Can Puppies Eat Grapes?

This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links, at no cost to you.

Can Puppies Eat GrapesIf your dog somehow got its hands on a few grapes, the number of grapes it has eaten doesn’t matter; you should be concerned because grapes can have a toxic effect on dogs. Learning more about this toxic food for dogs along with symptoms of grape toxicity will help you determine whether your dog has serious health problems and whether it’s time to visit your vet. In this article, we answer, “Can puppies eat grapes?”  

Can Puppies Eat Grapes? 

All varieties of grapes, including green grapes, red grapes, purple grapes, as well as seeded and seedless grapes are toxic to canines. Moreover, all products related to grapes are also included, such as raisin bran cereal, grape juice, grape jellies, wine, and currants but there’s no explanation why. Many experts speculate that the reason behind this is due to tartaric acid, a toxic substance that fungus and mold produce, or it could be because of a salicylate drug that may be causing issues in dogs. 

What to Do if Your Puppy Eats a Grape

There’s no specific dose that will let you determine whether or not your dog will suffer severe effects — it will vary by each individual dog since they have their own sensitivities to various foods. Remember that the more raisins, currants, and grapes your pup eats, the more sick it will get, and even a small amount can make your dog feel unwell. Even if your pooch only eats a single grape, it’s a good idea to call your veterinarian or the pet poison helpline at (855) 764-7661. 

They should be able to tell you the signs of grape toxicity to look out for. 

Symptoms of Grape Poisoning in Puppies

Whether you have a puppy or an adult dog that has gotten its hands on grapes, currants, or raisins, there are a few early signs you can look for to see if it’s necessary to take it to the vet. Clinical signs of raisin poisoning include: 

  • Abdominal pain
  • Excessive urination
  • Loss of appetite
  • Excessive drinking 
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Weakness
  • Dehydration
  • Lethargy
  • Bad breath
  • Increased urine production at first, then a decrease in urination followed by a sudden kidney failure

In general, you should be able to see symptoms around 12 to 24 hours after the ingestion of grapes, currants, raisins, or grape juice. If you see that something’s off with your dog, be sure to contact your veterinarian right away; if they’re closed, take your young pup to an animal hospital and seek immediate treatment. Raisin toxicity may lead to kidney damage and when left untreated, may result in acute kidney failure as well as death in severe cases.  

How Grape Poisoning is Treated

The first thing your vet will try is to prevent any more problems in your dog’s kidneys and then they’ll try to restore kidney function to normal. They’ll try their best to make your pooch vomit out the grape and provide activated charcoal to stop the absorption of the toxin into the intestines. Fluid therapy or intravenous fluids may be administered to protect your dog from acute kidney injury. 

If you decide to call your veterinarian, they may suggest giving your pup immediate treatment from your home through the use of a hydrogen peroxide solution with a dose of 1 teaspoon for every 5 pounds of body weight. This should induce vomiting but dog owners should never do anything without guidance from their vet first. 

How to Prevent Grape Poisoning in Puppies

All pet owners, especially new dog owners, should be mindful of how much access dogs have to human foods while keeping any type of grape away in a safe place out of reach of your pets. Before sharing new foods with your puppy, be sure to check the ingredients, because you might be surprised at which foods contain grape jelly or other grape products. It’s also worth remembering to teach your children to avoid giving grapes to their puppies and to help them understand why it’s bad for dogs.  

Can Puppies Recover on Their Own After Eating Grapes? 

It can be scary to discover that your canine friends have eaten grapes, they may be fine and may not need any medical treatment. However, if they do ingest grapes, the best course of action is to take them to the vet straight away. If your dog ate grapes, everything will depend on the amount of grapes it ate, how fast it’s treated, its sensitivity to grapes, and whether or not it has kidney failure. 

Your dog’s size will also factor into its chances of survivability, since the bigger the dog is, the more grapes it will need to ingest before incurring serious damage. However, if your dog experiences kidney damage and fails to produce urine, its life could be in danger since the kidneys can’t repair themselves. 

What Kinds of Fruits Can Puppies Eat?

Even if dogs can’t eat grapes, there are other types of fruits that puppies can eat. Fortunately, dogs can eat a wide variety of fruits, which include: 

  • Apples (except for seeds)
  • Bananas
  • Blueberries
  • Cranberries
  • Pineapple
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberries

Just keep in mind that some dogs will have sensitivities to some of these foods, so your safest bet is to give your pooch limited amounts and stop feeding them right away if they seem allergic. Moreover, because fruits come with sugars, the best way to keep them safe is to limit how much they’re fed. If a certain fruit comes with seeds then be sure to remove them, which is especially true for apples since these have seeds that are toxic to puppies.  

Bottom Line

Pet parents should know that apart from being a choking hazard, grapes are also lethal to dogs in large doses, and even in small quantities can cause damage to a dog’s health. As such, this forbidden fruit should never be within your dog’s reach and it should be taken to the vet’s office if it ever ingests any. An alternative healthy snack for your dog is some fruits or a trail mix that contains no grape product.

 

Sources