount of wear and tear in a few months.
Getting a no pull leash for dogs with sensitive skin is a nightmare. Even the most thickly padded harnesses somehow manage to bite into the skin and leave scrapes.
Not this ultra-soft harness from PetLove. It is as soft as it comes and the lush padding is perfect for doggies with all skin types.
You can be rest assured that this won’t hurt your pet one bit.
Mesh Lining with sponge padding on the inside
This is the only leash for dog that pulls, with a soft sponge lining on the inside near the back and the chest.
So, the actual nylon layer never comes into contact with your dog’s skin.
At the same time, the outer layers are as durable as you’d need. The tensile strength is top notch and the design keeps even the most ardent escape artist from breaking out of this.
Reflective straps and bright colors
The PetLove Soft Leash Padded No Pull Dog Harness is available in eight sizes and five bright colors that stand out and offer easy visibility from a distance.
For low light situations, there are reflective strips neatly embedded into the harness at vital points.
Overall, you’d be hard pressed to find a better package at this price point. Great reviews to back it up!
Why we like this
- No pull harness with a sponge padding inside
- Perfect for dogs with sensitive skin
- Eight sizes, five colors
- Reflective strips for easy visibility
- Excellent tensile strength
Things to watch out for
- The extra padding comes at the cost of added bulk to the harness. So, it can be a little uncomfortable for the dog if you leave the vest on at all times. On a positive note, it is extremely easy to put on and remove.
Other products we considered
Here are the other products that we considered:
The Durable 1″ Nylon Material of the Leashboss Short Dog Leash is made to hold up any dog. The Padded Handle allows for added comfort and protection. You have the option to choose between a 12, 18, or 24 inch leash;with each length made in all sizes.
- Material is sturdy and allows for slight give.
- Comfortable handle will make long walks considerably easier.
- Many sizes available, increasing the chance of a perfect fit.
The stretchy shock resistant material of the EzyDog ZERO SHOCK Leash reduces pulling, offers extra padding, lowers chafing and increases comfort. The leash is interwoven with reflective trim, it comes in a variety of colors with your choice of 25″ or 48″ leashes, both of which are compatible with any ZERO SHOCK product.
- Shock resistant material dissuades your pooch from pulling and keeps them at your side.
- Padded handle and reflective trim increase safety while out walking.
- Variety of colors and sizes to choose from, all of which are compatible with componies other products.
The front leading PoyPet No Pull Harness is softly padded for your dog’s comfort while still offering the same measure of control. Three buckles ensure its easy removal and adjustment, no complicated ties or snap ons. All of the pressure from pulling is evenly distributed through the harness, removing risk of choking for your pup.
- Soft and padded well for your dog’s comfort.
- Easy on and off access with three simple buckles.
- Pressure is evenly distributed over the harness, ensuring no choking.
The Raining Pet No Pull Harness Dog Leash Set has easy on and off access, two buckles with room for adjustments, severely cutting down time needed to get going. The cozy design of the harness distributes weight evenly, removing discomfort when pulling occurs. With two spots for the leash to connect to the harness, it gives the owner a choice how they wish to train.
- chew resistant and durable
- Weight distributed evenly means no choking hazard.
- Multiple leash connection places offer choices depending on situation.
The Primal Pet Gear Dog Leash sports two handles, one for leisure walks and the other for no pull training. The high quality of the material is guaranteed to withstand pulling. There is a one year warranty, so if your leash does ware down you can have another sent.
- Two handles for either leisure or training.
- High quality material, sturdy and long lasting.
- One Year Replacement Warranty
Vivaglory Short Dog Leash has a padded handle, the soft fabric reducing chafing from the leash. The clasp on the leash is 360 degree rotating, preventing the lead from twisting into knots. This product comes in 12, 18, and 30 inch length, allowing the buyer to decide what they want.
- Soft padded handle reduces pain in hands.
- A 360 degree swivel clasp that prevents tangling.
