The Dandie Dinmont Terrier originated sometime around 1700 in the Cheviot Hills between England and Scotland. The breed was created to work on farms as an exterminator of vermin such as otters, badgers, and rodents. In 1815 Sir Walter Scott, a renowned Scottish novelist, wrote Guy Mannering, a novel in which a character named Dandie Dinmont keeps a pack of pepper and mustard-colored terriers.
Dandie Dinmont’s character was based on the real-life James Davidson, who’s 6 terriers are considered by some to be the founding members of the breed. This is how to Dandie Dinmont Terriers received their unique name.
Originally recognized by the American Kennel Club in 1888, today the Dandie Dinmont Terrier is ranked number 176 in popularity of the 193 AKC-recognized breeds and categorized in the Terrier Group.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE DANDIE DINMONT TERRIERS
What characteristics define the Dandie Dinmont Terrier? Read on to discover what physical attributes and personality traits make the Dandie Dinmont Terrier such a unique breed.
Dandie Dinmont Terriers are easily identified by their long torso, short stature and large head covered with long, silky white hair. Dandies have long, hanging ears tipped with feathering and big, round eyes. The coat is crisp, with hair at least 2 inches long, and may present as Mustard (reddish brown to pale fawn) or Pepper (bluish black to silvery gray) in coloration, according to the AKC.
Dandie Dinmont Terriers are built to go to ground, so they should weigh no more 24 lbs (ideally 18-24), standing 8-11 inches high at the withers (top of the shoulder).
Dandie Dinmont Terriers are typical terriers in some respects: independent, intelligent, and bold, with a lot of personality mixed in. They are affectionate with people they know and slightly aloof with strangers. Unlike many terrier breeds, Dandies are not typically “barkers.” Though they will bark an alarm, they do not bark incessantly, though when they do their bark is deep and loud for such a small dog.
Dandies are also not as high-strung as many terrier breeds, nor do they seem to exhibit the “Napoleon Complex” many terriers are famous for. This is not to say that Dandies will back down from a fight if they are pushed too far; Dandies may not start a fight but they will finish it.
Dandies are gentle with children and thoroughly enjoy a family setting, whether it be on a country farm or adapting to city life.
Dandie Dinmont Terriers have a life expectancy of 12-15 years.
CARING FOR A DANDIE DINMONT TERRIER
Understanding and maintaining a Dandie Dinmont Terrier’s particular needs will lead to a longer, healthier life for your dog and a more enjoyable partnership for both dog and owner. Read on to learn more about the nutrition, exercise, training, and health requirements of a thriving Dandie Dinmont Terrier to ascertain whether this is the right breed for you.
Dandie Dinmont Terriers thrive on high-quality dog food specially formulated for small breeds to promote a healthy weight. Whether commercial or manually prepared, diets should be appropriately tailored to an individual based on age (puppy, senior, etc) and activity level. Many dog foods have serving suggestions on their packaging, but monitoring food intake and body condition, as well as consulting with your veterinarian, are all simple ways to make sure your dog is receiving the nutrition he or she requires.
Dandie Dinmont Terriers do best exercising 30 minutes, twice each day to maintain optimum health, whether its a brisk walk or a play session in the backyard. Dandies are built long and low, so they are not a fit jogging partner. This breed was bred to hunt and will not hesitate to dart after prey, so a Dandie should always be leashed or in a securely-fenced area when outside.
Like all terriers, Dandies are intelligent, adaptable, and stubborn. This leads to a willful, confident companion who may take a little more training with an equally-stubborn human. Like all dogs, training and socialization during puppyhood are essential to a well-rounded pup. Puppy classes are a great way to start training and socializing a new puppy early on. At a minimum, your Dandie Dinmont Terrier should learn basic obedience commands such as sit, stay, and come. Training a Dandie works best with a focus on positive reinforcement. Consistent training and patience are key to successfully raising a well-behaved Dandie Dinmont Terrier.
Due to their strong familial ties, Dandie Dinmont Terriers left alone for long periods of time can resort to undesirable behaviors. Some of these behaviors can be mitigated by providing access to puzzles and interactive toys.
Although no breed is completely disease-free, Dandie Dinmont Terriers come pretty close. A few individuals have developed lymphoma, but otherwise, the breed is not known for any common ailments.
Ears should be checked and cleaned regularly, as their length and proximity to the ground can sometimes lead to infections. Brush teeth regularly using a toothpaste specifically designed for dogs. Make sure to take your Dandie to the vet for regular checkups and your dog should live a long, healthy life.
This breed’s coat does not shed but does require daily grooming with a dog brush to avoid matting. Your Dandie’s coat should be groomed to remove dead hair a few times each year. This can be done by hand or using a special stripping tool. Long hair can be “plucked” using thumb and forefinger periodically to maintain a groomed appearance.
Other breeds similar to the Black Russian Terrier include:
Best Dog Food For Dandie Dinmont Terriers
To keep the dog agile and active throughout its life, a good quality dog food can go a long way, and the best dog food for Dandie Dinmont Terriers is Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food. This mineral-rich commercial diet promotes healthy and sturdy muscle. This high-calorie food is crafted with chicken, fish, pea, etc.
- The chicken fat makes the food lip-smacking, and to preserve it, tocopherol is added to the food.
- Taurine and other vitamin supplements make the food perfect for a healthy heart.
- Rosemary oil is another natural preservative added to it to store the food for multiple weeks.
