Going out for a nighttime walk with your furry friend usually means getting dressed for the weather, getting poop bags, and packing treats. But before you step outside your front door, do you ever think about their safety? Even a quiet neighborhood can become a danger to your pup if it can’t be seen by drivers.
In this buying guide, we share the most innovative tools for increasing your dog’s visibility for those late-night walks and have come up with the 10 best light-up collars for dogs.
What are Light Up Collars?
When dogs and their owners are out for a trip around the block at night time, having some kind of safety light can give you peace of mind, even if there are drivers around. Light-up collars serve as a two-in-one solution that keeps your dog close to you while enhancing your dog’s safety by providing high visibility in low-light conditions. These practical tools will usually come with LED lights and can also be waterproof, so you can use them over your pup’s existing collar or can be used on their own.
Many of the latest L.E.D. collars will come with a rechargeable battery, so you don’t need to buy new batteries every time they run out of juice. Depending on the kind of style you’re looking for, some LED collars can be cut with scissors to provide a custom fit. When choosing your light-up collar, be sure to choose one that’s built with durability and can withstand the test of time since you’ll be using it daily.
The best LED dog collars can keep your dog from getting lost and prevent accidents, which is why we’ve curated a few options for you to choose from below.
Best Light-Up Collars for Dogs
Below are some of the best dog trainers and different types of bark collars that work as dog bark deterrents for your canine companion that pet owners swear by.
- A nylon LED collar that emits a bright light as far as 350 yards
- With three modes to choose from; blink, strobe, and on
- Has an adjustable strap to provide the perfect fit on your dog’s neck
- A single charge can give a run time of more than 8 hours
With the Blazin’ Safety LED USB Rechargeable Nylon Dog Collar, dog owners can help their pups safely cross busy roads and go on their favorite hikes and walks at night. Offering visibility even 350 yards away, it is the top pick for dogs that love to go on an adventure any time of the day. With 360 degrees of illumination and a rechargeable battery, it’s a long-life tool that takes away the hassle of having to buy batteries whenever it runs out of charge and has a power box that works in all weather conditions.
- Comes in 4 different colors; blue, red, white, and green
- With a long run time of up to 10 hours
- Equipped with a stainless-steel clip that can be easily attached to collars
- Its weather-resistant body means you won’t have to worry about rain or snow
When your dog wants to keep walking even after the sun sets, the Nite Ize SpotLit XL Rechargeable Dog Collar Light will help you through it. This collar light can be easily attached to any harness or collar to help see your canine pal better in the dark, while it can be charged conveniently with any kind of micro-USB cable. Once worn by your pup, you can choose from the Disc-O mode for changing colors or you can set a color to track up to 4 pets.
- Its illuminating and reflective strip provides maximum visibility
- Has a battery that can be changed to provide 5 hours of use
- Light modes include a slow flash, rapid flashing, and steady light
- Comes with a sturdy and durable design for long-term use
Pet parents will be thrilled to go on late-night walks with their best friend using the Illumiseen LED USB Rechargeable Dog Collar, which ensures that their pooch is seen from every angle. With a rechargeable battery that will provide 5 hours of light after charging for an hour as well as various lighting modes, your dog can walk about at night with complete safety. It is made from high-quality materials that make it a great option for pet parents and their dogs that love to go on daily walks after sunset.
- Can be used over your dog’s existing collar
- With a long-lasting battery run time of up to 60 hours
- Built to be weather resistant, which means you can use them on rainy days
- Works with replaceable batteries which are included
A durable and strong safety collar, the Nite Ize NiteHowl LED Safety Dog Collar can help you keep track of your dog at night wherever you go. Illuminated by two ultra-bright LEDs, you can simply put this tool over your dog’s collar for 60 hours of safe and fun nighttime adventures. To use, just cut off the tube to the right size and press the button inside its weather-resistant case — you’ll be able to enjoy a collar that delivers flashing lights or a steady glow.
- This stylish collar delivers a powerful light for your dog’s safety
- Includes an ID tag and QR code to help others identify your dog
- Made with wear-resistant nylon that will last long
- Comes with a buckle fastener and safety lock for extra protection
This reflective nylon dog collar by WAUDOG serves as well as a way to identify your dog and get your contact info should it become lost. With reflective threading and glow-in-the-dark nylon, this glow collar comes with a free app that you can use to quickly get your dog back in times of separation. You can also count on the safety lock to add another dimension of protection and durability while keeping your pup visible at all times.
- Features two LED lighting strips with strong light
- Made from durable hardware and premium nylon
- Comes in bright colors and multiple sizes
- Batteries last up to 6 hours with a USB cable included
If you’re taking your pup out for an early morning walk, don’t forget your Mighty Paw LED Dog Collar, which comes with 2 light strips for extra visibility. Perfect for environments with little light source, you can press its button to switch between its slow flash, quick flash, and steady mode. Powered by a long-lasting battery that holds 6 hours of power per charge, it’s also made from premium nylon and durable materials that make it a weather-resistant and heavy-duty option.