- Varied lengths to purchase for training, no pull, or leisure walks.
SparklyPets Heavy Duty Rope Bungee Leash is tough nylon, making it chew resistant for even the tenacious puppy. The shock absorbing bungee keeps your dog from choking by stopping the pulling and making them heel at your side. The company is so sure you’ll love it that they have a five year warranty.
- Chew resistant and durable
- Bungee quality stops choking and pulling
- Five Year Money Back Guarantee
The Leashboss Traffic Handler is the perfect length for teaching your pup the proper position for heel. The material is strong while still being soft enough to prevent leash burn on you or your dog. This leash has a solid handle that makes it great for bigger dogs who press the leash painfully into your hand.
- Good length for training purposes.
- Material is strong without being rough on skin/fur.
- Solid, plastic handle is great for gripping.
The Black Rhino Dog Leash has two handles for better control, one handle for training and one for leisurely strolls. The grip is comfortable for short or long walks while still having good traction, and it is made of sturdy, weather resistant material.
- Two handles for better control
- Comfortable grip while still having traction
- Weather resistant and sturdy
JIEPAI Tactical Bungee Dog Leash has comfort grip padding, good length to keep your pup at your side, and a handle that makes controlling your dog’s direction easier. It is elastic with a hook that can withstand the pull of Large dogs. A metal rotating clip makes the leash never tangle with your dog or you.
- All around great design
- Good stretch and elastic quality
- 360 degree swivel clasp, no more tangling.
The lynxking Dog Leash is made of braided rope that does wonders for durability and grip. The slip resistant design reduces the possibility of your pup losing lead during a walk. The no pulling design allows you to adjust the size of the leash depending on your needs.
- Sturdy Material and good grip
- Slip resistant design to stop escape artists
- No pulling with the adjustable size for collar on leash.
The WINSEE Dog Harness has reflective material on the adjustable vest, allowing comfort and safety while on your walk. The front and back leash clip gives you options for where you would like your dog to heel. The vest is made from a sturdy fabric that evenly shifts the weight from pulling to stop choking.
- Reflective and adjustable harness is safer for your dog
- Front or Back clip is available for you choosing
- Made from sturdy fabric that stops choking from pulling
PHOEPET 2019 Upgraded No Pull Dog Harness is an adjustable vest that has easy on and off access with three buckles. The harness has reflective material lining it as well as double leash hooks for the owner’s convenience. The handle on the back is soft while still offering grip.
- Adjustable vest with easy on and off.
- Reflective material and double leash hooks for convenience
- Extra handle on dog’s back for more leverage in case it’s needed.
The BARKBAY No Pull Dog Harness is made from heavy duty materials that guarantee durability even for the worst of pullers. The handle on the back is reflective with a soft grip and the ID Tag pocket gives you a special place to keep your dog’s info just in case your pooch wonders off.
- Heavy duty and sturdy material is sure to be long lasting
- Handle on back offers extra leverage while being reflective, adding to safety.
- A specific pocket for the ID Tags, in the worst case scenario.
Big Dog Harness offers no choking safety your pet deserves while keeping them at your side in heel position. The vest is easy to wear and adjustable to ensure your dog’s comfort while walking. A leash hook and sturdy handle on the back give the owner easier control of their pooch.
- No choking or pulling from the harness
- Easy off and on, adjustable for easy access.
- Hook and handle combo make for better grip on your pooch when they are pulling.
TIANYAO Dog Harness Set includes a harness that offers pull resistance and a reflective material for safe night walks. The vest material is made with padding for your dog’s comfort. This Harness, Leash and Collar set is for Large dogs and is adjustable within that size.
- Pull resistant vest that is also reflective for safety
- Soft padding on vest stops chafing while still doing the job.
- This set is for Large dogs and adjustable within that range.
An Eagloo Dog Harness offers protection with the adjustable vest and padding for their comfort. It is made from soft but sturdy material for durability, with reflective trimmings for safer night walks. Two leash rings offer better control.
