Shetland Sheepdogs or Shelties were bred in the harsh extremities of Scotland as hardworking herding dogs. Though more than a century has passed, Shetland Sheepdogs still retain their reputation as a sincere and intelligent watchdog. This distinctive Sheepdog boasts of its attractive looks coupled with bright eyes, smooth straight coat, and an ever-smiling face.
These cute Shetland Sheepdogs always remain eager to please their owners, and they are excellent around kids. If you adopt a Shetland Sheepdog puppy, you will be surprised to see its instinct to show off. Sheltie puppies also need a good diet every day to evolve into a healthy and sturdy adult Shetland Sheepdog.
Best Puppy Foods for Shetland Sheepdogs
Here are our puppy foods for Shetland Sheepdogs reviews.
This special Diamond Naturals Small Breed Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food is perfect for your Shetland Sheepdog’s overall development. This chicken meal also consists of a decent amount of garden vegetables, which provide antioxidant and prebiotic support. This high protein diet contains around 419 Kcal per cup.
- It provides your Shetland Sheepdog strong muscles.
- The availability of pumpkin, blueberry, and orange makes the food vitamin-rich.
- The abundance of fatty acids takes good care of its external appearance.
This nutrient-rich Wellness Small Breed Complete Health Puppy Turkey, Oatmeal & Salmon Meal Recipe Dry Dog Food is an excellent choice for your little Shetland Sheepdog’s wellbeing. Designed for toy breed puppies, the food also contains chicken, rice, tomato, carrot, and so on. The small kibbles of the pack have been made keeping in mind the smaller jaws of Shetland Sheepdogs.
- DHA boosts the intellectual standards in dogs.
- Barley supplies the energy requirement of the dog’s body.
- It also contains some natural extracts such as rosemary extract, green tea extract, and so on.
This Eukanuba Small Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food keeps your Shetland Sheepdog active and energetic all through the day. Although chicken is the first ingredient of the food, it also contains corn, rice, fish oil, egg product, and many others. This unique food is specially formulated for puppies less than a year old.
- It has a unique balance of carbohydrate, protein, and fat.
- The abundance of calcium and phosphorus takes care of its dental and skeletal health.
- For the purpose of preservation, the food contains rosemary extract and tocopherol.
Available in a 4 lb and 12 lb bag, this Merrick Lil’ Plates Grain-Free Real Chicken & Sweet Potato Puppy Dry Dog Food is a wholesome diet for little bodies of your Shetland Sheepdog. Apart from the real deboned chicken, the food has potatoes, peas, apples, blueberries, and so on. Multiple vitamins included in the food protect its body from all kinds of germs.
- It has a huge amount of chondroitin in it.
- It is absolutely grain-free as your Shetland Sheepdog has a sensitive stomach.
- These crunchy kibbles keep their teeth clean.
5. CANIDAE Grain-Free PURE Petite Salmon Formula Small Breed Puppy Limited Ingredient Diet Freeze-Dried Raw Coated Dry Dog Food
The delightful taste of this CANIDAE Grain-Free PURE Petite Salmon Formula Small Breed Puppy Limited Ingredient Diet Freeze-Dried Raw Coated Dry Dog Food makes this food the favorite of your Shetland Sheepdog. Along with salmon as the first ingredient, the food comprises lentils, peas, flaxseed, and so on. These ingredients help your Sheepdog to get a healthy digestive system and clean gut.
- This grain-free diet has been made abiding by the food safety standards.
- Rich in animal protein, the food comes in two varied sized bags.
- It also improves the dog’s eyesight.
Puppy Foods For Shetland Sheepdogs Buyer’s Guide
Bred in the United Kingdom, Shetland Sheepdogs are known for their amicable nature towards humans and other pets. These highly active herding dogs are very easy to train. That is why if you give them the right nutrition from the very first day, you will see them always being up for exercises and training. It is known to us all that food is the fuel for any living species in the world. So, a portion of high-quality puppy food is needed in an adequate quantity to meet its energy requirements. Here we have listed some puppy food guides to help you along the way.
The activity level sets the level of the calorie count in the dog’s body. As Shetland Sheepdogs are moderately active, they will require at least 380 Kcal per cup. In most cases, it is seen that puppies are more active than their elder counterpart. So, it is suggested to feed them puppy food thrice a day.
Some dogs are allergic to several grains, as these upset their stomach. Besides, some breed can’t stand soy products and corn at all. That is why it is important to observe your Shetland Sheepdog puppy for weeks before you spend your bucks on puppy food. Other than stomach problems, if your Sheepdog is suffering from chronic skin issues, you should prioritize foods with omega 3 fatty acids in them. If your dog suffers from frequent digestive problems, it is good to feed them food with natural fibers.
Proper puppy food should contain animal protein to trigger its growth scale. Carbohydrate coming from oatmeal, wheat, rice, and barley provides it the energy it requires to stay active and agile. Vitamin, mineral, antioxidant, and prebiotic are also vital components of puppy food. These come from garden vegetables and real fruits mostly.
No matter what brand you buy, always check the noted items on the food packet’s rear side. We sincerely hope that these pieces of information will help you to find the most suitable puppy food for your Shetland Sheepdog.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Dog Food for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Crate for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Bed for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Brush for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Toys for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Collar for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Harness for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Muzzle for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Shampoo for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Training Book for Shetland Sheepdogs