If you have or are getting a Chorkie puppy soon – congratulations! You are the proud pet parent of one of the cutest dogs around. The next step is figuring out what he should eat. You want to choose something that he loves and tastes great, but it’s also important to get him on a diet that will meet all of his nutritional needs and set him up for a long and healthy life. Luckily, there are lots of great brands on the market today that your Chorkie will love and that will put your mind at ease, too.
Best Puppy Food for Chorkies
Here are our best puppy food for Chorkies reviews.
Nulo Small Breed Dog Food is specially designed for small and toy breed puppies and dogs like Chorkies. Your pup will love this grain-free salmon and red lentil recipe, containing premium probiotics for excellent digestive and immune health.
- 84% of protein from animal sources
- Lentils, sweet potatoes and chickpeas
- No corn, wheat, soy, tapioca or white potatoes
Eukanuba Small Breed Puppy Food is a dry food designed to support healthy muscle and bone health in your growing Chorkie with high quality protein and optimal levels of calcium and phosphorous.
- Supports brain development with DHA
- Chicken is the first ingredient
- Properly balanced carbs and fat for concentrated energy needs of small breeds
This Purina Pro Plan Dry Puppy Food recipe is specifically designed for highly active toy breed puppies. The tiny bite-sized kibble contains chicken as the first ingredient for a nutritious, high-protein meal your Chorkie will love.
- Small kibble is nutrient rich for toy breed puppies
- Antioxidants for developing immune systems
- Contains essential DHA from fish oil for brain and eye development
Royal Canin Small Puppy Dry Dog Food is designed for puppies with an adult weight from 9 to 22 pounds. This recipe will support your Chorkie’s developing immune system with its blend of antioxidants and minerals.
- Designed for small puppies up to 10 months old
- Highly digestible protein and prebiotics
- Small kibble designed for small pups
Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Recipe is a dry food designed for small and mini-puppies like Chorkies with a special kibble for their small jaws. DHA is added from fish oil for healthy brain and eye development.
- High quality protein for lean muscle development
- Enriched with minerals for healthy bones and teeth
- Chicken and barley recipe for great flavor
Puppy Food for Chorkies Buyer’s Guide
Your tiny Chorkie puppy will stay small, growing to about 8 to 15 pounds at maturity. So, that means finding a quality puppy food is very important because it needs to pack as much nutrition as possible into every tiny bitebefore he gets full. Getting your Chorkie puppy onto a great diet early is one of the best things you can do to help him live a long, happy, energetic life. Make sure you choose a quality puppy food that is designed for small and toy breeds, because it will be optimized for his size and nutritional requirements.
Our buying guide reviews the best puppy food for Chorkies on the market so you can choose the right one for your dog. The following are specific considerations you should make for your Chorkie and when choosing the right food for your growing dog.
Size and Build
Chorkies are obviously a small breed, but as puppies, they can be teeny! That means they need a high-quality kibble that is easy to pick up and easy to chew. Ideally, it should be a bit softer than an adult kibble and designed for small jaws. These pups also have little tummies, so an easy-to-digest kibble supplemented with prebiotics and probioticswillensure your Chorkie enjoys his meals with no tummy aches. Each bite should be packed with protein, essential vitamins and minerals, and no fillers or by-product meals taking up any space.
Nutritional Needs for Growth
Chorkies are prone to gaining weight, which can be very hard on their tiny bones and joints, so get them onto a diet with lean protein early to prevent issues down the road. Ingredients such as chicken, turkey, fish or wild game are great, and should be the first ingredient in a quality blend. Chorkie puppies also need vitamin A and DHA to support developing eye and brain functions, along with adequateamounts of calcium, phosphorous for developing bones and essential fatty acids and vitamin E to maintain their luxurious locks.
Chorkies can sometimes develop allergies to corn, wheat and soy which can lead to skin irritations and atopic dermatitis. A grain-free recipe to prevent any possible allergic reactions is a good idea if you are worried about food sensitivities. Look for healthy carbohydrates such as peas, potatoes and squash that will help maintain energy levels without the side effects of grain.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Dog Food for Chorkies
- Best Dog Crate for Chorkies
- Best Dog Bed for Chorkies
- Best Dog Brush for Chorkies
- Best Dog Toys for Chorkies
- Best Dog Collar for Chorkies
- Best Dog Harness for Chorkies
- Best Dog Muzzle for Chorkies
- Best Dog Shampoo for Chorkies