Enjoy the companion of an intelligent and smart dog reared for herding sheep and engaging in dog sports. Border Collies is a medium-sized dog with a usual black and white fur. These high-energy and super-active dogs are used as family pets and could live for more than sixteen years.
Their longevity is due to the consumption of high-quality foods, proper care, and maintenance. Border Collies require nourishing meals from puppy stage to seniors to prevent sicknesses but choosing a suitable dog food is difficult, hence this guide to help you make the right choice.
Best Puppy Food for Border Collies
These are our reviews of puppy food for Border Collies.
1. ORIJEN High-Protein Puppy Dog Food
ORIJEN High-Protein Puppy Dog Food is specially formulated with animal ingredients like cartilage, bones, and organs for Border Collies puppies. This dog diet satisfies your puppies according to their instincts. It is suitable for dogs at any stage of life.
- Animal protein is the first ingredient.
- It contains no plant proteins, grains, additives, and colorants.
- Features fresh fruits and vegetables for vitamins and minerals.
2. Iams Dry Dog Food
Improve the digestive health of your Border Collies puppies by feeding them with Iams Dry Dog Food. This meal contains glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate that help to prevent osteoarthritis and maintain strong joints. Real chicken is the first ingredient and contains no fillers, flavors, and preservatives.
- Made for dogs of all ages with kibbles formulated in sizes for easy consumption.
- Prepared for sensitive dogs and weight management.
- It contains digestible ingredients for strong immunity, healthy furs and coat, and well-built bones.
3. Purina Pro Plan Dry Puppy Food
Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Puppy Food is fortified with calcium, phosphorous, other essential minerals to maintain the teeth and bones of Border Collies puppies. It is rich in antioxidants to boost the immune system of your puppies and help them to remain healthy. This dog food contains high-quality proteins for proper growth and development of little dogs.
- Made with chicken as the first ingredient.
- Loaded with DHA from fish oil for proper development of the brain and eyes.
- Digestible fiber from whole grains for a bowel movement.
4. Cesar Gourmet Wet Dog Food
Delight your Border Collies puppies daily with this appetizing meal made with Porterhouse steak flavors and filet mignon. It is fortified with minerals and vitamins for healthy growth. This dog food is made with American Beef as the first ingredient.
- It contains ingredients approved by AAFCO.
- Available in convenient trays with peel-away seals.
- Suitable for dogs of all sizes, especially puppies.
5. Wellness Core Natural Puppy Dog Food
Wellness Core Natural Puppy Dog Food is a grain-free formula for Border Collies puppies. It is enriched with animal proteins sourced from chicken, turkey, salmon, and loaded with enough calories for optimal performance each day. Border Collies puppies will benefit from its glucosamine contents for healthy joints and bones.
- High-quality animal protein as the first ingredient.
- Formulated in small kibble size for Border Collies puppies.
- No wheat gluten, corn, soy, fillers, meat by-products, and grain.
Border Collie Puppy Food Buying Guide
Border Collies puppies are sporty dogs that need to eat healthy diets to maintain high-energy levels every day. Besides, poor diets can lead to various health issues such as hip dysplasia, osteochondritis, and eye problems. Also, it could provoke other inherited cases.
Border Collies’ pups may develop allergies and sensitivities to dog foods prepared with soy, corn, and wheat. A careful selection of their meals is important to protect your pets from unhealthy conditions. Every pet parent should study the nutritional information attached to each bag of feed to understand the types of ingredients used in making them.
Choose dog foods with ingredients approved by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). Such ingredients include animal proteins, calcium, carbohydrates, and fats.
The Meal Should be Loaded with Animal Proteins
Purchase dog foods formulated with animal proteins as the first ingredients. Some foods could contain a single source of protein or multiple sources. Dog diets with single proteins are made as limited ingredient diets (L.I.D).
Limited ingredient diets are ideal for Border Collies with stomach sensitivities or allergies. That is the reason why selected ingredients were used in making such foods.
Moreover, animal proteins are necessary for your puppies’ meals for proper growth and development. These proteins are sourced from chicken, turkey, lamb, beef, duck, venison, bison, and even salmon. Some dog meals are a combination of different proteins for enhanced nutrition.
Proteins contain essential amino acids that promote healthy muscles. Poor consumption of diets loaded with protein can lead to weakness of muscles and laziness.
Calcium for Strong Bones and Teeth
Border Collies puppies need to ingest meals formulated with calcium for strong bones and teeth. Proper formation of bones will help in preventing hip dysplasia, osteoporosis, and even arthritis.
Carbohydrates for Energy
Buy dog foods made with digestible carbohydrates such as sweet potatoes, whole grain, and even legumes. These food products contain high calories that your Border Collies puppy needs to maintain an active lifestyle every day.
Fats for Healthy Coat and Fur
Border Collies puppies need to consume up to fifteen percent of fats in their diets daily for healthy skin and fine-looking furs. Fats are digestible and help in boosting the calorie levels of your little friends.
Select dog foods with a rightful proportion of fatty acids. It can be metabolized into essential fatty acids such as omega-3 fatty acids, omega- 6 fatty acids, and arachidonic acids (ARA).
These fats should be animal sources of fats or fish.
- How Much Does A Border Collie Cost?
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Dog Food for Border Collies
- Best Dog Crate for Border Collies
- Best Dog Bed for Border Collies
- Best Dog Brush for Border Collies
- Best Dog Toys for Border Collies
- Best Dog Collar for Border Collies
- Best Dog Harness for Border Collies
- Best Dog Muzzle for Border Collies
- Best Dog Shampoo for Border Collies