Graceful and regal, the elegant Borzoi looks more suited to laying on the credenza of a Roaring 20s Hollywood mansion than coursing wolves across the Russian steppe, but that is just what he was born to do. At one time, wolf hunting was the favorite sport of the Russian rulers, particularly the Romanov family, and they preferred to do so using their dedicated and loyal coursers, the Borzoi. In fact, the timeless novel War and Peace immortalizes a scene of a Borzoi led wolf chase.
When the Romanov dynasty was slaughtered, their beloved hounds were almost lost to history. Thanks to Borzoi lovers abroad, the breed was able to go through a resurgence. Though their days of hunting wolves are over, these impressive sighthounds remain a fixture in the canine world.
As one may expect, a dog must be rather large in order to chase and hold wolves. Borzoi males are usually at least 28 inches up to 32 inches tall at the withers, females slightly shorter. They weight anywhere from 75-105 pounds, though they pack this weight onto a sleek frame reminiscent of the more familiar greyhound. With a slender face and long tail, they are a picture of grace. Borzoi have a long coat that can be seen in a wide variety of colors and color combinations. The fur may be silky, wavy, or curly depending on the individual dog. This breed has muscular, long legs that enable them to run 35-40 miles per hour,.
Temperament & Personality
Borzoi are smart, but they are independent as well. They can make excellent family dogs, but they do not tolerate rough treatment, so children should be taught to avoid roughhousing and treat family pets with respect. Their large size can also make these dogs inadvertently dangerous to toddlers or small children (they may accidentally knock them over, for example).
Borzoi are gentle and quiet, not well suited for the position of watchdog, though they can appear menacing.
Small pets such as cats are not a good choice in the Borzoi environment, as they love to give chase due to their sighthound nature. However, they can get along with other dogs if need be.
Caring for the Borzoi
Though unique and in need of some regular attention, Borzoi are relatively fuss-free pets. They do have some demanding needs in terms of exercise and grooming, but are otherwise content to join their owners on the couch- a comfortable dog bed is a must for a Borzoi!
Borzoi eat a relatively small amount of food for their size, though it should be noted that puppies may eat more as they grow (and they grow rapidly!). Puppies should be fed food designed for their age range, updated as they grow. Dry or canned food is acceptable, depending on owner and dog preferences, with any high quality brand fitting the bill. One’s veterinarian can provide additional recommendations for individual pets.
Clean, fresh water should be provided at all times.
Borzoi can be very food motivated, therefore treats can be an excellent tool for training, though they should be awarded in moderation.
Regular exercise is a breed requirement. The AKC recommends that the Borzoi be allowed to roam freely in a securely fenced area for a minimum of a half hour each day. In addition, these dogs may enjoy on-leash walks or runs, playing fetch, or participating in agility, rally, or lure-coursing events.
Borzoi should not be allowed to roam loose or off-leash. Their sight-hunting instincts can result in instant takeoff after prey. At their incredible speeds, it doesn’t take long for a Borzoi to get lost or in trouble off-leash.
Due to their independent and sometimes stubborn nature, positive reinforcement training is highly recommended for the Borzoi. Some experts recommend using the breed’s love of running as a motivator or reward for training. These are very smart dogs, so consistent training will lead to success.
Borzoi show susceptibility to a short list of health issues, including wobbler syndrome, heart disease, thyroid problems, and eye problems. These can be identified and potentially treated through regular vet visits and monitoring, and sometimes even through breeder screening.
Some Borzoi are sensitive to anesthesia. This is usually identified quickly by veterinary surgeons and can be adjusted for at subsequent surgical procedures.
All dogs should visit a veterinarian at least annually for an updated medical exam and regular vaccines to keep their health optimal. Monthly flea and tick treatments can keep the dog’s coat and overall health in tip top shape.
Daily brushing is necessary with Borzoi’s luxuriant coat. The hair between the pads of the paws may also need regular trimming to prevent matting. If the individual is of the silky-coated type, the owner will find that pleasantly, mud and dirt don’t tend to stick, and bathing can be less frequent.
- Azawakh: A West African sighthound, this fine coated breed can come in any color or color combination. Traditionally owned by nomads, they were treated as a member of the family, sleeping and eating with the people they served and loved.
- Scottish Deerhound: Among the tallest of dog breeds, no one is sure about the origins of this swift hunter. Some wonder if they were around before the human hunters of Scotland, who used them to stalk 400 pound red deer.
- Saluki: With their soft, feathered ears, Saluki are one of the most beautiful and regal looking dog breeds. This made them a favorite among pharaohs and other ancient royals. They are one of the oldest types of modern dogs.
- Irish Wolfhound: This breed reigns supreme as the tallest of purebred dogs. They are courageous enough to chase and dispatch a wolf,but they are surprisingly affectionate. A motto once associated with them was “gentle when stroked, fierce when provoked”.
- Greyhound: The fastest sprinters in the canine galaxy, these well known racers originated among the Egyptians centuries ago. Known as the “40 miles per hour couch potatoes”, they are just as content to rest on their favorite cushion as chase rabbits.
Best Dog Food For Borzois
The best dog food for Borzois is Purina Pro Plan Adult Large Breed Chicken & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food. This chicken-based diet promotes healthy muscle conditioning. The generous amount of EPA and Glucosamine supports mobility as well as bone health.
- This highly digestible food ensures maximum nutrient absorption to keep the dogs fit in the long run.
