Over ⅓ of all homes will use vitamin supplements for their dogs, mostly for older dogs suffering from joint pain and mobility issues. However, there is a wide range of dietary supplements available for dogs and some are made specifically for puppies to grow healthy and thrive in their environments. In this article, we share and discuss the 15 best supplements for puppies this year.
Why Look for the Best Dog Multivitamins?
In the same way that people need human supplements, your furry friend will also benefit from taking the right supplements which will improve their well-being and overall health. Canines can get the nutrition they’re missing from dog food through supplements that provide different vitamins and minerals along with other nutrients. For instance, a joint supplement can help to improve joint issues such as inflammation and arthritis, while added probiotics may help to support the immune system and improve digestion.
Other kinds of supplements for dogs include options for skin and coat, for seniors, for urinary problems, for calming your pet, and multivitamins for overall health. Below, we’ve gathered all the best and most popular multivitamins that dog owners swear by to provide for the different nutritional needs of their puppies.
The Best Supplements for Puppies
When you have a new pooch in your family, giving it puppy food won’t be enough. Be sure to give them a balanced diet by choosing the best vitamins and minerals that contain all the essential nutrients they need which are listed here.
- Formulated to assist with healthy digestion and improve your puppy’s appetite
- Made with an irresistible and mouth-watering chicken flavor
- These chew sticks contain no GMOs
- Made with the highest quality and safety standards in the USA
Help your puppy’s growth with Vets Preferred Probiotic Supplement for Dogs; these yummy treats have been formulated specially to aid digestion while increasing their energy and appetite. Every stick contains a concentration of 5 billion live probiotics with various strains of good bacteria to promote gut health while the Solarplast spinach extract helps to protect against damage from free radicals. These are great for pups in need of antibiotics to get their digestive system back on the right track — your pup is sure to love its delicious chicken flavor too!
- Formulated by US veterinarians for an active and growing puppy
- Contains essential vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, and amino acids
- Made to gradually release nutrients for a balanced absorption
- Includes a breath aid that will keep your pup’s breath smelling fresh
With the NaturVet VitaPet Puppy Plus Breath Aid Soft Chews Multivitamin, you can say hello to fresher play times with your puppy, no matter the time of day! These are formulated with the expertise of USA veterinarians who have formulated these for a growing and active puppy. All of these soft chews release vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, and amino acids that are released gradually to provide a balanced nutrient absorption.
- With an effective blend of minerals, vitamins, probiotics, and omegas
- Features premium and natural ingredients such as DHA and Beta-Carotene
- Free from any wheat, soy, or corn
- Made in the USA
These Puppy Multivitamins from PetHonesty are ideal for use in small puppies around 4 to 12 months of age, so they can feel their best! These delicious chews can help to provide your puppy with optimal nutrition and have been specially formulated to build the nutritional blocks that young puppies need during their growing stages. You’ll find that a combination of minerals, vitamins, probiotics, and omegas will deliver the best care for their brain, immune system, skin, gut, and joint health.
- Helps to support wellness through antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals
- These chewable tablets contain brewer’s yeast, making them naturally yummy
- The ideal supplement for your dog’s diet
- Proven safe through the National Animal Supplement Council
Using the Pro-Sense Dog Multivitamin, pet parents can cover all of the bases when it comes to their puppy’s needs since it contains a blend of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, and B vitamins, along with powerful antioxidants. As such, these tablets can help to support your pup’s overall wellness, boost energy levels, support coat and skin health, and strengthen your dog’s immune system. It has been developed to help your pup enjoy a healthy life and is also suitable for use in all life stages — it’s also proven safe and effective through the National Animal Supplement Council Quality Seal.
- With over 20 vitamins and minerals to complete your dog’s food and nutrition
- A tablet with a tasty meat flavor that can be given as is or crumbled over food
- Can help with nutritional deficiencies as a result of poor diet or appetite loss
- Meets the industry standards for vitamin and mineral supplements
To help your puppy get all the essential vitamins and minerals it needs, be sure to give it Pet-Tabs Plus Vitamin-Mineral Dog Supplement. It contains a total of 23 nutrients to meet the specific needs of your puppy while these easy-to-feed supplements come with the yummy taste of meat to ensure that your pooch will gobble it up. Thanks to the many nutrients it carries, it’s the perfect addition to your dog’s diet and can correct appetite loss, poor diet, or dogs on a raw diet.
