Also known as ‘the tomboy toy,’ Yorkshire Terrier is one of the smallest dog breeds. They were developed in Yorkshire, England, and so we know where the name comes from. The highlight of Yorkshire Terrier is their lustrous and silky coat. These smart and curious species can themselves signify their food requirements with time.
However, with a poor digestive system, they are expected to suffer from diarrhea when fed something out of their regular diet. Therefore, it requires extra care while choosing their puppy food. Some obvious doubts are bound to arise among the owners with such specifications. To help you out, we have listed the reviews of the five best puppy foods for Yorkshire Terriers.
Best Puppy Foods For Yorkshire Terriers
Here are our puppy foods for Yorkshire Terriers reviews.
1. Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Puppy Formula Grain-free Dry Dog Food
Bestow your pup with healthy growth and development with Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Puppy Formula Grain-free Dry Dog Food. This balanced diet has protein-rich salmon and added peas and potatoes to provide your Yorkshire Terrier with the required energy. Wholesome fruits and vegetables, along with chicory roots, enhance their delicate digestive system with prebiotic support.
- Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids keep their hair healthy and shiny.
- Highly digestible recipe with essential antioxidants
- Does not contain grain, soy, fillers, artificial colors, or preservatives.
2. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Puppy Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Puppy Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food is compose with meat-based primary ingredients for protein requirements along with its exclusive supplement, rich in antioxidants, called LifeSource Bits. The chicken provides your Yorkshire Terrier with the required energy for healthy growth and antioxidants to support their immune system. Moreover, the small-sized kibbles are crafted to befit your puppy.
- Includes calcium and phosphorus for stronger bones and teeth.
- DHA & ARA supports cognitive development
- Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids maintain their lustrous hairs.
3. American Journey Lamb & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-free Dry Dog Food
Nourish your young Yorkshire Terrier with this American Journey’s balanced diet. The protein-rich primary ingredient, i.e., deboned lamb ensures the optimal growth of your Yorkshire Terrier. This grain-free diet satisfies the taste buds of your Yorkshire Terrier, along with their energy requirements.
- Wholesome fruits and vegetables are rich in antioxidants for better immunity.
- Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids from salmon oil and flaxseed rejuvenate their hairs.
- Included DHA stimulates their cognitive development.
4. Zignature Trout & Salmon Meal Limited Ingredient Formula Grain-free Dry Dog Food
With limited but wholesome ingredients, Zignature Trout & Salmon Meal Limited Ingredient Formula Grain-free Dry Dog Food provides your Yorkshire Terrier with the required energy along with keeping them from allergies or upset stomach. It excludes common allergens like soy, chicken, wheat, and corn fulfills the nutritional requirements with Salmon & Trout, instead. It also contains a perfect blend of antioxidants, fatty acids, minerals, and vitamins.
- Trout has an abundance of nutritional values including omega 3 fatty acids, Vitamin B12, Phosphorus, and Selenium.
- Includes fiber-rich peas and chickpeas for better digestion.
- With limited ingredients, it reduces the probability of causing allergies.
5. VICTOR Select Nutra Pro Active Dog & Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food
A perfect amalgamation of nutritious ingredients for your active Yorkshire Terrier, the VICTOR Select Nutra Pro Active Dog & Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food is suitable for both young and adult dogs. With 92% meat protein, it provides your puppy with enough energy to grow. This wholesome recipe contains low carbs and is rich in vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, and other nutritious elements.
- It contains antioxidants to enhance the provided energy.
- Promotes healthy immunity and a better digestive system.
- Specialized gluten-free diet for sensitive digestion; also excludes corn, wheat, and soy.
Puppy Foods For Yorkshire Terrier Buyer’s Guide
These emotionally secure species have an unstable digestive system. A slight change in their diet can result in vomiting & diarrhea. The young Yorkshire Terrier has a higher risk of hypoglycemia, i.e., low blood sugar. Moreover, an underweight Yorkshire Terrier is extensively prone to digestive instabilities and more sensitive to anesthesia, which eventually reduces their life-span. Their small stomach needs to be fed with a maintained diet every three to four hours in order to regulate their healthy growth. Considering your indecision, we have mentioned some of the most important factors to be kept in mind while buying a puppy food for Yorkshire Terriers.
High-quality food with essential elements is preferable for Yorkshire Terrier. You must not settle with an inefficient diet in order to save some pennies. However, you can always take advantage of the discounts offered by the sellers for the same.
The meat-based source of protein must be the primary ingredient of the chosen diet. Further, ingredients like wholesome fruits and vegetables provide essential fibers, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. An optimal amount of calcium and phosphorus ensures stronger teeth and bones, while an excessive amount of the same can cause irregular growth. Added DHA supports their cognitive development, and glucosamine, along with Chondroitin, provides mobility support.
The ingredients must not include a vegetable-based protein source as it is not enough for their skeletal development. The diet should be a grain-free recipe without poultry by-products, preservatives, or artificial colors.
At least four cups of food per day are required to maintain a healthy weight of your young Yorkshire Terrier. An optimum protein-to-fat ratio ensures the same. An improper diet can get your Yorkshire Terrier prone to disabilities like hypoglycemia, collapsing trachea, and dental issues. Moreover, an underweight Yorkshire is more likely to suffer from diarrhea and other sensitivities, which results in their reduced life span. It is important to discuss with a veterinarian to know the daily calorie requirement of your Yorkshire Terrier.
Yorkshire Terrier’s human-like hairs make them hypoallergenic, i.e., they are less likely to get allergies. But due to the exceptions, you must prevent ingredients like grain, soy, poultry by-products, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. Some common ingredients like meat, beef, fruits, or vegetables can also act as an allergen. We suggest you seek advice from a veterinarian to know the accurate reason.
Whether you opt for wet dog food or dry dog food, you must ensure that your Yorkshire Terrier is getting enough calories and essential nutrients. We recommend you to opt for dry dog food because it fulfills the calorie requirement of your Yorkshire Terrier with a smaller amount of food. It is recommended to consult a veterinarian before selecting a specialized diet or any supplement.
- How Much Does A Yorkshire Terrier Cost?
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Dog Food for Yorkies
- Best Dog Toys for Yorkies
- Best Dog Crate for Yorkshire Terriers
- Best Dog Bed for Yorkshire Terriers
- Best Dog Brush for Yorkshire Terriers
- Best Dog Collar for Yorkshire Terriers
- Best Dog Harness for Yorkshire Terriers
- Best Dog Muzzle for Yorkshire Terriers
- Best Dog Shampoo for Yorkshire Terriers