Even when you brush and bathe your dog regularly, you might still notice all the bits and pieces of fur around your home. But don’t lose hope — there’s still a way for you to ensure that your house is free from your dog’s hair. In this extensive guide, we talk about the 15 best vacuums for dogs that shed and share everything you need to know about buying the right type of vacuum.
Why Invest in Vacuums for Dog Fur?
You love playing with your pup, snuggling with him, and just spending time together. He’s your best friend, and you couldn’t imagine life without your companion. However, there’s probably one thing that you could do without; all of that pet hair!
Most dogs, even those that aren’t supposed to (like West Highland White Terriers, Dachshunds, Doberman Pinschers, and Great Danes) will shed. If you have a long-haired dog, such as a German Shepherd, a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, a Poodle, or a Siberian Husky, then shedding is something that you have to deal with on a regular basis. Needless to say, no matter what type of dog you have, pet hair removal can be a real battle.
Bathing him with a high-quality dog shampoo, brushing him with the best dog brush, and even trimming his coat with a great pair of professional-grade dog grooming clippers can keep their hair under control. But the fact is that you’re still going to find hair on your hardwood floors, furniture, and clothing. That means that you’re going to have to get accustomed to vacuuming.
While you can definitely use a standard vacuum to clean up that pet hair, it probably isn’t going to do much as far as cleaning goes. That’s because regular vacuums aren’t designed to offer the suction power that’s needed to effectively collect dog hair. Pet hair vacuums, however, are specifically made to suck up and clean pet hair down to the last strand.
Generally, a good vacuum for dog hair will have more powerful motors, more cleaning tools, and advanced features, such as filtration systems, to help you rid your home of both pet hair and human hair. If you’ve never used one before, you’ll notice a major difference between your standard vacuum and a dog hair vacuum the moment you switch!
Best Dog Beds for Chewers
Below are our top picks of the best vacuum cleaners for dog owners who may be struggling with cleaning pet hair. No matter your needs and preferences, you can rest easy knowing that any of the choices below have been ranked highly by pet lovers just like yourself.
- Comes with a dirt cup capacity of 0.75 liters
- Has an agile and lightweight design, yet powerful
- Equipped with a tangle-free brush roll to combat long hair
- With a Smart Seal Allergen System to trap allergens
Allergy sufferers are sure to find the BISSELL Pet Hair Eraser Turbo Plus Lightweight Vacuum a delight. With the Smart Seal Allergen System, it traps allergens and dust while the optional Febreze filter keeps odors away to keep your home as fresh as possible. Those who hate touching the yucky parts of a vacuum will appreciate the Cyclonic Pet Hair Spooling System, which allows you to empty your unit completely hands-free!
Offering powerful suction that works edge-to-edge on both low and high-pile carpets, hard surfaces, and area rugs, each section of your home will be treated to its brush roll feature. It’s also great for reaching messes through the specialized pet tools included such as the 2-in-1 Pet Dusting Brush, Pet Turbo Eraser Tool, and LED Crevice Tool. You’ll also be happy to know that each purchase from Bissell can help to save pets — the Bissell Pet Foundation works to care for homeless pets.
- Weighs no more than 7 pounds, making it ultra lightweight
- It never loses suction, operating on 500 watts of power
- Offers versatile cleaning from floor to ceiling
- Suitable for both floors and carpets with swivel steering
This entry by Shark Rocket provides a strong case for the best pet vacuum since it offers so much value at an affordable price. It promises to never lose its suction or its power, delivering all the advantages of an upright vacuum without weighing as much as one! It can clean hard floors and deep clean carpets while its swivel-steering capability allows for swift maneuverability around furniture and tight spaces.
Its key features include versatility that allows it to clean from the floor to the ceiling, while the wand allows users to reach places. The Shark Rocket Ultra-Light Corded Bagless Vacuum can also be used like a handheld vacuum for cleaning furniture and stairs, and the slim design is helpful for cleaning underneath furniture. Finally, you’ll love that it comes with a pet hair tool, a crevice tool, a dust-away tool with a microfiber pad, and a dusting brush.
