Now that you are the proud pet parent of your adorable Miniature Schnauzer puppy, the big questions start. What should he eat? What should he avoid? Making the right choices, especially when it comes to his diet, is tough. The good news is that there are plenty of high-quality brands on the market that have taken care of all the guesswork for you. Choose a premium brand that is specifically designed for small breed puppies, and you can be sure he is getting everything he needs for his growth and energy requirements.
Best Puppy Food for Miniature Schnauzers
Here are our best puppy food for Miniature Schnauzers reviews.
This Wellness Natural Small Breed Puppy Food is a delicious blend of turkey, salmon and oatmeal that has everything your Miniature Schnauzer puppy needs to thrive. This recipe supports healthy muscle and bone health with high quality protein and optimal levels of calcium and phosphorous.
- Supports brain development with DHA
- Chicken is the first ingredient
- Properly balanced carbs and fat for concentrated energy needs of small breeds
Royal Canin Miniature Schnauzer Puppy Food is specifically designed for your puppy, with its breed-specific formula. This recipe will support your Miniature Schnauzer’s developing immune system with its blend of antioxidants and minerals.
- Nutrition for small puppies up to 10 months old
- Moderate fat levels and L-carnitine promote healthy weight
- Small kibble designed for small pups
Diamond Naturals Small Breed Puppy Food is a premium high-protein puppy food with real cage-free chicken as the first ingredient. This recipe also has antioxidants from superfoods and additional fatty acids for your Miniature Schnauzer’s coat and skin.
- Small kibble is nutrient rich for puppies
- Probiotics for easy digestion
- Contains essential DHA for brain and eye development
Eukanuba Small Breed Puppy Food is a dry food designed to support healthy muscle and bone health in your growing Miniature Schnauzer. This recipe has optimal levels of calcium and phosphorous and DHA for healthy brain and eye development.
- High quality protein for lean muscle development
- Enriched with minerals for healthy bones and teeth
- Chicken is the first ingredient
Blue Buffalo Freedom is a grain-free dry puppy food designed to support healthy muscle development in small breed puppies like Miniature Schnauzers. This formula contains DHA and ARA, fatty acids found in mother’s milk for brain and eye development.
- Contains chicken, peas and potatoes
- No by-product meals, corn, wheat or soy
- Properly balanced carbohydrates and protein for small breeds
Puppy Food for Miniature Schnauzers Buyer’s Guide
Miniature Schnauzer puppies have some specific needs you should consider when choosing his puppy food. These little puppies have a short, intense growth period with lots of energy needs. A regular puppy food may not be right for your Miniature Schnauzer, so choose a puppy food designed specifically for small breeds. As with other small breeds, it’s important your puppy does not become overweight as he gets older. He will need adequate amounts of lean protein, along with other essential vitamins and minerals that will support his growth and development. A kibble made for small breed puppies will be specially designed for their tiny mouths, making it easy to pick up and chew. Avoid recipes with fillers, by-product meals or artificial preservatives, so you know he is only getting what he needs in every bite.
Our buying guide reviews the best puppy food for Miniature Schnauzers on the market so you can choose the right one for your dog. The following are specific considerations you should make for your Miniature Schnauzer when choosing the right food for your growing dog.
Essentials for Optimal Growth
Your Miniature Schnauzer puppy will benefit from a recipe with high protein and moderate fat, along with adequate amounts of fiber and carbohydrates for his energy needs. Prebiotics and probiotics will ensure your Miniature Schnauzer’s little tummy develops a healthy digestive system. Miniature Schnauzer puppies also need vitamins and minerals to support developing eye and brain health, such as vitamin A, and the fatty acids DHA and ARA. DHA is often sourced from a fish oil, such as salmon.
Other Nutritional Considerations
Choose a recipe with meat or fish as the first ingredient, with lean sources such as chicken, turkey, wild game or fish. Lean protein and moderate fat is important to prevent obesity over time, as this breed is prone to pancreatitis from high-fat diets. Adequate amounts of calcium and phosphorous are essential for bone and joint development, but do not over supplement as this breed can develop dangerous Oxylate stones with too much calcium. Finally, if you suspect food allergies, choose a grain-free recipe with no corn, wheat or soy to try and eliminate possible triggers.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Dog Food for Miniature Schnauzers
- Best Dog Crate for Miniature Schnauzers
- Best Dog Bed for Miniature Schnauzers
- Best Dog Brush for Miniature Schnauzers
- Best Dog Toys for Miniature Schnauzers
- Best Dog Collar for Miniature Schnauzers
- Best Dog Harness for Miniature Schnauzers
- Best Dog Muzzle for Miniature Schnauzers
- Best Dog Shampoo for Miniature Schnauzers
- Best Training Book for Miniature Schnauzers