If you’re looking to improve the overall health and well being of your furry family member, you might want to consider adding probiotics to his diet. These supplements contain tons of healthy bacteria for the gut, and when consumed on a regular basis, they can do wonders for your dog’s health. You don’t want to give your dog just any supplement, though; you want to choose the best probiotics for dogs possible.
Best Probiotics for Dogs
|Image||Probiotics for Dogs||Rating|
|1. Purina Fortiflora Canine Nutritional Supplement Box||99%|
|2. Proviable DC for Cats and Dogs||96%|
|3. Thomas Labs Total Digest||93%|
|4. Pet Ultimates Probiotics for Dogs||89%|
|5. PetVitalityPro Probiotics for Dogs with Natural Digestive Enzymes||85%|
|6. VetriScience Laboratories Probiotics for Dogs||82%|
Purina Fortiflora Canine Nutritional Supplement Box is designed to help support your dog’s digestive tract and maintain a healthy immune system. This dog probiotic is comprised of active live cultures, which help to regulate a healthy balance of gut flora. This product is also fortified with other vital nutrients, including vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, and antioxidants.
Purina’s Floriflora probiotic for dogs is powered, which makes it easy to give this healthful supplement to your pooch. Just open up a package and sprinkle it right onto his dog food. The taste is supposed to be mild, so it should be easily disguised, especially if you are feeding your pup a high-quality food, like Purina dog food or Blue Buffalo dog food.
This product is available in three different options: 30, 90, and 180 pouches, and each pouch contains 30 grams of premium probiotics.
Purina’s Fortiflora Canine Nutritional Supplement is made in the USA and adheres to strict regulations. It’s also highly recommended by veterinarians; including the vets on the panel that we assembled.
What We Like About It
- In addition to probiotics, this product also contains essential vitamins and beneficial antioxidants
- Designed to improve gut health and support the immune system
- Easy to use and digest powdered formula
- Available in three different sized packages (30, 60, or 90 pouches)
- Made in America
Things to Complain About
- It may not be effective with all dogs
- Some users have complained about the cost, saying that it is more expensive than other similar products
Conclusion: If you are looking to improve the health and well being of your pup with a high-quality dog probiotic that’s made by one of the most reputable manufacturers of dog food, Purina’s Fortiflora is an excellent option to consider.
This dog probiotic is comprised of several different species and billions of beneficial naturally occurring microorganisms and active live cultures. In total, there are seven probiotics in this formula, which include enterococcus faecium, bifidobacerium bifidum, and enterococcus thermophiles. The makers of Proviable DC for Cats and Dogs also added two prebiotics into their formula to ensure that the probiotics are able to survive as they make their way through the digestive acids in your dog’s stomach. In other words, when you give your pup this supplement, you can be sure that he will be receiving the powerful nutritional benefits that it offers.
This probiotic for dogs comes is made into capsules. You can give a capsule directly to your dog, or if he’s picky about his food, you can wrap one up in a dog treat or open up a capsule and sprinkle the powder into his food to disguise the flavor. However you choose to give this probiotic to your dog, you can expect to see an improvement in his overall digestive health. Users have reported that it is particularly beneficial for pups who are suffering from a case of diarrhea and that it offers fast results.
What We Like About It
- Fast-acting formula
- Contains active live cultures
- Offers a blend of probiotics
- Contains prebiotics
- Easy to administer
Reasons to Complain
- Some users have said that they believe that there has been a change in the formula
- It may not be effective with all breeds
Conclusion: For a high-quality probiotic for dogs, Proviable DC for Cats and Dogs is an excellent option to consider. It naturally improves the intestinal health and offers fast results.
Thomas Labs is a highly reputable manufacturer of various health products that are specifically designed for pets, including dental, eye and ear, joint health supplements, and puppy milk replacers. Their Total Digest Digestive Enzyme and Probiotic Formula for Dogs and Cats contains digestive enzymes that aim to enhance digestion, leading to the efficient absorption of the vital nutrients your furry friend needs to thrive.
