Compared to their human counterparts, dogs have much more delicate skin. A dog’s skin isn’t as thick as human skin, which makes it much more sensitive to things that wouldn’t normally bother people. Plus, dogs’ curious nature tends to get them into situations where they are exposed to pests, like fleas, ticks, and parasites that can cause serious issues, such as mange. And, some breeds are highly prone to allergies.
There are several different medicated dog shampoos on the market, which can make it difficult to decide which one to use. To help you pick the best option for your four-legged friend, here’s a look at our five picks for the best medicated dog shampoo currently on the market.
Best Medicated Dog Shampoos
1. Decrha Miconahex + Triz Pet Shampoo
If your dog is suffering from a fungal or bacterial infection, Decrha Miconahex + Triz Pet Shampoo is an excellent option. It’s specially formulated with 2 percent Miconazole, a synthetic medication that is designed to both prevent and treat fungal infections of the skin, and 2 percent Chlorhexidine Gluconate, also a synthetic medication that aims to treat bacterial infections of the skin.
This shampoo also contains TrizEDTA, an ingredient that offers both antimicrobial and antibiotic qualities; it actually disrupts the cell walls of any bacterium that could be causing your dog’s skin condition, making it more porous, thereby allowing the Miconazole and Chlorhexidne Gluconate to work even more effectively. Lastly, Dechra MiconaHex + Triz Shampoo is also comprised of ceramides, which help to moisturize, repair, and restore damaged skin.
Why you should buy
Using this medicated dog shampoo is so easy. Wet your pup’s coat, shake the shampoo, and apply a liberal amount. Work the shampoo into a foamy lather, making sure to really work it into his skin. Let it sit on his skin between 5 and 10 minutes, and then rinse out thoroughly. That’s it! And the best part is that it continues to work long after it has been rinsed off and can be used up to four times a week! Now, that’s a powerful shampoo, and exactly why we it as one of our top medicated pet shampoos!
2. SynergyLabs Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic and Antiseborrheic Medicated Shampoo for Dogs
Who says you have to spend a lot of money to get a high-quality medicated dog shampoo that really works? With SynergyLabs Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic and Antiseborrheic Medicated Shampoo for Dogs, you don’t!
The fact that it’s budget-friendly isn’t the only reason why we like it; that’s just an added bonus. The reason why we consider it a best medicated dog shampoo is because of how effective it is. This shampoo is specially formulated with the highest quality ingredients that are proven to be effective for treating a variety of conditions that affect a dogs’ skin, including seborrhea, as well as bacterial and fungal infections, and even parasitic infections, like mange.
This medicated dog shampoo from synergy labs is comprised of coal tar, micronized sulfur, and salicylic acid to soothe scaling, inflammation, redness, itching, flaking, and so much more! It works fast, too! In fact, users have stated that they could tell that their dogs felt relief almost immediately after using this shampoo, and that they noticed a major difference in the appearance of their skin after just one washing!
Why you should buy
Being effective and affordable aren’t the only reasons why we love this medicated shampoo for dogs; what also makes it so appealing is that it’s a “soap-less” shampoo, which means that you don’t have to worry about a flea treatment for dogs, or any other topical treatment or medication that you may have applied to your pup being washed off! And what’s more, this shampoo is pH balanced for your pup’s sensitive skin and is safe to use on puppies that are as young as 12 weeks old!
3. Curaseb Antifungal and Antibacterial Chlorhexidine Shampoo for Dogs
If your furry companion is suffering from phydorema, ringworm, or a yeast, fungal, or bacterial infection, Curaseb Antifungal and Antibacterial Chlorhexidine Shampoo could be the solution that you are looking for.
This vet-recommended medicated dog shampoo contains premium ingredients that are specifically designed to treat various types of bacterium and fungi, including Chlorhexidine and Ketoconazole. This shampoo is also comprised of ingredients that repair the skin, so not only does it combat various types of infections, but it actually helps to rebuild damaged skin.
In fact, many users have reported that saw immediate results after using this product. Using it is so easy, too; just wet your pup’s coat, work the shampoo into a rich lather, allow it to sit for several minutes, and rinse clean. You’ll also love the deodorizing effect that Curaseb offers; not only will it ease your dog’s skin problems, but it will also leave him smelling like refreshing cucumber melon!
Why you should buy
The makers of Curaseb Antifungal and Antibacterial Chlorhexidine Shampoo for Dogs are dedicated to providing the best possible care for your pup. This shampoo is made in the USA in a facility that’s federally regulated and inspected, so you’ll have peace of mind knowing that you are using a product that meets strict regulations. To further ensure that you can trust using this medicated dog shampoo on your furry loved one, it’s backed by a satisfaction guarantee; if, for any reason, you are not satisfied, you’ll receive a full refund. Now that’s a true testament to quality!View on Amazon
4. Arava Natural Medicated Dog Shampoo
If you would rather not use synthetic ingredients on your dog but still want to use a shampoo that’s powerful enough to treat even the most severe skin irritations, than Arava natural Medicated Dog Shampoo is definitely for you. In lieu of man-made ingredients, this medicated dog shampoo is derived of all natural ingredients that have been proven to be effective for treating a variety of skin problems.