- Pull protection with soft padded vest and adjustable to fit any size dog.
- Soft but sturdy vest, made with reflective trimmings for safety and comfort.
- Double leash rings give added control for excitable pups.
The Comfort Fit Pets No Pull Small Dog Harness Vest is easily removable with quick release clip for your convenience. Both the interior and exterior are padded, preventing chafing or collar burn. The harness comes in a variety of colors, but only the small size.
- Easy on and off with a quick release clip, reducing time before each walk.
- Vest is well padded on inside and outside for comfort.
- Small size only, but many colors for that size.
QQPETS Dog Harness Leash Set has both a leash and harness with adjustable capabilities. The material is heavy duty while still being comfortable for your dog. The harness is pull resistant and comes in any size needed, as well as having cute designs.
- Set comes with leash and harness, harness is adjustable
- Material is comfortable for your dog while still beign sturdy
- Comes in any size, small to large, and has a variety of interesting designs.
The Max and Neo Triple Handle Traffic Dog Leash offers a variety of grip. Made of heavy duty nylon, this leash still has a soft texture for both you and your dog’s comfort. Each handle is made of neoprene which allows a comfortable grip.
- Three different grips for any need you may have on a walk.
- Made from tough nylon, but still comfy for your pooch
- All three handles are made from soft, neoprene which is a comfort for your hands on long walks.
PIXNOR Dog Harness offers excellent control for medium to large dogs. The vest is pull resistant, made from sturdy material, and adjustable for your needs. With an easy buckle for removal, the harness takes seconds to put on. The sturdy handle on top gives you more control over your pup and makes training easier.
- Vest is sturdy, pull resistant, and adjustable for your dog’s comfort.
- Buckle offers easy on and off access for on the go walks.
- Handle on top of harness offers extra control, nice for heel training.
WALKTOFINE 6FT Bungee Dog Leash offers shock absorption in a 10 foot long leash. With two layers of nylon material it is doublely soft as others while remaining durable. A safety lock catch allows you to walk with confidence that your pooch won’t slip its lead while out and about.
- Shock Absorption in the elasticy material of the leash stops pulling and choking.
- Double layered nylon for extra durability and comfort.
- Safety locking gives owner confidence that their pup won’t get off lead.
ECO-CLEAN Dog Leash has two handles for added control, one regular length and one for heel training. The lead has reflective stitching woven in for safer night walks. The material is durable and sturdy while still being comfortable on your hands.
- Two handles for added control and heel training.
- Leash is decently long with reflective trim, good for safety
- Material is good and strong while still being comfortable to hold.
SlowTon No Pull Small Dog Harness and Leash includes a heavy duty harness for small animals and a leash. The harness is padded for your pet’s comfort and adjustable to better fit your friend. The leash has an anti twist function, allowing your pup to run without worry of tangles.
- Harness is heavy duty and well made, with a matching leash
- Harness is padded well and is adjustable to prevent chafing.
- Leash is anti twist, nice for dog owners whose pups are mischievous
Embark Urban Dog Harness has easy removal with adjustable straps. You only need to set the size once, then you’re ready to go. With front and back leash attachment and a handle on the back, this harness offers added control for the owner. The harness is designed to distribute the weight evenly, stopping choking and pulling.
- Adjustable straps allow for easy on and off access.
- Leash attachments and handle give added control over excitable pups.
- Harness is designed to distribute weight evenly with no choking or pulling.
The DOGNESS Classic Double Handle Dog Leash offers better control for crowds with the double grip. The leash is made of high quality nylon, giving it durability against the strongest dogs. With its padded handle, long walks will no longer cause leash burn.
- Double handle offers great control for training and crowds
- High quality material, nylon and polyester combination to make sturdy leash.
- Padded handle to prevent leash burn for long walks
The voopet 2 Feet Nylon Dog Leash offers perfect control for heel training. This heavy duty leash is made for medium to large dogs, the nylon holding even the strongest of dogs. The threads are interwoven with reflective material making night walks safer.
