Watching your puppy Labrador Retriever play and be silly is a great joy as his pet parent, and fueling that high energy is an important responsibility. Labrador puppies need a high-quality, high-protein puppy food packed with all of the essential vitamins and minerals he will need to grow and thrive. Choosing the right food will help prevent dangerous health conditions down the road and set him up for an active and healthy life with you. For your Labrador puppy, stick to a brand with premium ingredients designed for the growth needs of energetic large breed puppies.
Best Puppy Food for Labrador Retrievers
Here are our best puppy food for Labrador Retrievers reviews.
Stella & Chewy’s Perfectly Puppy recipe offers premium freeze-dried raw chicken and salmon patties your growing pup will love. This minimally processed raw-food recipe will appeal to your Labrador Retriever’s wild ancestry.
- Cage-free chicken and wild-caught salmon
- Cranberries, spinach and other fruits and vegetables for balanced nutrition
- Includes probiotics, DHA and antioxidants for growth needs
This Wellness Core Large Breed Puppy Food is designed for the unique growth rate of large breed puppies like Labrador Retrievers. This recipe features tasty real deboned chicken as the first ingredient with peas, lentils and flaxseed for added nutrition.
- DHA from omega-rich Salmon oil for brain and eye development
- Enriched with adequate calcium and phosphorous for healthy bones and teeth
- Superfoods such as blueberry and kale for healthy antioxidants
The Blue Buffalo Life Protection Puppy Food is a natural dry dog food for puppies with real lamb and oatmeal. This special recipe also has wholesome whole grains, fruits and vegetables for your Labrador Retriever’s complete and balanced nutrition.
- DHA and ARA for cognitive and retinal development
- Special small-bite kibble for puppies
- Contains LifeSource Bits, a blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals
Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Food is a premium high-protein puppy food with real lamb as the first ingredient. This recipe also has antioxidants from superfoods and additional fatty acids for a healthy coat and skin.
- Small kibble is nutrient rich for puppies
- Probiotics for easy digestion
- Contains essential DHA for brain and eye development
The Fromm Family Gold Large Breed Puppy Food is a premium recipe designed for pups like your growing Labrador Retriever. With fresh duck, chicken and lamb, this blend will satisfy your pup’s need for quality protein.
- Also contains whole eggs and real cheese
- Pearled barley and brown rice for added nutrition
- Small kibble designed for puppies
Puppy Food for Labrador Retrievers Buyer’s Guide
Choosing a puppy food for your little Labrador Retriever is important as this medium-large breed has a fast growth rate, especially in the first year. This means they will need a kibble that supports their high energy and growth needs in this time to fuel their developing bodies. A puppy food designed for large breeds will have the right ratios of protein, carbohydrates and fat your Labrador Retriever puppy needs. Because this breed has been around for thousands of years, he will appreciate a recipe that features ingredients that are as close to their natural source as possible. These premium brands may cost a little more, but a recipe with few or no fillers, by-product meals or artificial preservatives will ensure each bite is packed with only the nutrients he needs.
Our buying guide reviews the best puppy food for Labrador Retrievers on the market so you can choose the right one for your dog. The following are specific considerations you should make for your Labrador Retriever and when choosing the right food for your growing dog.
Your Labrador Retriever puppy needs a high-protein diet from lean sources to prevent obesity while meeting his energy and growing needs. Real meat should be the first ingredient on the label, and protein should make up at least 25 per cent of the blend. Also, choose a recipe with adequate amounts of calcium and phosphorous, along with vitamin D and glucosamine for developing healthy bones, cartilage and teeth. The omega-3 fatty acids DHA and ARA are found in mother’s milk and will support his brain development and retinal health. DHA usually comes from a fish oil, such as salmon. Finally, antioxidants and probiotics will support his growing immune and digestive systems.
Labrador Retrievers are prone to several issues that you can help prevent with a high-quality puppy food. One issue is hip dysplasia and joint pain due to obesity. This can be exacerbated with a food that is too high in fat or has unhealthy fillers or by-product meals. Choose a recipe made with lean protein such as chicken, turkey or fish and limit treats as much as possible to give your puppy a good start to a healthy and active life. Labs are also known to develop heart disease, so he will need a top-quality kibble with essential fatty acids and antioxidants to help maintain healthy cardiovascular functioning.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Dog Food for Labrador Retrievers
- Best Dog Crate for Labrador Retrievers
- Best Dog Bed for Labrador Retrievers
- Best Dog Brush for Labrador Retrievers
- Best Dog Toys for Labrador Retrievers
- Best Dog Collar for Labrador Retrievers
- Best Dog Harness for Labrador Retrievers
- Best Dog Muzzle for Labrador Retrievers
- Best Dog Shampoo for Labrador Retrievers