The Standard Border Schnollie is a medium-sized hybrid dog and is a mixture of two dog breeds. This dog has exceptionally high energy levels and is typically a working dog. The dog likes to participate in different activities and craves attention and love.
The Standard Border Schnollie is also a dog that loves exercise and craves attention. However, while the Standard Border Schnollie is a lovely companion, it can be stubborn.
In this article, we will address different questions related to the Standard Border Schnollie and discuss its background.
Standard Border Schnollie’s History
The Standard Border Schnollie is a hybrid breed and is a combination of purebred Border collie and Standard Schnauzer. Ratters were commonly known to breed Standard Schnauzers, and they were produced for ratting, guarding, and herding purposes. Initially, this species was bred in Scotland and England and would later be bred in different parts of the world.
The standard Border Schnollie was also crossed with different breeds to produce Giant Schnauzer and Mini Schnauzer. The ancestors of this dog are Black and Wolfspitz German poodles.
These dogs were used by German armies to aid Red Cross workers and are also used by police officers. The Standard Border Schnollie arrived in America in the 1900s. The Schnauzer Club of America was founded in 1925.
Standard Border Schnollie Characteristics
Most people mistakenly assume that a hybrid dog will be an exact copy of its parents. While sometimes this may be the case, most dogs get their traits and characteristics from either their mother or father.
The Standard Border Schnollie is highly intelligent and athletic. The dog’s color ranges from tan to grey, brown, and black. The Standard Border Schnollie is a medium-sized dog, and here are its characteristics:
How big can a Standard Border Schnollie Get?
- Height (Males): 46 to 51 cm (18 to 20 inches)
- Height (Females): 43 to 48 cm (17 to 19 inches)
- Weight (Male): 35 to 58 pounds (16 to 18 kilograms)
- Weight (Female): 30 to 45 pounds (14 to 20 kilograms)
- Length (Male): 74 to 86 cm (29 to 34 inches)
- Length (Female): 71 to 81 cm (28 to 32 inches)
How long can a Standard Border Schnollie Live?
The typical lifespan for Standard Border Schnollie is ten to sixteen years. However, if you care for your dog correctly, you can increase its lifespan. Healthy Standard Border Schnollie can live up to eight to twenty years.
How much does a Standard Border Schnollie Cost?
The typical price range of Standard Border Schnollie can go up to 4000 dollars. However, these dogs can also cost as little as 600 dollars.
Standard Border Schnollie Personality/Temperament
Typically, the Standard Border Schnollie is full of energy and is always eager to please its owner. However, these dogs can also be anxious or nervous. They can bark at strangers or when they don’t want to be left alone.
To ensure that your dog is not anxious, you will need to train him and get him to exercise. Exercising and training will also enhance the confidence of the dog. If you are thinking of getting the Standard Border Schnollie, buy a socialized pup. Since you are the dog’s new owner, he will show anxiousness and stubbornness until properly trained and acclimated to his new home.
Standard Border Schnollie’s Nutrition
When it comes to nutrition and diet, you need to ensure that your dog gets a balanced diet. The diet can include raw meaty bones, vegetables, fish, dairy products, meats, and eggs. Have trouble giving your dog what he needs? Check out the 5 Best Products for Borders.
However, please keep grain away from the Border Schnollie because they cannot digest it. You can also feed your Border Schnollie organic dog food, and if your dog has a delicate stomach, you can provide him dog food for sensitive stomachs.
How do you Groom a Standard Border Schnollie?
The Border Schnollie is a low-maintenance dog, and you will only need to brush its coat about two-three times a week with a brush or a metal comb. In addition, you only have to give a bath to your dog once a week or when he gets dirty.
Activity Levels for Standard Border Schnollie
Both parents of Border Schnollie are full of energy and like staying active. So it doesn’t come as a surprise that the Border Schnollie is always busy, and you should get him to exercise.
These clever dogs love being involved in activities, as it provides them a chance to use their brain. You can also enroll the dog in agility classes. Here are some activities you can do with the dog:
- Freestyle events
- Toss and Fetch
- Enroll him in disc dog competition
However, you need to know that exercise is not optional for dogs; they should be involved in some activity daily.