- This 407Kcal/cup diet combines around 12% of fat and 26% of protein.
- This specially designed dry dog food ensures prebiotic support and antioxidant support.
Best Puppy Food For Borzois
To help the puppies in overall development, well-balanced commercial food and exercise are a must, so according to us, the best puppy food for Borzois is Merrick Grain-Free Puppy Chicken & Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food. Along with the chicken, the dry puppy food also contains salmon meal, turkey meal, alfalfa meal, peas, and so on. The higher level of chondroitin makes the diet good for healthy hip and joint bone development.
- Made out of 5 ingredients only, the puppy food is good for a healthy brain and eyes.
- This farm-based diet keeps the stomach full between lunch and dinner.
- Around 60% of the recipe is only protein and fat.
Best Dog Bed For Borzois
The best dog bed for Borzois is Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed, as this basket bed ensures an uninterrupted sleep for your Borzoi. This cozy slumber zone has a lower entry so that dogs can easily jump on it. This modern bed features a super-soft removable cushion and jacquard bolsters.
- The fluffy polyester filling makes the bed extra comfortable for weary dogs.
- This two-piece fashionable bed is gorgeous from the inside out.
- The machine-washable convoluted foam relaxes the painful body of dogs.
Best Dog Crate For Borzois
The best dog crate for Borzois is EliteField 3-Door Collapsible Soft-Sided Dog Crate. This elegant covered crate features rolling curtains, adjustable handles, and so on. All the 11 colors of this crate are super attractive and complement any interior décor.
- This sturdy easy to assemble crate is ideal for short trips via car.
- There are multiple entrance ways for the dog.
- The two-year limited warranty makes the crate model an appropriate choice for budget-friendly crate shopping.
Best Dog Harness For Borzois
The best dog harness for Borzois is Puppia Black Trim Polyester Back Clip Dog Harness for its vest-like comfortable design. This convenient and durable harness features an easy release chest belt and metal rings for tag attachment. A neck opening design takes only a second to put the harness on and take it off.
- Apart from camo, the harness model is also available in royal blue, red, and beige.
- The core material of this padded harness is supreme quality polyester.
- This stylish harness keeps the dog close to its owners and facilitates the training sessions.
Best Dog Collar For Borzois
As most of the dog experts recommend, the best dog collar for Borzois is PetSafe Nylon Martingale Dog Collar. This double loop collar comes in four classic colors, and polished hardware parts enhance the canine beauty. This premium martingale collar deters choking and neck strains.
- Ideal for growing dogs, this nylon collar lasts several summers.
- Due to its convoluted design, it is difficult for dogs to figure out how to escape the collar.
- This safe and comfortable collar doesn’t restrict the physical movements at all.
Best Dog Muzzle For Borzois
To check dogs’ destructive behavior, the best dog muzzle for Borzois is Coastal Pet Products Best Fit Adjustable Comfort Dog Muzzle. This pre-holed fabric muzzle lets the dogs lap water and eat their treats with the muzzle on. This spectacular dog muzzle features the use of elastic to ensure a comfortable fit so that it doesn’t fall off while running outside.
- The thoughtful design of the muzzle ensures unhindered breathing and panting.
- This nylon muzzle lets the sweat drop evaporate easily.
- This super-soft fabric muzzle stands machine wash on a gentle cycle.
Best Dog Toy For Borzois
The best dog toy for Borzois is KONG Tug Dog Toy because it is perfect for physical stimulation and strength training in dogs. This legendary red tug toy is made of stretchable and durable rubber material. The double ring design of the toy ensures vigorous pulling and chewing.
- This high-quality toy is made with control-flex technology.
- Dogs with their mouth can pick up this flexible toy.
- This safe dog toy is appropriate for both indoor and outdoor fun.
Best Dog Brush For Borzois
As most of the vets recommend, the best dog brush for Borzois is Safari Wire Pin Brush for Dogs. This light green pinned brush has a white coating on top of the pins to discourage poking and other injuries. If you brush in the direction of the hairline, it will significantly contribute to hair growth.
- The brush shakes off the dust and debris from the surface, making the coat fluffy once again.
- This safari product gently distributes the oil and helps your dog look attractive.
- This grooming kit removes the knots and makes the fur soft deterring further tangling.
Best Dog Shampoo For Borzois
The best dog shampoo for Borzois is PetAg Fresh ‘N Clean Tropical Fresh 2-in-1 Oatmeal Dog Shampoo & Conditioner for its excellent long-lasting freshness. The gentle rubbing with this mild shampoo improves the quality of hair fiber. If your dog is suffering from itchiness, redness, and other skin issues, this dog shampoo is ideal for alleviating all its dermatological discomforts.
- It helps the dog feel relaxed, and the bathing session can be counted as a bonding moment between you two.
- Such a refreshing dog shampoo can be applied simultaneously with other medications.
- This shampoo keeps the fur tangle-free and lessens the hair fall.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Automatic Dog Feeder
- Best Interactive Dog Toys
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog House
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Dog Treat
- Best Automatic Fetch Machine
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Food Container
- Best Electronic Dog Door
- Best Dog Ramp
- Best Dog Cooling Vest
- Best GPS Tracker for Dogs
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Dog Cooling Pad
- Best Indestructible Dog Bed
- Best Dog Training Book
- 10 Breeds Most Compatible with Borzois