- With phosphorus, calcium, vitamin D3, and vitamin A for growing puppies
- Helps to improve muscle strength and connective tissue for puppies
- Can also assist in providing relief from stiffness and pain in older dogs
- Provides your dog with proper nutrition in the form of a chewable tablet
It’s a good idea to use the PetAg Sure Grow 100 Vitamin Dog Supplement; these chewable tablets are great for dogs of all breeds thanks to their additional phosphorus and calcium. These are great for promoting stronger muscles and connective tissue in young pups, and may also be used to provide older dogs with pain relief from age-related conditions, helping them lead a happy life. The best part is that all of these health benefits come in a chewable tablet that you can easily mix with your puppy’s food.
- Formulated with chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine, MSM, and more for your dog’s health
- A well-loved brand in the industry known for more than 30 years
- With a veterinarian-approved formula that uses high-quality ingredients
- Chewable tablets that’s ideal for dogs no more than 60 pounds
These Dasuquin with MSM Chewable Tablets by Nutramax is one of the best glucosamine supplements in the market. It contains avocado and soybean unsaponifiable (ASU), chondroitin sulfate, and glucosamine hydrochloride to help with joint problems. MSM can provide sulfur for further support for your dog’s joint health and was made in the USA using globally sourced ingredients.
- Recommended by veterinarians to manage the dietary needs of puppies
- With probiotics to promote the work of digestive enzymes and support the digestive tract
- Contains antioxidants for a more robust immune system
- Comes in a convenient sachet that makes it easier to feed your best bud
Whether your puppy or your adult dogs have an upset stomach, you can set everything right again with the Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Supplements FortiFlora Dog Probiotic Supplement. Formulated to manage diarrhea in dogs, this food supplement carries many probiotics and healthy antioxidants that can be helpful when treating excessive gas in their system. This dog probiotic is veterinarian-recommended and will help to address health problems related to diarrhea and its symptoms.
- A multifunctional soft chew that supports puppies from 8 weeks to 1 year old
- With gut health and digestive blends for healthy digestion
- Has vitamins C and E to fight off free radicals, while cod liver oil supports cognitive function
- Contains B Complex vitamins and fish oil for essential fatty acids
The Puppy Bites 8-in-1 Supplement for Dogs by Zesty Paws are veterinarian-formulated soft chews that provide health benefits to various parts of the body. These include heart health, coat health, skin health, immune system, gut function, nervous system, hip and joint function, liver health, performance, and antioxidant activity. Compared to other fish oil supplements, these tasty treats also contain glucosamine chondroitin, omega-3 fatty acids, DHA, and EPA to give your puppy the best start to its life.
- Comes with a patented Z-shape which helps to improve chewing for dogs
- Made without animal-based ingredients that make a delicious vegan option
- The yummy taste makes it easy to use as a reward for training
- Helps to reduce plaque and tartar while it also freshens the breath
Your pooch deserves the best dog vitamins, so be sure to grab Virbac’s C.E.T. VeggieDent Fr3sh Tartar Control Dog Chews! With these plant-based chews, you can keep your dog’s health in check while promoting a more balanced digestive system. Thanks to their unique Z shape, these chewy supplements can help to eliminate tartar and plaque and are suitable for extra small dogs and puppies.
- These puppy vitamins contain a potent blend of nutrients to help your pooch thrive
- Comes in chewable vitamins enriched in antioxidants to fortify the immune system
- Suitable for both adult dogs and puppies, supporting your dog as it ages
- Helps to maintain heart and brain function as well as thicken your dog’s fur
The Wanderfound Pets Daily 10-in-1 Multivitamin and Glucosamine Liver Flavor Dog Supplement is a great way to give your dogs the right nutrients for their individual needs. Perfect for dogs of all ages, it comes with powerful ingredients such as glucosamine, biotin, and vitamins A to E to help provide your dog with a healthy diet. When used daily, you’ll be able to see an improvement in your dog’s coat, immunity, flexibility, energy, brain, and heart health.
- These chicken-flavored supplements are designed to give your pet the boost it needs
- With probiotics and digestive enzymes to help your puppy grow strong
- Features Omega 3 to nourish and strengthen your pooch’s coat and skin
- Made in USA without any soy, corn, or grain for dogs with sensitive stomachs
Give your puppy a huge boost in energy and help it grow strong with the Pet Parents Multivitamin SoftSupps 5-in-1 Multi-Vitamin Dog Supplement, which also contains Omega 3 for a lustrous skin and coat. With plenty of probiotifcs and digestive enzymes, your fur baby is sure to enjoy every meal without worrying about an upset tummy. It also helps to lower cholesterol levels and improve blood circulation for a happier and healthier heart.