Some of the ingredients featured in this probiotic for dogs include cellulose, Bromelain that has been sourced from pinapples, alpha-Galactosidase, Glucoamylase, and Lipase. This formula introduces healthy bacteria into your pup’s gastrointestinal tract, thereby improving his digestion and enhancing the absorption of all vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients. Offered in combination with a premium-quality dog food, such as a dog food for sensitive stomachs or a grain free dog food, this probiotic can help to ease any tummy troubles your four-legged pal has been having. It will also help to strengthen his immune system so that he is better able to fight of infections, improve the health of his skin and coat, increase his energy levels, and even help him maintain a healthy weight. In other words, this probiotic can drastically improve your pet’s overall health and well-being. According to the reviews that we read, most of the pet parents who have used this product are very satisfied with the results.
What We Like About It
- Contains high-quality digestive enzymes
- Improves digestion
- Eases gastrointestinal issues
- Supports healthy weight
- Increases energy levels
- Strengthens the immune system
- Enhances skin and coat health
- Easy to use
Reasons to Complain
- Some users stated that their dogs’ didn’t like the taste
Final Verdict: Overall, we were very impressed with Thomas Labs Total Digest: Digestive Enzyme and Probiotic Formula for Dogs and Cats. It yielded effective results and was very easy to use.
Next up on our list of the top dog probiotics comes from Pet Ultimates. This supplement contains the highest quality live active cultures; 22 different species, to be exact. A single scoop of this probiotic will provide your dog with 2 billion CFUs! Now that’s pretty impressive! This product is all natural; it doesn’t contain any of the “bad stuff” that other probiotics contain, such as sugar, grain maltodextrins, or other additives that are not only difficult to digest, but can also have adverse effects on the health of your pup.
Pet Ultimates Probiotics for Dogs comes is a powder, which makes it easy to dispense. The powder has absolutely no tastes and you can easily mix it into your dog’s food without him ever being the wiser. Whether you have a super picky West Highland White Terrier, a Mastiff, a Cocker Spaniel, or even a pure-bred mutt, you can be sure that your pooch will take this probiotic down without any issues.
This formula is custom made; the 22 species of probiotics that it contains have been hand-selected to ensure ultimate health for your pup. It also contains enzymes that treat gassiness. It’s highly effective; users have reported that they have noticed a marked different in their dogs’ digestive health just a few days after they started giving them this probiotic for dogs.
This product is made in the USA and adheres to strict regulations. It’s also backed by a money-back guarantee. If, for any reason, you are not completely satisfied, simply contact the manufacturer and they will fully refund your money without any questions asked. You don’t even have to send them back the unused portion of the product!
What We Like About It:
- Contains 22 hand-selected probiotics
- Formulate with enzymes that treat gas
- Tasteless powder formula for easy administration
- Made in the USA
- Backed by a satisfaction guarantee
Reasons to Complain
- Some users have reported that it wasn’t effective for their dogs
Conclusion: Other than the few complaints that some users made about it not working for their dogs, which we chalk up to the fact that not all probiotics are going to be effective for all dogs, we think that Pet Ultimates Probiotics for Dogs is a great choice for your dog’s health. And, if you’re not happy with the results, you can return the product for a full refund, which is an added bonus.Check Price on Amazon
If you’re looking for a high quality probiotic for dogs that won’t break the bank, than we strongly recommend PetVitality Probiotics for Dogs with Natural Digestive Enzymes. This product offers everything your pup will need to successfully improve his digestive health and enhance the function of his immune system. The price is extremely affordable as compared to other dog probiotics, but the quality is amazing. In fact, the makers claim that it’s the highest potency probiotics / prebiotics formula for dogs on the market!
This formula contains a blend of the healthiest probiotics and prebiotics to improve his overall health and well being. It offers natural digestive enzymes, essential minerals, antioxidants, bioavailable vitamins, and phytonutrients to support your pup’s immune system so that he can more effectively fight off infections and properly digest the nutrients provided by his high-quality dog food (such as Taste of the Wild Dog Food).
This dog probiotic also helps to ease complications that are associated with allergies and improves the health of the skin and coat. So if you have a breed that is prone to allergies, such as a German Shepherd, a German Short Haired Pointer, or a Golden Retriever, than this probiotic can may be able to provide him with relief.
