Scottish Deerhound puppies are highly active and energetic players. To keep up with their developmental needs, the right puppy food is important. Not to mention, as a giant breed, these puppies grow for much longer periods. That is why pet owners must satisfy their Scottish Deerhound’s picky tastes as well as their health requirements.
We understand that finding the right puppy food for your Scottish Deerhound can be tough. In this review, we will help you out by listing our choices for puppy food for Scottish Deerhounds.
Best Puppy Foods for Scottish Deerhounds
Here are our puppy foods for Scottish Deerhounds reviews.
Hill’s Science Diet puppy food is a wholesome pick with a chicken and barley blend. It has a balanced recipe to give your Scottish Deerhound adequate skeletal, brain, and eye support, and also boosts immunity. Hill’s Science puppy food is made with high-standard ingredients suitable for puppies as old as 1 year of age.
- Smaller kibble size for easy digestion
- Natural sources of DHA from fish oil and rich in antioxidants, vitamin C and E
- Does not contain any artificial ingredients, flavors, colorings, or preservatives
American Journey Lamb & Sweet Potato Puppy Food will give your Scottish Deerhound the right nutrients for growth. It meets the protein requirement by including lamb and amino acids. While the potato and chickpea ensure energy for your active Scottish Deerhound pup, American Journey Lamb & Sweet Potato Puppy Food also includes plenty of veggies and fruits, making it rich in nutrients.
- Contains vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, and phytonutrients
- Includes flaxseed and salmon oil for Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and DHA
- Encourages skin and coat health
Purina One Smart Blend Large Breed Puppy Formula is the perfect fit for larger breed pups like Scottish Deerhounds. It has zero fillers and the most wholesome ingredients to give them the right amount of protein from organic chicken. Purina is right for puppies because of the digestion-friendly blend.
- Optimum for lean muscle development
- Contains natural sources of Omega-6 fatty acids, glucosamine, and DHA
- Promotes skin and coat health and no artificial preservatives, colorings, or flavors
Nutro Wholesome Essentials Large Breed Puppy Food is made to support the higher protein and nutrient requirements of Scottish Deerhound pups. It is a good source of chondroitin, glucosamine, calcium, and Omega 3 fatty acids. It provides your Scottish Deerhound adequate proteins from organic chickens and still maintains a great flavor.
- Maintains bone and joint health
- Free of corn, soy, corn, or GMO ingredients
- Contains no artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors
Primal Chicken Formula Nuggets Grain-Free Puppy Food is a safe bet for your Scottish Deerhound’s natural dietary cravings. It is sourced from organic ingredients and ensures both taste and nutrition. It is stock full of vitamins, minerals, and has a high-protein formula, which makes it great for energetic Scottish Deerhound pups.
- Sourced from steroid, hormone, and antibiotic-free chicken meat
- Convenient freeze-dried form and is free of gluten, grain, wheat, corn, and soy
- Contains fatty acids, amino acids, and natural enzymes
Puppy Food for Scottish Deerhound Buyer’s Guide
Scottish Deerhound puppies require some extra consideration when it comes to their meals. They expend a lot of energy during their growing years and thus need enough nourishment. Since Scottish Deerhounds are known as finicky eaters, you need to pick out only high-quality puppy food. A cheaper puppy food substitute may just make them sick and stunt their growth.
In their formative years, these pups also need plenty of food to be fully satisfied. Keep in mind their sensitive digestions when picking out their puppy food.
Not to mention, puppy diets are different from adult Scottish Deerhound requirements. When reading the nutritional values, be on the lookout for puppy-friendly ingredients. The following factors are meant to help you pick out the right puppy food for your Scottish Deerhound.
Scottish Deerhounds are large dogs and naturally have a higher caloric intake. A growing Scottish Deerhound requires even more energy and calories than a full-grown adult of the same breed.
For a 60 pound Scottish Deerhound puppy, a minimum of 1671 kcal is necessary on a daily basis.
You should always check how many calories any puppy food provides per cup. Keep in mind that your pup will want to nibble all day long, in addition to 3 to 4 whole meals. When buying puppy food, ensure that the calories are well balanced as per their meal schedules.
Each Scottish Deerhound puppy will have a slightly different metabolic rate. This will determine how much they eat. Their level of activity will also tell you how much you should be feeding them.
Food allergies and sensitivities can make your Scottish Deerhound sick. While allergies are more serious and rare, sensitivities are common for this breed.
Food sensitivity and allergy trigger ingredients are dairies, wheat, beef, egg, chicken, rabbit, and such.
Since puppies also have more sensitive digestive systems, always look for suitable puppy food in this regard.
As per the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO), protein is a primary requirement for Scottish Deerhound pups. The minimum recommended amount is 22% protein in their total meal for growing dogs of this breed.
To maintain optimum health, you should feed your Scottish Deerhound more than just the minimum. Fats are also important for adequate energy, and Scottish Deerhound pups need at least 8% fats in their diet.
Like all other sighthounds, these dogs grow immensely in their initial years. Thus feeding should be regulated. Too much-concentrated energy can later cause joint and skeletal issues. Even as adults, Scottish Deerhounds are generally low on body fat if healthy.
Proteins and calories should be carefully monitored in meals, as should calcium and phosphorus. On the other hand, your Scottish Deerhound will definitely benefit from DHA and other Omega fatty acids.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Dog Food for Scottish Deerhounds
- Best Dog Crate for Scottish Deerhounds
- Best Dog Bed for Scottish Deerhounds
- Best Dog Brush for Scottish Deerhounds
- Best Dog Toys for Scottish Deerhounds
- Best Dog Collar for Scottish Deerhounds
- Best Dog Harness for Scottish Deerhounds
- Best Dog Muzzle for Scottish Deerhounds
- Best Dog Shampoo for Scottish Deerhounds
- Best Training Book for Scottish Deerhounds