The American Bully is one of the most spectacular dog breeds in the breeding market. These hybrids have become quite famous due to their humungous, muscular build.
You might get deceived by their large size, thinking them as some, fierce dogs. You might be amazed if you get to know that they are quite friendly. These dogs can perform their duties well as a companion dog.
American Bully History
The American Bully is known to join the breeding world between the 1980s-1990s and is quite a new breed. These dogs have been recognized by some significant Kennel clubs like UKC quite recently (similar to the Pocket Bully breed).
They were a hybrid that was developed by mixing the American Pitbull Terrier and American Staffordshire Terrier. However, according to some researchers, these dogs were also influenced by American Bulldogs, French Bulldogs, Olde English Bulldogges, and English Bulldogs.
Upon first interaction, people mostly mistake them as American Pitbulls or the American Bulldog. Those of you who know how to observe dogs will understand that there are some significant differences between them.
These hybrids were selectively bred meticulously to ensure that the traits of aggressiveness were removed. The American Pitbull Terriers were known to have hunting instincts, so the breeders tried removing this trait from the American Bully to ensure that these dogs become an ideal choice as a family pet.
American Bully Characteristics
The muscular American Bully is reported to come in four different sizes and has been allotted with unique names. The shortest one is called the pocket version. In this version, the males are under 17 inches tall while the females are under 14 inches. Then there is a Standard version followed by the Classic version.
After that, there is an XL version. The biggest of all is the XXL American Bully. These spectacular dogs are up to 23 inches tall and can weigh around 120 pounds.
The one thing that is common in all the sizes is the ultimate muscular build. These dogs have a well-proportioned head, a large nose, broad muzzle, and cheeks. Their facial features are excellent and well-defined.
Their nose can be of black, brown, blue or isabella in color. They have a broad, deep, and muscular chest and strong legs.
These dogs have a shorter coat, which gives them a silky-smooth look. Their fur is found in several colors, including sable, brindle, black, brown, and others.
American Bully Temperament/Personality
The American Bully is known to be a sweet pet. If you have kids and are looking out for a dog that can get along with them, voilà! The American Bully is the dog for you. These dogs love to stay around children and play with them. These dogs are known to have an amiable nature; therefore, they are not suitable as your guard dogs.
These affectionate dogs are loyal to their owners. Although these dogs are not bred to show aggression, they are known to have a canine drive when they see other dogs. They are not known to have good relations with other pets. So, we would suggest you socialize them early to improve their relationships with other pets.
Caring for American Bully
You might be wondering how difficult it would be to pet these dogs. For your ease, we have shared all the necessary details regarding their care, below.
American Bully Nutrition
Observing the size and muscle mass of these dogs, we suggest you feed them 4 cups of kibble per day. These dogs have high dietary requirements. However, it is also true that they might suffer from obesity like other large dogs.
We would suggest you buy a high-quality kibble for these dogs. Due to their large size, the American Bullies often face a joint pain issue. You can add glucosamine supplements in their diet to avoid such situations. It is also necessary that you keep your dog well hydrated throughout the day.
American Bully Grooming
The smooth and glossy American Bully does not require heavy grooming. These dogs are known to be moderate shedders, so it will be fine if you brush them just a few times weekly. You may use a bristle brush in this regard.
However, it is essential to brush their teeth regularly to ensure dental hygiene. You should also keep a keen check on the cleanliness of their ears and their nail growth. Their ears should be cleaned every week using a soft cotton cloth.
American Bully Activity Levels
The American Bully will need a significant amount of exercise daily. Their physical activities depend much on their sizes. The XXL American Bully requires a higher level of movement, while the Pocket version cannot do much due to a lesser muscle mass and shorter legs.
On average, these dogs require a moderate level of exercise. This includes at least a 60-minute walk daily. Per week, the American Bully likes to walk or run at least 12 miles to stay fit.
American Bully Maintenance
We have observed that if you pet an American Bully, it will not be much hard for you to maintain them well. This is one of the reasons why these dogs have gained such massive popularity in such a short time. It is not much difficult to train these dogs even.
You are only supposed to keep a proper check on their hygiene, diet, and activity levels, and it is evident that it is not that difficult to do that.
American Bully Health
Since an American Bully is a new breed, the researchers are not sure of all the health disorders which might afflict these dogs. However, due to their large size and muscular build, these dogs might be susceptible to hip and elbow dysplasia.
It is also seen that these dogs are at risk of having BOAS, which is associated with breathing problems. They might also encounter cherry eyes. However, if these dogs stay healthy, they can stay by your side for around 12 years.
Breeds Similar to American Bully
Best Dog Food for American Bullies
The best dog food for American Bullies is judged by keenly observing their physique and activity requirements, so the best one for these dogs is Taste of The Wild Pacific Stream Canine Recipe. This dog food’s recipe aligns with your American Bully’s nutritional requirements, as the makers have added a variety of natural ocean fish meal and salmon to diversify its protein sources. This is also the reason behind its rich taste, while the presence of other dietary essentials in the right amount makes it a preferred choice.
- Features a recipe that is mainly dominated by ingredients that are easier to digest, so your American Bully will not find it difficult to utilize the energy.
- Features chelated minerals, so their absorption is ensured to be maximum; thus, your American Bully stays healthy.