Users have reported that they are very pleased with the results that this product offers. They noted that they saw a marked improvement in the health of their dogs’ very shortly after they added this probiotic to their diet. And, if you are unsatisfied for any reason, just contact the manufacturer and they will fully refund your money.
What We Like About It
- Improves digestive health and strengthens the immune system
- Can help to ease allergies
- Offers a high potency of probiotics and prebiotics
- Affordable price (more affordable than many of the other probiotics for dogs that are currently on the market)
- Backed by a satisfaction guarantee
Reasons to Complain:
- This product is not made in the USA, so there may be some question about the quality of the ingredients and the manufacturing process
Conclusion: Overall, we feel that PetVitality Pro Probiotics for Dogs with Natural Digestive Enzymes is a high-quality product that offers very effective results. However, if you would like a product that is made in the USA, you might want to consider one of the other options mentioned on our list.Check Price on Amazon
To round out our list of the best dog probiotics is VetriScience Laboratories Probiotics for Dogs. Like the other dog probiotics on our list, this product is designed to support the overall health and well being of your pup, with the primary emphasis being on the health of his digestive system.
The VetriScience Laboratories Probiotics for Dogs is comprised of a total of eight strains of 5 billion micro-organisms in each capsule, which is a very healthy dose. All of the microorganisms are derived from non-dairy sources, so if your pup has a sensitivity to milk, than you don’t have to worry about this product causing any adverse effects.
This formula is administered in capsules. You can choose to give a capsule to your pup before or after a meal, disguise it with a treat, or open up a capsule and sprinkle it into his food. The formula is supposed to be tasteless, so your pup shouldn’t have any options with taking this down. These probiotics are recommended by vets for dogs that suffer from digestive issues, such as diarrhea, flatulence, and constipation, as well as those who are prone to food sensitivities. The good bacteria found in this best probiotic for dogs include lactobacilli, bifodobacteria, streptococcus thermophilus, and fructooligosaccharides, among others.
Overall, users are extremely pleased with VetriScience Laboratories Probiotics for Dogs. Most people claim that they noticed a marked improvement in their pets’ digestive health soon after they started offering this probiotic.
Things We Like:
- Contains 8 strains of micro-organisms
- Each capsule is guaranteed to offer 5 billion micro-organisms
- It’s a dairy free product
- It’s specially formulated to improve the overall health of your dog, with a focus on his digestive tract
- Affordable price
Reasons to Complain
- Some users have reported that they didn’t see any results
The Zesty Paws Probiotic is packed with high quality ingredients to help your pup’s digestion. These chews help in a wide variety of health areas from digestion to allergies. These are good for any age of dog, but can’t be used for cats.
- Comes in either pumpkin or chicken flavor
- Treats are soft and easy to chew for senior dogs
- Has a strong aroma to entice pup to eat
The PetHonesty Probiotics for Dogs comes with 90 chewables for your pooch’s health. These chews relieve diarrhea and constipation while improving digestion. If your dog has allergy problems these probiotics are an excellent solution.
- Artificially flavored with duck for your pup
- The chews are made from premium, all natural ingredients
- Appearance is similar to treats to make your pup eat them
The Tummy Treats – Probiotics for Dogs help support your dog’s health through a variety of different ailments. The all natural ingredients used protect your pup without the negative side effects from chemicals. The case comes with a one hundred and twenty count of soft chewable treats.
- The treats have a taste of chicken with no additives
- Improves digestive health as well as fights various diseases
- Tasty smell entices dogs to eat without hassle
The Nutri-Vet Pre and Probiotic is made from the highest quality ingredients for your dog’s health. The morsels are soft and chewable for your elderly pup’s convenience. Coming in a one hundred and twenty count, you should have a long supply with each purchase.
- Comes with option of up to four pack
- Good for any dog breed and any age
- Has liver and cheese taste to make medicine time easier
The Probiotics For Dogs has a specially designed formula to best benefit your dog’s health. Only the best ingredients are used to ensure the greatest quality possible for your pooch. These treats boost your dog’s health and immune system against many common problems.
