Providing a nourishing meal for your little dogs is a priority for every dog owner. Chihuahuas are unique small breed dogs with the longevity of over fifteen years. But they are prone to various health issues like diabetes, obesity, and osteoarthritis.
Puppy foods for Chihuahuas are available on the market but due to their individuality, you need to select diets with high-quality ingredients to prevent health problems. You need a professional guide to help you pick a suitable meal for Chihuahua puppies.
Best Puppy Food for Chihuahuas
Here are our reviews of puppy foods for Chihuahuas.
1. Rachael Ray Nutrish Limited Ingredient Diet Dog Food
Give your Chihuahua puppies a treat with a dog food featuring six unique ingredients to handle their food allergies. Rachael Ray Nutrish Limited Ingredient Diet Dog Food is produced with the best ingredients consisting of essential amino acids to maintain good health. This food is packed with glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy bones and joints and also enhances movement.
- Features digestible carbs without glutens., corns, soy, or wheat.
- The first ingredient is turkey meal or lamb meal.
- Supports healthy skin and fur using omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
2. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Puppy Food
Let the small jaws of your Chihuahuas puppies crunch the small kibbles of Blue Buffalo Life Protection Puppy Food to remove tartar from their teeth. It is fortified with high-quality ingredients for muscle building and strength. This dog meal contains DHA and ARA to improve the development of your puppies’ brains and eyes.
- No chicken by-product, soy, corn, or wheat.
- Boosts the puppies’ immune system.
- Real animal protein is the first ingredient.
3. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food is formulated to promote healthy weight and lean muscles in your Chihuahua’s puppies. It is blended with the right amount of calcium to maintain strong bones and teeth in your little pets. Each cup of this dog diet contains about 350 kcal for optimal strength and energy during the day.
- Supports healthy brain and eyes functions with DHA from fish oil.
- Formulated in a new formula with new kibble sizes for small dogs.
- It contains no preservatives, colors, flavors, soy, and corn.
4. Ziwi Peak Air-Dried Dog Food
Improve the digestive processes of your Chihuahuas by feeding them with a diet containing prebiotic fiber. Ziwi Peak Air-Dried Dog Food promotes better joint health and mobility of this small breed dogs even in later years. It has no sugars or glycerin, antibiotics, and GMOs.
- It contains taurine to maintain a healthy heart.
- Relieves allergy and stomach sensitivities.
- Supports healthy hair and skin in Chihuahua puppies.
5. ACANA Real Meat Dry Dog Food
Satiate the tastes of your Chihuahua’s puppies with ACANA Real Meat Dry Dog Food made with the best ingredients. It contains proteins from animal products such as meat, organs, bones, and cartilages of beef, lamb, and pork. This dog food is grain-free with no tapioca, gluten, or potato.
- Formulated with 60% animal protein and 40% vegetables and fruits.
- Suitable for Chihuahuas of all stages of life.
- It contains wholesome grains with no additives or preservatives.
Puppy Food for Chihuahuas Buying Guide
Chihuahuas’ puppies need to consume dog foods made of high-quality ingredients to improve their health and enhance longevity. There are varieties of dog foods on the market but choosing the right diet depends on your knowledge of the features of each brand.
Some dog foods are dry while other wet foods. Another categorization features on the ingredients used in making the foods. Therefore, we have dog foods with grain and grain-free products.
Depending on the nature of your Chihuahua and the budget for feeding your pet, you can make a choice. But consider some features of dog foods before buying such as
Ingredients used in making the Dog Foods
Dog foods are produced with various ingredients such as
Consider buying a dog food loaded with proteins from different animal sources to give your puppy a healthy treat with an exclusive taste. This variety of ingredients in small-sized kibbles makes your Chihuahua puppies enjoy natural nutrients comfortably.
Some dog foods are made with only one source of protein such as duck, chicken, or beef with other wholesome grains, fruits, and vegetables. Others could be made with five or six ingredients. This limited ingredient diet (L.I.D) is done to minimize allergies or stomach sensitivities.
Some food products such as grains, peas, and glutens are allergic to most pets. But if your Chihuahuas can consume these food substances without hassles, you can embrace dog foods with grains. Otherwise, stick to grain-free dog foods for the optimal health of your canine friends.
Dog foods with the right amount of fats are suitable for your small breed dogs like Chihuahuas. This is the animal type of fats that contribute to the needed calories more than carbohydrates. Most carbs are not digestible leading to allergies and sensitivities, therefore animal fats are the preferred sources of calories.
As young pups, they are vibrant and restive. They used up more calories than adult dogs or seniors that live passive lives. Consuming more fats in small kibbles will help your Chihuahuas to live healthy and productive lives.
Besides, omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids can be obtained from animal fats or plant fats. However, these essential fatty acids help your young Chihuahuas to maintain healthy skin and shiny hair.
DHAs are products of fatty acids that help to boost the eyesight and brain functions in Chihuahuas puppies.
Fruits and Vegetables
Antioxidants are necessary for a Chihuahua pup to maintain its high level of immunity. Dog foods made with vegetables and fruits contain a good amount of antioxidants that can tackle oxidative stress. This will maintain good health and promote longevity.
Costs of Dog Foods
Consider the cost of each dog food before buying. This will ensure that you stick to your budget.
- How Much Does A Chihuahua Cost?
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Dog Crates for Chihuahuas
- Best Dog Brush for Chihuahuas
- Best Dog Bed for Chihuahuas
- Best Dog Collar for Chihuahuas
- Best Dog Toys for Chihuahuas
- Best Dog Harness for Chihuahuas
- Best Dog Muzzle for Chihuahuas
- Dog Shampoo for Chihuahuas
- Best Dog Food for Chihuahuas