- With Omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids to reduce skin allergies and strengthen their coat
- Features chondroitin and glucosamine to support your dog’s bones, joints, cartilage, and muscles
- Has digestive enzymes that help to break down food while promoting nutrient absorption
- Proudly made in the USA with essential minerals and vitamins
Your puppy should be protected from potential side effects from vitamins, so be sure to give them the Chew + Heal 4-In-1 Dog Supplement that will protect them from the inside and out. Using a potent formula that includes vitamins, minerals, and probiotics this supplement is able to keep its coat shiny, and joints healthy, while boosting your canine pal’s overall health. With the potent blend of chondroitin, glucosamine, and various omega fatty acids, these soft chews will benefit your dogs in more ways than one; it’s also effective and safe for dogs of all ages.
- Offers vitamins, minerals, and nutrients for strong bones, healthy tissue, and overall health
- With vitamins A, C, and E to support the immune system and heart health
- Formulated and recommended by vets specifically for puppies
- Contains no wheat and has been manufactured in the USA inside compliant facilities
Because puppies can grow exponentially, they need the right supplement that can keep up with their energy and bodily functions as they grow so don’t miss out on giving them these Waggedy Daily Essential Immune Support Puppy Supplements. These tasty treats contain vitamins and minerals that support the skin, coat, joints, heart, immunity, and digestion. This veterinarian-formulated supplement is full of all kinds of good stuff like omega fatty acids, vitamins, and other nutrients that are perfect for a growing puppy.
Bonus Supplement for Older Dogs
On the other end of the spectrum, if you have a senior dog that suffers from medical conditions such as hip dysplasia, inflammation, joint pain, and others, then you’ll want the option below.
- With more than 25 ingredients to support the body, this supplement can help maintain cognitive health and nerve functions
- Includes biotin to promote skin elasticity while encouraging a healthy coat
- Great for geriatric dogs to support liver, brain, eye, and heart functions
- Vegetable-flavored soft chews that can be fed as a treat or reward for everyday use
Using the VetriScience Canine Plus Senior Multivitamin Everyday Health Bite-Sized Dog Soft Chews, you can help your senior dog through its health issue and to stay in good health with more than 25 nutrients. With a focus on major body processes such as the brain, liver, and cardiovascular system, your old pal can keep the spring in its steps using this supplement. Many of the ingredients used in this supplement aren’t found in ordinary multivitamin supplements which can help your furry companion get the support it needs in its senior years.
How to Find the Best Supplements for Puppies
Pet owners with pets suffering from nutrient deficiencies should never use human vitamins for them. There’s a reason why dogs have specific supplements formulated for them in the market; their needs are distinct from our own, so they should be given the right nutrients for their bodies. Below are the most important things you will need to consider when looking for the best dog supplements.
According to veterinarians, it’s always a good idea to look for brands that have the National Animal Supplement Council (NASC) seal of approval. Before they can display this particular seal, a company will first need to meet many requirements, including the following:
- A monitoring system for all products
- Have high quality control standards
- Be ready for random testings
- Able to meet strict guidelines for labeling
It’s also important to choose a company that can provide research data for their products. The manufacturer must also be willing to send their certificate of analysis (COA) for every product.
It’s not easy to recognize each ingredient found inside dog supplements without doing prior research. Be sure to check for labels or ingredient lists and check that there are no filters, artificial flavors, preservatives, or colors included. You should also look for details on where the ingredients were taken from.
For instance, the packaging on Zesty Paws comes with clear packaging and notes that they don’t come with any preservatives, synthetic colors, or artificial flavors. Their products are also made in the United States with ingredients sourced from both the U.S. and throughout the world. You may also want to do research on the active ingredients in the products you choose, which can greatly help with particular conditions that your dog might have.
The right dog supplement for your canine buddy will vary depending on its individual needs. But there are a few general categories that you can look into that are highly beneficial for dogs, no matter their particular condition, which includes the following.
- Probiotics: These are live bacteria naturally found in the digestive system that help to effectively break down food and absorb their nutrients. This will then help to boost the immune system and improve digestion.
- Joint Supplements: Supplements for the joints are used to treat joint-related conditions such as arthritis and can help to reduce pain and inflammation while improving mobility.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: These are a healthy type of fat that’s commonly found in fish oil which contains anti-inflammatory properties. It can help to improve heart health, cognitive function, as well as joint health.
- Vitamins & Mineral Supplements: Known as essential nutrients, these are known to support the body and our overall health. Vitamins and minerals are available in a wide range of foods, but puppies may not be getting enough of them due to a poor diet.
- Antioxidants: These powerful supplements are used to fight against free radicals that can damage cells while reducing the risk for various diseases.
With so many different supplements for dogs, it can be difficult to choose the right one for your little puppy. During this stage in their lives, it’s crucial that they get the best care; food and supplements will take up a big chunk of their health routine, so be sure to provide them with the right vitamins and minerals for a strong body. Be sure to consider the benefits they can reap from a particular option while also looking into other important factors such as the ingredients used, available certifications, and the company behind it to ensure that your puppy gets what it deserves.