- Great for dogs of all ages and breeds
- Treats taste like chicken with no added preservatives
- Ingredients promote a healthy balance of bacteria
The Probiotics for Dogs by Deley Naturals aleves a wide range of unpleasant ailments in your pup. The recipe is grain free and made from all high quality ingredients for your dog’s best health choice. Each container comes with one hundred and twenty treats, a long supply per purchase.
- relieves irritable bowels, gas, bloating,constipation, diarrhea, anal gland issues, skin and coat problems and bad dog breath
- Chicken flavored for your dog’s enjoyment
- Each piece is soft and chewable for your elderly dogs
The NUSENTIA Probiotic’s recipe is made with the intent of helping your dog’s health. Whether you have a puppy or a senior, the high quality ingredients used will give your pup a boost. The soft and chewable texture allows elderly dogs ease while eating.
- This probiotic is made for either cats or dogs
- Contains no by products or additives that are unhealthy
- Each container has three hundred and sixty servings
The Probiotics for Dogs by Furrolandia contain thirty billion colony forming units of healthy bacteria. The unique recipe works to better your pup’s health and fight common ailments. The treats are beneficial for gut, immune and digestive health.
- Safe for all dog breeds and sizes
- Chews are easy to swallow and soft for elderly
- Comes in large stock each container, one hundred and ninety chews
The Petaxin Probiotics is specifically designed for dog’s health and boosting their digestive system. This probiotic is not to be used on any other pet than dogs! The natural ingredients in them relieve diarrhea, gas, and constipation while bolstering the immune system and healthy energy levels.
- Chicken flavored with no unhealthy additives
- Comes with one hundred and twenty chews per container
- The recipe leaves your pup with fresh smelling breath
The Vetrinex Labs Probiotics is made from the highest quality of ingredients and made into a fine powder to be used on your pets. Just sprinkle onto their regular food and watch as their health problems abate. Within two weeks your pet will be feeling like a new dog.
- All ingredients are natural to ensure your pup’s health
- Probiotic is good for either cats or dogs of any sizes
- Strengthens digestive and immune systems
The NaturVet – Advanced Probiotics is packed with enzymes to best boost your pet’s health. If your pet has a sensitive stomach or digestive issues this is the probiotic for you. This product can only be used in pets over six weeks old, for best results.
- Soft and chewable morsels for elderly pups
- Comes with a pack of one hundred and twenty
- Made from all high quality ingredients
The Doggie Dailies Probiotics offers boosts to digestive and immune systems while also keeping coat and fur healthy. This product is only for dogs and should not be used on any other pet. They come in either a duck or pumpkin flavor, in case your pooch doesn’t like one or the other.
- Comes with a two hundred and twenty five count per container
- Treats are soft and easy to eat for senior pups or those with digestive issues
- Alleviates dog diarrhea, gas, cramping, and bloating
The Probiotics by fur belly is designed to be a mixture of probiotics, prebiotics and enzymes that help with digestion, immunity boosts and general health. With one hundred and twenty chewables per serving, each container offers many months of protection. The recipe is designed to help relieve diarrhea, gas, constipation, bloating, vomiting and bad breath.
- Made from all natural ingredients and no preservatives
- Packed with vitamins, minerals and nutrients for dog’s health
- Contains no corn, sugar, wheat, artificial flavors, colors or GMOs
The Ready Pet Go! Dog Probiotics is made from digestive enzymes, prebiotics and probiotics to best boost your pet’s health. With a cheese flavoring, your dog will eat this no matter how picky the eater. Each container contains ninety chewable tablets for your pup.
- Supports gut health and boosts nutrient absorption
- Feature 500 million CFU Bacillus Coagulans
- Good for all breeds and ages of dogs
The Probiotics from Gracie to the Rescue includes one hundred twenty morsels that are packed with probiotics to best help your dog’s health. Each morsel contains Prebiotics, Probiotics, and Digestive Enzymes to help restore healthy gut flora. The chicken flavoring is made with no artificial flavors for your dog’s enjoyment.
- All ingredients are natural with no additives .
- Texture is soft and easy to digest for elderly dogs
- Prevents urinary tract and dog yeast infections, allergies, constipation, gas, bad breath, and hot spots.