- 2 foot long leash is good for heel training your puppy
- Leash is heavy duty nylon and made for medium to large dogs.
- Reflective threading makes night walks safer for both of you.
The No Pull Dog Harness from Bark Appeal is a padded, step in harness that comes in any size. The harness is adjustable for your pup’s comfort. Included is a leash with the length of 5’ that matches whichever harness you purchase. The material is breathable while still being sturdy enough to do the job.
- Harness is soft, adjustable, and easy for your dog to step into,
- Five Foot Leash included with purchase of Harness
- Material is sturdy but breathable for your dog’s comfort.
The ICEFANG Tactical Dog Harness is sturdy while offering chafing protection for your pup. The front leash attachment clip offers control for the owner, the handle on the back gives the owner a gripping point as well.
- Sturdy material while protecting the dog from chafing.
- Front leash attachment gives better control or guide for the owners
- Handle on top of harness offers extra control, nice if it is needed.
The HICOBOS Training Leash is perfect for training your pooch, with two handles for better control while out walking. The leash is made from bungee type material allowing for shock absorption and making it pull resistant. It is 6 feet long, allowing for both training and leisure, and reflective for safer night walks.
- Two handles is good for training, one heel and one for leisure.
- Made from bungee material, touch and elastic to stop choking.
- Reflective stitching adds safety for night walks.
The AmazonBasics Dog Leashes has a variety of different types for you to choose from.The double grip is nice for heel training or leisure walks. With its padded handles, this leash makes long walks with your pooch a dream.
- Wide variety of product colors and designs.
- Double grip is nice for heel training and leisure walks.
- Padded handles to prevent leash burn on longer walks.
The Might Paw Car Dog Harness is adjustable and comes in any size. The vest and straps are sturdy enough to do the job while being comfortable. This harness is made for walking, training, and to clip into a car with ease. It doubles as a standard no pull harness with the leash attachment on the chest.
- Vest and straps are adjustable and comfortable for dog.
- Multi-purpose harness good for walking, car rides, or training.
- Front Leash Clip adds pull resistance when harness is used on walks.
The AIMENG No Pull Harness For Small Medium Large Dogs is adjustable so it fits snugly on any breed of dog. Made of light weight mesh material, the harness is comfortable for your dog. It has reflective webbing as trim for safe night walks.
- Adjustable and comes in any size of dog.
- Made of light weight mesh and nylon, ensuring sturdiness and breathability.
- Reflective webbing as trim makes night walks safer.
The Bolux Dog Harness is a no pull, reflective and sturdy piece of equipment designed for your dog’s comfort. The harness pulls pressure evenly as to stop choking or chafing. It has an easy grab handle on the back with a comfortable grip.
- Breathable and Reflective material for dog’s comfort.
- Pressure is distributed evenly across the chest to stop choking.
- Sturdy handle on back makes for an easy grab if you need it,
Embark Illuminate Reflective Dog Harness is made with sturdy material allowing for long lasting use. With one buckle, set the adjustments once and you are set with easy removal. The material is highly reflective for better safety on night walks.
- Sturdy material, long lasting harness that wont need replacement.
- Simple easy on and off buckle and adjustment.
- Highly reflective material, good for night or day walks.
Waggin’ Tails Co Soft and Thick Double Handle Premium Nylon 4FT x 3/4 in Leash is made for training and leisure. The shorter hand grip can be used for heel training while the longer one for relaxing walks. The double handles are well padded for your comfort. The leash is made from high grade nylon, making it sturdy for even the strongest pup.
- Made for both leisure and training walks with double handles.
- Both handles are well padded with neoprene for your comfort
- Made from high grade nylon, this leash is sturdy enough for any dog.
The juxzh Truelove Soft Front Dog Harness is made with your dog’s comfort in mind with a padded vest and adjustable straps. The handle on the back is sturdy if you need your dog close to you. Throughout the harness is a reflective webbing that increases your safety during walks.
