In our guide, we’ll show you the best portable dog crates available, and what makes each one great. In the end, our buyer’s guide will help you narrow down your options and make a choice that is perfect for you and your dog’s needs.
Best Portable Dog Crates
Here are our portable dog crate reviews.
The MidWest Homes for Pets Dog Crate is a foldable metal wire dog crate. It is designed with rounded corners for your pet’s safety and to prevent damage to surrounding furniture or vehicle interiors. It comes with both a divider to size the crate, and a floor pan to contain any messes.
- Sets up and folds down in just a few seconds with no tools required
- Built-in handle makes carrying the folded crate simple
- Secure closure with slide bolt latches
The Petnation Port-A-Crate is a soft crate that lets you take your dog with you anywhere. It is constructed from a tightly weaved mesh fabric over an extra-strong steel frame. It can be folded down and set back up in seconds without tools
- Six sizes available, providing a cozy den for dogs up to 70 pounds
- Super lightweight design makes it easily portable
- Honeycomb mesh windows for superb ventilation
The Petmate Two Door is a great portable crate option for smaller dogs. The two-door style makes loading and unloading easy. It has steel doors and squeezes latches to keep your dog secure.
- 360-degree vents for visibility and ventilation
- Meets all highway travel requirements
- Ergonomic comfort grip handle for easy carrying
The 3-Door Folding Soft Dog Crate from EliteField is a great option for a foldable soft crate. It is made with a durable 600D fabric over a strong steel tube frame. Easily cleaned, the cover can be removed and washed.
- Available in five sizes from 20” long up to 42” long
- Several carrying options with an attached handle, hand carrying straps, and padded shoulder strap
- Includes a free fleece bed and carrying bag for the folded crate
The Noz2Noz Soft-Krater is a durable and lightweight portable crate option. It can be set up and folded down in seconds with no tools needed. It has several mesh panels for optimal visibility and ventilation.
- Five sizes from 21 inch to 42 inch available, fitting dogs up to 100 pounds
- Rounded corners keep your dog safe and protect against damage
- The steel frame is powder-coated to prevent corrosion
The Two-Door Top-Load Pet Kennel from AmazonBasics is a great portable crate option for smaller dogs. It comes in a 19 inch and 23 inch version. The two-door style makes loading and unloading super easy.
- The top door can open to either side for convenience
- Includes additional screws to reinforce the attachment of the top and bottom
- Durable plastic construction with sturdy steel front door
The Petmate Sky Kennel is a heavy-duty portable crate for dogs of all sizes. It features a durable heavy plastic shell held together with non-corrodible wing nuts. The metal door is vaulted and adds further protection.
- Includes “live animal” stickers, pet ID stickers, and clip-on food and water bowls
- 360-degree ventilation and visibility
- Six sizes available from 21 inch up to 48 inch
The Aspen Pet Porter is a heavy-duty portable crate that can accommodate dogs up to 125 pounds. It assembles easily with the included metal nuts and bolts. The plastic shell is easily wiped clean of any messes.
- Meets most airline cargo specifications for easy flying
- Nine sizes available, based on dog weight
- One-handed door operation with secure squeeze latch
The Foldable Dog Crate from 2PET is a great portable soft dog crate. It has a lightweight and durable steel tube frame that can be folded and unfolded in seconds. The frame is covered with a durable and soft 600D oxford fabric.
- The fully removable water-resistant cover is machine washable for easy cleaning
- The convenient carrying handle can also be used with a seatbelt to secure the crate in the car
- Available in four sizes and three colors
The Suncast Portable Dog Crate is an ideal portable crate for dogs 30 pounds or less. It is made with a strong resin shell and metal wire panels on the sides. The built-in carrying handle makes moving or transporting the crate easy.
- Includes a bowl for use with either food or water
- Stylish design measures 23”x15”x12”
- Open wire sides provide great visibility and ventilation
Portable Dog Crate Buyer’s Guide
There are a few things to consider when choosing a portable crate. You will want to determine if you want a soft or rigid crate, whether you’ll need something that is airline-ready, and how you will be using it over the long term.
Soft or Rigid?
A major factor to consider when choosing a portable crate is whether you should get a rigid crate or a soft-side crate. If you are going to need to collapse the crate for transport or storage, then with the exception of a foldable wire crate, a soft crate is the best option. Both a foldable metal crate and a soft crate can be collapsed in just moments, without using any tools, making them extremely versatile. Soft crates also generally are able to have the cover removed and washed in the washing machine for easy cleaning.
Rigid crates will need to be emptied, and then wiped or washed out. Foldable wire crates will have a floor pan that can be slid out and washed. Rigid crates have the benefit of being largely adaptable to air travel. Soft crates do not meet the requirements that airlines set for pet travel. For storage, rigid crates will need to have the nuts and bolts that hold the top to the bottom removed, and one half set inside the other, reducing the space needed by roughly half.
When choosing a crate, you may want to consider how portable you need it to actually be. Nearly all of the dog crates we’ve highlighted have carrying handles, however, some will be much easier to carry for long periods or through difficult terrain. Soft crates will nearly always be lighter in weight, but rigid crates will make up for that weight difference in durability. If you plan to carry the crate frequently or over distances, some of the soft crates also include carrying bags, which will make that task far easier. If your aim is safety during vehicular travel or containment during road trips near or far, then a rigid plastic crate will likely be much more suited to keeping your dog safe during those trips or in the event of an accident.
Portable Dog Crate Review Conclusion
We hope that our guide has taken some of the confusion out of choosing a portable crate for your dog. As long as you take a moment to think about what you will need it for, and what type will suit your needs best, you’ll be able to make a well-informed and confident choice that you and your dog will love.