It might surprise you just how much versatility and convenience portable camping dog fences can provide, especially when you’re out for an adventure. Whether you’re looking to keep small dogs safe inside your vicinity or need to separate them from a larger dog, having a portable RV dog fence can be very useful. In this quick guide, we discuss the best portable dog fence options and where to find them for all your outdoor needs.
Why Should You Get a Portable RV Dog Fence?
There are many reasons why you might need a portable RV dog fence, some of which are highlighted below.
If you have a young puppy and want to keep it out of trouble, you may want to consider a dog fence that will let your dog roam around a specific area away from harm. It can also help to keep your dog where it needs to be during training sessions, so you never have to look for your dog.
While it’s perfectly fine to let your dog loose during a camping trip, it shouldn’t be allowed to run off wherever it pleases. Getting a portable RV dog fence is a great solution that will let your dog explore without getting into too much trouble.
Pet owners should always remember to keep a watchful eye on their dogs, and a portable RV dog fence is the quickest way to do this. Looking for a virtual option can take your monitoring to the next level by letting you see your dog’s activity to ensure it gets enough exercise.
For Injury Recovery
When dogs get injured, they need an area that’s designated for their rest and recovery. Setting up a portable RV dog fence can help give your dog a sense of calm and security when there’s a dedicated space for it to recover.
The Best Portable RV Dog Fences
If you’re thinking about getting a portable RV dog fence, be sure to consider the best options in the market which are listed below.
- Comes in a waterproof design that’s suitable for swimming and walks in the rain
- With a long battery life, which means there’s no need for frequent charging
- Setup is straightforward and won’t need any panels, cages, wires, WiFi, or ground anchors needed
- Uses high-quality materials for a lightweight yet durable collar designed for years of use
- Has an optional training program developed by “dog whisperer,” Cesar Millan
This GPS Dog Fence by Halo comes without any physical setup aside from placing the collar on your dog, which contributes to its portability and convenience. It works as a virtual fence and is a great option for keeping tabs on your dog’s activity — as such, you can make adjustments to keep things on track. With it, you can use different shapes to create the boundary lines of your fence, and the system is strong enough to maintain multiple dogs without the need for physical fences, cages, panels, or wires.
- This portable dog fence comes with a lightweight and minimalist design
- Provides a great option for camping in uneven terrain and areas with dense trees
- Allows for overlapping boundaries so your dog can explore as much as it wants
- Comes with an adjustable collar so it can fit larger and smaller dogs
- No need for a physical fence or any power tools to set it up
Just like the option above, the SpotOn Virtual Fence doesn’t come with a physical fence, which means it can be adjusted to the right size for dogs of all sizes. The GPS tracker it uses is also highly accurate, which means you’ll always get a pinpoint location on your dog, alerting you whenever it reaches beyond the boundaries you set. Because of these great features and more, it boasts one of the best boundary customization options in the market, and you’ll be happy to know that your pooch can have as much space for running as it wants.
- Has endless configuration options depending on how many panels you purchase
- Sturdy build quality made from durable materials like black-coated metal
- Easy to build and assemble, perfect for first-time users
- A portable option that’s easy to fold and store away
- Available in various sizes and 8, 16, 24, and 32-panel configurations
When you’re looking for a solution that’s stronger than pool noodles, look no further than Yaheetech Heavy Duty Wire Dog Playpen. Compared to the Ruff Land Kennel which offers little space for your pooch to move around in, this option is a great choice for large dogs that need room for stretching and walking around in. It can also be folded which provides easy storage, but you won’t believe how strong and sturdy it is — finally, it has a side lock gate that will keep your pup safe and secure.
- With this playpen, there’s no need to tie the end of the leash to the picnic table
- Simple and easy setup which is a good thing for people who don’t want to use small appliances for assembly
- With many height options that let you tailor your fence to your pet’s needs
- Uses a rust-resistant metal for its construction ensuring durability
- Comes at an affordable price point compared to many of the other options
The first thing you’ll notice about this option is the attractive price tag — it’s not cheap by any means and is made from quality materials that ensure your dog will be able to use it for a long time. It comes in various sizes, which is why it’s great for dogs of all sizes and it can also keep your dog safe from lawn mowers whenever they’re out and about in the yard. Included with this portable fence are anchors that can help keep it secure so that you won’t have to worry about the weather.
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors making it a good option for homes with multiple dogs
- Panels can be easily removed or added according to your needs
- Comes with a lock that’s easy to use and can keep your dog safe from a potential car accident
- This set can be extended to a 48-panel setup that can reach up to 1,000 feet
- May provide refunds for dissatisfied customers even without returns
The Rollick Dog Playpen by FXW lets you decide how much space your dog can have — you can choose to have a smaller enclosure or you can have something much bigger for multiple dogs. You can also pick from various height options ranging from 24 to 40 inches, so you can create a setup that’s ideal for both you and your dogs. It comes with ground stakes that have rounded edges, which is a good idea if you have dogs that love to dig — these will prevent injuries and keep your pooch safe.
- Comes in different colors and finishes that provide a minimalist addition to your home
- Its tight spacing provides better containment for smaller dogs and puppies
- Offers more space compared to Ruffland Kennel, which may be too small for medium to large dogs
- Can be used both inside and outside of your home and can be used in different ways
- Is proudly made in the USA and boasts impressive durability
The IRIS USA Dog Playpen is made from strong and durable plastic; while this may not sound like a good option at first, you’ll be thoroughly satisfied by its strength. Made using thick components and with a sturdy design, it’s one of the few portable fences that are both affordable and high quality. Moreover, it’s naturally lighter compared to its metal counterparts and can simply be snapped together to assemble, so it’s highly convenient.
Portable RV Dog Fence Buyer’s Guide
To ensure that you get the best possible option from the pet store, be sure to consider the following factors.
- Height: If you have large dogs, it’s highly beneficial to construct a high fence, but if you have small dogs then you should be fine with a relatively short fence. Be sure to consider your dog’s height when standing on its hind legs.
- Material: When it comes to virtual fences, be sure to look for a durable collar. But when it comes to physical fences, look into strong plastic and metal materials.
- Shape: Be sure to look for designs that can be adjusted. While regular or square shapes are your typical options, octagons and circles are also desirable. However, virtual fences will offer the most versatility and adjustability.
- Weight: A heavy fence is out of the question when you’re looking for a portable option, so be sure to look for an option that you can easily move around.
- Size: Even if you’re looking to contain your dog, it should still be able to move around with enough space.
While virtual fences won’t have the limitations of size, height, and shape of a physical fence, they don’t provide the same security you have when you see your dog right in front of you and behind a fence. But if you want to save money, you can always opt for a physical fence that can be folded away into a small storage area. Each one of the options above can be a good choice for your dog’s new portable RV dog fence — each will have their pros and cons, but they’re all great ideas for you to try.