- Two-motor system provides powerful suction and brush rotation
- Traps 99.97% of dust and dirt within the vacuum
- Comes with 4 functional attachments on the unit for quick access
- With 4 height adjustment levels for improved cleaning efficiency
When it comes to bagged canister vacuums, not many will be able to reach the standards set by the Kenmore 600 Series models. Its multipurpose design allows it to be used anywhere around the home, including the kitchen, den, garage, and even your car. It comes with a unique feature — a 2-motor system that provides strong suction, while the triple HEPA filter system retains 99. 97% of dirt in the vacuum.
The extension wand provides access to areas that are difficult to reach, while the 28’ long hose is retractable and lightweight, making it perfect for cleaning a variety of surfaces. The exclusive Pop-N-Go Brush also provides ease of use, while three additional attachments — the dirt brush, crevice tool, and bare floor tool — are also included. These accessories fit right in the vacuum and help to eliminate tangles on the brush, while the 4 height levels offer better reach.
- Comes with a 10-foot hose and a removable wand
- Includes the Spin4Pro Premium Brush Tool for hardwood and carpet
- Features a low-profile design for easy steering
- Has an affordable price tag compared to other options
The Dirt Devil Razor Pet Steerable Bagless Upright Vacuum might just be the best upright vacuum due to its sterling reputation as one of the most trusted names in the industry. Boasting its powerful, no-suction loss technology, you’ll be able to maintain a thorough cleaning for every room around the house. Its Spin4Pro Premium Brushroll provides plenty of power that makes it a good choice for taking a pass through hardwood floors and carpets.
Moreover, it’s been designed to keep low to the ground so you can get under furniture without any problems while the swivel steering helps to move around the room. The 2-in-1 dusting and crevice tool as well as the powered stair and upholstery tool will keep every square inch of your home squeaky clean. Because of these features and more, many fur parents find this model to be a great option for the best pet hair vacuum.
- Provides a thorough cleaning without the need for a power cord
- Offers a full-size cleaning head and a full-size dust bin
- With twice the battery life depending on the power mode
- Has 90% better suction compared to the Dyson V8
If you’re looking for the best cordless models, the Dyson Outsize Total Clean Cordless Vacuum has plenty to offer. It has an advanced filtration system that captures 99.99% of dust, allergens, and particles as small as 0.3 microns — more than other top models of the same caliber. Offering up to 120 minutes of running time, it comes with 3 cleaning modes to suit different floor types, where Dyson DLS technology kicks in to adapt to changes on the type of floor it’s cleaning to efficiently extend battery life.
- Comes with a set of specialized tools specifically for pet hair
- With a large and easy-to-use bin for dust and pet dander
- Uses a 14V lithium-ion battery for a longer run time
- Better cleaning through a triple-level filtration system
Plenty of fur parents agree that the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Lithium Ion Cordless Hand Vacuum is the best handheld vacuum they ever used. With various accessories such as the motorized brush, crevice tool, and upholstery tool, it can make quick work of pet hair and embedded dirt anywhere around your home, even in those hard-to-reach cracks and spaces within the furniture. It has a dirt capacity of 0.7 liters paired with an easy-to-empty bin and its 14V lithium-ion battery powers this high-quality vacuum that’s both compact and affordable.
- Powered through the IRobot OS for smarter cleaning
- Automatically avoids pets accidents and waste
- With PrecisionVision Navigation helps to maneuver safely
- Imprint Smart Mapping allows scheduling cleaning ahead of time
Since its release in 2021, the iRobot Roomba j7+ has slowly but surely become known as the best robot vacuum cleaner, where its capacity to clean large areas has become a crowd favorite. Using a combination of PrecisionVision Navigation and IRobot OS Technology, this smart robot vacuum cleaner can effectively navigate your home while cleaning every nook and cranny. Finally, it comes with a Pet Owner Official Promise (POOP), which guarantees that it will always avoid pet accidents and will automatically empty itself through the Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal.