Arava shampoo contains minerals from the Dead Sea. These minerals have powerful healing abilities and can combat several types of skin afflictions, including bacterial and fungal infections, hot spots, and inflammation. In total, 28 natural ingredients in this shampoo, including active botanicals, like pomegranate, reishi, kelp, aloe vera, rosemary, chamomile, and fennel. These ingredients offer antimicrobial and antifungal properties that can combat infections and dandruff, making this a truly remarkable medicated shampoo for dogs itchy skin, a dermatitis shampoo for dogs, a medicated shampoo for dogs with skin allergies, and even an effective dog shampoo for mange!
Why you should buy
In addition to treating your pup’s skin, this shampoo will also leave his coat silky and smooth. And, the botanical essential oils will wash away any odors and leave your furry family member smelling delightful. What’s more: since this shampoo is completely chemical free, it’s non-toxic, so you don’t have to worry about harming your pup; if he laps up any bath water or some suds get into his eyes, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that your hair best bud won’t be harmed!
5. Sogeval Duoxo Chlorhexidine PS Shampoo with Climbazole
Rounding out our list of the top five best medicated shampoos for dogs is Sogeval Douxo Chlorhedidine PS Shampoo with Climbazole. This shampoo contains powerful synthetic ingredients, including Chlorhexidine, which is renowned for its antiseptic properties, and Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl, a pro-ceramide that can treat various skin conditions that affect dogs, such as seborrhea and pydorema.
Whether your dog is suffering from a bacterial or fungal infection, has mange, or has seborrheic dermatitis, Soveval Duoxo Chlorhexidine PS Shampoo with Climbazole will offer fantastic results. In fact, users have said that this shampoo offers better results than some prescription medications for dogs! It’s highly effective for all types of breeds, too; including small dogs, Yorkshire Terriers and Chihuahuas, mid-sized dogs, like Cocker Spaniels and Shih Tzus, and large breeds, including Great Danes, Doberman Pinschers, and Siberian Huskies.
Why you should buy
What really sets this medicated shampoo for dogs apart from the rest is that it is a foam formula, so it’s easy to apply and rinse off. Plus, it leaves a lipo-protein film on the skin that won’t rinse off and will continue to protect your pup’s skin from irritations and moisture loss long after you bathe him. To use, just wet your dog’s coat, apply the shampoo and work it into a rich lather, making sure that you really work it into his skin. Allow the shampoo to sit on your pooch’s skin for 5 to 10 minutes, rinse off, and you should start seeing results almost immediately!
Buyer’s Guide to the Best Medicated Shampoos for Dogs
As a pup parent, you want the absolute best for your canine companion. You’ve invested in all of the best pet products for your best friend. He has a dog house that has all the bells and whistles, the most luxurious dog bed, the highest quality dog crate, a spacious outdoor dog kennel, and even a dog playpen. You serve him premium quality dog food that’s formulate specifically for his breed, take him on fun adventures in the car (making sure that he’s properly protected in his dog seat belt, and even make sure that he has access to a variety of entertaining toys, like interactive dog toys, puzzle toys for dogs, and automatic fetch machines. Heck, you love your furry guy so much that during the holiday season, Christmas presents for dogs are your top priority.
But, try as you might, you can’t protect your dog from everything; like skin conditions. Whether he suffers from allergies, he’s contracted an infection from a best or something else in his environment, or he simply has sensitive skin, there’s nothing more heartbreaking than discovering that your beloved pup is suffering from flaky, itchy, dry skin, is losing hair, or has hot spots. Or worse, that he’s contracted mange or some other parasitic infection. It’s your worst nightmare come true!
While learning that your pooch has a skin condition is certainly horrifying, you can take comfort in knowing that you can provide him with fast and effective relief – and you can do it without having to spend a fortune. How? – By bathing him with the best medicated shampoos for dogs!
What are Medicated Dog Shampoos?
As the name suggests, medicated dog shampoo is a specially formulated to combat afflictions of the skin that dogs are prone to. These conditions can include contact or food allergies, bacterial and viral infections, hot spots, and mange, among other things.
The side effects of a skin condition vary, depending on the type of ailment your dog is suffering from; however, the effects can include inflammation, dry patches, scaling, irritation, crusting, oozing, and hair loss. In mild cases, the effects are minimal and really nothing more than a nuisance, but in severe cases, skin conditions can be debilitating.
Skin conditions can be treated in a variety of ways, and the treatment depends on the specific condition; however, veterinarians agree that the most effective way to treat skin problems is by bathing your four-legged friend with a medicated shampoo for dogs.
What makes medicated shampoos different from other types of dog shampoo? The primary difference is the ingredients that these special shampoos contain. While there are several different types of ingredients that can be used in medicated dog shampoos, the objective is to treat skin issues. Some shampoos are specially formulated to treat bacterial and fungal infections, and they will contain ingredients that posses antibacterial and antifungal properties. Other shampoos are intended to treat common skin sensitivities that many dogs experience, such as seborrheic dermatitis.
In other words, medicated pet shampoo is specifically made to treat your dog’s skin.