Best Puppy Food For Dandie Dinmont Terriers
Puppies need more calories and protein to supply them with enormous stamina to play all day long, and the best puppy food for Dandie Dinmont Terriers is Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula Puppy Dry Dog Food. This specially formulated food combines canola meal, fish meal, barley, oatmeal, etc., to fill the stomach for long hours. The sunflower oil promotes nourished skin and a glowing coat.
- This extraordinary fish diet accelerates the growth of some intestinal bacteria, thereby promoting a well-functioning digestive system.
- Calcium and phosphorus are good for teeth and bone development.
- This vitamin-A rich diet encourages a healthy immune system.
Best Dog Bed For Dandie Dinmont Terriers
Dogs need a frequent break between training sessions to relax for a while, and for this purpose, the best dog bed for Dandie Dinmont Terriers is Precision Pet Products SnooZZy Round Shearling Bolster Dog Bed. The easy to fold up the design of the bed makes it portable, and it fits anywhere. This luxury cushion bed is wrapped with soft bolsters.
- Due to its geometric print, the bed complements any room design.
- This soft fabric bed can be put on a washing machine but not on a dryer.
- The insulation layer keeps the bed warm and cool in winter and summer, respectively.
Best Dog Crate For Dandie Dinmont Terriers
A good dog crate accommodates the dog and helps it deal with its separation anxiety, and the best dog crate for Dandie Dinmont Terriers is Go Pet Club Single Door Collapsible Soft-Sided Dog Crate. This soft polyester crate can be easily folded down to a portable shape. A regular size fleece floor pad fits the crate, and as a result, dogs can feel at home.
- This convenient dog crate comes in six sizes only.
- This order arrives at your doorstep with a carrying case and a removable cover.
- The use of PVC makes the crate water-resistant and protects against other weather conditions.
Best Dog Harness For Dandie Dinmont Terriers
To facilitate the training process, every dog owner needs a dog harness, and the best dog harness for Dandie Dinmont Terriers is Best Pet Supplies Voyager Army Base Mesh Dog Harness. This breathable and easy-to-use harness makes way for the sweat to escape. Both the D rings are attached on the back.
- One can adjust the whole fit with the help of black straps.
- The quick-release buckle helps in easy on and off.
- This lightweight vest harness allows free body movement.
Best Dog Collar For Dandie Dinmont Terriers
In our opinion, the best dog collar for Dandie Dinmont Terriers is Blueberry Pet 3M Spring Pastel Polyester Reflective Dog Collar. The pastel orange, misty blue, baby pink, and pastel green are the options available for this flexible and durable model. This eco-friendly fabric collar is stitched with light color thread, which is good for visibility in low light.
- This machine-washable collar looks stunning on your dog.
- Though the D ring is silver coated, the other components are made of matching color.
- The collar doesn’t restrict the proper blood circulation or cause any visible harm to it.
Best Dog Muzzle For Dandie Dinmont Terriers
The best dog muzzle for Dandie Dinmont Terriers is Four Paws Walk-About Quick-Fit Dog Muzzle as it turns your Dandie Dinmont Terrier into a new leaf with modified behavior and improved social skills. Found in seven sizes, the muzzle is effective in checking the excessive chewing habit and biting instinct. This classic black muzzle combines minimal straps for attaining proper fit.
- This safe and secure dog muzzle lasts for years if used delicately.
- This professional muzzle keeps the jaw closed during grooming hair and vet checkups.
- Perfect for any breed of dog, the muzzle is well-ventilated and deters suffocation.
Best Dog Toy For Dandie Dinmont Terriers
A good dog toy has the potential to change the intellectual standard of the dogs, and the best dog toy for Dandie Dinmont Terriers is KONG Plush Teddy Bear Dog Toy. Made with non-toxic material, the toy features an easy-to-replace squeaker. It is a relief for dog owners that they won’t have to worry about safety and cleaning, as the toy has minimal filling material.
- This supreme quality toy can stand heavy chewing.
- This squeaky toy entices the dogs for days.
- One can use a damp cloth or baby wipe to clean the toy.
Best Dog Brush For Dandie Dinmont Terriers
If you are fed up with the messy coat of your handsome dog, it’s time to purchase a high-quality brush, and the best dog brush for Dandie Dinmont Terriers is Petkin Soft Grip Bamboo Two-Sided Dog Brush. This dual-purpose brush redistributes oils and ensures a glowing surface coat. The long green handle prevents slippage and reduces arm fatigue.
- The bristles painlessly remove all the tangles and promote a smooth fur.
- The stainless-steel pins massage the entire body reaching the deep undercoat.
- This 2 in 1 brush is apt for long fur and a dense coat.
Best Dog Shampoo For Dandie Dinmont Terriers
A good refreshing shampoo helps your dog maintain a soft coat. According to our team of vets, the best dog shampoo for Dandie Dinmont Terriers is Sulfodene Medicated Dog Shampoo & Conditioner, 12-oz. This aloe shampoo soothes the itchy skin and stops flaking forever. This medical-grade shampoo also deeply conditions the skin and eliminates odor from the body.
- This regular shampoo diminishes scaling and leaves behind a healthy fluffy coat.
- This mild shampoo moistens the coat and is effective for hair growth.
- The shampoo combines 2% of tar solution for better cleaning.
- How Much Does A Dandie Dinmont Terrier Cost?
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Automatic Dog Feeder
- Best Interactive Dog Toys
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog House
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Dog Treat
- Best Automatic Fetch Machine
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Food Container
- Best Electronic Dog Door
- Best Dog Ramp
- Best Dog Cooling Vest
- Best GPS Tracker for Dogs
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Dog Cooling Pad
- Best Indestructible Dog Bed
- Best Dog Training Book
- 10 Breeds Most Compatible with Dandie Dinmont Terriers