When to Call the Vet When Your Dog Eats Something Strange

This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links, at no cost to you.

When To Call The Vet When Your Dog Eats Something StrangeCanines are curious by nature. They love to explore the world around them, and to do that, they often end up nibbling on things that they come into contact with. That’s why it’s so important to make sure that you are vigilant and lock away anything that could potentially harm your pooch. You can also try to prevent him from entering areas where he could come into contact with questionable items by using a dog gate, a dog playpen, or dog crate. Additionally, it’s a wise idea to familiarize yourself with human foods that aren’t safe for canine consumption. Sure, there are lots of foods that we eat that are considered safe and healthy dog food. Eggs, carrots, yogurt, and cheese are just some of the examples of people food that dogs can safely eat and could certainly be added to your pup’s dog bowl; heck, the best dog food brands and human-grade dog food contain ingredients that you probably have stored in refrigerator or pantry. However, things like chocolate, grapes, raisins, and onions are toxic for dogs and can even be fatal.

Despite your best efforts to protect your pooch, accidents can happen. Your pup could very well get into a cabinet, pick something up outside, rummage through a trash can, or someone else – or even you – could unknowingly offer your dog something that he shouldn’t be eating. In order to ensure your furry friend’s health isn’t in jeopardy, it’s important to know what to do if he does he something strange.

Depending on what it is that he’s eaten – and how much – simply monitoring your pup may be all that is necessary; for example, if you have a Great Dane and he eats a small piece of milk chocolate that your child drops on the floor, chances are that he is going to be just fine. However, if he’s eaten something hazardous and you notice any of the following symptoms, call your vet as soon as possible.

  • Hives
  • Profuse vomiting
  • Excessive diarrhea
  • Twitching
  • Lethargy
  • Tremors
  • Heavy drooling (especially if he normally doesn’t drool)
  • Seizures
  • Excessive coughing
  • Confusion
  • Increased water intake

These are all signs that your dog is has eaten something toxic and has likely been poisoned. If your canine companion does exhibit any of these signs, try not to panic, but act as quickly as possible. Put an emergency call into your vet and let him or her know the symptoms that your pet is presenting. If possible, let your vet know what your dog has consumed. Whatever you do, don’t act in haste; avoid first aid techniques that you think may work unless your vet has directed you to administer treatment. For instance, while vomit induction might seem like a good idea, depending on what your pup consumed, there’s a chance that it could aspirate into his lungs, which can cause further damage. If your vet advices you to bring your pup in for emergency treatment, make sure that he is properly secured to a dog harness or dog collar. If possible, have someone ride along with you to the vet to keep an eye on your dog while you’re traveling.

Remember, if you suspect your dog has eaten something strange and is having an adverse reaction, it’s important not to panic, but you do need to act quickly. The faster he receives proper vet-approved treatment, the better off he will be.