The Benefits of the Medicated Dog Shampoos
Using the best medicated dog shampoo offers several advantages, including the following:
- It addresses a particular issue. Traditional dog shampoos are meant for general grooming; for example, when your dog has rolled in a mud puddle or just needs to be freshened up; however, medicated dog shampoos provide a specific purpose: they treat skin conditions. For example, if your dog is suffering from dermatitis, using a dog dermatitis shampoo can help to alleviate the scaling, flaking an itching that he’s experiencing. If your pup has allergies, a medicated dog shampoo for allergies can offer him relief. Or, if your furry pal has contracted mange, a mange shampoo can help to treat the condition, as well as soothe and heal his skin.
- It offers fast relief. There is absolutely nothing worse than seeing your dog suffering and not being able to relieve his discomfort. Well, when you bathe your pup with a medicated dog shampoo, you can provide him with fast relief. The best medicated dog shampoos offer immediate relief. Since they’re topical, the itching, irritation, and discomfort that your dog is experiencing can be soothed almost as soon as you start working the shampoo into his skin. While oral medications can be effective, it takes time for them to work, as they have to be digested and absorbed through the bloodstream in order to reach the affected site. With a medicated shampoo, however, you dog’s symptoms can be treated almost on contact. In other words, if you want to provide your dog with the fastest relief possible, bathing him with a medicated dog shampoo is definitely the way to go.
- It’s safer than other options. Skin conditions can be treated with medications that are administered orally and there are even injectable options available. While these treatments can be effective, they do pose certain hazards. The active ingredients don’t target just the affected site; they can also affect other parts of the body. As such, they may not be safe for, say, your dog’s organs. Medicated shampoos are much safer than other treatment options because they are only applied to the skin. While you should avoid contact with the eyes and mouth, it’s very rare for medicated shampoos to cause adverse effects, as they only make contact with the outer surface of the skin, if administered properly. Do make sure that you exercise caution while bathing your dog with a medicated shampoo to avoid possible ingestion or eye contact.
- It’s easier to use. And lastly, whether you’re using a medicated dog shampoo for allergies, a mange shampoo, or a dermatitis shampoo for dogs, the major benefit is the ease of use. It’s so much easier to just give your dog a bath than it is to give him a pill (many dogs are quite smart and will refuse to take a pill, despite your efforts to conceal it in a dog treat). It’s also much less painful for your dog – and for you – to simply give him a bath than it is to inject a needle into his skin.
Types of Medicated Dog Shampoos
There are several types of medicated dog shampoos. It’s important to understand the different types of shampoos that are available so that you can ensure you are using the right option for your pup’s specific needs. Some of the most commonly used types of medicated shampoos include:
- Antibacterial shampoos. These shampoos are specially formulated to treat skin infections that occur as a result of bacteria. They can contain a variety of ingredients, such as benzoyl peroxide, chlorhexidine, and ethyl lactate, which are specifically made to kill off the bacterium that is causing the infection and heal the skin.
- Antiseborrheic shampoos. Seborrheic dermatitis is one of the most common skin conditions that dogs experience. Some dogs, such as German Shepherds and Golden Retrievers, are more prone to this condition, but it can affect any breed. Seborrheic dermatitis is essentially an extreme case of dandruff. It’s marked by excessive dryness, redness, irritation, and scaly patches that cover the skin. Medicated antiseborrheic dog shampoos are formulate to combat this condition. They often contain sulfur, tar, Salicylic acid, and benzoyl peroxide. These ingredients are meant to either kill off the fungus that is believed to cause this condition, or soothe the irritation.
- Antifungal shampoos. In addition to bacterial infections of the skin, dogs can also develop fungal infections. Medicated antifungal shampoos contain ingredients that are meant to kill the fungus that is causing the infection, such as imidazole, and are also made of elements that soothe the skin.
Things to Consider When Using a Medicated Dog Shampoo
Your pet’s health and safety is your top priority; therefore, you want to make sure you are using a medicated dog shampoo that will effectively treat your dog’s condition and won’t cause any adverse effects. In order to do just that, it’s important to consider the following before using a medicated shampoo:
- Since there are different types of medicated dog shampoos, you want to make sure that you choose one that is formulated to treat your pet’s skin condition. For example, if your dog is very itchy, has red patches, and is covered with flakes, it’s likely that he has sebborhea, and should therefore use an antiseborrheic shampoo. However, if he has oozing sores, pus-filled blisters, and is losing hair, chances are that he has a bacterial infection and it should be treated with an antibacterial shampoo.
- The age of your dog matters, too. If he’s a puppy, you want to make sure that you choose a medicated shampoo that is safe to use on young dogs, as some are too harsh for a puppy’s still developing skin and immune system.
If you aren’t sure what type of medicated shampoo you should use on your dog, speak to your veterinarian.
Medicated Dog Shampoo Review Conclusion
You want nothing but the best for your pet. If he’s suffering from a skin condition, using one of the best medicated dog shampoos featured in this review can provide rapid relief. Always make sure that you use a high-quality shampoo and check with your vet to ensure you are using a product that is meant to treat your dog’s condition.