Considered as a rare breed, Rat terrier has its name coined by Teddy Roosevelt. This pied patterned exterminator has a history as a farm dog who used to prey on rodents to keep their owner’s farmland safe. Also known as Decker Giants, this member of the terrier group has two size divisions, miniature, and standard. Some of these small-sized breeds are likely to get overweight when fed unduly, which might trigger hip dysplasia and patellar luxation among them.
High-quality food with an appropriate amount of lean protein, antioxidants, carbohydrates, and fiber is required for the healthy growth of young Rat Terriers. Considering the doubts that may occur among the owners of these terriers, we have summed up the reviews of some of the best puppy food for your Rat Terriers.
Best Puppy Foods for Rat Terriers
Here are our puppy foods for Rat Terriers reviews.
1. Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Formula Grain-free Dry Dog Food
The high energy requirement of these lively terriers is efficiently attained by the Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Formula Grain-free Dry Dog Food. With protein-rich primary ingredients, including buffalo and bison, this dry dog food is an adequate option for the healthy development of your Rat Terriers. Antioxidants from fruits and vegetables and probiotic fibers from dry chicory roots ensure a better digestive system.
- Grain-free recipe with added vitamins
- The ingredient includes Omega fatty acids for a healthier coat and skin.
- Chelated amino acids stimulate their nutrition, absorbing capacity.
2. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Puppy Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
Formulated with real meat and garden-fresh vegetables, the Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Puppy Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food provides a well-nourished balanced diet to your Rat Terriers. The Blue Buffalo exclusive, LifeSource Bits, enhances the formula with its Super 7 package of antioxidants. The kibbles are sized specifically for the little mouths of these young small-sized breeds.
- DHA & ARA support the healthy growth of the brain and eye.
- Added Omega fatty acids to maintain the quality of their coat.
- Chelated amino acids stimulate their immune system.
3. American Journey Lamb & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Puppy Dry Dog Food
With wholesome ingredients inclusive of high protein sources and amino acids from deboned lamb and sweet potatoes, the American Journey Puppy Dry Dog Food is a nutrient-rich option for the healthy growth of your young Rat Terrier. While the sweet potatoes and chickpeas fulfill the energy requirements of your puppy, vegetables like carrots and blueberries provide required phytonutrients. Its mouth-watering flavor will also satisfy the taste buds of your Rat Terrier.
- Plenty of Omega fatty acids to maintain their smooth & shiny fur.
- Grain-free recipe
- Antioxidant-rich recipe for an enhanced immune system.
4. Wellness CORE Grain-Free Puppy Chicken & Turkey Recipe Dry Dog Food
This grain-free recipe by Wellness is an apt choice for your young Rat Terrier with its protein-rich ingredients like chicken and turkey. It is formulated with an adequate amount of calories to prevent them from getting overweight. Wellness CORE Grain-Free Puppy Chicken & Turkey Recipe Dry Dog Food helps in healthy development of the brain and eye along with stimulating their immune system.
- Added calcium and phosphorus for stronger skeletal and teeth.
- Probiotic coated kibbles for a healthy digestive system.
- The kibbles are enriched with DHA and antioxidants
5. Merrick Grain-free Dry Puppy Food Real Chicken and Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food
This grain-free recipe by Merrick constitutes 60% protein & healthy fats sources, including deboned chicken, as it’s a primary ingredient. A nourishing option for your young Rat Terrier, Merrik Grain-free Dry Puppy Food Real Chicken and Sweet Potato Recipe also includes an efficient amount of added nutrients like vitamins, minerals and fibers. This balanced diet comes in small-sized kibbles to benefit your puppy’s mouth.
- DHA stimulates your Terrier’s cognitive development
- An adequate amount of Omega fatty acids for a healthier coat.
- Glucosamine adds strength to their hips and joints.
Puppy Foods For Rat Terriers Buyer’s Guide
The protein requirement of puppies is larger as compared to the adult ones to regulate healthy growth among them. While lean protein ensures a stronger muscle build-up of this active small breed, added calcium and phosphorus are important for stronger teeth and bones. Like every species, Rat Terriers also require additional nourishment in their growing age in order to maintain their health and energy. A well and good treat are also important to boost their training. Their proneness to hip dysplasia and patellar luxation requires added effort to maintain a healthy weight through a balanced diet.
Let us go through some of the most important factors that should be kept in mind while buying puppy food for Rat Terriers.
The primary criterion before opting for a deal is if it is cost-effective or not. It must be formulated with well-balanced nourishing ingredients at a reasonable rate. Pet owners must not compromise with the quality of the product in the quest to save money. However, there is always an option to avail of the discounts provided by the respective sellers.
A young Rat Terrier requires a protein-rich diet in order to sustain healthy muscle growth. Added nutrients like antioxidants, chelated amino acids and fibers are necessary to enhance the effects of a balanced diet. While chelated amino acids ensure better absorption of the nutrients, fibres and antioxidants stimulate better digestion. Furthermore, calcium and phosphorus in the ingredients make their teeth and bones stronger. A ketogenic diet is necessary to prevent them from excessive weight gain, which may trigger disorders like hip dysplasia and patellar luxation. An ingredient with omega 3 & 6 fatty acids maintains its healthy skin and coat.
With two size divisions, miniature and standard, Rat Terriers have different food requirements according to their size and weight. While an adult miniature terrier weighs from 4 to 6 pounds, the standard ones weigh 10-25 pounds. This weight difference is enough to understand the difference in their food requirements. A healthy Rat Terrier does not have its ribs visible. Moreover, an overweight puppy gets prone to hip dysplasia and patellar luxation. It is recommended to consult a veterinarian if your puppy is gaining weight abruptly.
Rat Terriers are not hypoallergenic. Therefore, they can be easily exposed to allergies. A certain type of herb or spices may be the cause. However, some of the most common ingredients in puppy foods like chicken, eggs, potato or any other vegetable can act as an allergen to them. In such a situation, you must consult a veterinarian.
Two of the most typical types are wet and dry dog food. There is not any recognizable difference between the two of them except for the calorie density. While dry dog food has higher calorie density, they replenish the average amount of daily calorie requirement of Rat Terriers with lesser quantity as compared to the wet food. Other specialized diets should only be chosen after consulting a veterinarian.
- How Much Does A Rat Terrier Cost?
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Dog Food for Rat Terriers
- Best Dog Crate for Rat Terriers
- Best Dog Bed for Rat Terriers
- Best Dog Brush for Rat Terriers
- Best Dog Toys for Rat Terriers
- Best Dog Collar for Rat Terriers
- Best Dog Harness for Rat Terriers
- Best Dog Muzzle for Rat Terriers
- Best Dog Shampoo for Rat Terriers
- Best Training Book for Rat Terriers