In fact, a quality harness can prevent severe injury to your Shih Tzu. If you plan on taking your Shih Tzu for walks, a harness is the better choice than a collar. In fact, a harness will give you better control of your Shih Tzu and lead to more comfortable and safe outings. However, it is critical you select the proper harness to prevent injury and keep your pet comfortable.
Best Dog Harnesses for Shih Tzus
Here are our Shih Tzu dog harness reviews.
EcoBark harnesses are safe, fun and natural. Made from recycled water bottles, EcoBark harnesses are hypoallergenic. The nu pull design helps your Shih Tzu’s legs from coming out and getting caught.
- The EcoBark is made from breathable double layered mesh fabric.
- The ultra padded vests include anti-rub technology to prevent chafing.
- The harness is escape proof and designed to sit up higher on your dog to prevent their legs getting caught.
The PoyPet harness was made with your pet’s safety and security in mind. With a convenient manner of taking the harness on and off, there’s no need to pull it over your Shih Tzu’s head. The breathable fabric stays cool in the summer and insulates in the winter.
- PoyPet features two leash attachment hooks.
- This harness has a soft training handle for greater control
- The reflective material makes your dog visit in low light situations.
The Kurgo Tru-Fit harness is perfect for everyday wear with your Shih Tzu. With a rear clip for normal walking and a front clip for training, this harness is ideal for Shih Tzus of all ages. And, it is lightweight and won’t pull your Shih Tzu down or cause fatigue.
- Lightweight Kurgo also features a dog seatbelt.
- There are five adjustable points and a plastic quick release button.
- Kurgo is committed to quality and comes with a hassle-free lifetime warranty.
The Rabitgoo is highly rated by owners of toy breed dogs, like Shih Tzus. This harness features a no-pull design, so it is perfect for even young Shih Tzu puppies. The snug fit ensures your Shih Tzu will stay safe.
- Two fast release buckles ensure the harness can guard your Shih Tzu and prevent him from slipping out.
- Two neck straps and two chest straps make for custom adjustment.
- Two D-rings are included, a front and a back pull for training or walking.
The Voyager Step-in harness is totally adjustable to your Shih Tzu. Unlike other harnesses that may come in a one-size-fits-all design, Voyager is fitted with the most adjustment points to create a custom fit. And with two metal D-rings, it can be used for training purposes or walks.
- Voyager comes with a padded mesh panel for comfort.
- The straightforward step-in design takes the hassle out of preparing for walks
- Voyager is available in black, red, turquoise and fuchsia.
Shih Tzu Dog Harness Buyer’s Guide
More and more, pet owners are considering buying a dog harness and using that over a collar for walks. This is especially important in the case of the Shih Tzu, which has an extremely delicate neck. In fact, Shih Tzus have suffered from collapsed tracheas because of poorly fitting collars and pulling. Dog harnesses also work well when you are training your Shih Tzu puppy. If you are interested in purchasing a dog harness for your Shih Tzu, you may be curious about what makes a quality harness. When you’re searching for a harness, there are a few elements that you should consider.
Lightweight, breathable material
Shih Tzu are energetic dogs, but it’s critical that the harness that they wear is lightweight and comfortable. A heavy harness will add to excess fatigue in your pet. Look for harnesses with breathable mesh that will keep cool in the summer and insulate in the winter.
Multiple points of adjustment
It’s critical that the harness you purchase for your Shih Tzu has multiple points of adjustment. This ensures the most secure fit so that your Shih Tzu stays safe and comfortable. Look for harnesses that offer at least three points of adjustment and ideally five. Also harnesses that have adjustment at the neck and girth are ideal
Durable stitching and material
The harness you purchase should be made of durable nylon fabric with double stitching or durable mesh. This ensures that the harness will be wearproof and waterproof. The double stitching should be present around the D-ring to ensure that the leash stays secure on the harness.
Your Shih Tzu and your safety are paramount. Look for harnesses that feature reflective materials that will keep your pet visible in low light. This is also important for you if you are going to take your pet out for a walk at night. Reflective materials help other pedestrians and automobile drivers see you and your pet.
- Best Leash for Dogs that Pull
- Best Dog Harness
- Best Dog Muzzle
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Bike Trailer
- Best Dog Stroller
- Best Dog Training Collar
- Best Dog Leash for Running
- Best Dog Food for Shih Tzus
- Best Puppy Food for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Crate for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Bed for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Brush for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Toys for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Collar for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Muzzle for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Shampoo for Shih Tzus