The Cesky Terrier, national dog of the Czech Republic, is a clever and adventurous playmate for kids and an eager walking buddy. The originator of the Cesky was a Czech breeder and geneticist Frantisek Horak. After nearly 30 years of research and breeding Scottish Terriers with Sealyham Terriers the Cesky Terrier was officially recognized by the Federation Cynologique Internationale (FCI) as an established breed.
They are a scarce breed, with only about 600 living in America. The breed entered the Terrier Group on June 30, 2011. The Cesky Terrier has appeared at Westminster; and received its first Group 1 win on October 14, 2012.
Cesky Terrier Appearance
Ceskys are muscular and short-legged no taller than 13 inches at the shoulder with a length of 15 to 17 inches and weigh 14 to 24 pounds. Their fine, silky coat comes in several shades of gray, including a stunning platinum. They have wavy facial hair and a medium-long neck.
A Cesky Terrier’s coat requires daily brushing and regular trimming. The legs and belly are left unclipped to form a low skirt, while the hair on the foreface is grown into a beard and eyebrows. The hair on their feet and between their pads need to be trimmed to prevent the hair from forming mats. The Cesky coat does not shed dirt as some harder coats do, so he needs regular baths. They tend to grow a lot of hair in the ears, and this should be removed during each grooming appointment to prevent ear infections.
Cesky Terrier’s life expectancy is 12 to 15 years. The Cesky is a well-mannered dog who loves to play. He’s not prone to extreme behaviors, like aggression or nervousness. Ceskys do not bark much because they don’t find there to be much that excites them enough to bark. The Cesky is typically reserved around strangers, though he is polite. However, he is not born with politeness as an inherent trait. He must be taught early on with frequent socialization, boundaries, and limitations when he is still a puppy.
The Cesky’s calmer demeanor makes him a good choice for a household pet, rather than a pet who serves as a workout buddy. He does, however, have a high energy level. He’s just not quick to snap or jump at every little thing. He’d much rather use that energy to run around the yard or chase potential prey. He needs regular exercise so that his higher energy level does not backfire on both him and you and lead to destructive or otherwise unwanted behavior.
Typically, the Cesky is not aggressive with other people or dogs. They are extremely gentle with children of all ages and get along well with dogs and other animals, provided that they are socialized well from an early age. He is a more sociable dog than most Terriers. However, if he sees something small, like a squirrel or mouse, he will take off after it like it’s the last time he’ll ever get to do it.
Caring for a Cesky Terrier
Next, we’ll go into how you should care for a Cesky Terrier.
Cesky Terriers do well when consuming high-quality dog food, whether commercially manufactured with meat listed as the first ingredient or home-prepared (with veterinarian’s supervision and approval). Fresh fruits and vegetables can also be included in the Cesky diets. All diets need to be appropriate for the dog’s age (puppy, adult, or senior). Ceskys love to eat, so carefully monitor his food intake to avoid an overweight Cesky. Although helpful in aiding training, giving too many treats will cause obesity. Clean, fresh water should be available at all times. Of course, a veterinarian is the best resource when there are questions regarding diet.
Like all terriers, Cesky Terriers are a highly energetic breed and require regular exercise and play. When not given the chance to spend their excess energy they can often turn destructive. Therefore, they are best suited for families with large yards where they can play freely. However, they are also able to live in smaller living spaces provided that they are given regular exercise. Although a small breed of dog, they make excellent jogging and hiking partners. Ceskys must always be on a leash when not within a securely enclosed area for their safety since they will chase small animals.
The Cesky’s intelligence and lower level of stubbornness makes him a joy to train. They will shut down if faced with negative or harsh training methods, so exercise only a positive, reward-based approach to training. They have a very high prey drive, however, which should be squelched from the beginning. Cesky Terriers are extremely intelligent, sensible, and feisty, which makes them a good candidate for training for dog sports. Something you will need to train him out of is being a food thief; it’s not only rude to steal someone’s food, but he may also be more likely to gain weight.