- Made from sturdy nylon material that has an adjustable buckle
- With a heavy-duty D-ring that you can attach to a dog leash
- Uses high-quality integrated optical fiber that ensures visibility up to 500 meters
- Has three different modes of lighting to choose from
The Vizpet LED Dog Collar is made from durable nylon and TPU material for padding, which ensures your pet’s comfort every time you decide to go on a nighttime walk together. Through a USB cable, it can be charged so you don’t need to do frequent battery changes, and is compatible with power banks, computers, and even car chargers. It has a battery life that varies between 3 hours to 12 hours depending on your use, and this company also provides a 60-day guarantee to give pet owners peace of mind.
- Offers three modes of light; fast flash, constant, and steady flash
- Promises to deliver a light-up dog collar that’s 50% brighter compared to others
- Can be used for 10 hours on a full charge from any charging port
- Lightweight, strong, and durable while working in all weather conditions
If you’re looking for something that offers better quality compared to a standard collar with LED lights, then look for the MASBRILL Light Up Dog Collar. This great LED collar will keep your four-legged friend safe in the dark as well as highly visible to joggers, walkers, drivers, motorists, and other possible dangers. Built using rust-proof and waterproof materials, along with its polyester webbing and optical fibers, this option offers the best LED collar available in the market for those looking for an affordable choice.
- Provides 12 hours of illumination after 2 hours of charging
- Features a breathable and lightweight design
- Boasts one of the brightest collar lights to keep your dog safe
- Saves on energy and batteries by providing you with a rechargeable option
If you’re looking for a glow-in-the-dark dog collar then it’s a good idea to look for the Flashseen LED Dog Collar since it provides the best glow in the market. Even small dogs can feel safe during their walks at night — it’s also lightweight and comes with a D-ring which can be used on your dog’s leash. With three modes to choose from, you can get a full charge to use for 12 hours after just charging it for 2 hours, making it one of the best light-up dog collars available today.
- With a visibility of up to 500 meters, it could be your best bet for late-night walks
- Has a soft and thin light-emitting diode tube that offers full customization
- Lasts up to 12 hours on a full charge depending on usage
- Comes with a micro USB cable that’s compatible with laptops, cellphone chargers, and more
Providing visibility for your dog over 500 meters away, the KOSKILL Light Up Dog Collar features a strong D-ring that can be attached to a dog leash for nighttime walks. Made with quality nylon webbing, it offers resistance to rain while being comfortable, durable, and lightweight. Featuring a 140 mAh battery, it can carry a charge for up to 12 hours on a full charge, keeping your dog safe from cyclists, cars, runners, and other dog walkers.
Buying Guide for the Best Light-Up Collar
Whether you’re looking for the right glow collar, reflective vests, or reflective collars, the best way to decide is by considering a few factors depending on your needs and preferences, which are listed below.
If you own dogs of different sizes, choosing the right size for your pup’s collar is important — look for adjustable sizes that can be used for all of your pets. Ensure that you get reflective dog collars that aren’t too loose or too tight and that you measure the top of your dog’s neck starting behind their ears. Depending on the dog’s size, it’s best to add 1 to 3 inches to your measurement.
When you purchase your dog’s LED collar, make sure that it’s made with the best quality materials and that it’s suitable for different settings and environments. Doing this will ensure that your dog collar can withstand cold and hot temperatures without losing its structural integrity and keep your dog protected at all times.
Look for options that offer a rechargeable battery that can completely power the LED collar — some options even come with their own cables to help with this process. It’s also important to consider how much the battery can power the device it’s attached to.
Always look for an LED product that’s safe to use and produces highly visible and bright lights for the best visibility. If it’s strong enough to produce results similar to street lights, then you’ve found a good choice.
You may also want to consider your dog’s sense of style — because there are plenty of fashionable LED collars available today, be sure to choose one that suits your dog’s personality.
Before committing to a product, be sure to read customer feedback and reviews first. This will give you a sense of what other pet lovers think about the specific product and whether it will deliver on its promises.
If you live in areas with rainstorms and high humidity, you might want to opt for a waterproof option to keep your LED collars dry during light rain or heavy storms. You may also want to look for an option that provides various lighting modes, which can help to further bring attention to your dog so that everyone around it will be aware of its presence.
Choose the Right LED Collar for Your Dog
Picking out the correct LED collar for your dog will go a long way towards keeping it safe whether you leave your home at night. Be sure to choose an option that will protect it from all possible threats, including wild animals. High-quality options that provide plenty of functions, are made from durable materials, and feature superior visibility will give you the best value.
Whether you have medium-sized dogs or something bigger, you’ll be thankful that you bought the best LED collar for your night time loving furbaby.