Health Concerns for Standard Border Schnollie
Since hybrids dogs are a new breed, there is little information about the health issues that they can face. In addition, since these dogs inherit genes from two different brees, they might also inherit various health issues. To ensure that your dog is always free of fleas, use the flea treatment for dogs.
Some common health concerns that the Standard Border Schnollie can encounter are:
- Pancreatitis: The Standard Border Schnollie inherits this health issue from the Schnauzer, as the breed is prone to pancreatitis. Mild pancreatitis will lead to vomiting and might even stop the dog from eating its food. Severe pancreatitis can even lead to organ failure or collapse.
- Diabetes Mellitus: This is another health issue that the Standard Border Schnollie inherits from the Schnauzer. In this illness, the blood sugar of the dog can rise because the hormone that controls blood sugar doesn’t work correctly. So you might have to give your dog insulin.
Breeds Similar to a Standard Border Schnollie
- Shetland Sheepdog
- Scotch Collie
- Belgian Tervuren
- Belgian Sheepdog
- Bergamasco Sheepdog
- Japanese Spitz
Best Dog Food For Standard Border Schnollie
The best dog food for Standard Border Schnollie is Merrick Real Texas Beef + Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food. This diet also comprises salmon meal, lamb, whitefish meal, beef liver, pork fat, alfalfa meal, etc., for strong muscle and body strength. Packed with 34% of crude protein, the dog meal enhances the metabolic rate of the body, and it provides several eye benefits.
- The refreshing diet provides whole-body support with glucosamine and other natural ingredients.
- Mixed tocopherol, and other natural extracts to help preserve the food for a few weeks.
- The 379 kcal/cup dog food is a poultry-free recipe.
Best Puppy Food For Standard Border Schnollie
The best puppy food for Standard Border Schnollie is Purina ONE SmartBlend Healthy Puppy Formula. Crucial for vision and brain development, the puppy meal can be a rich source of glucosamine which helps the dog run and walk freely. Made of real juicy chicken, soybean, corn, fish oil etc., the puppy kibbles melt inside the dog’s mouth and provide sufficient energy to the body.
- Beef fat, fish oil, and other vegetable fats nourish the skin of your body.
- Due to its 3% of crude fiber, the puppy meal is quite good for digestion.
- The high-protein dog food includes no filler.
Best Dog Bed For Standard Border Schnollie
The best dog bed for Standard Border Schnollie is Armarkat Dog Pillow Bed w/Removable Cover. The comfy sleeping bed has a plush top layer, and for the edges, the manufacturers use red heavy-duty canvas material. The polyfill bed has a water-resistant bottom, and it is eco-friendly in nature.
- The bolster bed can stand machine-wash.
- The non-skid pet bed is manufactured in multiple sizes.
- This fleece bed has a zippered cover for protecting the foam core from dust and dirt.
Best Dog Crate For Standard Border Schnollie
The best dog crate for Standard Border Schnollie is Paws & Pals Oxgord Double Door Collapsible Wire Dog Crate. The spacious pet crate can accommodate any dog regardless of its size and age. Ideal for house training, the crate is electro-coated on the exterior part, and it provides a high level of durability.
- Made of high-tensile steel wires, the crate controls the anxiety and other mental issues of your Standard Border Schnollie.
- The collapsible dog crate effectively controls the stress and anxiety of your hybrid Schnollie.
- This double-door den features an ABS tray, puppy divider, and a padded handle.
Best Dog Harness For Standard Border Schnollie
The best dog harness for Standard Border Schnollie is Puppia Polyester Back Clip Dog Harness. The flexible daily harness has air-mesh padding all over the interior part, and thus increases the comfort level. The quick-release harness features D rings, hooks, chest, etc.
- The manufacturers use cotton and polyester to craft the harness, so dogs can wear it during hot summer as well.
- The back-clip harness features a comfortable neck opening facility.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Automatic Dog Feeder
- Best Interactive Dog Toys
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog House
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Dog Treat
- Best Automatic Fetch Machine
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Food Container
- Best Electronic Dog Door