- Enriched with natural fruits and vegetables and lacks fillers, so it will not cause any unnecessary weight gain.
Best Puppy Food for American Bullies
The best puppy food for American Bullies is Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy Food. This puppy food is cooked to meet the food cravings of an active and agile pup like your American Bully. To ensure that the recipe has a rich taste, the makers have used natural chicken as its primary ingredient while has avoided the use of components, which are mainly fillers or meat by-products.
- Features a high-protein recipe, so it will be apt for the growth of a muscular dog like your American Bully.
- Enriched with DHA and ARA, so your American Bully will have an apt brain and optical development that is usually required in puppyhood.
- Features a recipe that lacks grains, so it will be suitable for the sensitive digestive response of puppies generally and will be easier to digest
Best Dog Crate for American Bullies
The best dog crate for American Bullies is Frisco Ultimate Heavy Duty Steel Dog Crate. This dog crate is designed while keeping the temperament of a hardy dog that is tough to manage at times, just like your American Bully. So, the crate’s engineers have welded the steel tubing pretty well and made it safer for use.
- Features sturdy latches which are tough enough for escapade
- Features thicker tubing that is designed to have a hammer-tone finish to make the crate more durable
- Comes with a removable base pan that can be cleaned without any hassle
Best Dog Bed for American Bullies
The best dog bed for American Bullies is PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Memory Foam Dog Bed. This dog bed provides the orthopedic support which your American Bully would wish to have at the end of a busy day. The addition of a four-inch high orthopedic foam, coupled with bolsters with polyfillings, makes this bed a cozy corner to relax.
- Lacks bolster on one side, so your American Bully will be able to climb the bed pretty easily.
- The cover is designed using a chew-resistant fabric, so it is safe for use for a chewer like your American Bully.
- The cover can be washed in a machine.
Best Dog Harness for American Bullies
The best dog harness for American Bullies is Chai’s Choice 3M Reflective Dog Harness. This dog harness is completely crafted using polyester, so it will last longer. Since this harness also features reflective stitching, it can be used for a walking or training session at any time, may it be day or night.
- The efficient chest padding makes this harness more comfortable to wear
- Features a dual-clip design, so you can clip the leash wherever you like
- Features adjustable buckles and straps, so you can adjust the fitting that is required for your American Bully.
Best Dog Collar for American Bullies
The best dog collar for American Bullies is Blueberry Pet Paisley Print Dog Collar. The makers have used a high-density polyester webbing to craft this collar. Since the collar features a neoprene padding as well, it is pretty convenient for your American Bully to wear it during long walks.
- Features a simple buckle closure that provides a hassle-free application
- The collar is machine washable, so it can be cleaned whenever you think it is looking dirty.
- Available in unique prints which will make your American Bully look more attractive
Best Dog Muzzle for American Bullies
The best dog muzzle for American Bullies is CollarDirect Leather Dog Muzzle for Staffordshire & Terrier. Since your American Bully’s snout’s shape is similar to his parents, this dog collar would be a great choice. The makers have designed this dog collar to have a basket-like design that is pretty well-ventilated for a better experience.
- A suitable choice for grooming sessions, vet visits, and even training sessions
- Designed using genuine leather, so it is pretty soft yet durable to wear
- The fitting is quite adjustable, so you can make it fit your American Bully on your own
Best Dog Toys for American Bullies
The best dog toy for American Bullies is KONG Extreme Dog Toy. This dog toy is best for active fetching sessions and is also a great treat-dispensing toy. The latter makes it better equipment for positive reinforcement methods, so you can use it for your American Bully’s training sessions.
- Helps treat separation anxiety issues
- An excellent toy for preventing your American Bully to chew furniture as this dog toy is made using the toughest rubber, so it is a great chew toy.
- Helps improve your relationship with your American Bully
Best Dog Brush for American Bullies
The best dog brush for American Bullies is JW Pet Gripsoft Bristle Brush. This dog brush features fine nylon bristles that are designed to pick dead hair pretty efficiently and redistribute natural oils. This brush also helps massage your American Bully’s coat, so it would be a great choice for his grooming sessions.
- Features a comfortable Gripsoft rubber-sheathed grip that makes your experience better as well
- An excellent grooming brush for daily use so would be suitable for American Bullies as they require daily brushing sessions.
- Features an ergonomic design
Best Dog Shampoo for American Bullies
The best dog shampoo for American Bullies is PetAg Fresh ‘N Clean Scented Dog Shampoo. This dog shampoo helps deodorize your American Bully and treat odor issues. It also works miraculously when it comes to cleansing and moisturizing your American Bully’s coat, as the makers have used natural sourced botanical extracts in this regard.
- Features well-balanced, so will not cause skin dryness issues.
- The formulation is devoid of alcohol and soap.
- Keeps your American Bully scented for up to two weeks
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Automatic Dog Feeder
- Best Interactive Dog Toys
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog House
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Dog Treat
- Best Automatic Fetch Machine
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Food Container
- Best Electronic Dog Door
- Best Dog Ramp
- Best Dog Cooling Vest
- Best GPS Tracker for Dogs
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Dog Cooling Pad
- Best Indestructible Dog Bed
- Best Dog Training Book