The Pet Naturals of Vermont Probiotics is made to be a daily supplement for any breed of dog. Each container comes with one hundred and sixty bite sized morsels for your dog. This probiotic promotes a healthy coat, digestive strength and general immune system support.
- Recommended for dogs with sensitive stomachs
- Made with no corn, wheat or artificial ingredients
- Texture is soft and easy to digest for elderly dogs
The Makondo Pets Probiotics is designed to support digestive and immune system growth in dogs of any ages. There are ninety servings per container, the fine powder is easy to mix with your dog’s food. Soothes upset stomach, diarrhea, bloating, excessive gas, bad breath, and constipation.
- The recipe helps solve most digestive issues
- All ingredients are high quality
- Nine strains of probiotic for your dog’s health
The Zuvapet Probiotic for Dogs is a combination of prebiotics, probiotics and digestive enzymes that ensure your dog’s best health. This probiotic is made specifically for dogs, do not use on any other pet. Each bottle comes with one hundred and twenty servings.
- Help dogs with gas relief, bloating and constipation
- Blend helps break down carbohydrates, proteins and fats
- Liquid servings are more potent than chewables or powder
The TummyWorks Probiotic Powder is made for Allergy Relief, Hot Spot Treatment, Diarrhea, Yeast Infections, Itching, Gas, Bad Breath, Scratching, Bloating and Constipation. The ingredients are specifically designed to help pull more nutrients from your pet’s food. It is made with all of the best ingredients for your dog’s health.
- Good for both cats and dogs
- Powder is more effective than regular chewables
- Boosts immunity against germs and diseases
The Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics contains fourteen beneficial strains of bacteria to bolster your dog’s health. Each container has ninety grams of probiotic powder for you to mix with your pet’s food. The recipe is made to best help digestive problems.
- Great for either cats or dogs
- All products are backed with a ninety day guarantee
- Product contains no GMO, Gluten, or Soy.
The Active Chews Premium Probiotics is a combination of probiotics and digestive enzymes specially designed to boost your pet’s systems. The recipe resolves everything from upset stomach problems to bad breath. This probiotic can be taken daily with no negative side effects.
- Helps hot spots, gas, bloating, diarrhea,constipation, and sensitive stomach
- All high quality ingredients with no added preservatives
- Morsels are soft and chewy for elderly dogs
The Vet One Advita Probiotic comes in a set of two, three, or six boxes. Each supplement is safe to take daily and is guaranteed to boost your dog’s health. The recipe helps digestive and immune system troubles.
- Before and after veterinary procedures such as surgery
- Daily supplement maintains appetite and digestion
- This is only good for dogs, do not use on any other pets
The PRO-Pets Probiotics is especially formulated to boost your dog’s immune and digestive health. The tablets are small and easy for elderly dogs or puppies to swallow. The recipe contains six strains of bacteria for your dog’s health.
- Works for both cats and dogs of any sizes
- Organisms are released every eight to ten hours
- Has beef flavor without additives or artificial flavors
The Ample Nutrition Complete Prebiotic are easy chewable tablets packed with the best ingredients. Each container has sixty tablets, all cheese and bacon flavored to ensure your dog’s cooperation in taking them.
- Boosts nutrient absorption, immunity, digestion and gut health
- No meat, soy, yeast, gluten or chemicals. Good for allergies
- Works for dogs of any size or breed
The POINTPET Probiotics has a specially formulated recipe to boost your pet’s systems. This probiotic is an excellent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and immune system booster. The recipe treats diarrhea, yeast infections amd allergies alike.
- Chews are soft and small for elderly dogs or puppies
- All ingredients are of the highest quality
- Comes with one hundred and twenty duck flavored morsels
Dog Probiotic Buyer’s Guide
You love your dog more than anything in the world and you want to ensure that you are providing him with the very best of care. To ensure that he is happy and healthy, you have spent a tremendous amount of time researching all of the different products that are on the market for dogs. You’ve chosen the best dog crate, dog bed, dog house, outdoor dog kennel, and even the best dog playpen to meet his needs.
In terms of his health, you have also put a lot of thought into the food that you feed him. You’ve picked out the best dog food to support his nutritional needs, whether it’s a low protein dog food, a dog food for sensitive stomachs, or an organic dog food, and you’ve also picked out the best dog bowl so that he can thoroughly enjoy your meal. But if you really want to step up your pet’s health or if your pooch is exhibiting digestive health issues, than you might want to consider adding a probiotic to his diet.