With a small gene pool in the United States, breeders are doing their best to eliminate genetic health problems that are currently possible in the breed. These include patellar luxation (when the dog’s kneecap (patella) is dislocated from its normal position in the groove of the thigh bone), cardiac problems, progressive retinal atrophy, and cataracts.
Many suffer from a neurological issue known as Scotty Cramps. Symptoms typically arise after the dog exercises or becomes overly excited. The episodes may continue for up to 30 minutes and include such signs as gasping, shortness of breath; the dog may even stop breathing for a short time, contraction of facial muscles, arching of lumbar spine, stiffening of hind limbs or sudden collapse.
Ears should be cleaned regularly to remove excess wax and other debris with a soft cloth or cotton balls. Never use cotton swabs as they may cause damage to the ear canal; only a veterinarian should perform cleaning with swabs. Regularly trim nails to avoid overgrowth and cracking. You may use a nail clipper or a grinding tool. Teeth should be brushed often, using a toothpaste designed for dogs. Gum disease can lead to heart, liver, and kidney problems.
Best Dog Food For Cesky Terriers
To fulfill the nourishment of the body a premium quality dog food is a must-have at every home, and the best dog food for Cesky Terriers is Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Grain-Free Dry Dog Food. This nutritious yet tasty commercial dry food combines smoked salmon, peas, potatoes, lentils, etc. Blueberries, Raspberries, etc., make this food perfect for boosting immunity.
- This fiber-rich wholesome diet keeps the dog full for hours and also takes care of digestive health.
- This super delicious food follows the animal food safety standards word for word.
- The chelated minerals added to the food ensure absorption of important nutrients.
Best Puppy Food For Cesky Terriers
As the very first year after birth determines the healthy well being of the dogs in later like, it is essential to feed your puppy with the best quality puppy food and according to our team of experts, the best puppy food for Cesky Terriers would be Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Small Paws Chicken Meal, Barley & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food. The special nibble size kibbles are of great taste and combine liver flavor. This wholesome grain diet is responsible for a healthy heart along with overall growth in puppies.
- This delicious chicken meal is full of DHA and ARA, which are the vital ingredients of dog mother’s milk.
- In their savory food, multiple vitamins, including E and C, work together to prevent the chances of falling sick.
- This highly digestible diet has been formulated in the USA with chicken, wheat, corn, barley, rice, etc.
Best Dog Bed For Cesky Terriers
A night of good restorative sleep in a comfy slumber zone can directly result in a good mood in dogs, and that is why the best dog bed for Cesky Terriers is FurHaven Quilted Orthopedic Sofa Cat & Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover. Bolsters from three sides surround the bed, and these are constructed with recycled fillers. The bed’s quilted sleeping surface promotes proper airflow and soothes the pressure point of the dog’s body.
- This medical-grade bed consists of a superior quality orthopedic foam.
- The comfy and supportive bed provides a warranty of a maximum 1 month.
- The bed cover is very easy to clean, and it hardly glues any loose fur to it.
Best Dog Crate For Cesky Terriers
If you are concerned about the safety of your adorable dog while left alone at home, you should definitely put it in a crate, and according to many, the best dog crate for Cesky Terriers would be MidWest LifeStages Double Door Collapsible Wire Dog Crate. This five-star product can be folded down to a small portable size, and due to its flexible shape, the crate easily fits any vehicle. This secure crate is home to your Cesky terrier from the inside while it is just another piece of furniture from the outside.
- To eliminate chances of wound and injury, there is no sharp corner in the crate.
- This adult-sized crate is quite transferable because of its added roller feet on four sides.
- Other than a carrying handle, the crate also combines a divider panel and a composite plastic pan.
Best Dog Harness For Cesky Terriers
A good dog harness can reduce your Cesky terrier into a well-mannered family companion, and according to us, the best dog harness for Cesky Terriers would be Frisco Small Breed Soft Vest Step In Back Clip Dog Harness. Built with incredibly soft breathable mesh, the harness comes in a wide range of sizes, starting from extra small to extra large. This convenient daily walking harness looks like an ordinary vest, and for easy removal, it features a step-on design.