- Padded vest with adjustable straps combined for your dog’s comfort.
- Handle is sturdy and in easy reach should you need it.
- Reflective webbing lines the harness, increasing safety on walks.
My Busy Dog Harness Vest is well made with nylon and mesh webbing to ensure comfort and durability. The buckles give it easy removal access for when you’re on the go. The Front Chest clip allows you to keep your pup at your side during walks while reducing pulling.
- Well made with nylon and mesh for comfort and durability
- Buckles give you easy on and off access whenever you need it
- The front clip puts your dog squarely at your side on walks, great for heel training.
Fashion&cool Heavy Duty Dog Leash is built for durability and comfort, its sturdy material allowing for up to 150lb dogs. Interwoven into the fabric is reflective trimming, increasing your visibility during walks. Installed into the harness is a car buckle made to easily clip into the seat.
- Sturdy material allows for up to 150lb dogs
- Reflective trim interwoven into the leash, increasing personal safety day or night.
- Car belt included in design for easy on the go help.
Didog Flannel Padded Dog Vest Harness is made of nylon with fleece padding for your pup’s comfort. The design is made to stop pulling with the clip on top, no more worry about your pup choking themselves. A single buckle ensures a quick and easy on and off process every time.
- Sturdy nylon with fleece padding combine for the comfort of your dog.
- The clip on top stops pulling and keeps your dog at your side during walks.
- With only one buckle it is easy to take on and off.
RUFFWEAR No Pull Harness is made for extended wear and use. This harness is well padded to avoid chaffing and rubbing, with 4 points of adjustment to allow for a snug fit for your dog. With 2 leash connection points this harness is a great starter for training any dog of any size.
- Well padded to avoid chaffing and rubbing.
- With 4 points of adjustment, this will fit any dog it needs to.
- 2 Leash connection points makes for easy walking and training.
How to Choose a Leash for Dogs that Pull: A Buying Guide
When it comes to choosing a dog leash, there are a lot of options out there. In fact, when you look at the variety of materials, lengths, styles and functionality of the leashes on the market these days, there are probably thousands to choose from. That makes it hard to choose one even if you don’t have any particular limitations on what kind of leash to get. But what if you need a leash for a dog that pulls? This is a common problem that many dog owners experience, and sometimes, choosing the right leash can make a whole lot of difference. Let’s take a look at some of the things to keep in mind when choosing a dog leash and dog collar for a puppy that pulls.
Why Your Dog Pulls
The first thing that you have to understand is why your dog pulls. Whether a dog is in a collar or dog harness, they will still pull is the behavior is not corrected.
The first thing that you need to understand is that your dog doesn’t pull on purpose – in other words, he or she isn’t doing it to make you mad. The second thing to understand is that there are ways that you can use the dog treat method and various tools like automatic fetch machines and dog activity monitors to make sure that your dog is getting enough exercise while outside near their dog house rather than penning up all of that energy to make it more difficult for you to walk them.
You can also make sure that you are meeting their needs with things like interactive dog toys, a dog bowl that is situated nearby and more. But you still need to find the best leash for dogs that pull. The best leash for pullers is difficult to find, but this buying guide below will help you find the best no pull leash on the market right now.
The Benefits of Good Leashes for Dogs That Pull
There are some pretty compelling benefits to getting a leash for dogs that that pull. Just like anything else that you get for your dog, like a dog bed or dog playpen, you want the best. Getting a good leash has lots of benefits. For example, you are able to train your dog much more effectively with a leash. In addition, many cities and towns have leash laws, requiring that whenever you are not using your dog crate or outdoor dog kennel, or letting your dog run loose in your yard or inside your house, you are required to have them on a leash.
Plus, you can prevent them from running out into the road when you are out for a walk, and people that are scared of dogs will not have as much anxiety over a dog on a leash. Plus, you can tie them to a street sign temporarily if you need to answer your phone or use the pooper scooper and poop bag.