- Perfectly cleans shedded fur as well as other types of messes
- With a removable battery that can be easily taken in and out
- Comes with a brush bar that prevents tangles
- Includes a 3-in-1 multi-way wall mount and charger
Among the available options in the market, the BLACK+DECKER POWERSERIES Extreme Pet Cordless Stick Vacuum is the best stick vacuum in our opinion. It has everything you need to pick up as much hair as you want, including an angled floorhead, an anti-tangle brush bar, a twist-to-clean filter, and a dust bin that’s easy to empty. As such, it’s the best choice for all kinds of surfaces to trap pet hair, pollen, dust, and other small particles with the added benefit of working without wires.
- Equipped with a cleaner head to work with vinyl, tiles, and carpets
- Boasts the strongest suction found in any vacuum
- With a combination tool, stair tool, and tangle-free turbine tool
- Allows you to empty the bin using just a button
A Dyson vacuum like no other, the Dyson Ball Animal 2 offers the strongest suction that’s unmatched by any other, providing even more power to tackle tough tasks. Because it can handle so many tasks easily, it does a great job with pet-related cleaning and can suck up as much dirt as you want. It also works using whole-machine filtration so that bacteria and allergens aren’t expelled back to your home, while a 5-year warranty covers labor and parts; the best gift that Dyson has to offer.
- Its small size houses a powerful motor
- Includes a crevice tool to help you thoroughly clean small spaces
- With a lengthy cord so you can clean your stairs and car
- Has a lightweight design so you can take it with you anywhere in the house
With the Dirt Devil Scorpion Quick Flip Corded Handheld Vacuum, you can clean up the mess made by your furry friend anywhere around your home. Small but powerful, this vacuum can quickly suck up pet hair, dirt, and debris, while its compact and light design allows you to go anywhere that its 16-foot-long cord reaches. It also comes with a removable filter that you can rinse for easy maintenance which will allow your vacuum last much longer.
- Includes a complete performance bundle with HEPA filters
- Carries a powerful yet quiet, 1200-Watt Vortex Motor
- Made in Germany and has an average lifespan of 20 years
- Comes with plenty of tools and accessories
Known as the best canister vacuum in the market, the Miele Complete C3 Cat and Dog HEPA Canister Vacuum made be costly but you won’t be disappointed with the results it delivers. Perfect for asthma or allergy sufferers, this bundle comes with 16 Genuine Miele GN Airclean FilterBags, 4 Pre-Motor Protection Filters, and 1 Genuine Miele HEPA Air Clean Filter AH-50, while its Active Air Clean Filter purifies the air around you. Its SEB-228 Powerhead is ideal for restoring and deep cleaning carpets and when combined with the STB101 Mini Turbo Brush, it’s the perfect tool for carpeted stairs and upholstery.
- Comes with a remote control and LCD screen for easy operation
- Equipped with anti-drop sensors to prevent falling from high places
- Comes with a 12-month warranty and offers customer support
- Slim, lightweight, and low-profile design that allows it to move under furniture
The ILIFE V3s Pro Robot Vacuum Cleaner offers a tangle-free solution to the pet hair you’ll find around your home, and can also tackle crumbs, dirt, and debris. It can work on various surfaces, including stone, low pile carpet, laminate, tile, and hardwood floors with a running time between 90 to 100 minutes. Another smart option, this robot vacuum automatically starts cleaning and follows a routine according to your schedule and will quickly make its way back to the charging dock when necessary.
- Comes with a 5-year labor and parts warranty
- With ball technology that creates a lower center of gravity
- Made from polycarbonate and ABS material making it highly durable
- Uses a self-adjusting cleaning head that works across every floor type
While many upright vacuums will have a fixed head, the Dyson DC40 Origin Upright Vacuum Cleaner offers a self-adjusting head that will adapt to any kind of floor. Its powerful HEPA filtration system captures microscopic particles as small as 0.5 microns, including mold, pollen, dirt, dust, and bacteria. There is also a wide range of tools that come with it like the stair tool and combination tool, while the transparent bin allows you to empty it with just the push of a button when needed.