- The fast-release buckle and rings allow one to add the ID, Tag, Leash, etc., and get a proper fit.
- For optimal night visibility, the harness has a few reflective bands added to it.
- Frisco offers four colors for this model.
Best Dog Collar For Cesky Terriers
To help your terrier look beautiful, all you need is an elegant yet fashionable dog collar, and the best dog collar for Cesky Terriers is PetSafe Nylon Martingale Dog Collar. This martingale style collar has a double loop system for adjustment and multiple silver-coated accessories. Available in four classic colors, this collar barely chokes the neck and looks fantastic with any coat type.
- It is pretty hard for the smartest dogs to escape this non-slip collar.
- For this particular model, Petsafe offers up to 20 inches of neck size.
- There is a printable measuring guide available to choose the right size from the five options.
Best Dog Muzzle For Cesky Terriers
A comfortable and lightweight dog muzzle can make a significant difference in your dog’s behavior, and the best dog muzzle for Cesky Terriers is CollarDirect Adjustable Nylon Dog Muzzle Set. This muzzle not only restricts biting and barking but also doesn’t make it problematic for the Cesky terrier to breathe freely. This affordable dog muzzle is engineered with fine quality nylon, and it sits tightly on the snout.
- Such a heavy-duty dog muzzle, provides the ultimate comfort for a prolonged period due to its extra padding.
- This two-piece muzzle is suitable for dogs of any breed or size.
- This weather-resistant muzzle features side-buckles for swift release.
Best Dog Toys For Cesky Terriers
For most terrier dogs, toys seem like an instrument to kill time, and we feel that the best dog toys for Cesky Terriers are ZippyPaws Burrow Squeaky Hide & Seek Plush Dog Toy, Log & Chipmunks. Such a plush toy not only diverts the dog’s mind for hours together but also challenges their level of intellect. The squeaky plush chipmunks entice the Cesky Terriers to play with them and to prolong the playtime.
- Though these plush chipmunks tolerate heavy thrashing, the same can’t be said for the dog’s chewing practice.
- It is okay to place them in a washing machine but don’t use the dryer at all.
- There come two of three of the chipmunks with a plush trunk in a single pack.
Best Dog Brush For Cesky Terriers
With the help of a professional grooming kit, it is possible to give your pet the most elegant look, and the best dog brush for Cesky Terriers would be Four Paws Magic Coat Professional Series Instant Mat & Tangle Remover. This white and blue brush features reversible quills, which helps in detangling and de-shedding a lot. The relatively longer handle is designed for a comfortable grip, and it conforms to the shape of the human hand.
- Perfect for every coat type, the brush induces natural oil formation and makes the coat shinier instantly.
- This supreme brush discourages further mat formation.
- Many dogs think of this brush as a massaging kit as it reaches every corner of the body and scratches the irritating parts.
Best Dog Shampoo For Cesky Terriers
Good dog shampoo is all you need to keep your terrier in shape with fluffy clean fur, and in our opinion, the best dog shampoo for Cesky Terriers is Buddy Wash Relaxing Green Tea & Bergamot Dog Shampoo & Conditioner. The shampoo includes several cosmetic grade ingredients and natural extracts available in two varied sizes of bottles. It also features rare essential oils, which contribute to two weeks long fragrance.
- This alcohol-free shampoo doesn’t interrupt other dermatological treatments.
- This coconut-based grooming product acts miraculously in repairing the damaged skin.
- For best result, this USA-made shampoo should be applied on a wet coat with some lukewarm water.
- How Much Does A Cesky Terrier Cost?
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Automatic Dog Feeder
- Best Interactive Dog Toys
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog House
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Dog Treat
- Best Automatic Fetch Machine
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Food Container
- Best Electronic Dog Door
- Best Dog Ramp
- Best Dog Cooling Vest
- Best GPS Tracker for Dogs
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Dog Cooling Pad
- Best Indestructible Dog Bed
- Best Dog Training Book
- 10 Breeds Most Compatible with Cesky Terriers
The American Cesky Terrier Fanciers Association, Inc.