The Three Types of Dog Leashes
There are three basic types of leashes that you want to know about. All of them can be useful for dogs that pull, but some of them are better than others.
- Fixed Length: The first type of leash is the fixed length leash. This is a leash that is always the same length no matter what. The benefit of this type of leash when it comes to being one of the best no pull leashes is that your dog will be trained to expect that length and will eventually stop trying to pull when they realize there is no more room.
- Retractable: The next is the retractable leash. Many experts recommend this as the perfect leash to give your dog the room to run and the best dog leash for pullers. The benefit of this type of leash is that you can give your dog room and then reel them back in when you need to. However, they will never get used to a specific length and may pull even more, so this may backfire.
- Adjustable: Finally, there are adjustable leashes that can be very short or very long. The benefit of these is that you have the ability to make them short for added control when you need it. For example, if you are doing a puppy shampoo, you may need to keep a tight grip on a very short leash. The dog shampoo is not always popular with dogs and they might try to run. Some dogs don’t even like when you use the dog brush on them so you need a short leash for these activities.
Now, let’s discuss some of the common leash materials out there. You should also be aware of the best dog collar for pulling when you are thinking about the material for a leash. You may not have a lot of choices such as if your dog has a flea collar or you are attending a special event and your pup is wearing a dog costume, but the collar material can be just as important as the leash material.
- Nylon: First up is nylon; which is one of the cheapest materials out there. It is also weak compared to the other two on this list, but the truth is, most nylon leashes are plenty strong. You can use nylon if you are looking for the best leashes for dogs who pull without worrying that they will break unless the leash is extremely thin and poorly made.
- Leather: Another common leash material when it comes to the best dog leash for pulling is leather. Leather leashes look really nice and they are stronger than nylon.
- Chain: Finally, some leashes are made out of chain – or a combination of leather and chain. Chain leashes are strong, but unless you have some part that isn’t chain to hold onto, your hands are going to get torn out pretty quickly if you have a dog that pulls.
Standard Leash Lengths
There are four main lengths that leashes come in and the one that you choose will depend upon the size of your dog, how much control you want to wield and how much you want to spend. Of course, these are not the only sizes out here, but they are the most common. Retractable leashes often can be up to 25 feet or more at their maximum length and can be as short as you desire.
- 4-Foot: The first is the 4-foot leash. This is the best leash if you need to keep control of your dog for a bath or other temporary event. However, you will have a difficult time walking your dog with a leash this small.
- 6-Foot: A 6-foot leash will work for walks for most dogs. The six-foot leash is the most common length of leash sold in department stores and pet depots.
- 8-Foot: If your dog needs a little more freedom, then an 8-foot leash might be appropriate. This gives them a couple more feet of room, but it does potentially put them in danger if the leash is long enough to reach a busy street with cars driving by.
- 10-Foot: Of course, you could always go with the 10-foot leash, but it is recommended that you buy an adjustable one if that is the case. You are not likely going to want a full 10 feet on every walk you take with your dog.
A Word about Leash Width
There are some things to consider when it comes to leash width – especially when looking for a leash for a dog that pulls. Leash width comes down to a simple rule-of-thumb: thicker is usually better. The thicker your leash is, the stronger it is. However, the disadvantage is that thick leashes can be heavy, unwieldy and they can cost more than thinner ones.
Style may not seem like a very important consideration when choosing a leash, but for those who enjoy style, getting a collar and leash for a dog that pulls that matches or is aesthetically pleasing doesn’t cost much more than standard, less attractive leashes. You can find lots of different leash styles online with plenty that come with matching dog collars.
The Bottom Line
The bottom line is that your leash keeps your dog with you on walks and prevents accidents. Leashes aren’t perfect, and you should definitely install something like a GPS tracker for dogs as a backup plan, but for the most part, leashes are a great way to keep your dog under control and getting a leash for a dog that pulls will allow you to train your dog and curb that behavior. There are a lot of factors to consider, but with this guide you should have a much better idea on what kind of leash to choose.