- Has 5 adjustment settings for height and can clean floors and carpets
- At 10 pounds, it’s relatively light and easy to use
- This bagless vacuum comes with a big 2.6L dust bin
- Includes a unique pet turbo tool for thorough cleaning of pet hairs
For the most affordable vacuum that offers the most value for your money, be sure to check out the EUREKA PowerSpeed Upright Vacuum. This vacuum is equipped with a 12.6-inch-wide nozzle that helps you clean more of your floor faster while the 960-watt motor delivers a deep clean that will keep your environment free from pet dander. Finally, the tools stored inside this vacuum are great for pet owners, including the upholstery tool, cleaning wand, crevice tools, pet turbo tool, and dusting brush for a seamless experience.
- This slim robot vacuum is only 2.85” tall and works quietly
- With a high suction power of 1300 Pa for pet hair removal
- Runs for up to 100 minutes depending on usage
- Can work without supervision through drop-sensing technology
The RoboVac 11S comes complete with all the tools and accessories you could need for a home free from pet hair; with a remote control, charging base, high-performance filters, cleaning tool, side brushes, cable ties, and a 12-month warranty. Using its BoostIQ Technology, this robot vacuum intelligently increases its suction power once it senses more strength is needed for a deeper clean. It’s also equipped with a tempered and anti-scratch glass cover for protection, drop-sensing technology, a 0.6L dust bin, and infrared sensors to avoid obstacles.
Buyer’s Guide to The Best Dog Vacuums for Dogs that Shed
Being a pet owner comes with a lot of responsibilities. Your furry friend relies on you to ensure that he is well cared for, which is why you put so much effort into finding the very best dog products for him. He has a spacious outdoor dog kennel or a dog playpen to safely run around in when you can’t keep your eyes on him all the time.
You feed him the best dog food possible to ensure that his nutritional needs are being met (and you even feed him out of a high-quality dog bowl, too!) And he probably has tons of other gear to improve his safety and simply make sure that he is living his best life. For example, some of the products that you have for him might include a dog seat belt, interactive dog toys, or puzzle dog toys, and perhaps he even has automatic fetch machines to keep him entertained when you can’t toss his ball for him.
But while you likely have tons of products for your pet, there’s one product that every dog owner must not forget: a vacuum cleaner for dog hair! If you’ve never purchased a dog hair vacuum cleaner before, you’ve come to the right place! Below, we highlight why this tool is an absolute must, along with the most important factors to consider for the best vacuums for dog hair.
Features We Looked For
There are a lot of dog hair vacuums on the market. How can you tell which option will offer the best results? Here’s a look at some features that the very best pet hair vacuums offer.
- Non-tangle roller brushes: Pet hair can easily get tangled around the roller brush of a vacuum cleaner. The best vacuums for pet hair feature non-tangle roller brushes to eliminate issues.
- Additional tools: Pet hair can collect on virtually any surface of your home. That’s why the best vacuum cleaners for pet hair come complete with cleaning tools; pet hair brushes, crevice tools, and extended hoses, for example.
- Advanced filtration systems: Pets release a lot of dander and allergens. A high-quality pet hair vacuum will feature advanced filtration, such as a HEPA or carbon filter to trap those allergens, thereby improving the air quality of your home.
- Large dirt cups: You don’t want to worry about constantly emptying the dirt cup, so look for a vacuum cleaner that features a larger-than-average cup to collect dirt and debris.
Dog Hair Vacuum Review Conclusion
While you go above and beyond to ensure that your four-legged friend has the very best of everything, you also need to take care of yourself and your home. Having a pet is a wonderful thing, but the hair that he leaves behind can make your house look messy; not to mention, it can aggravate allergies.
By investing in a pet hair vacuum cleaner, you can keep your home spic-and-span, reduce allergens, and ensure that you and your furry best friend live together in harmony. Whether you invest in one of the vacuum cleaners featured on our list, or you purchase one that offers the features mentioned above, you will be able to keep your pet-friendly home neat and tidy.