If you’ve never used probiotics for dogs, you might be wondering exactly what probiotics are, how they can benefit your pup, and what features the best probiotics for dogs offer. Below, we provide valuable information about dog probiotics so that you can make the best choice for the health of your furry best friend.
What are Dog Probiotics?
Basically, probiotics are made up of live bacteria that improve the health of your pup; specifically the health of his digestive system. While you might think of bacteria as being bad for your dog, there are actually good bacteria that offer numerous health benefits.
Probiotics have been proven to be an effective way to improve the digestive health of dogs, especially those that are suffering from issues with their gastrointestinal system. For example, if your pup suffers from diarrhea or flatulence, probiotics can help to ease his symptoms. But that’s not all probiotics do. They can also help to strengthen your pup’s immune system, ease allergies, and just improve his overall health and well being.
What are the Benefits of Probiotics for Dogs?
It’s long been known that probiotics are beneficial for humans, but researchers are now finding that they are just as beneficial for canines. Some of the benefits that your pup can expect to gain from probiotics include:
- Improved gastrointestinal health. Probiotics can help to reduce the frequency and duration of symptoms that affect the gastrointestinal tract, such as diarrhea, constipation, and flatulence.
- Improved digestion. The healthy flora that probiotics offer can help your dog get more out of the premium quality food that you are feeding him, as he will be able to absorb nutrients better.
- Stronger skin and coat. Probiotics can also help to improve your pup’s skin and coat, especially if he suffers from allergies.
- Strengthened immune system. It has also been found that probiotics can help to strengthen a dog’s immune system, thus improving his ability to fight off infections.
In other words, probiotics for dogs can significantly improve the overall health and well being of your canine companion.
Things to Look for
When it comes to the health and well being of your dog, choosing the best probiotic is absolutely essential. Unfortunately, there are a lot of products on the market that advertise they offer the best supplements, but in reality, they either do very little or worse, they can cause adverse effects.
If you want to ensure that you are providing your pup with the best probiotics for dogs, here’s a look at some features that you should be looking for:
- High quality bacteria. The best dog probiotics will be formulated with the highest quality bacteria. There are a number of different high quality bacteria, but some include:
- Bacillus coagulans, which coat the lining of the digestive tract in order to protect your pet from harmful bacteria that can make their way into his system.
- Bifidobacterium animalis, a naturally occurring bacterium that is found in the large intestine of a dog. This probiotic helps to improve your pup’s digestion and it also improve the functioning of his immune system.
- Bifidobacerium bifidum, another bacterium that can strengthen your pet’s immune system. It also helps to balance out the bacteria inside your pup’s stomach, ensuring that there is a healthy balance.
- Enterococcus faecium, which is another naturally occurring bacterium, and it’s found in the stomach of your dog. This probiotic aids in digestion and also ensures there is a good balance of bacteria in his stomach.
- Lactobacillus plantarum, which helps to improve unpleasant gastrointestinal symptoms, such as diarrhea.
- Easy application. It can be difficult to give some dogs probiotics; especially those that are very particular about their food. To ensure that your pup is ingesting the probiotics you are giving him, choose one that offers an easy application. A powder or a capsule that is served in a capsule and can be opened up is ideal, as you can disguise the probiotic in his food.
- A healthy amount of probiotics per serving. While there is no right or wrong amount of probiotics per serving that your dog should be receiving, to see optimal results, look for a product that offers somewhere between 2 and 6 billion per serving size.
- The amount of species. The more species of bacteria that are present in the probiotic, the more health benefits it is going to offer your dog.
Dog Probiotic Review Conclusion
Whether your pet is suffering from digestive health issues or you simply want to improve his overall health and well being, than adding a high quality dog probitoc to his diet is a wise option to consider. It has been determined that the best probiotics for dogs can offer numerous benefits, including improved digestive health, a stronger immune system, allergy relief, and even healthier skin and coat. If you want to improve your pup’s health, choose a high-quality probotic, like one of the options recommended in our review.